My Craft Room!

Finally!  I am here to post some pics of my craft room!  This room has actually been done for a while now, but i just could never clean it out long enough to get some pics!  For some reason, this room is the catch all for everything in our house that is waiting for a home – so it always seems to be piled up with junk.

But – this is my most favorite room in the house.  I love everything about it.  I think its because its really just a hodge podge of junk, and i love it!  Everything in it – from my chunky reclaimed wood table, my crisp and clean white shelves, all the wire baskets filled with who knows what, piles of fabric, old doors, overflow of decorations and my silver chandelier, all the stuff that makes me happy.  Its a small space, but i love how its somewhat really cluttered, i think it adds to the “feel” of the room, it def gives off a craft room vibe.  I just love being in there and looking at all my good junk!

………………………

Anyways – lots of pics here!  I dont really have a good before of the room, this is the best one that i could find from about 2 1/2 years ago.  I had built that large hutch over a dresser, but ultimately it wasn’t enough storage and i needed to do something else, so i sold it and re-did the room.

After adding molding, doors, repainting the room, building shelves on the wall, installing the wood flooring and making my reclaimed lumber table.

Lets start here 1st…the french doors with the lights on is my craft room.  I now need to keep it clean because its the 1st room you see when walking down the stairs!

Ahhh, i love the french doors going in!

When you walk in and look to the right, this is what you see.  For now i have 3 old windows hanging on the wall.  I had some plans to put window boxes under them for some more storage, but i now have something else planned for this wall – the windows will be moved somewhere else.

When you look to the left, i have an old door painted with chalkboard hanging horizontally.  There is also an old door cut down to make my glue gun station.  This area is also being changed up a little in the future because i need some more storage – ive got a couple ideas to help fix that!

Looking straight in on the back wall, are the 3 long shelves that i built.  When i was building them, i didnt take any pics along the way.  They basically consisted of a 2×4 on the wall, 1/2″ MDF for the top and bottoms of the shelves, crown molding and then the decorative corbels.  This is really one of my favorite things in the room.  They are about 9ft long a piece, so they hold lots and lots of stuff.

All of the wire baskets are actually new, just made to look old.  I got them about 5 years ago from Roberts Crafts – they were clearing them out for super cheap (i think about $4 a piece) – so i went to every singe store i could get to and cleaned them out!  Im so glad i got as much as i could because i love how i can see all my stuff.  For me “out of sight, out of mind”  is so true!

Of course the star of my craft room is my giant table, i posted about the making of that here.  I love this table so much!  I love the clean white shelves and french doors and then the light gray paint against the old wood.  Perfection.

Under my table is a vintage laundry basket with lots of pillows waiting to be transformed.

On top of the table is an old wooden box with lots of cubbies.  Each cubby has a silver bucket to hold lots of junk – this really needs to be cleaned out!  I seem to collect crap so fast.

Under my shelves are lots of overflow decoration stuff…old windows and lots of picture frames.  One day i will finally get these hung somewhere, but for now it adds to the hodge podge look i have going on.

Over in one corner is an antique metal sink that came from my great grandma.  Its full of fabric that for sure needs to be cleaned out – its almost taller than me now!

The other corner is just a magnet board and some more stuff that’s waiting for a home.

This is one of the areas that i use a lot…my glue gun station.  Its an old door, cut down the middle and then one of the halves used as the top, the other half cut in half again and used as the legs.  I really like how shallow the door is, so it works out perfectly and doesnt take up much room.  But its also a junk collector – so i need to get working on the ideas that i have for more storage.

I love the old hardware on the door and the texture of the paint…

For all my glue gun stuff, i have an old wooden silverware holder to keep them all somewhat organized.

For button and odds and ends storage, i found a 70′s wooden dish server thing, painted it white and it worked out perfect.

…………………….

Thats my craft room!  Now that this room is finally cleaned out enough to use, im really hoping that i will get to start using it.  With the basement projects winding down, i really need to just take some time out and use my favorite room.  This room is way under used and its just too cute not to be in it!

The 411

Paint color – i have no idea!!  I mixed it from some other paints i had lying around to get this color.

