{My Favorite Things In The Shop} – Useful Tools

Ive received an email or two or three… over the years about some of my favorite tools in the shop.  While these pics arent necessarily tools (power tools i guess) – they are some of my most used, cant live without shop tools.  There are of course so many more tools i use on a daily basis depending on the task at hand, but these are used the most.

……………………..

In no particular order…

My most favorite primer ever tinted to a dark brown.  I talked about this product and why i use it here.

Sweet Pickins - Shop Favorites

Paint decks from Sherwin Williams and Ben Moore – you can pick these up for about $10 a piece – or free if your nice like me ;)

Sweet Pickins - Shop Favorites

Tack cloths – i use these every day.  After sanding down furniture these are perfect for cleaning up all that dust.  Especially important if you want to get a nice smooth finish.

Sweet Pickins - Shop Favorites

Ive tried every type of wood filler out there.  They pretty much all suck – in my opinion of course.  Except for Bondo or this 3m all purpose filler.  You just mix some of the putty with some hardener so you only mix up what you need and what you can use in just a couple minutes.  Its the only product that i have found that doesnt dry up and shrivel making you have to repeat the process.  It also paints up perfect – most of the putty/wood fillers are so porous that when its painted its obvious that there used to be a hole there.  This stuff is the best – try it.

Sweet Pickins - Shop Favorites

Ahh – probably my most favorite shop tool there is.  I use this brush so much!  Its perfect for getting rid of fine dust or piles of crap.  I use it for furniture, cleaning off saws and cleaning off my work bench.  I’d be lost without this thing.  You cant find these at lowes or home depot, you most likely will need to go to a specialty wood finishing store.

Sweet Pickins - Shop Favorites

I dont know the official name of these – paint tripods?!!  I dont know what to call them but they are awesome.  I have 4 of them and when not in use they just fold up and hang up on the wall.  They are perfect for keeping things off the ground to paint.  I use them for signs, frames, small pieces, cabinet doors, etc.

Sweet Pickins - Shop Favorites

My paint sprayer of course.  I cant imagine brushing all this furniture, it would take days to paint one thing!  Plus the finish you get is awesome.  There are so many options for paint sprayers out there so you must do your research.  I really need to do an updated post on mine soon.  I talked about buying this sprayer here.

Sweet Pickins - Shop Favorites

Shop sink – this pic is when i used to be renting the shop.  Now that i am back home, my husband put a sink in the garage and i love it.  When i used to work at home when i 1st started i had to come in the house every time to clean my gun – sometimes thats about 10 times a day!  A shop sink is the best – and you dont have to keep it clean – obviously i didnt!

Sweet Pickins - Shop Favorites

Sand paper and sanding blocks.  I never throw away sanding blocks, worn out blocks can be used for distressing and other things.  This is just one bin of my sand paper.

Sweet Pickins - Shop Favorites

Peg board – i had already started cleaning this one off (when i was leaving the rented shop) when i took this pic, but i just keep my most used tools here so they are always easy to get too.

Sweet Pickins - Shop Favorites

Air nozzle hooked to the air compressor – perfect for blowing off the majority of dust after sanding or blowing out the insides of dressers prior to painting.  I use this all the time.

Sweet Pickins - Shop Favorites

Like i said, this is just a list of little useful tools that i use every day.  I will have to do a post on some real tools – power tools that i use often.

Whats your favorite little tool that you cant live without?

16 Responses to {My Favorite Things In The Shop} – Useful Tools

1. Jeanna February 1, 2013 at 10:50 am #

My favorite is my scraper – I refinish furniture, so I’m always scrapping paint or leftover varninsh that didn’t come off the first time.
    instead of tack clothes, I take scraps of t-shirts and soak in turpentine to pick up dust. then to clean, soak in ammonia and water to release the crud and throw in washer.
    I enjoy your posts – I’m seriously thinking about taking my business full-time and have been inspired by your progress!~

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} February 1, 2013 at 5:19 pm #

for your homemade tack cloths, after you soak them in turpentine do you let them dry before you use them or do you wipe the furniture while they are wet?

• Jeanna February 2, 2013 at 9:34 am #

I don’t “really” soak them, just take a dry cloth, Put on top of turpentine can, tip it over in a couple of spots so it’s damp, not soaked – then wipe up the dust.

2. Susan @ sunflowerhugs.blogspot.com February 1, 2013 at 11:52 am #

I don’t spray furniture, I paint by hand, but I appreciate this list! I love that brush–we had them in my high school art class and it brings back so many memories. :)

I am glad you noted you keep the sanding sponges even if they are beat up. I think they are so expensive, but I realize now I am not using them long enough.

I am going to try that 3m filler. I have only filled holes a few time and I think it looks terrible so I avoid it all costs.

Thanks!
    Susan

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} February 1, 2013 at 5:14 pm #

you are so very welcome!

3. Natalie February 1, 2013 at 4:14 pm #

I can’t live without my leather work gloves! I use deer skin gloves when I am working on prepping or building. They save my hands. My putty knife is essential and I never have too many canvas drop cloths. I tried your formula when I mixed my last gallon of SW primer but it came out a lighter grey than yours. Not sure what happened…

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} February 1, 2013 at 5:14 pm #

i wonder if the store didnt use the deep base primer? I have heard that its a newer product and that not all stores have it…

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} February 1, 2013 at 5:18 pm #

oh yes, putty knives! I use lots of those for all different things. I use lots of drop cloths as well, but not for splatters or drips mostly for just covering up finished furniture :)

4. Rob February 1, 2013 at 6:17 pm #

I’m curious how you move your furniture from spot to spot? My wife and I recently bought an upright piano with the intention of painting it but it’s not easy moving it around. Is there a tool/dolly that you use to move your big, heavy, awkward pieces?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} February 5, 2013 at 8:29 pm #

Oh my little furniture mover thingys are the best!! As soon as a piece comes into the shop i immediately place it on the dolly, it makes everything so easy to move around. I have gotten mine from several places, but harbor freight is the cheapest and work well for most furniture. Here is the link (i get the plastic ones, i believe they are $20.00)

5. Tanya February 2, 2013 at 7:04 pm #

You have an amazing work area! I need to get my work area organized, always love to see what you are working on :)

xo, Tanya

6. Katrina February 3, 2013 at 10:56 am #

Can you please tell me where you bought the “paint tripods”? I cannot find them online.

Thanks!

7. Jessica @ The Junk Nest February 8, 2013 at 8:29 pm #

wow, I loved this post but also realized that I am not anywhere close to where you are with a painting business…lol.

I want some of those tripods! And …. thanks for the tip on the sanding blocks. I never thought about saving them for distressing :)

Great post.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} February 8, 2013 at 9:03 pm #

thanks! Yes, those tripods are awesome!!

8. Angie May 13, 2013 at 2:30 pm #

I have a few piece I’d like to paint there are so many techniques out there. Chalk paint, milk paint, spray paint, hand painting or painting with a sprayer what do u recommend?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} May 20, 2013 at 12:38 pm #

i use a graco 7.0 pro finish sprayer – i really like it :)