{Vintage Shutter Cabinet} – Before & After

I picked up this cute little vintage shutter cabinet a few weeks ago and knew as soon as i saw it just how it should look when finished.  When i see old shutters, i always think chippy vintage green – one of my favorite colors and looks :)

Sweet Pickins Furniture - Milk Paint Cabinet

To get the chippy, weathered finish that i wanted for this piece – i knew right away that i would use milk paint.  As much as i love my paint sprayer, its nice to paint with a brush now and then and i love the look that milk paint gives.  Its very unpredictable though – on this piece i had crackling, flaking off and some spots where it adhered really well, you just never know!

The beauty of milk paint is that there is no prep work at all.  You dont need to pre sand because you will be doing all the sanding after the paint is applied.  So you can just dive right in with your project – thats awesome because sometimes by the time im done prepping i have lost all my motivation!

To get the color for this cabinet, i mixed 1 part snow white to 1 part tavern green – both are Old Fashioned Milk Paint colors.

After applying one coat of paint and letting it dry, i took a sanding block as well as an orbital sander and distressed it until i liked it.  I followed that up with Howards Feed n Wax.  Super easy and quick project!

Sweet Pickins Furniture - Milk Paint Cabinet

Sweet Pickins - Milk Paint Cabinet

Sweet Pickins - Milk Paint Cabinet

Sweet Pickins - Milk Paint Cabinet

Sweet Pickins - Milk Paint Cabinet

I loved working on this cabinet and it turned out exactly as i had envisioned it – gotta love when that happens!!

And how cute is my little vintage wheel?!  My dad found that for me a few weeks ago and i love it!!  You can still see the spider webs and dead grasshoppers on it – gross!!

8 Responses to {Vintage Shutter Cabinet} – Before & After

1. Bloomin' Crazy- Joni Holland May 29, 2013 at 7:42 am #

LOVE it!!! Is it for sale? Do you ship to California?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} May 29, 2013 at 8:12 am #

but i do ship! so anytime you need a quote just let me know!

2. Bloomin' Crazy- Joni Holland May 29, 2013 at 7:43 am #

I Love this and assume it’s for sale. Could you please email me the $? Do you ship to California?- joni

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} May 29, 2013 at 8:11 am #

It was for sale, but it sold a couple days ago :)

3. Jenny Lynn May 29, 2013 at 9:00 am #

It looks great! I like the way milk paint looks vs chalk on certain pieces.

4. Kim July 1, 2013 at 8:59 pm #

When you use the orbital sander, what # sander paper do you use? What about when hand sanding. I’m going to start my first milk paint project… Thanks

5. Bethany August 25, 2013 at 12:36 pm #

Okay, I am a restoration neophyte and am currently stuck on a project, hoping to seek your wisdom and advice! I became very inspired after looking at all these blog sites on furniture restoration so I figured I could tackle our dining room set. I sanded the chairs, painted with flat Behr Willow Herb paint and primer, then flat Behr Bison Brown. I sanded it down to ensure that antique look as the willow herb color pulled through the sanded brown paint. Looks Amazing!!! Now, I figured i’d have to put a layer of clear coat over it to protect the paint job (and make sure none of it rubs off on our dinner guests..lol). We tried a polyurethane clear coat but found that it TOTALLY changed to look of my previously awesome matte antique chairs. It changed the color of the paint to look darker and also made it look shiny. I did a ton of research on the topic and it seems that it’s very difficult to keep that matte antique look with a water or oil based clear coat. Sherwin Williams said that there is no such product out there that will protect the chairs but also keep that matte finish look. Any advice???? please help.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} September 22, 2013 at 10:43 am #

You can get a poly in a satin finish and then when its dry take 0000 steel wool to them to knock down the shine. I will be listing a product next week that you brush on that has a matte finish :)