Table – see original post here

Shelves – sorry, no tutorial on these!  I dont know why i didnt take pics along the way, they required to much brain power i guess and i just didnt think about it!

…………………….

Have you posted your craft room?  I would love to see it, i love getting ideas!  Just leave the link in the comments so we can all check it out.

36 Responses to My Craft Room!

1. Angie December 30, 2012 at 8:47 am #

Oh. My. Gosh. This is so gorgeous. I love it all. We’re working on converting our office space into a craft room and I just love all of your ideas. The shelves, baskets, chalkboard door…all of it. Can you come do mine? Thanks so much for the inspiration! You always do such nice work! ~ Angie

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} December 30, 2012 at 9:41 am #

thanks! Its a fun room!

2. angela December 30, 2012 at 9:29 am #

So pretty and functional! Love it!
    Angela

3. Anne Marie December 30, 2012 at 9:47 am #

Love. Love. Love. Saving this post for when I finally get my craft room!

4. Stef December 30, 2012 at 10:26 am #

Oh, I love this Sausha!! I have a mix of clean white and anitque wood and metal in my craft sewing room, too, but I always feel like my piles are overflowing too much to take pictures and call it a finished room. I appreciate seeing the wholeness of your craft room where the stacks of picture frames and pillows and fabric add to the decor. Love it!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} December 30, 2012 at 1:20 pm #

if i waited for my craft room to be clean and organized, i would never be able to show it!! I have learned to embrace all my piles of stuff and love them!

5. Nana Diana December 30, 2012 at 10:56 am #

Wow-You did a really GREAT job on your room. It looks terrific and I know what a lot of work it was, too. I am so jealous- right now I am stuck in the basement in part of a space-and it is kinda drab and ugly so not very conducive to crafting- xo Diana

6. Megan December 30, 2012 at 11:28 am #

Your craft room is fantastic!! I love the shelves. I keep trying to figure out what you meant by your brief explanation on how you built them. I miss Robert’s Crafts. :( They had the best stuff for the best prices. I guess that’s why they went out of business! My “craft” room is a junk room for sure. If my junk looked half as pretty as yours, it wouldn’t drive me nuts! Thanks for sharing. Love your style!

7. Heidi Ferguson December 30, 2012 at 11:58 am #

Beautiful! I don’t know how you had time to put this together with your business and everything, must be a long time coming! It look fabulous and I love all the rustic elements with the newer white, that’s my favorite style. My craft room is a section of our great room so it has to be really clean and my baskets are all wood so you can’t see a thing! I get stressed out if I see too much of my own stuff although it might be different if my craft room were really a room I wasn’t in all the time. Anyway looks great!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} December 30, 2012 at 1:19 pm #

i think its been almost 2 years since i finally got this room done, but its always so messy so thats why ive never been able to show pics!!

8. Sarah December 30, 2012 at 12:23 pm #

A-M-AZING!!!!! Wish I had a craft room for all of my “junk” :) Love everything, especially the old wooden server! Great idea!

9. Olivia Cagle December 30, 2012 at 2:32 pm #

I love this! Its definitely a right brained organizational system…: ). You’ve inspired me to turn my office into a craft room like this! :)

10. Kim Felton December 30, 2012 at 2:59 pm #

Ok I’m totally inspired. I love your hot glue gun storage, going home to have my husband and “tim the toolman” son make me one. The tall wide crown molding for the shelves is a bonus storage idea. I too have a photo and a large window on a wall that stills across from me. I think I will leave the windows as it is clean looking and pulls away from the rest of the clutter of my room. I will email you a pic of some of the things I’ve done to my craft room; I’m not a blogger and I deactivated my FB as i’m trying to find a job right now. Anyways, my big project this year will be to convert the closet of that room into my desk/bill pay center and that way I can use the main desk that splits my room for only fun stuff (no serious bill paying, lol). I really like the use of lighting in your room, very bright and you can see what you’ve got going on from more than just one part of the room.

Thanks again for posting these, even if there is no before and after. What you do is perfect, the fact that your doing it and sharing your ideas, is more than good enough.

your glue gun and junk digging transforming sista from north Idaho,
    Kim

11. Suzanne December 30, 2012 at 3:40 pm #

What a wonderful space to create! Love the shelves, the wire baskets, the wall color, the rustic table – just love everything! Enjoy yourself!

