Embroidery Hoop Wall

Ever since i saw a pic of something similar about 2 years ago, i have wanted to make an embroidery hoop wall somewhere in my house.  It was one of those pics that i gasped when i saw it – i loved the idea that much!

If you follow me on Facebook, you will know that last week i finally started my little project :)

Sweet Pickins Embroidery Hoop Art

(check out my growing collection of old watering cans, cant get enough of those!)

I love the mismatched fabrics and the fun colors – plus its unique and you can bring in colors and fabrics that will match your home.  And the fabrics can easily be changed out.  You could even add in fabrics for different holidays/seasons.

I waited for a while before finally doing my wall because i really wanted to hang curtain panels on all the windows on my back wall to soften up the lines.  But, with the bay window it was tricky, and it blocked a lot of light that comes through.  Plus, i wanted to put the yellow dresser back where it was, and the dresser would be in front of the curtain which i dont know if i would of liked.

So – last week i finally decided i was over the curtain idea and decided just to get the hoops done :)

I used my small collection of vintage hoops, as well as some i found @ goodwill (those in the pic, its so funny how decorating changes over the years, im sure 10-15 years ago these were pretty cool!) and then the majority of the hoops came from hobby lobby and joanns.  The larger hoops new were about $2 and the smaller ones $1.

Sweet Pickins Embroidery Hoop Art

Then i gathered up lots of fabric, some i already had, a couple vintage and then the rest new.  I found the fabric @ Joanns and Hobby Lobby (Joanns had a way better selection just so you know).

I laid out the hoops and fabric…

(after i took this pic, i knew that i needed more so i added about 10 more hoops)

Sweet Pickins Embroidery Hoop Art

Then i just put the fabric in the hoop, tightened it (almost all my hoops had the metal tightner screws) and then cut away all the fabric in the back.  I didnt take a pic after i cut it, but i cut the fabric all the way down to the hoop.

Sweet Pickins Embroidery Hoop Art

After i got all the hoops filled, i laid out the hoops on the floor.  I measured my space on the wall that i had to fill and then just used those measurements when laying out the hoops.

Sweet Pickins Embroidery Hoop Art

Lastly i just started from the bottom and worked my way to the top – for the most part i kept the same layout as was on the floor, but when i got to the top i added in a few more hoops to slightly go over each side.

To hang the hoops, i just used a small nail for each one.

And the after…can you spot the little girl?  I told Zailee to get out of the way for pics, and thats where she went :)

Sweet Pickins Embroidery Hoop Art

Sweet Pickins Embroidery Hoop Art

Sweet Pickins Embroidery Hoop Art

Sweet Pickins Embroidery Art

411

Hoops – Joanns, Hobby Lobby, Goodwill and some vintage ones i already had.  I think i used 32 hoops total

Fabric – Joanns, Hobby Lobby and some i already had

Total cost – about $65.  Of course i got lots more fabric than what i needed for this project, so i am planning one day to make a quilt with all my fabric scraps :)

I only repeated one fabric twice

Tip – i would recommend buying extra of the small hoops, i used about 5 of those that i wasnt planning to fill in holes here and there

36 Responses to Embroidery Hoop Wall

1. k March 27, 2013 at 7:37 pm #

Very Cute !!!!

• Stephanie August 13, 2013 at 5:48 am #

You could still use valances to soften the windows and keep the light.

2. Shannon @Fox Hollow Cottage March 27, 2013 at 10:12 pm #

This is truly darling! So pretty and colorful. It’s just… HAPPY! :)

Pinning.

3. Audrey March 27, 2013 at 10:37 pm #

I see that you have moved the furniture back after the great clean out :). I LOVE the hoops,super fun to add color and it looks so great on that wall!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 28, 2013 at 5:41 pm #

yup, almost all of it :)

4. Robin March 28, 2013 at 12:34 am #

What a fun way to fill up a bare wall. I love all the cheerful fabric you picked. It looks amamzing!

5. Sandy March 28, 2013 at 12:39 am #

I really like the yellow dresser, its mirror, and the display of hoops in your room. It’s such a novel idea and looks remarkable in your room as it softens all the windows. I think Zailee was watching one of her favorite TV shows when mom decided to take pictures. I enjoy reading your blog.

6. denise sabia March 28, 2013 at 4:47 am #

I. am. in. LOVE. You are constantly amazing me with your projects. I think you need your own show. I’ve featured your hoops on my fb page today. Love the hoops.
    Denise

7. Patty Sumner March 28, 2013 at 5:57 am #

I love it! The colors are just great. Your living area looks so Springy and fresh and inviting. This is one I am going to try one of these days…Thanks for the idea. Blessings!

