{Christmas 2012 Mantle} – with ornament wreath tutorial

I know that ornament wreaths are nothing new.  I remember when i first saw one about 3 years ago (i cant remember the 1st one i saw) – i knew that i had to have one.  SO, i stockpiled ornaments for almost 3 years.  Every time i went to goodwill the 1st place i went was the Christmas isle and i looked for and took all the vintage ornaments i could get.  I think i ended up using about 40 boxes of ornaments!  This wreath is huge!  Like 3 ft wide huge!

I knew i wanted my wreath huge and i wanted it mostly in pastel colors – no traditional christmas colors for me.  I was able to find lots of vintage ornaments but i did have to mix in some new ornaments as well because the wreath is so big and i needed lots!!

So this year i finally got around to making my wreath, like i said i knew i wanted it big but i wasnt able to find a giant wreath form anywhere!  So i had to get creative.  I was driving and then it came to me – a swim noodle!!  They are big and bendy and the same diameter as a typical wreath form.

I had to put two together to get the size i wanted.  I ended up cutting a little off one of them to get the right size and then just duct taped the two together.  Genius, i know.

Then i took all my ornaments out of the boxes, spread them on the floor to mix up the colors and then put them all in a basket.

I didnt take a lot of pics of the next process, but i think its self explanatory and once you get going its super easy!  I began by hot gluing ornaments around the outside.

I just made sure that i mixed up the colors well, and that i used a couple different sized ornaments so it didnt end up too perfect.  Plus Zailee was helping, so that helped!

Because my wreath is big and i didnt want it to look to skinny when it was done, i glued 2 rows of ornaments around the center.  Again making sure to mix up the colors and use different sizes here and there.

Then, i just piled up ornaments all over filling in everything making sure that i couldnt see my swim noodle between the ornaments.  I have read some tutorials and they recommend covering your wreath form with ribbon or paint so it would be completely hidden, but when all was done there are very few spots that you can see the noodle.  I even had some small ornaments that i used at the very end that helped fill in any holes.

For the gluing – i went through an entire bag of hot glue!!  I would set my ornament where i wanted it to be, see where it touched and then put on some hot glue there – usually in about 3-4 spots so it was nice and secure.

Side note – i ended up removing all the metal ornament hooks so you couldnt see those.  And the holes where the hooks came off from, were all pointed down.

And, can i just tell you, when i was about 1/3 of the way done, i hated it!!  I actually tried taking some of the ornaments off, but they would just break.  So i left it for overnight, and the next day i came back to it.  I figured i would just finish it up and when it was about 3/4 done i loved it!  I just had to pile up the ornaments, fill in all the gaps and then it looked awesome!

For the hanging of my wreath, i took 3 tall vintage windows and placed them side by side.  To secure the wreath, i used a strip of dropcloth to make a bow and then that was secured with a nail on top of the window.

If you follow me on Facebook, then you will know i was having trouble with this mantle yesterday!  But i ended up just taking a break from it and when i came back, i got some ideas and i love how it turned out!

I used some fresh pine garland, swagged that across the mantle along with my white and glass light swag that i got @ Costco years ago.  Then i placed a few blue ornaments into the garland and lots of white pearl picks as well as some glass icicle picks.

I needed a little height on the sides, so i found some white candle sticks and put vintage blue mason jars on them – that worked perfect for height as well as bringing in the blue color (which is also the color of a lot of ornaments on my tree).  They will be filled with epson salt and tea light candles.  I love lighted candles!!

You can see how tall the ornaments are piled up, the wreath is big so it needed lots of layers so it didnt look puny.

……………………..

Thats its!!  Super easy but looks awesome!  Have you made an ornament wreath?  I would love to see it – just link it up in the comments so we can all see!

26 Responses to {Christmas 2012 Mantle} – with ornament wreath tutorial

1. Rita May December 10, 2012 at 12:15 pm #

Great Tutorial! I’ve pinned it to try.

2. Sarah December 10, 2012 at 12:16 pm #

so beautiful!! absolutely love EVERYTHING you do!! i would love to see your tree too!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} December 11, 2012 at 9:33 am #

its almost done and then i will for sure show the tree too :)

3. Elissa December 10, 2012 at 12:18 pm #

Gorgeous!! Love love the different colors! :) Merry Christmas friend!

4. Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. December 10, 2012 at 12:28 pm #

Wow, that is a beauty! It really looks wonderful on the window over your mantel! These are such fun to make too. Here’s my link http://elizabethandco.blogspot.com/2011/12/ornament-wreaths.html
    And here’s when it came crashing down!
    But no worries, it’s all better now!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} December 11, 2012 at 9:33 am #

that was my worst fear – for the wreath to come crashing to the ground! Im glad you got yours all fixed up because its super cute on your awesome old door!

5. Megan December 10, 2012 at 2:18 pm #

I’m pretty sure that everything that you do is awesome! Looks magnificent!

6. Nana Diana December 10, 2012 at 2:25 pm #

Sausha- GORGEOUS!!!!! You did a phenomenal job and it looks perfect-xo Diana

7. Carolina December 10, 2012 at 3:56 pm #

What a gorgeous wreath!!! Thank you for posting such detailed instructions. What a fabulous idea to use the noodles. You have mad skills, girl!

8. Brooke December 10, 2012 at 7:28 pm #

LOVE IT!!! I pinned it to remind me. I think I am now on the hunt for red, silver and white balls to do this. You did a great job!!!

9. Rochelle December 10, 2012 at 7:36 pm #

Great Job! I love that you “bulked” it up. Bigger is better. I love all the colours too!

10. Keni Farnwalt December 10, 2012 at 7:37 pm #

the mantle looks beautiful!!!

11. Shannon December 10, 2012 at 9:44 pm #

Oh my! The description sounds amazing! I can’t wait to see it!!! But, the pictures won’t load… :( I’m going to keep checking because I already know that I love the idea. :)

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} December 11, 2012 at 9:28 am #

i think there was some issues last night, but all should be good now :)

12. Jordann December 11, 2012 at 7:39 am #

This is very simple, yet very elegant! .. I love it, you may have inspired me to make my own ornament wreath for next year! .. I’ll have to keep my eyes pealed for thrifting ornaments! :)
    Thanks for sharing, and sharing how to make one,
    Jordann

13. Mindi December 11, 2012 at 8:58 am #

So great! I am glad you didn’t quit! The wreath looks amazing and the mantle too!

14. Holly @ Life as a Thrifter December 11, 2012 at 1:47 pm #

Love this!! So bright and bold! Just perfect!

• Patty Sumner December 28, 2012 at 2:12 pm #

After seeing this beauty I have been collecting balls at all the after Christmas sells….I am gong to do one in reds, silver and white… I love the mason jars on the whiite candlesticks. Blessings!

15. ThriftDee December 11, 2012 at 8:52 pm #

I love, love, love it! I had the moment when your aren’t sure if you love it or hate it, but I’m glad you kept on. Spectacular!

16. Anna December 13, 2012 at 11:22 pm #

I just love how your wreath turned out!! I love that it is giant and I just love the colors!

17. Shelley December 14, 2012 at 6:26 am #

Ok. I’m not crafty, but the wreath is cute. What I’m taking away are the Mason jars on the candlesticks! I hate buying candles because I can never find “just the right color,” but I do have Mason jars! I had put them away for the season. I just got them out and stuck them on my silver candle sticks and BINGO! Genius! Love it!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} December 28, 2012 at 6:27 pm #

i love them too! i just need to find somewhere in my house that i can put them like that all year :)

18. Katie December 20, 2012 at 7:18 pm #

Drooling over here! This wreath is amazing. I have many projects that I am “collecting” materials for and I always fear that by the time I have enough of what I need the concept will be old hat and they’ll be selling something similar at Target for 10 bucks. You however have shown me it’s worth the wait. This wreath is ONE OF A KIND and I am pinning it right now :)

Your newest follower,
    Katie
    SomethingToBeFound.com

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} December 28, 2012 at 6:20 pm #

oh ya, im a collector too!! It was nice to finally just do something with all my crap!!

19. tracy December 30, 2012 at 3:00 pm #

Wow! That is beautiful! I am super jealous and may attempt one next year.

20. Mary Brinkley September 30, 2013 at 6:47 pm #

I loved the Christmas wreath. You’ve inspired me to try to make one I just hope its as beautiful as yours. :)