My table re-do with new wood top!!

Sweet Pickins - using steel wool to stain table

Oh – you guys, i am SO excited to show you my transformed table!  I love it so much and after wanting to make the change for a couple years, am so glad i finally did it!

It was a fairly easy re-do with a big impact, i dont know why i waited so long!

Anyways – its done now :)

This is the last pic i took of my table.  It was a good decent table that wasnt exactly cheap so i just didnt want to get rid of it, plus i really like the lines of the chairs.  But what i hated so much besides it being black, was the table top.  It had all these lines in it to mimic wood planks and trying to keep it clean (on top of being black) was a nightmare.

Plus the black was so heavy and just didnt flow with my room – i can tell now in looking at the 2 pics, how much changing it to white really helps make my space look the way i want it too :)

Sweet Pickins - using steel wool to stain table

I really wanted the look of a farmhouse table, and unfortunately my black table top had some MDF mixed in, so i wasnt able to just sand it down and stain that, it had to be replaced.

When i had my “great clean out“, i took the top off the table and sold it.  I kept the chairs, bench and table legs.  They all sat in the basement a couple of weeks until i had the chance to paint it one weekend.

I painted the base of the table and all the chairs in a high gloss finish, with no distressing.  The top was made from stock lumber from lowes.

I got 3 different sizes for the top, 2 2×8’s, 2 2×10’s and 2 2×12’s (all 8ft lengths, i just cut off 1ft to get the right length) – i just wanted a more casual “pieced together” look so thats why i did the different sizes.  For all 6 pieces of wood, i only paid about $55

Sweet Pickins - using steel wool to stain table

To give the wood a little character, i used lots of little tools to add lots of dings and dents to the wood.  A hammer (using both sides), a razor blade to scrape off a lot of the edges and make big grooves in the edges, a phillips and flat head screwdriver for making small holes and dents, and different size screws for making various other marks in the table (just lay the screw flat and hammer it into the wood).

Sweet Pickins - using steel wool to stain wood

After i did lots of distressing, i used a 220 grit sandpaper on my orbital sander and smoothed the wood out.  I was very careful on this step as i didnt want any lifting wood.  Splinters suck big time.

After the wood was sanded, i used my vinegar and steel wool concoction that i posted about here to stain the table.  I ended up doing just 2 coats of the vinegar to stain the wood.  I did this method rather than using a traditional stain because its super easy and i did a test on a scrap beforehand and it turned out to be the perfect color.

After it was dry, i went over the wood again with the 220 sandpaper to smooth it out one last time.

After bringing in the top and before attaching it all together, i gave the wood several coats of Howards Feed n’ Wax – this stuff is awesome!  It really gave the wood the look i was going for and it brought out all the distressing i did, as well as the pretty natural features in the wood.  Who knew that stock lumber could look so awesome?!

Sweet Pickins - using steel wool to stain wood

You can see in this pic below, just how much the wax changes the wood.  In real life, the unwaxed piece of wood in the front was really gray.  The Howards wax turned it to just the right shade of warm brown/gray.

Sweet Pickins - using steel wool to stain wood

After everything was waxed, i attached the table with strips of wood underneath the table – sorry i forgot to take a pic!  Its just 5 strips of 1×2’s spaced evenly under the table and then those are screwed in from underneath.  I ended up doing it this way because it was easy, and i didnt want to glue them together in case we ever need to move the table.  The top is super heavy!!  There were a few metal brackets that the old table top was attached with and those were used as well to secure the top to the table.

And just look at her now – so pretty!!  I cant get over it…i LOVE it tons!

Sweet Pickins - using steel wool to stain wood

I had bought a new jute rug to go under the table, but now that the table is white, im really loving the contrast with the floor.  So i think im just going to go rugless for now.