8. karen March 28, 2013 at 7:43 am #

I love the placement, great colors, looks wonderful in the room. These were all the rage in the 70’s and 80’s but this newer version is so much prettier. What will they think in another 20 years…heehee, time will tell but I definitely love the simple look…none of that lace stuff for me…although I made them that way back then.

9. Janet Lawson March 28, 2013 at 7:47 am #

It’s beautiful and the first thing I saw when I looked at the room..
    Great project..
    I love watering cans too..

10. Kim March 28, 2013 at 8:20 am #

I am smitten with this room!!! When can I move in?
    xoxo,
    Kim

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 28, 2013 at 5:40 pm #

ha – anytime!!

11. Deb Owen March 28, 2013 at 8:21 am #

I love the way it looks climbing up and over the tops of the window! What a fun and inexpensive way to put a pop of fun and color in a room. You have me looking for a spot to try it in!

12. Brittany March 28, 2013 at 8:32 am #

WOW! Super cool.

13. northern cottage March 28, 2013 at 10:26 am #

i’m in luuuurvvvve!! I have QUITE a collection of hoops and currently have some filled with a variety of doilies but I may be switching out to beautiful fabric like you’ve got going here! gorgeous!

14. Marica March 28, 2013 at 11:29 am #

I am so in love with this! You are a badass!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 28, 2013 at 5:36 pm #

ahhh thanks! best compliment ever :)

15. Kasia Jackson March 28, 2013 at 12:35 pm #

Sausha I LOVE this so much! I would love to do this in my stamping room!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 28, 2013 at 5:35 pm #

you should! It would be really fun for a craftroom!

16. Michaela March 28, 2013 at 1:23 pm #

I adore the bright, fresh, colors you have added to your home! I am sooooo over whitewashed, faded everything!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 28, 2013 at 5:35 pm #

i still love that all white look – but it just doesnt work in my house – i LOVE patchwork, mismatched, colors everything!

17. Jesse @ Scout & Nimble March 28, 2013 at 4:11 pm #

This is gorgeous. I love the soft pop of color it adds to the space, too. I totally remember my mom having some of those hoops with the lace collars up around our house. That is too funny…and you know I’m loooooving the floral fabric…;) Jesse @ Scout & Nimble

18. Tanya March 28, 2013 at 4:53 pm #

Pleeeeeease tell me the name of your yellow paint. That is the yellow I have been craving!!! thanks

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 28, 2013 at 5:34 pm #

i dont know on that yellow dresser, its 100+ years old and thats the original paint! But, it is very close to Sherwin Williams White Raisin

19. Tanya March 28, 2013 at 9:53 pm #

If I didn’t love your space before (which I did!) I do now, these are so pretty and Spring-ey (that’s a word, I am sure of it:)

xo, Tanya
    twelveOeight

20. Erica @ Craftivity Designs March 29, 2013 at 7:41 am #

This is beautiful! I love all the fabrics! I featured you today on my Kick-Off Friday post! http://craftivitydesigns.blogspot.com/2013/03/kick-off-friday_29.html

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} April 17, 2013 at 7:51 am #

thanks so much!!

21. Jill @ Barnes Yard April 1, 2013 at 9:48 pm #

Gorgeous! LOVE! Now I want to do it!

22. Stacey April 2, 2013 at 7:12 pm #

Love Love Love!!

23. Janice April 4, 2013 at 10:23 am #

I. need. that. vanity….. So if you ever get sick of it, shoot me an email and I will drive the 6 hours over from Idaho and get it :)

And, I agree, you need your own show. I’d love to see more of you, your work, home, etc.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} April 17, 2013 at 7:49 am #

no way jose! That was my grandpas grandparents and i will never get sick of it :) And thats even the original paint and it works perfect in my house!

24. Vanessa April 9, 2013 at 6:27 pm #

This is so beautiful!! Love all the fabric you used.

Vanessa

25. Staci @ {this} and {that} April 14, 2013 at 8:17 am #

I love this!! It’s giving me an idea for my sewing room. My favorite hoop on that whole wall is the oval one at the very top. Even though it is small, that one stood out the most.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Girls’ Room Makeover. our inspiration: DIY triple bunk, teal & pink, peacocks & pattern | Living Out Loud - April 12, 2013

[...] I love adding texture to the room to give it dimension and character.  I hope to have a pouf, a shag rug, and perhaps something like this lovely hoop art wall inspired by  Sweet Pickings Furniture blog [...]

2. El bastidor ¿Sólo un soporte para bordar? | EnPuntoDeCruz.com - July 9, 2013

[...] En composición de varios bastidores decorando paredes, como proponen en Sweet Pickins [...]