Floral Wood Tutorial – Using Napkins!

Hey – im back with a quick blog post about how im getting all those cute floral prints on my furniture and on wood!  Ive been posting ton of pics on FB lately about these fun florals and lots were asking for a tutorial – so here goes!

I saw and bought a piece of scrapbook paper at Hobby Lobby months ago when i was working on another project and the print was some faded florals on barnwood and i loved it.  Then i bought some photography backdrops a few months back and it was also the same type of image – and i knew i wanted to recreate it.  While looking at something online maybe about a year ago or so, i had come across someone using napkins to cover a shelf or something and that had always been stored in the back of my brain somewhere – so when i put the two together, napkins and barnwood i knew i could make it look awesome!   Obviously there are 1000’s of tutorials online for mod podge projects, but this is how i do mine :)

Since then, i have been using napkins on lots of projects and i love it!  I love the look it gives and i especially love it over the barn wood – my fav.

Sweet Pickins - Napkins on wood

For this piece – i made some crates out of cedar fencing posts and covered them with napkins….

Sweet Pickins - Napkins on wood

Same concept on this one, napkins on fence posts and then i put it on the back of my new (half finished) hutch….one day soon i will have an entire wall done like this (plan for my daughters room, cant wait!!).

Sweet Pickins - Napkins on wood

On this piece, i used the napkins in a classic way – just mod podged them right on the furniture.

……………………………………….

Ok – this is a super simple process but it looks amazing!  Im obsessed with finding fun napkins – the best place i have found them so far is just on Amazon – they have a good selection and shipping is super fast.

These pics are awful – so sorry!!  I was working in the dark garage and didnt want to open up the door for sunlight – to chilly outside!

For the napkins on wood, i just start with some stained fencing slats.  I stained these using my vinegar stain that i talked about here.

Sweet Pickins - Napkin on wood tutorial

To apply the napkins you will need good old Mod Podge and a paint brush.  I happened to be out of mod podge, so i used our SafeCoat thats available in our online shop – it works the same.  I actually liked the SafeCoat better because it didnt dry out so fast.

Sweet Pickins - napkins on wood

And of course you are going to need napkins – i like the larger ones rather than the cocktail ones.  You could also use tissue paper and then you wouldnt have to peel off the plys – i havent been able to find any tissue paper i like though.

Sweet Pickins - napkins on wood

This is the most important step.  Your napkins will be 3 ply – its super important if you want a distressed look that you remove the 2 white sheets behind the printed one.  On most of the napkins, the one sheet will come off really easy, but you  really need to get your fingernails under the 2nd sheet to peel it back.  Throw away the 2 white sheets and your just going to use the printed one.

Sweet Pickins - napkins on wood

After you have peeled your napkin, apply the mod podge to the board.  I tend to apply it a little heavy so the napkin will really get into all the wood groves and so that the napkin is really soaked up and almost looks transparent.  This will make it look more like its printed or painted directly onto the wood rather than just laying on top of it.

Sweet Pickins - napkins on wood

After i brush on the mod podge, just lay the napkin on the wood.  The napkin is thin, but its really not going to tear or break on you and if it does, then dont worry about it because you will be distressing it in the end.  I dont do anything special to apply the napkin – just push down and smooth it out with my hand.  I just make sure to press it into the wood, the napkin will start looking transparent so you will know when its done.  And dont worry if you have wrinkles or creases – they will look fine in the end.  IMPORTANT  – DO NOT mod podge over the top!!  If you do – you will not be able to distress them very easily.  Now – you may not want them distressed for your project and then your fine to go over the top, but in my case, i never mod podge over the top.

Sweet Pickins - napkins on wood

In this pic below, notice all the wood grain showing through?   That gives you an idea of how transparent the napkins become.

Sweet Pickins - napkins on wood

To cut the napkins where they hang over, the easiest way for me is just to use a sanding block.  I just move it up and down real quick over the edge and then just pull off the excess.

Sweet Pickins - napkins on wood

Normally i will end up with a seam somewhere.  If im doing the napkins on wood slats, then im not going to worry about how the seams line up since they are going to be pretty distressed.  But on furniture, i would take my time and line up the seams so the pattern matches up.  Ive also been asked if i use the napkin part that has the little nubbies on it, normally around the edges – and yes i do, they pretty much disappear so i dont worry about cutting those off.

