My new farm style table w/mismatched chairs!

So this was my table long ago…When we bought this house almost 9 years ago, we bought mostly all new furniture and everything was black.  Slowly i started figuring out my style and doing things to my space to change it up so it would better reflect how i wanted my space to look.  One of those things was giving this big black table a makeover.

I liked spaces that were light and bright.  The black counter height table was heavy and dark and wasn’t the look i liked anymore.  So i changed it.

Sweet Pickins - Farm Table

I wanted more of a farmhouse look, so i painted the table white and replaced the top with a new top made from new lumber.  While it made the table so much better and my space so much brighter and more my current style – it was still a counter height table.  I learned that i hate counter height tables!  They are trendy and thats been the thing for a while – but i hate them.  They are impractical and a pain to use.  Plus i feel like it took up a lot of visual space.

*To see my post of how i did the new top – go here*

Sweet Pickins - Farm Table

I decided that i wanted a regular height table back in May and sold my table.  I had somewhat of a plan of what i wanted, but didnt know for sure and went back and forth for months on what i wanted to do.  I couldnt decide between a tressle style table, all stained, all painted, farmhouse table…then what kind of chairs?  I even bought a farm style table from my friend along with 8 matching chairs and painted that and brought it in – but it was way too small.  I finally made up my mind, after looking at tons of inspiration pics online (google image is my total BFF) – that i wanted a long farm table, reclaimed wood top, and mismatched – multicolored chairs.  Then i finally got to it!  I wanted this table done before the holidays – i’ve been tableless since May and it was time to get’er done :)

This is what i ended up with…my style has changed and evolved tons since we bought this house and i think its finally just how i want it.  Of course there are still lots of projects i want to do – but i think i finally have it right :)  I love mostly white background and then lots of color – soft, pastel colors.  My heart goes all pitter patter over mismatched fabrics, worn out furniture, anything patchwork, pieces that have been loved, chippy paint – things that have a story.  I want my house, even though its fairly new, to look like it has a story to tell :)

**These pics are not the greatest – its cold and yucky here and no sun, i will take better pics when i post about my other kitchen projects!**

Sweet Pickins - Farm Table

Building the table was pretty easy.  My daughter and i worked on it for a full day pretty much.  We went to the shop in the morning to build and paint it, then came home and put it together.  And because of facebook, i know the questions that will get asked the most, so its easier for me to # everything and go down the list!

1.  Size of the table.  I wanted my table to comfortably sit 3 chairs on each side.  I placed 3 chairs on the floor and measured from there – this was the easiest way for me to see the size i wanted – i need to see it laid out!  My table ended up being 8 ft long and about 3 1/2 ft wide.  It can comfortably sit 8, but we can get 12 there if we needed to.  And i was so happy that the table ended up fitting my rug perfectly – i love that rug and didnt want to buy a new one!
  2. Legs were purchased new from Osborne Wood.  When i looked at antique farm tables online, i was drawn to the ones with a bit slimmer legs and a wider table skirt.  I wanted my table to look more authentic, so i went with the slimmer leg.  I purchased the cheapest option as i knew i would just be painting them and didnt care what kind of wood it was.
  3. The top is actual reclaimed barn wood.  I got this off our local classifieds.  I paid about $140 for 5 11ft long pieces.  The wood came from an old barn roof so it was somewhat protected from the elements.  It worked out perfect because the wood wasnt all dried out and porous and it was fairly smooth.  The wood was also very straight and not warped at all – even the sides were  pretty straight and nothing had to be planed.
  4. Chairs were collected here and there – one is new, the rest are vintage and antique.

Building

I started with my table legs, wood for the top and 3 8ft sections of 6 in pine (not pictured.

I cut my top to length and laid it out on the ground.  We measured in from the sides/top and figured out how much of an overhang we wanted – this is just personal preference on how much you want.  I actually made my table wider, but when i got home and got it all put together, the overhang was a little too much so i cut down one of my boards.  I did purposely leave a longer overhang on the ends as i wanted to add little corbels for some character.

After the sides and ends were all cut, i cut 2 cross beams from 2×4’s.  This will give me something to attach the wood top too and will make the table even more sturdy.  I also cut a corner piece for each leg.  The corner pieces ends are just 45 degree angles.  Its very important to have the corner pieces – it ties everything together and makes it very stable.

