{Antique Washstand} – Before & After

Hey!!  My online shop is now up and going!  I still have a few tweaks to make and i need to go in and edit some descriptions to make things more clear – but you can now order from there.  I would love feedback – so please give!!

………………………………………..

So – i picked up this cute little washstand a few weeks ago and couldn’t wait to paint it.  When i posted on Facebook that i was going to paint this piece i got quite the reaction about painting over “good wood”!!  Its so funny the comments i am seeing everywhere these days about that subject – but that’s another post for another day :)

This is one of those pieces that is perfect for Sweet Pickins Milk Paint!  I loved the carved detailing of the flowers and the piece was in great shape so it didn’t require any prep work.  I love when i don’t have to repair and i can just get to painting!  And that’s another awesome thing about the Milk Paint – no prep, no sanding – half the time i don’t even clean the piece 1st!

Sweet Pickins Milk Paint - Marigold and Light Cream

I mixed up some Sweet Pickins Milk Paint in Marigold for the base and Light Cream for the accent.  I wanted to tone down the Marigold just a bit, so i added a little of the light cream to it – probably about a 3:1 ratio (3 parts Marigold to 1 part Light Cream).

Sweet Pickins Milk Paint

Like i said, i didn’t do any prep work to get the dresser ready for paint.  I was thinking because of the shiny surface that the paint would be really chippy so i didn’t add the Extra Bond for adhesion.  Surprisingly, the paint hardly chipped at all and stuck really well to the dresser.

I loved the carved detailing in the piece and they were deep enough carvings that when i brushed my paint over them, the paint didn’t go in them.  I love how it made them stand out even more.   (i didn’t paint the dresser with the drawers in it, i just stuck them back in when i took this pic, just so ya know)

yellow milk paint dresser during

After painting a couple coats of the white and yellow, i let it dry for a few hours and took my orbital sander to it to smooth out the milk paint and distress the piece.  In this case because the milk paint bonded so well, the orbital sander was easier than doing it with a sanding block.

After sanding the entire dresser down, i gave it a coat of clear wax and it was done!  The pics and the lighting make this yellow look a little brighter than it actually is.  In person it was a very muted, perfect yellow.

Sweet Pickins Milk Paint - Marigold and Light Cream 1

Sweet Pickins Milk Paint - Marigold and Light Cream 2

Sweet Pickins Milk Paint - Marigold and Light Cream 6

Sweet Pickins Milk Paint - Marigold and Light Cream 5

(i think this pic below shows the best representation of the actual color)

Sweet Pickins Milk Paint - Marigold and Light Cream 4

Sweet Pickins Milk Paint - Marigold and Light Cream 3

I really loved how this dresser turned out and think its one of the happiest pieces i have done!  The colors are really fun but muted enough that they could work in so many spaces.  (this piece has sold, my mom actually bought it so i can visit it whenever i like!)

………………………………..

AND, if i had never painted it like the naysayers on FB told me, it wouldn’t be getting a little featured spot on an ad for the Old Fashioned Milk Paint Co. in an upcoming magazine – so very cool!!  Yeah for paint!!!  :)

20 Responses to {Antique Washstand} – Before & After

1. Paula September 20, 2013 at 1:41 pm #

My favorite…..so far. It is so sweet!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} September 20, 2013 at 1:44 pm #

Its one of mine too – thank you!!!

2. Teresa Gunn September 20, 2013 at 1:53 pm #

You go Sausha!!!!!! Do your thing. It is beautiful.

Teresa

3. trish September 20, 2013 at 1:55 pm #

Love it!! Gorgeous…

4. Mandy With On The Avenue September 20, 2013 at 2:20 pm #

So cute!! You are very talented and I absolutely love everything you post! Great Job!!

5. Denise September 20, 2013 at 3:07 pm #

Congratulations on your magazine feature! Well deserved. This piece looks waaaay better painted than au natural!

6. Sondra September 20, 2013 at 3:25 pm #

Love, love , love it! There will always be naysayers…do your magic of bringing pieces back to life for those of us who appreciate it!

7. DOrrie September 20, 2013 at 3:25 pm #

That so rocks!@ FWIW, I totally woulda painted it too!

8. Amanda McCellon September 20, 2013 at 3:47 pm #

Love the two different colors. This turned out great. I checked out your new website the other night and it looks great. I’m enjoying reading about the milk paint. We retail a line of ‘plaster paint’ (similar to chalk paint) so I’ve never used the milk paint. All your pieces are just gorgeous!

9. Shanna Gilbert September 20, 2013 at 4:28 pm #

I think it is beautiful! There have been people that have criticized me for painting a few pieces I did even though they were in terrible shape and I said that in the post. There will always be people that don’t agree. They don’t have to be nasty about it though. The whole, “If you don’t have anything nice to say”

10. Brandee Griffin September 20, 2013 at 4:59 pm #

Woot woot!!! Way to go girl:) I think this piece is gorgeous!!!

11. Holly September 20, 2013 at 5:16 pm #

There are still some wood “purists” out there. Some woods just look better painted – to me, anyway….and obviously to you, too!

12. Olivia September 21, 2013 at 9:08 am #

I really like how the piece turned out. Looks much better painted. I don’t understand
    the people who say don’t paint wood. Who are they saving these pieces for? I would
    rather be given a piece painted by someone and it would have so much more meaning
    to me than a ordinary wood piece of furniture.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} September 22, 2013 at 10:29 am #

exactly!!!!

13. Mindi September 23, 2013 at 2:23 pm #

I.LOVE.It! My favorite is how the details didn’t take the paint, so sweet! Congrats on the feature too! That is awesome! I hope to try your milk paint someday, and how awesome your mom bought it! It wouldn’t be such a great piece if it wasn’t painted!

14. Christine September 28, 2013 at 7:44 pm #

I have been wanting to do something with a dijon-ish mustard color. I’m just loving this! You did a beautiful job, as usual.

Tell me. Why would someone come to any of the sites that specialize in painting furniture and be upset? If you don’t like it, change the channel. Don’t move in next to the airport and expect them to change flight paths because YOu now live there. [Stop me].

Keep up the beautiful work.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} October 1, 2013 at 8:14 am #

thank you and i 100% agree – i just dont get it either!!

15. Quality Furniture Online October 2, 2013 at 7:20 am #

What a transformation! You’ve done a great job, I love this piece. Thanks for posting these photos.

Best wishes, Alex

16. Kim October 7, 2013 at 8:23 am #

Love it, love it, love it!

17. Tammie October 11, 2013 at 6:09 pm #

I love it too. Did you add any white to the marigold or use it full strength?