Sweet Pickins - napkins on wood

After the napkins have dried, they look good and could be used like this, but i prefer to distress them, i think that makes all the difference!

Sweet Pickins - napkins on wood

To distress, i use my trusty orbital sander :)  I just make sure its set on low and then use a fine grit paper.  You can also use a sanding block – but this goes so much quicker!  Whatever you use, just sand until you like the look.

Sweet Pickins - napkins on wood

And after its distressed, it looks like this!!!  Isnt it amazing?!  I want to cover the world in napkins!

……………………………………

Again – use it over wood or cover anything your little heart desires!!  If using it on furniture, i do it basically the same way, except that i do apply some type of protective finish after i have distressed it.

Sweet Pickins - napkins on wood

You can also glaze or dark wax over it to tone down the paper a bit – i did that on this EAT sign…

Sweet Pickins - napkins on wood

And i couldnt help putting them over this cute lunch box that i painted!

Sweet Pickins - napkins on wood

Just one more….this one i made for my soon to be collage wall in my entry way – i love this one!  For this one, i painted the wood yellow 1st rather than staining it – i love how the color showed through.

…………………………………………..

And thats it!!  Super simple way to add some amazingness to anything!!

**Edited to add**

A Couple more recent projects done with this technique

Sweet Pickins Milk Paint - Pantry Door Hutch collage

Sweetie Jane memo board

58 Responses to Floral Wood Tutorial – Using Napkins!

1. Elisabeth November 25, 2014 at 10:57 pm #

Thank you so much for providing this tutorial! I really want to do this now! Think this might call for a walk to the garage to see what treasures I have which would lend them to some floral decoration.
    Thanks again Miss Pickins.
    Cheers, Liz in Australia.

2. Liz November 25, 2014 at 11:26 pm #

Came here through a link on a friends FB page, great idea and love the effect, have to bookmark it for later..thanks.

3. Petra November 26, 2014 at 12:50 am #

This is really awesome Sausha :-) love it !! Defenitly give it a try here in my house
    greetings Petra

4. Christy Keyton November 26, 2014 at 6:57 am #

This is absolutely gorgeous. I cannot wait to try it!

5. Mary @ Orphans With Makeup November 26, 2014 at 7:02 am #

Not sure if the problem is from my end, but none of your images are showing up.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} November 26, 2014 at 9:06 am #

not sure why – its working for most and ive checked everything on my end and its ok…

6. Mimi November 26, 2014 at 7:47 am #

I love it! I’m definitely going to try it. Thanks for the tutorial

7. Lynn Boyd November 26, 2014 at 8:14 am #

i love this look! Thanks for sharing, I think I’m gonna have to figure out a project to use this on!

8. darrielle tennenbaum November 26, 2014 at 8:59 am #

So LOVE this idea-going to steal it and use it! thanks for sharing it!

9. Julie @ follow your heart woodworking November 26, 2014 at 10:33 am #

Those napkin designs on wood look beautiful… thanks so much for sharing what you do!

10. Colleen November 26, 2014 at 10:20 pm #

I love the look. Definitely going to give it a try.

You might want to try this tip for removing the layers of ply :

Roll 2 small pieces of *”Prestik” and sandwich the napkins between the two, then gently pull them apart.
    The top and bottom layers will stick to the respectve lumps of prestik.

* This product may be called something different in your country, but if you google Prestik you would know what it is. In South Africa it is sold in the Stationery dept.

Hope this works for you

11. Rose November 27, 2014 at 12:47 pm #

Love this project. Had seen something similar in a magazine and now I am reminded of how much I like this. Just a question for you. The boards that you distressed in the pictures seem to be on white painted and distressed boards. Or was it just a white background on the napkins that made it look that way?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} December 3, 2014 at 9:04 am #

its just the napkins – all these boards were stained 1st

12. Khristine November 30, 2014 at 7:56 pm #

What a neat idea!! Makes me wish I had a girl… I don’t know that my boys would really appreciate how pretty this is :)

13. mari April 25, 2015 at 5:18 pm #

Hi! Love this! Where did you get all those gorgeous napkins?

Tried this on panels on a cabinet tonight, I’ll send you a picture of how it turns out.