Sweet Pickins - farm table

Then, to attach all my pieces together, i used my Kreg Jig to make pocket hole joints.  If you build anything, then you have to get this tool!  I cant even tell you how much i use this thing and its so so easy to use!

Sweet Pickins - farm table

All the circles are where i made my pocket holes.  Ends where legs meet the skirt, corner brackets, 2×4 braces to attach to the skirt and then on the ends to attach the top.

Sweet Pickins - farm table

After my table was all built, we got started staining!  I wanted dark wood to show through when my paint chipped, so i stained them in Ash by Varathane.  When the stain was pretty much dry, i gave them 3 quick coats of Rustoleum Lacquer.  If i didnt seal in the raw wood, my milk paint wouldnt chip.  The lacquer worked perfect to get my paint nice and chippy :)

Sweet Pickins - farm table

I put that girl to work!!  She really was so helpful :)

Sweet Pickins - farm table

I didnt take a pic of the painting part, but we used Flour Sack – Sweet Pickins Milk of course!  Flour Sack is the brightest of the whites and worked perfect against the dark stained wood.  I painted on 2 coats of paint – no Extra Bond used.  See how chippy it went!

Sweet Pickins - farm table

For the top – i got lucky and my reclaimed wood was straight, not warped at all and didnt need any planing.  The wood was fairly smooth already, so i just took my orbital sander to it with 120 grit and gave it a light sand.  I didnt take any pics of that part – but this is the wood after.  You can see from the test piece on the side, that i did test out a few different stains, but i ended up leaving the wood natural and am so glad i did!  The wood has so much character – i think all the black spots are oil or tar left behind from whatever was covering it.  It has the old nail holes and the old saw blade marks – its amazing!!

Sweet Pickins - farm table

After getting the table all built, sanded, and painted – we loaded it all up in the truck and came home to assemble it!  The paint was dry by the time we got home, so i gave it all a good sanding to get off the chipped paint.

Sweet Pickins - farm table

I didnt take much pics of the actual building part – i was just too excited to get this done!  It was also late and i was tired :)  I did snap this pic – Zailee always writes a little story on all of our projects that we do together – too cute!

We attached everything together with screws.  I used wood glue for everything.  After my base was all assembled, i just laid down the top and attached that from up underneath.  My attaching the top to the center 2×4’s and then with the pocket holes at the ends, its very secure.

Sweet Pickins - farm table

After my table was all built, i sealed the top with 3 or 4 coats of Varathane Floor Finish that was left over from my shop floors.  This went on really easy and dries to a hard durable finish.  The top was a bit shiny, so i just used some fine grit sand paper and dulled it down a little when it was dry.

Sweet Pickins - farm table

Then came the worst part of all – the chairs…ughhh!!  Chairs are the worst to paint!!!  I painted them with all of our pastelish colors of Sweet Pickins Milk Paint. I used Sweetie Jane, Patina, Oh Olive!, Tickled Pink and Love Bug.  The coral chair was already painted, the light yellow is original paint and the shorter white one has the original paint as well – i still may paint that chair.

Sweet Pickins - farm table

I had a day of watching netflix and painting chairs – fun times :)

Sweet Pickins - farm table

And done!  I still need to wax my chairs – i think i will take one a day and do that :)

Sweet Pickins - farm table

The top came out so pretty!!  Its so smooth and perfect and has so much character – i love that tiny little patch of paint on the side!  The clear Varathane brought out at all the character of the wood.

Sweet Pickins - Farm Table

You can see from this pic, that there are some small gaps inbetween the boards – but its not supposed to be perfect :)

Sweet Pickins - farm table

Oh – and one of my most favorite parts!!  How sweet are these little corbels at the end – perfect finishing touch!  I found these at Home Depot.

Sweet Pickins - farm table

I think thats it!  I hope i covered it all.  Overall its a fairly simple build and if you have basic building skills then it should be pretty easy – just adjust the measurements and style to whatever suits you.  The kreg jig is perfect for things like this – so i would definitely recommend that, it makes it so much easier to put it all together.

And if you noticed in my pics, i have also planked that back wall and ripped out a cabinet and put in open shelving – i will be back with those posts!