And i am loving bringing in some natural wood, it makes the space feel cozier :)

It looks perfect with my EAT sign…

Sweet Pickins - using steel wool to stain wood

Here are a few close up’s of the wood…

Sweet Pickins - using steel wool to stain wood

Sweet Pickins - using steel wool to stain wood

By the way, i just got those enamel containers from Ikea, just $12 for the pair!  I super love them and am going back for more :)

Sweet Pickins - using steel wool to stain wood

Sweet Pickins - using steel wool to stain wood

Sweet Pickins - using steel wool to stain wood

I also took the arm rests off my bench – i hated those stupid things!  So hard for people to get in and out of the table!

Sweet Pickins - using steel wool to stain wood

And one last after pic…

Sweet Pickins - using steel wool to stain table

The 411

Paint color on chairs/table (and cabinets) – Ben Moore Mascarpone (i had mine mixed up by Sherwin Williams)

Stain used for table top – Homemade mixture of vinegar and steel wool, i posted about that here.  And Howards Feed n’ Wax (i have done about 4 coats and i think thats good, i let them dry for a day inbetween)

Super cute blue enamel containers – Ikea

Fun pillows on bench – TJ Maxx

My completely awesome EAT sign – posted about here.  You can buy one here.

My wall color – Sherwin Williams Repose Gray @ 125%

Table/chairs originally bought from Vintage Oak in SLC, UT

……………………

Watcha think?!  I know that i am LOVING it :)

Sharing @

a to z pic

party button

78 Responses to My table re-do with new wood top!!

1. Elissa February 24, 2013 at 10:58 pm #

Looks like its always been a part of your fabulous kitchen! :) love it!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} February 25, 2013 at 8:21 am #

thanks girl!!

2. Amy February 24, 2013 at 11:05 pm #

I have the same table but not the bar height. I love what you did with the table. What kind of brush did you use to paint the chairs and the legs? I would love to do this to my table but not sure i could get it to look as nice as yours.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} February 25, 2013 at 7:55 am #

i use a paint sprayer to paint all my furniture – no hand brushing for me!

3. Teresa February 24, 2013 at 11:57 pm #

Your table looks amazing! White paint is magical, makes everything it touches beautiful. I love the distressing you did on your table, looks great. My hubs and I just finished making a farmhouse table too. You can see it at

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} February 25, 2013 at 7:53 am #

it looks awesome! I especially love the distressed legs on yours :)

4. denise February 25, 2013 at 5:23 am #

love the redo!! I am also loving the light fixture over the island. would you please share where you found it? it is beautiful!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} February 25, 2013 at 7:51 am #

thanks!! Thats a 2nd hand find i bought about 5 years ago @ a consignment store. I get lots of questions about it and i have looked for a “maker” on it and nothing to be found!

5. Cindy February 25, 2013 at 5:31 am #

I’m speechless! I love how it looks! You’re an absolute inspiration and I can’t thank you enough for the step-by-step approach you use on your blog. It’s something that keeps me coming back for more! Amazing work!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} February 25, 2013 at 7:50 am #

awesome, thank you very much!

6. Julie February 25, 2013 at 5:55 am #

LOVE the table!! You have a BEAUTIFUL kitchen. Thank you for posting such good pictures and writing about your project.

7. Julie February 25, 2013 at 5:58 am #

PS. Are you going to repaint your bar stools the same color as your table?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} February 25, 2013 at 8:22 am #

i cant decide to paint them the same color, a light gray or take off all the paint and stain them the same color as the table top – kinda thinking about the stain the most :)

8. JamieK February 25, 2013 at 6:07 am #

Sooo awesome! Hmmm…you are so inspiring. I have a round table sitting…would love to try this. thank you!! Your room is absolutely beautiful!

