{Before & After} – Milk Paint Roll Top

Sweet Pickins Furniture - Sea Green Milk Paint

A few weeks ago, i scheduled a much needed week of no custom orders.  In some ways i love customs, but it does limit me as far as trying out new paints, techniques, products, etc.  Sometimes i just have to be free of deadlines and trying to give people exactly what they envision so i can do my own thing and play around a little :)

Ive used milk paint in the past and really like it (i posted a cute sofa table here, its actually the same color that i used on this desk).  Im not a fan of chalk paint, but i love milk paint.  Its very unpredictable and hopefully it gives me the chippy look that i love so much.  I will do a post another day about my thoughts about milk paint vs chalk paint.

Anyways – i got this solid wood heavy duty roll top about a month ago.  I really like roll tops, and this one is in great shape.  And the little drawers and cubbies inside are so cute!

This is the best before pic that i had…

Sweet Pickins Furniture - Sea Green Milk Paint

The best thing about milk paint, is that there is no prep work, i did not sand before painting.   In this case the desk had a clear coat on it, but it wasnt super shiny and i knew that the paint would stick to the wood.  If you are working with a super smooth, shiny piece of furniture you can add ultra bond to your paint and that will help with adhesion (you can find info about that here on the Old Fashioned Milk Paints website).

I just mixed up some milk paint in a plastic cup – the paint comes in a powder form and you have to mix it.  I find it best to mix it with hot water, it seems to be the best to keep the lumps out.  And you will have to stir it while using, sometimes the paint  can start to thicken and settle at the bottom.

For this desk, i just did one coat of paint – and its brushed on (my sprayer doesnt spray it well).  After letting it dry, i just took a sanding block and went over the entire desk.  Some parts had already began chipping – thats my favorite part.  You never know what its going to do, some parts stuck really well, some you cant even scrape off.

After sanding the desk, i lightly glazed it.  I mixed up some SW glaze in van dyke brown (talked about here) with mineral spirits and went over the whole thing.  With milk paint, you have to make sure and sand 1st before putting on the glaze – its so porous and flat and if you dont, the glaze will just be sucked up by the paint and will be splotchy.

The last step after sanding down and staining the top was to seal with a water based poly to protect the finish.  Milk paint is super durable and doesnt need to be sealed, but i find that it just gives it a little more depth and i like the little but of shine over distressed pieces.

And the after…

Sweet Pickins Furniture - Sea Green Milk Paint

Sweet Pickins Furniture - Sea Green Milk Paint

Sweet Pickins Furniture - Sea Green Milk Paint

Sweet Pickins Furniture - Sea Green Milk Paint

Sweet Pickins Furniture - Sea Green Milk Paint

Sweet Pickins Furniture - Sea Green Milk Paint

The 411

Paint – Sea Green Old Fashioned Milk Paint

Glaze – SW Van Dyke Brown

Stain Color for top of desk – Diluted Kona by Rustoleum

Clear Coat – SW Woodclassics in a gloss

15 Responses to {Before & After} – Milk Paint Roll Top

1. Tammy Salvatici May 9, 2013 at 11:36 am #

The desk looks so amazing! You never seize to amaze me. I here you on being free too :), enjoy!!

2. Marty@A Stroll Thru Life May 9, 2013 at 12:04 pm #

Oh what a fabulous refinishing job. I love the color and just the right amount of distressing. Looks amazing. Hugs, Marty

3. Denise May 9, 2013 at 2:14 pm #

omg…this looks SOOO good. I’m dying to give milk paint a try. Do you have to sand/prep the furniture before applying?

4. Tanya May 9, 2013 at 2:23 pm #

Gorgeous Sausha!! That picture looks like my garage, but yours is much more neat and tidy :)

xo, Tanya

5. Laurie @ House of 34 May 9, 2013 at 2:41 pm #

So beautiful! You are one talented girl! I love seeing your “afters”. Always amazing.

6. Sheila May 9, 2013 at 7:57 pm #

I do like how milk paint just starts flaking and coming off in random spots. This piece turned out really cute. Great job.

7. Mindi May 10, 2013 at 7:14 am #

Beautiful!! I love how chippy it is, thanks for all the tips, I haven’t tried Milk paint, but I would like to someday…. Have a happy Mother’s Day!

8. Elisha @ Pneumatic Addict May 10, 2013 at 9:07 am #

You’re garage looks like mine (full of furniture)! I have a messy husband that welds and works on a Jeep on the other side though, so my floors aren’t as pretty. I love the desk too! I’m in the process of a roll top makeover as well. I pulled the roll top off of mine though. You always do great work!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} May 20, 2013 at 12:39 pm #

oh ya…as much as i try, the garage is never clean :)

9. Sarah May 10, 2013 at 11:02 am #

I’m a long time follower of your blog-way before it was Sweet Pickins! Just wanted to tell you how much I love seeing your furniture re-dos!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} May 20, 2013 at 12:38 pm #

thank you so much!!

10. Heidi May 28, 2013 at 8:27 pm #

Love the desk! Came across your site & am on the way home with a used rolltop desk. Looks like the one in the picture. Im excited to try milk paint also. Thanks for your info about how to do it.

11. Amy July 3, 2013 at 3:35 am #

Is there something I can buy at a paint/hardware store that can be used for a bonding agent instead of Ultra Bond Adhesion Promoter? I need something now and can’t wait a week to get it shipped.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} July 3, 2013 at 8:24 am #

I dont know about this question – i would go on to the old fashioned milk paint co facebook question and post the question there, they are always really quick to answer

Trackbacks/Pingbacks