45 Responses to My new farm style table w/mismatched chairs!

1. Jennifer December 1, 2015 at 8:32 am #

I’ve been wanting some barn wood. Where in earth do you find it? I’m sure people don’t want me busting up their barns on my own. :)

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} December 1, 2015 at 8:37 am #

from our local classifieds

2. Barbie December 1, 2015 at 8:46 am #

I liked how you told about how to get the dark to come through under the white legs and wondered after you sanded them did you seal them?. And you did get lucky for your table top. What character. The corbels on the end are my favorite part. This is a signature piece for you! The fact you share how to do it puts you in a league of your own! Great blog. Thanks for being an inspiration, now I need to come buy some paint:)

3. Brooke Berry Kroeger December 1, 2015 at 12:11 pm #

Sausha! OMG this turned out perfect! I too have a bar height table and am ready for a new one! I love how yours turned out, perfect! I love all the colors you chose for the chairs too. Looks beyond wonderful. Would love it if you would share it at #fleamarketfriday at my site! http://www.creativecountrymom.com

4. Leah December 1, 2015 at 1:15 pm #

You are truly an inspiration! Your daughter will look back on this project someday and appreciate the experience immensely. I recently ordered some of your paints and can’t wait to have my first milk paint experience with some vintage furniture finds. If they turn out even half as nice as your projects, I’ll be thrilled!

5. tammy December 1, 2015 at 2:19 pm #

FABULOUS!!

6. Cindy Banks December 1, 2015 at 2:51 pm #

Sausha that was so helpful- thank you! Do you know how hard it is to purchase a Kreg Jig in Australia!?? Let alone anyone know what it is!! I don’t know what joins our builders are using here but it’s so frustrating!! We have had one recently pop up on a infomercial channel that I’ll hopefully be purchasing soon, but even for the smaller one is quite expensive.. Oh and could you have used your steel wool & vinegar stain on the legs instead ?? Can you still paint over it and get the same effect? X

7. Laura December 1, 2015 at 8:54 pm #

Did you buy the corbels from Osborne Wood, too? If so, which ones? Thank you!

8. Kim December 2, 2015 at 11:29 pm #

Love that your daughter helped you! You are making wonderful memories and passing on your knowledge to her! You table is beautiful and you should be so proud of all your accomplishments. Thank you for your blog and all the videos you post to help others like us!

9. Suzi Baskin December 3, 2015 at 10:15 am #

Yay! I found the post after the link was no good on FB!! I love this table and I am going to build at least one (for me)….maybe more (for a client)! I do have a question for you though. Do you have any thoughts on making the legs fold flat somehow? I have been brain storming as the tables for the client will require folding legs so tables can be stored easily. Thanks in advance for any ideas you may have!!

10. Ronnie Gunn Tucker December 4, 2015 at 8:18 am #

Way more your style. :)
    You’re an inspiration.

11. Darrielle tennenbaum December 22, 2015 at 9:21 am #

LOVE love love your table and all the chairs!

12. April December 29, 2015 at 1:03 pm #

You, sister, are AMAZING! Power tools scare me. :o/ I, too, am looking to get a new table and THIS is perfect. I need to take the leap and try to do *something* The pastel-ish thing on the chairs isn’t my style but I can totally appreciate the cohesiveness of how it ties your space together. It’s really such a lovely redo. Bravo!

13. Patricia Neighbors February 21, 2016 at 9:03 pm #

Love the chairs and color choices for the table.. I purchased a distressed white table and would love to have the same chairs as shown. Do you make these and sell? If so how much? Thanks in advance..

14. Barb March 28, 2016 at 12:21 pm #

Love the table and chairs! Where did you buy the rug? Love how it ties everything together.

15. Natalie philpot April 12, 2016 at 5:53 pm #

Where did you get your rug?

Where did you get your rug?

16. Nancy April 19, 2016 at 8:41 am #

Hi
    may I ask where you found your rug?

17. Randi April 20, 2016 at 11:54 pm #

Absolutely stunning!
    I’m totally jealous of your Kreg Jig. Which model/kit do you use? I looked it up and there ard so many models and add-ons that I didn’t have the first clue about what I was even looking at!

