{Milk Paint Dresser} – Before & After

I just got this cute little vintage dresser a few days ago that my dad found.  Its rare that i get a piece that doesnt need a lot of work and i can just get to painting it.  But this was one of the rarities and i got right on it :)

Sweet Pickins Furniture - Milk Paint Dresser

The only change i made, was to the hardware.  I just swapped it out with something that still matched the age of the dresser, but with some that i liked better.  I used bondo to fill the old holes.

After sanding down the bondo, i gave the dresser a coat of primer.  Normally when using milk paint, you dont have to prime 1st, but i wanted to do a little test and see how it went.  I also needed to cover up all the bondo’d hardware holes – i didnt want those to show up after painting with milk paint since you never know what its going to do.

I decided on a custom color for this one and mixed up some milk paint in Sea Green and Slate – 50/50 ratio – both colors are from Old Fashioned Milk Paint.

After painting 2 coats i distressed it with a sanding block.  When you go over it with the sanding block, it makes it super smooth and almost burnishes it giving it a slightly shiny smooth as butter finish.  This helps when glazing over milk paint otherwise it would be to flat and porous and make the glaze really splotchy.

I glazed using a new technique that i will show you all tomorrow :)

And the after…this piece is so much prettier in person!  Im really happy with how it turned out.

Sweet Pickins Furniture - Milk Paint Dresser

I love the color with the antique brass hardware – it works perfectly.

Sweet Pickins Furniture - Milk Paint Dresser

This time, the milk paint didnt chip or flake off at all.  I assume because i primed 1st.  But you can see in the pic below that i did get some crackling in some areas – i love when that happens!

Sweet Pickins Furniture - Milk Paint Dresser

Sweet Pickins Furniture - Milk Paint Dresser

Sweet Pickins Furniture - Milk Paint Dresser

The 411

Color = old fashioned milk paint in Sea Green and Slate, mixed 50/50

Wax/Glaze finish = check tomorrows post for how to!!

……………………………..

This piece is available for purchase in the Sweet Pickins Shop!!

12 Responses to {Milk Paint Dresser} – Before & After

1. WEST FURNITURE REVIVAL May 29, 2013 at 9:32 pm #

beautiful! I love the colors together and i love the pulls you used too!

2. kim N May 30, 2013 at 5:09 am #

Not only is the dresser gorgeous but the display on top is just perfect!

3. Naomi May 30, 2013 at 7:43 am #

This turned out beautiful! Love the color. I have painted a few pieces for myself and used white primer then sanded and I can see the white primer underneath. Did you use a colored primer? Just wondering if I could have done it a different way so the primer wouldn’t peek out.
    Thanks!

4. Keni Farnwalt May 30, 2013 at 8:47 am #

Reading through your blogs last night & was interested in the finish on the shuttered cabinet. I didn’t think of using the Feed & Wax as a final coat. Is that because it was going over milk paint? I went out and bought the milk paint today to try. I tried the chalk paint a few times mostly because you don’t have to prime but I really don’t like the look of it. I especially don’t like the wax. What other waxes do you use & do you use them with latex paints? Thanks

• Debbie May 30, 2013 at 9:37 am #

What do you as a primer? I always have the problem of the primer showing through when I distress. I would like the primer to be the same color as the paint. Mostly I use chalk paint so I can skip priming but that not always an option.
      Your stuff is always amazing I love following your page!!

5. Denise May 30, 2013 at 8:52 am #

Absolutely beautiful…I’m dying to give milk paint a try!!

6. Anneke at This, That and Life May 30, 2013 at 4:52 pm #

Wow! This turned out SO pretty! I love the gold and custom color!

7. Jesse @ Scout & Nimble May 30, 2013 at 9:38 pm #

Absolutely love this. So funny because when I saw the before piece, I was like “oh that honey stain” and then I saw the after and my jaw dropped! It is so pretty with the blue/green color! Definitely brought out the beauty!!! Gorgeous! Jesse @ Scout & Nimble

8. FlynnPaul June 6, 2013 at 1:28 am #

Hi,

It’s really awesome. Milk paint looks amazing. Please give more information about price and colors etc.

Thanks.

9. Regenerations July 6, 2013 at 2:15 pm #

I was wondering about the Glaze technique you used on this piece. I have this exact dresser and it definitely needs updating. Can you tell me what product and technique you used for the Glaze on this dresser please?

10. Dawn September 12, 2013 at 11:40 am #

what are your instructions for glazing over milk paint? And I can’t wait to read your tutorial on distressing and finishing over milk paint…please oh please!?!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} September 22, 2013 at 10:31 am #

I know!! I am so behind on blogging!! Basically to glaze over milk paint is the same as over latex – the biggest thing is to make sure that you have completely sanded and smoothed out the milk paint after its dry before applying the glaze