14. myra October 13, 2015 at 6:36 pm #

Hi, I just love this but can’t find any napkins I like but did find some scrapbook paper I like, it’s not super thick, would that work as well?

15. Debbie October 20, 2015 at 2:15 pm #

Tuesday Morning has tons of paper napkins..

16. Michele October 26, 2015 at 1:48 pm #

Absolutely gorgeous. What is your recommendation for the top sealer over the napkins once you are done with sanding??
    Thank you very much. So glad I came across this website. .

• Clara August 7, 2016 at 1:34 am #

Hi Michele, did you get a reply to this question?

17. Stacy Rivera November 20, 2015 at 7:24 am #

You do amazing work! Could you tell me, how are the wood pieces held together in the picture frames?

Thanks for sharing!

18. Dani November 20, 2015 at 9:00 pm #

Thank you so much.
    Really interesting and easy to understand.

Dani
    Sydney Australia.

19. Molly Contos December 9, 2015 at 8:24 am #

It is clear! I need to quit my job and work on all the projects you have shown. Love them all! You girls,are so clever!!!

20. Marcia MacMurray January 6, 2016 at 9:27 pm #

I love this idea! I started collecting napkins in different floral designs quite a few years ago..best places to get them were gift shops. Now I know what to do with them!
    Thank you for your beautiful idea!

21. wendy christie January 12, 2016 at 11:39 am #

Oh my goodness! Absolutely beautiful! Love it, gonna do it on EVERYTHING ! My poor husband is going to be living in a girlie house soon! Thanks soo much for posting, I am sooooo excited ! Second hand shops……here we come!

22. Shirley Schulting January 14, 2016 at 11:50 am #

What a great idea! I have lots of old wood. So my project list gets longer!! Thanks for sharing. Shirley

23. susano January 21, 2016 at 3:40 am #

Sausha, I’ve been following your blog for a while. I was Googling images of napkins used in decoupage and this post popped up. You have finally solved a problem for me. I have this bench in my mudroom:

It’s just like that; unfinished. I could never decide what to do with it it. Stain it, paint it, what color, etc. I hate that bench. Then I saw your decoupaged boards and that’s it! I’m gonna do it and it will be awesome, I’m sure. Thank you sooo much for the inspiration and rescuing my ugly bench. I’m thinking stain it, first, so when distressed a darker wood shows through. The Mod Podge won’t make the stain bleed through? When I do it, I’ll send you before and after pics.

You are so talented and such a great blogger with all of your detailed instructions. I LOVE your site and you, too :)

• Amanda C. May 5, 2016 at 5:09 am #

All I have to say is, “Wow!” This is so cool! Can’t wait to try it! I think I’m going to cover a wooden block with a napkin for a cute background for a picture! LOVE this❤ Thank you and God bless!!

24. karen April 9, 2016 at 10:54 am #

Wow! Thanks, this will look so lovely on a sun porch floor. I’ve done a little decoupage but not with napkins. I’m going to start looking or napkins.

25. Brenda May 9, 2016 at 5:13 pm #

So I tried this and completely failed. I am not sure what I did wrong. To much Modge podge? My sander completely destroyed it. Tip

26. Lili May 15, 2016 at 1:29 pm #

What kind of protective finish you use for furniture? I want to do my dinning room table… Thank you so much for your time

27. Lynne May 22, 2016 at 4:38 am #

I wonder where you get your napkins? They are beautiful. i just love your website. Thanks for sharing.

28. Pam June 13, 2016 at 1:35 pm #

Is is ok to use 2ply instead of the 3 ply napkins?

29. Isabel June 14, 2016 at 9:30 pm #

Sausha, Thanks so much for sharing your expertise. We found your blog with specifics on decoupage using 3 ply napkins on wood about a year ago, used your techniques again and again, and loved the results every time. I reviewed them again tonight before tackling the drawers on a Jacobean sideboard and they really helped streamline the project – four drawers done in less than 2 hours, perfect!!! Truly appreciate your generosity and ingenuity – Bravo!!!

30. Eileen July 1, 2016 at 6:56 am #

I found this – and your gorgeous blog – through Pinterest. Of course, I repinned it. Some great decoupage tips here. The look is just lovely! Thank you for sharing.