9. Keni Farnwalt February 25, 2013 at 7:31 am #

Of course it is beautiful & it came at the perfect time for me. I just stained a table top & I haven’t put a finish on it. I love the look of the waxes from Ce Ce Caldwell & Anne Sloan but they are so expensive & I use so much! I’m also going back to my latex paints for the same reasons. Your stuff always looks great with it. How do you feel about the chalk & milk paints?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} February 25, 2013 at 8:25 am #

i agree, too expensive to use for as much as i paint. I also dont like the way chalk paint distresses – i like more of a chippy/scraped off look that i can get with latex. I do like milk paint, but its just a lot more time consuming hand brushing rather than spraying it on like i do with latex (ive tried spraying the milk paint and it just doesnt work)

10. Ann Marie @ Twice Lovely February 25, 2013 at 7:38 am #

Looks so fresh! Love it! I went through a black phase in my home too. Seems like everything I put in there was painted black. We’re getting ready to move in a month and when we do, I’m planning on repainting everything bit by bit and lightening everything up.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} February 25, 2013 at 8:27 am #

thanks!! Yes, im so over black…for the most part :)

11. Heather February 25, 2013 at 8:25 am #

Looks great! My husband just made us a farmhouse table as well. Did you cut the arms off of your bench? I can’t tell if it had arms to begin with. We also have a bench and I’m debating taking the arms off so we can push it under the table.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 12, 2013 at 2:30 pm #

i didnt cut them off – i was just able to unscrew them. So glad i did!! I kept the arms just in case – but threw them away the other day cuz i will never be putting them back on!!

12. Jen February 25, 2013 at 8:43 am #

You have a beautiful kitchen and home! I need you to come help me! ;)

13. Stacey February 25, 2013 at 8:52 am #

Beautiful and fresh. Your kitchen is amazing!

14. erin February 25, 2013 at 8:52 am #

Looks fantastic!

15. Jamie February 25, 2013 at 10:40 am #

I LOVE your Kitchen & all of the white! It makes it look so clean & fresh!! I have never used a wax finish, are there any other waxes that you’d recommend for finishing a table?

16. Katie @momslrb February 25, 2013 at 10:47 am #

I LOVE, love, love that EAT sign. We are currently trying to give our kitchen a refresh and I think this would be awesome in our kitchen.

And that table is gorgeous!

17. Jesse B @ Scout & Nimble February 25, 2013 at 11:58 am #

It looks gorgeous as always, Sausha! I think you have me convinced to go buy a sprayer…and I will have to add that Howard’s feed and wax to my list, too. You used it instead of poly, right? Does it hold up just as well? I had previously used Annie Sloan’s wax on my kitchen table, but it recently started staining in spots where the boys spilled some salad dressings and such. I’m thinking I need to top it off again and was going to just go with poly this time, but maybe this would be better?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 12, 2013 at 2:29 pm #

a paint sprayer is the way to go!! I already replied to your other comment on the wax/poly :) By the way – i got my Gemma curtains from Worl Market the other day – perfect!! Thanks so much getting me inspired with all your cute florals :)

• Jesse @ Scout & Nimble March 14, 2013 at 7:18 pm #

Hilarious…it didn’t look like it took my first comment…that’s why I posted that again! Instead I looked crazy…;)

The Gemma curtains are SO PRETTY…cannot wait to see the kids office finished! ;)

18. Mindi February 25, 2013 at 12:42 pm #

AMAZING! The white looks so much better and I LOVE the top!

19. Heather February 25, 2013 at 1:34 pm #

Nevermind! I just re-read that you did take the arms off :)

20. Allison February 25, 2013 at 3:52 pm #

Beautiful! So fresh & tranquil. I picked up a paint chip of Repose Gray, just curious if the color goes well with any greens or blues you have? Like you had, my living room walls are a greenish tone but clashing with some colors. I need a simple palette to help bring in other colors. Hoping your experience with Repose Gray is still a good one? Thanks!!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 12, 2013 at 2:27 pm #

I LOVE the repose – it goes with everything!!

21. Julia February 25, 2013 at 4:11 pm #

Ok, I’m sorry…. I don’t get it!!!!!!!!! How does ONE person end up with so much creative genius?? This is gorgeous and I’ll be honest, I didn’t think your house could get any more perfect, and there you go proving me wrong again!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 12, 2013 at 2:26 pm #

haha!! Thanks so much!! The table really does make it so much better!!