12. Brittany aka Pretty Handy Girl December 30, 2012 at 4:30 pm #

Sausha, your craft room looks AMAZING!! I’m totally in love with the chunky rustic leg table. I think it would look great in my craft room (tee, hee.) http://www.prettyhandygirl.com/2012/11/art-and-craft-studio-using-flow-wall-reveal.html

Hope to see you at SNAP again this year.

13. Laurie @ House of 34 December 30, 2012 at 5:25 pm #

Wow!! Love your craft room! You did a beautiful job! The shelves are great! I may have to use that idea! Thank you for sharing.

• Patty Sumner December 30, 2012 at 6:36 pm #

I am so jealous and envious… How do you keep such a beautiful craft room? I do not even forsee having one much less one as lovely as yours.. You are blessed… I know we will see some great creations coming from that room. Blessings and enjoy!

14. Janet Lawson December 30, 2012 at 7:19 pm #

Oh my..I love it all..

15. Janet December 30, 2012 at 7:33 pm #

I love those shelves!! I would love it if you made a tutorial by making a smaller one as a demo.

16. Ella December 30, 2012 at 7:52 pm #

So loving it! In less than a year I’ll gain a craft room of my own when we convert our full length front porch over to indoor space. Your room is major inspiration for me. Those shelves…that table in the center…the halved door turned into slim table…oh my, I can’t wait!!!

17. Tomingo December 30, 2012 at 8:19 pm #

Beautiful room thank you for sharing.

18. Heather December 30, 2012 at 9:14 pm #

WOW!!!! I am sooooo envious! Happy New Year!

19. Chelsea December 31, 2012 at 6:57 am #

This is absolutely amazing, beautiful and SO inspiring! All the things in your craft room are literally spread over every floor in my home. I struggle with finding a space big enough to collect everything as we are lacking a spare room. You have shown that these things can be beautiful when organized well! I’m gonna show these pictures to my husband to see if we can figure out a better system for me with the space we have! Thanks for posting this room!

20. Gayle December 31, 2012 at 9:40 am #

What an inspiring space you have created for yourself! I’m sure there are LOTS of us green with envy after seeing it! Congrats on designing such a beautiful & functional space!

21. Jackie December 31, 2012 at 9:45 am #

Here is my room
    I’m in need of some more storage too. I love your wire baskets! Hoping to find something like that. I hate to have piles so would like to build something under my cutting table to organize them.
    I love your craft room–thanks for sharing!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} January 16, 2013 at 6:13 pm #

I would love to have a room as big as yours!! All that storage you have is awesome! Thanks for showing it to us!!

22. Sheila January 2, 2013 at 9:08 pm #

it’s official. I am creating a craft room. I have needed one my whole life. I don’t know where I am going to put it since I have 4 kids and a 3 bedroom house, but it is going to happen. Thanks for the inspiration.

23. Holly January 8, 2013 at 3:38 pm #

Love the baskets on the shelves! Where did you find those :)

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} January 16, 2013 at 6:04 pm #

I got them from Roberts Crafts in Utah years ago!

24. Shannon January 25, 2013 at 7:59 am #

What are the dimension of your craft room? Trying to fit one in my basement now!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} January 29, 2013 at 10:00 pm #

its not big, its about 11 x 11!! A lot of crap packed into that little space!!

25. Denise February 16, 2013 at 11:32 am #

Hi there Sausha! First time visiting and have really enjoyed my stay. Your craft room is FABULOUS. It has SO much character and I’m inspired to go make something just looking at it….lol. All the best and I’ll be sure to pop back for more inspiration in the near future. Cheers.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} February 25, 2013 at 8:12 am #

thanks so much – i love that room!

26. Shannon Blogger Homes February 26, 2013 at 9:50 am #

Gorgeous! I can’t wait to get my office/craft room all sorted in our new house!
    You should come and share your house on http://www.bloggerhomes.com!
    xo,
    Shannon

27. Dawn May 14, 2013 at 9:42 pm #

What are the dimensions of that cute wood table? I need one that size.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} May 20, 2013 at 12:37 pm #