31. Sarah July 7, 2016 at 3:32 pm #

Hi!
    Just wanted to say I love this! Had a quick question though, I modge podged mine let it dry and then sanded it but mine doesn’t look like yours does. Yours look almost like it melted into the wood which is beautiful, I just wondered if I was missing a step?
    Thanks!

32. Michelle July 13, 2016 at 4:53 am #

Love this! I am doing a dresser and am going to use wax as a last step. Do I need to put something else on top of the wax to seal it as well?

33. Bmonk August 8, 2016 at 10:23 am #

Hi love this I just curious why an orbital sander is best not a sheet sander

34. Shawn September 5, 2016 at 5:29 pm #

I print my own tissue paper there a literally thousands of pictures you can print to use.

35. Kathy T October 7, 2016 at 7:27 am #

It looks great. I love to decoupage. Another great source for Napkins is on Etsy. I also like to use Rice Paper. Comes in many patterns, it is thin so it settles into cracks but it more durable than the napkins. You might to a napkin with on a old fashioned vintage pattern. Those are some of my favorite

36. Molly October 15, 2016 at 7:20 pm #

Hello, I love this! After you distress the board can you dab stain to darken it instead of wax?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} October 17, 2016 at 2:32 pm #

for sure!! I would just either lighten up the stain with mineral spirits 1st to thin it out or test in a small area to see if its going to be dark before applying to the whole thing

37. Cora Lee November 2, 2016 at 5:31 pm #

Where do buy your napkins for beautiful job you did..

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} November 3, 2016 at 7:39 pm #

I get most of mine from Amazon!

38. Paige January 2, 2017 at 6:34 pm #

Do you mind answering a question? I’ve googled until my head is swimming! I decoupaged a wooden pallet today with scrapbook paper (a first for me). After it dried, I attempted to distress it lightly. All I managed to accomplish was removing the top of the paper apparently. The paper part is still there but the colorful part is now gone. I’m assuming that you do not distress after using scrapbook paper??? Do you have any tips for distressing after paper (NOT NAPKINS) decoupage? Thank you very very much!

Your work is so beautiful.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 8, 2017 at 9:46 pm #

i dont really use paper so i have no idea – sorry!

39. Phyllis Slaper January 7, 2017 at 5:40 pm #

Love this idea I wonder if craft stores have the napkins also could you use cards?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 8, 2017 at 9:45 pm #

yes, but it will just be a different look

40. Erin January 11, 2017 at 1:12 pm #

Beautiful!! Thanks so much for the tutorial. Here’s what I did after reading this: https://www.instagram.com/p/BPGFzD0Dbmz/. I’ll put the boards together for a little feature wall. Also, I found all the napkins at Tuesday Morning (so many that I could barely decide on my favorites!) and & Dollar Tree (small selection, but they had a couple nice ones, and cheap!)

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 8, 2017 at 9:45 pm #

that looks amazing!!

41. Stephanie January 14, 2017 at 11:14 am #

Can you use paper instead of napkins?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 8, 2017 at 9:43 pm #

yes but it will just be a different look

42. jan landis January 18, 2017 at 12:55 pm #

Love, love this idea but I have a big project…would love to do a runner in my antique shop on the very old and rustic floor…could this work with tissue paper? It would be probably 30′ long by at least 27″ wide and I don’t know whether I can line up that many napkins before I plan to close to do some renovations next month.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 8, 2017 at 9:43 pm #

yes i have used tissue paper too!

43. Lindsay January 26, 2017 at 11:34 am #

Hi! I love this and finally tried and when I went to sand, the paper came right off! Not enough Mod Podge, you think?!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 8, 2017 at 9:42 pm #

maybe not enough mod podge or you didnt have all the layers of the napkin peeled off before applying it?

44. Amanda January 26, 2017 at 11:06 pm #

Does wrapping paper or scrap booking paper work pretty well? I am sure they work but do you have to apply extra modge podge or do anything like that? Thank you!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 8, 2017 at 9:42 pm #

you can definitely use those, but they just wont give you the same look

45. Bonnie Brumfield January 27, 2017 at 6:18 pm #

Love this idea for my antique drawer pulls on the board
    To hang necklaces or scarves or hats! Beautiful!