Vintage Inspired Valentine Sign

Sooooo, i wanted to make a wooden sign for Christmas and just didnt find the time.  Well, the next holiday up is Valentines and im on it!  This last weekend we had a rare weekend when we had nothing planned – no soccer, no bday or family parties, nothing.  All in all i was pretty lazy but i did make this sign that i had been thinking about for a few weeks.

When i think Valentines, i always imagine candy hearts and scalloped cards that i used to get as a kid – man i wish i saved those!  Anyways – i wanted to give my sign a vintage valentiney feel so i thought the scallops were perfect.  I have to admit that after the sign was done, i didnt love it like i thought i would…its still not my favorite but its growing on me.  Maybe once i get the rest of the mantle decorated i will like it better…

……………..

For the sign, i used some scrap boards that were 8ft long.  I cut each down to 4ft.

To attach the wood together, i just used some scrap wood strips.  They were glued and then nailed on.

For the scallops i found a bowl and used that as a template.  This is where maybe some measuring could have come in handy.  I ended up having to add another board at the end to get my scallops to come out even.

Then after i got everything drawn out, i used my jigsaw to cut out the scallops.

To add to the vintage feel of my sign, i bought some lace for a couple dollars and spread that over the wood – be sure to lay it out nice and flat.  Then i used some white spray paint and gave it a light coat right over the lace.  I wasnt going for perfection, just a quick light coat.  Right after i spray painted over the lace, i took it off and then waited for the paint to dry.

After the paint was dry, i used my orbital sander and gave everything a good sanding to give the fresh paint a worn look.  My boards i used were old and covered with dirt and cement dust (they were actually used for cement forms long ago!) – so to add to the aged look i didnt clean them before painting over them, the dust helps the paint not to stick in some places.

Next up was my heart.  I remember doing this same type of “string art” in elementary school, but when i saw Mandi’s post about her sign a while back it brought up some memories!  You have to check out Mandi’s sign @ Vintage Revivals here – its too cute!

I just like to eyeball things, so i didn’t measure or draw anything out.  Also, since i was going for a vintage, handmade look – perfection was not necessary!  I just pounded in the nails in a heart shape.  Some spots i had to draw a light pencil line to get the right shape for the    heart but other than that i just eyeballed everything.

Lastly i took some thin crochet string and wrapped it around the nails.  To start the string i just tied it around one of the nails and then just criss crossed the string around all the nails.  I didnt follow any pattern, i just made sure to get all parts of the heart covered.

Apparently, this looked like too much fun and Zailee took over for me!

After we finished the heart, I just cut the string and tied it off on one of the nails.

Here you can clearly see that my nails arent evenly spaced and are far from perfect!  But thats they way i like it.

Like i said, im not 100% sold on the sign.  Maybe when i do some more decorating on the mantle it will grow on me.  PLUS, i got some plans for my mantle!  I really want to change the color and some things on it, so thats why i havent finished up decorating because i will be doing a little DIY makeover in the next couple of weeks.  So excited!

20 Responses to Vintage Inspired Valentine Sign

1. Sherri January 15, 2013 at 9:37 pm #

LOVE IT…

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} January 16, 2013 at 5:50 pm #

thanks so much!

2. Rochelle January 15, 2013 at 9:52 pm #

LOVE IT. Thanks for the idea for my display shelf:)

3. Robin January 16, 2013 at 10:13 am #

Oh My! That is so cool!

4. Mandi @ Vintage Revivals January 16, 2013 at 11:39 am #

Dude!! Thanks so much for the shout out!! For what its worth I think its SO cute, and ove the lace!

love your guts
    mandi

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} January 16, 2013 at 5:49 pm #

Your totally welcome! And its growing on me, so maybe i’ll keep it up for valentines :)

5. Taylor January 16, 2013 at 7:50 pm #

Hi, love the string art, my question is where did you get the nails you used? Are they easy to find? I think they are really different looking.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} January 16, 2013 at 8:16 pm #

i just got them from lowes in the nail section. They are meant for cement. I used them in the past for other projects and always loved how they dont look like ordinary nails :)

6. Tracey January 16, 2013 at 7:56 pm #

I think it’s really cool–and I “get” that it’s growing on you. My first impression was that the scallops were meant to resemble a lacy border. I would probably take a drill with different sized paddle bits and create a pattern of holes resembling the edge of a paper doily. It could be subtle or more ornate depending on personal taste. Just a thought. Very pretty as is, too!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} January 16, 2013 at 8:15 pm #

Ha! That was actually what i had in mind before making the sign. I have this cute scalloped paper punch that has some hole detail that i was going to copy. But, when i did a test piece on a scrap board i didnt like it…maybe if my overall board was smaller it would have looked ok with the size hole bits that i have, but i needed big to fill up my mantle!

7. Janet Lawson January 16, 2013 at 9:11 pm #

Love it..

8. Kimberly Ball January 17, 2013 at 12:36 pm #

You are so creative and talented!

9. Daniel Sides January 17, 2013 at 3:29 pm #

Wow! What a nice design, Great, you’re such an artist.

10. sue January 17, 2013 at 10:14 pm #

I think it came out well. Good job! My only addition would be a bright red ribbon, cord or rope to out line it. I am the type who keeps adding to my designs… so forgive me for suggesting more… I think I would take the red and loop it once around each nail head to form an outline. Also, having an olympic arher in the family, I might have taken one of his arrows, dulled it down and worked it into the design somewhere. Just my thoughts, keep up the good work! You are my inspiration.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} January 23, 2013 at 7:54 pm #

I like that the heart is subtle,and i think in real life its a little more defined than the pics show. But i love your idea for the arrow – that would be awesome!!

11. Stephanie January 18, 2013 at 5:22 am #

LOVE the scalloped shape – and spray painting over the lace was a great touch – super creative!

12. Cathy@My1929Charmer January 20, 2013 at 7:38 pm #

I don’t need any time to get used to it, I love it. It is so pretty, unique and creative!!!!

13. Ann vonBehrens January 23, 2013 at 6:33 am #

I am not a huge fan of typical Valentines projects. But this one I love.
    What an awesome idea. I would love to have you share it at my
    Restyled Sundays party.
    I love your new name too!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} January 23, 2013 at 7:43 pm #

thanks and thanks!!

14. Meredith February 20, 2013 at 12:38 pm #

This sign is great! I really love the whole idea. This gives me inspiration for my own home.