22. Melissa Boyce February 25, 2013 at 6:18 pm #

Girl, you have a nice a– kitchen! I am jealous and I just might have to pin you! :) Nice job on the table– love it!

23. shelly andrade February 25, 2013 at 7:10 pm #

Sausha, your table turned out SO cool! I just love it!!!

24. Sheila February 25, 2013 at 9:44 pm #

Great job. Soooo much better. It fits so perfectly with your decor.

25. Shannon Blogger Homes February 26, 2013 at 9:48 am #

I love it! It looks SO great!!! Perfect makeover that coordinates so well with your adjoining spaces.
    xo,
    Shannon

26. Jenni Vreeland February 26, 2013 at 11:34 am #

Love everything you do! Your blog was the first one I happened upon when I first was on Pinterest (trying to find inspiration) and you inspired me to start redoing furniture. I thought to myself after reading your blog all day, I could do that! :) I started off with doing pieces for just me but I am starting to do pieces for others as well and selling at flea markets. Thank you for all your great pieces and great blog and tips!!
    I am not fortunate enough to have an Ikea even remotely close and looking online for those great blue containers. They would go great in my kitchen!! Do you know if they have a specific name I could search under?
    Thanks again!

27. Ashley Clark February 26, 2013 at 12:05 pm #

The wax really changed it. It is so pretty I love it!!! It fits you!

28. Jana Kelley February 26, 2013 at 2:44 pm #

I love this kitchen soooo much, i would actually cook in it and probably sleep in it also….

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 12, 2013 at 2:09 pm #

haha!! Wanna come over and clean it?! ;)

29. Heidi Allred February 26, 2013 at 8:19 pm #

It looks AWESOME!! Perfect in your white kitchen. I love love love it. :)

30. Christie Blake February 27, 2013 at 12:12 am #

Love it!!! Where did you get the Howard’s wax?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 12, 2013 at 2:08 pm #

i bought it from Home Depot

31. Tanya February 27, 2013 at 5:10 pm #

I love it!!! What a gorgeous table , I am ordering some of the wood conditioner you mentioned, cannot wait to try it :)

xo, Tanya

32. paige February 27, 2013 at 10:19 pm #

I have the same table and hate the grooves because they are so hard to clean. After scrubbing in the cracks so many times, I have ended up ruining the MDF in there. I love the way you brightened up the space with the white. I need to find a furniture painter here in Texas and change my table up!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 12, 2013 at 2:08 pm #

so glad i did it!!

33. Linda Parent February 28, 2013 at 5:59 pm #

I was wondering if you find your wax finish creates any white rings with a hot coffee mug for instance?

Love your blog!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 12, 2013 at 2:06 pm #

nope – i havent noticed any rings yet

34. Terry February 28, 2013 at 8:23 pm #

Okay, you make me want to change mine now! Black is so hard to keep up with. Yours is so Wow and Wonderful.

35. Jesse @ Scout & Nimble March 1, 2013 at 7:16 am #

Gorgeous as always, Sausha! I am in love with your EAT sign, too. I may have to check out this Howard’s Feed & Wax…the finish on it is beautiful. You used this instead of poly, right? I white washed my kitchen table and covered it with Annie Sloan’s Clear Wax, but after a year of being used and abused by my boys, it is starting to show some stains (mainly oils from foods, etc…) I was going to go ahead and fix the stains and re-coat the whole thing with poly, but maybe this stuff would be better? What do you think?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 12, 2013 at 2:05 pm #

thanks!!

I use poly a lot for tops of dining tables and would have used it on mine, except i wanted more of a rustic look. the problem with poly on a dark surface is that if it gets scratched, it will leave a white mark behind – so with your table being lighter you will probably be ok – and the poly will be so much more duarable than wax!

36. Janae March 1, 2013 at 8:09 am #

I love it! I am going to redo mine {as soon as I can convince my husband}! My question is about your primer. I am considering a liquid deglazer and an oil based primer for the legs. What are your thoughts? Is an oil based primer the way to go? Thanks for the wax suggestion! Perfect!