18. Lauren April 28, 2016 at 1:06 pm #

May I ask where you got the sisal rug? ;)

19. Joan Repp April 30, 2016 at 6:31 am #

Can you tell me where you chandeliers are from? Or the names?

20. Denise Ashley May 3, 2016 at 1:03 pm #

It’s perfect! Exactly what I want. Could you tell me what size (diameter) legs you ordered?

21. Lori B. June 1, 2016 at 12:49 pm #

Beautiful table! Super talented mom/daughter team ;)
    Where did you get your small corbels?!? Can’t find ones as cute as yours anywhere!

22. Mel June 10, 2016 at 3:14 pm #

Love your table! Do you remember where you purchased your rug? I’m looking for something very similar. Thanks!

23. Lexie Wilson June 23, 2016 at 10:11 pm #

Awesome ideas! I really like your creativity and beautiful table and chairs.

24. Jasmine July 22, 2016 at 11:09 am #

Hi! Where did you get the rug from?

25. Caroline August 5, 2016 at 1:23 am #

Hello,
    i love the way you transform your home, your inspiration and creativity seem to never end.
    i think you’re ready to teach us !!! but i’m a bit too far ( France, sorry for my english )and discover your blog via Pinterest.
    Encore Bravo

26. Leah August 11, 2016 at 7:24 am #

Love love the table!! Where is your rug from?! Thanks

27. Plazachair August 23, 2016 at 6:53 am #

Like you idea and like your table & all the chairs, well done !!

FABULOUS Work

28. April September 7, 2016 at 9:36 pm #

I just LOVE your home! Your kitchen is beautiful! I just sent the link to my husband to show him what he needs to do to ours. LOL. After that…the chairs and table.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} October 17, 2016 at 2:35 pm #

Thank you!!

29. Andrea October 1, 2016 at 8:37 am #

I have been wanting to do this for my home for a long time. Bookmarking this for next summer’s project!

30. Koa November 1, 2016 at 6:16 am #

Would you mind sharing where you got the corbels? I’m having trouble finding some that look like yours! Thanks so much!!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} November 3, 2016 at 7:40 pm #

I picked these ones up at Home Depot

31. BettyD December 9, 2016 at 10:39 pm #

Where did you get the lamp over the table…. Love the whole room!

32. Shira Zigler December 21, 2016 at 3:04 pm #

What paint colors did you use on the chairs in the photo? Would a sample size cover one chair?

33. Melanie January 13, 2017 at 1:50 pm #

How did you attach the top pieces together and then how did you attach them to the frame of the table? I really love this and have been wanting a farm table.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 8, 2017 at 9:44 pm #

the planks on top arent attached to each other. There is a board running under the table that supports all the planks and they are attached to that. There are also pocket holes all down the sides of the table and the planks are attached to those.

34. Mia Swanegan February 5, 2017 at 2:59 pm #

This was an awesome post and I really like how you went into detail step by step. Breaking it down that way just makes it seem less overwhelming and a little easier. Also the colors chosen and the chairs look so cute and really came together. It seems like a really fun DIY project that I cant wait to tackle with some friends.

Check out my blog!
    mia.swanegan@gmail.com

35. Crystal Dean February 20, 2017 at 9:28 pm #

LOVE!!! Everything is PERFECT!! Could you please tell me the color of your kitchen cabinets, the shiplap and the wall behind the cabinets…..

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 8, 2017 at 9:36 pm #

Cabinets are ben moore mascarpone, walls in this pic are sherwin williams repose gray and shiplap is valspar ultra white

36. Jennifer March 17, 2017 at 2:29 pm #

Can you give measurements of table? I love it!

37. Amanda March 23, 2017 at 5:48 pm #

What color are your chairs? And how do you “wax” them to make
    Them look like that?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. 25 Beautiful DIY Farmhouse Tables - Mom Foodie - October 4, 2016

[…] My New Farm Style Table W/Mismatched Chairs[Sweet Pickins […]

2. 17 Charming Farmhouse Dining Room Design and Decor Ideas - Style Motivation - February 19, 2017

[…] sweetpickinsfurniture.com […]

3. 17 Charming Farmhouse Dining Room Design and Decor Ideas – chuckiesblog - February 19, 2017

[…] sweetpickinsfurniture.com […]