37. sheila n March 8, 2013 at 5:27 pm #

Lovely, can’t wait to start my kitchen make over.

38. fabric lounges March 12, 2013 at 11:17 pm #

That is an amazing transformation! and the color perfectly match the entire kitchen. Love it!

39. Diivanid March 14, 2013 at 9:12 am #

This wax change made realy wonders. Nce blog post.

40. Jen March 16, 2013 at 8:12 pm #

What kind of cloth did you use to apply the wax?
    It looks beautifu!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 18, 2013 at 9:04 pm #

i used an old sock!

41. audrey March 23, 2013 at 1:26 pm #

i love the creamy table! You were right…pretty!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 28, 2013 at 5:43 pm #

thanks girl!

42. Jen March 26, 2013 at 7:14 pm #

I just finished my kids table just like this and I LOVE it! How long did it take for it not to be waxy and greasy?

43. Rose April 8, 2013 at 3:44 pm #

Just LOVE your table!!! Its so pretty:) I tried to mix up the vinagar and steel wool, but it didn’t seem to work right. The color never changed and the wool never desinagrated??? It has been sitting for about 24hr. I used 0000 steel wool, what brand vinagar and steel wool did you use? I really want this finish for my table it’s beautiful. I could use all the help I can get:) Also did the wax, is that also a sealer. Did it make the wood shiny? Thanks so much!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} April 17, 2013 at 7:39 am #

sometimes it takes longer for the wool to start dissolving – its been different everytime i have made the solution. As for the wax it is also a sealer, the wood stayed shiny for a few days but is now a matte finish

44. Thais June 18, 2013 at 9:58 am #

Looks wonderful, you did a great job.

45. Amanda June 28, 2013 at 11:27 am #

Beautiful job! I was wondering if it is hard to wipe the table off, do the crumbs get stuck in the cracks?

46. Jamie July 5, 2013 at 9:10 am #

Shausha! I have the same table (not counter height). I love this. You have inspired me. We just took apart the table and can’t wait to follow your tutorial. You’re amazing! Xo

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} July 11, 2013 at 1:26 pm #

Cant wait to see it all done!!

47. Erica July 25, 2013 at 6:10 pm #

Your kitchen is fabulous!! I love this and would so love to change the color of the cabinets in my house. I’m so happy I ran across your site. I definitely will be adding to my faves! :)

48. Lisa Y August 16, 2013 at 6:15 am #

Looks beautiful! I have a table with black trim that I’m thinking of painting white as well. I see you used the same paint as your cabinets, that is something I was wondering about. My cabinets are a creamy color (Benjamin Moore Navajo white) and I was wondering if you could give me your opinion on whether I should match the paint with my cabinets or just go with a basic white (I would rather go with the basic white but I’m not sure if it will look right).
    Thanks in advance!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} September 22, 2013 at 10:48 am #

its so hard to tell without seeing the space – for me, because ours are so close together, i thought it would look best to have the same whites

49. Joe September 7, 2013 at 6:20 am #

What type of wood are the 2x8s / 2x10s?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} September 22, 2013 at 10:34 am #

Its just the standard wood that you can get at lowes – nothing special. I believe they are Fir

50. Firefly234 October 11, 2013 at 4:47 pm #

Hi there, love how the fir table top transformed from the vinegar/steel wool. Did you seal the top after the feed n wax or do you think the wax will keep that beautiful warm brown color? I usually use poly after a vinegar stain and changes it to something I’m usually not pleased with. I really like this look but don’t know if the feed n wax will stay :) thanks for any reply In advance :)

51. Rhonda January 3, 2014 at 9:09 am #

Love it – I have an antique cherry dining table that I’ve been dying to paint white… maybe this will get me to be brave enough to do it?

Is your table bar-height? My hubby really wants us to do that in our eat-in kitchen (we dont have a formal dining room) but I’m hesitant. How do you like it if so?

52. Jennifer June 5, 2014 at 7:31 am #

Love this! Can you post a pic of the bottom of your table so I can how it is put together? Thanks!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks