{Changes} – no more custom work for a bit

I just wanted to drop in real quick and let you guys know that i am making some changes as far as my furniture biz goes.  As some of you may have noticed, and i know that you have because of the emails i’ve gotten, i haven’t posted any furniture for sale in months!  The reason why, is that i have been so busy with custom orders that i just haven’t been able to get to my own furniture to refinish and then post for sale.

I have more than appreciated everyone that has kept me busy over the past months, all the referrals have been awesome.  It makes me feel so good when people come back over and over to have their own furniture painted.  Or when i learn that i painted their “so and so’s” furniture and it looked great and now they want theirs done and then the cycle continues.

It is beyond awesome that i have solely worked on custom orders for the past 4 months and that has paid the bills.  When times are slower (during the warmer months) – i normally have 1-2 customs per week so i’m still able to get to my own stuff to paint and sale.  When the weather starts cooling and when kids go back to school, i work on 4-6 customs per week, so that leaves zero time for my own pieces.

BUT, the last couple months i have felt super anxious.  I love when people love their old furniture again that i just gave a new life too.   But i so miss the whole process of finding a piece, coming up with a finish and experimenting.  The whole creative process doesn’t happen much when doing customs.  Most people know exactly what they want as far as color and distressing, so that’s what i do.  Very few (i think i’ve had one!) people say “do whatever you want”….so i haven’t really had the opportunity to do much experimenting lately.

……………………..

Anyways – i’m finishing up the last of my customs next week and then i’m on to my own stuff for a while!!  I am super excited as i have a 40 ft connex packed to the brim with furniture waiting for me!  I will go back to customs in a few months, but for now i’m holding off on taking anymore.

My 1st project is this super cute antique vanity complete with a chair and a mirror (not shown as its getting new glass) – i’ve already started working on it, i’m just too excited and i finally feel inspired again!  I feel the process that i love so much coming back!

………………..

Anyways, thanks again if i have painted your furniture!  I really appreciate the business and the referrals.  And thanks everyone for listening to me explain myself, i know i don’t need too, but i just want to let people know where i am coming from (and where my furniture has been!)

15 Responses to {Changes} – no more custom work for a bit

1. Ashley December 7, 2012 at 10:43 am #

We know exactly how you feel at our little shop in MN! We had to quit taking custom orders on furniture for a while too due to the fact that we were neglecting the store and not making any time to do pieces for people to come in and buy! It’s hard to say no but it has to be done! Have fun!!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} December 7, 2012 at 12:09 pm #

i think thats the hardest part – saying no!! Especially for people that you work with a lot…

2. Brandie December 7, 2012 at 11:15 am #

Sausha! You read my mind. I know exactly how you feel!! My business is in Nashville TN and after Thanksgiving I quit doing custom orders for a few weeks, because I needed to get my creativity flowing again and not having “strict guidelines” to stay within. It is important to remember ourselves sometimes and use our artistic brains. Love your work.
    Brandie

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} December 7, 2012 at 12:08 pm #

i knew some people would know where i am coming from!! Plus the pressure of customs, making sure they are exactly what they had in mind is tough sometimes! not to mention the timeline that i put myself on – sometimes things go wrong at the last minute and thats super stressful!!

3. Cheryl E. December 7, 2012 at 12:07 pm #

Good for you!! Love this dresser…. can’t wait to see the finished product!

4. Joy December 7, 2012 at 1:23 pm #

I hope you don’t mind, but I have an “old” baby crib — from the ’70′s — not appropriate for a baby now, but if you know of someone whating to make a bench from an old crib, have them contact me.

Thanks again and I can’t wait to see what is stored in your brain…!

5. Jesse B December 7, 2012 at 1:27 pm #

Good for you for following your heart and gut! There is really something to be said about the creative process and what it can do for your soul! I never intended to make a business out of refinishing pieces…I just did it for myself and then noticed others wanted me to do pieces for them. It was fun to finish the pieces for others and I was completely flattered, but when doing pieces for others, I always felt like something was missing…like I was just going through the motions, ya know? I would try extra hard on those pieces because I wanted the person to LOVE their piece, but it always required so much more energy from me. Now, I am back to finding pieces that speak to me and then fixing them up. If I don’t need them, then I sell them, but it is night and day from custom orders. I am so glad that I am not the only one who feels this way. I think the search for the “diamonds in the rough” and really having a piece speak to me have to be part of the my “process”. It is what makes me happy…what I feel passionate about! Your work is amazing and I cannot wait to see what you do to your finds! ;)

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} December 11, 2012 at 9:36 am #

oy, we could be friends! That is EXACTLY how i feel – to a T!!! By the way, im completely in love with your beams – i even showed them to my husband last night, i would love to do something similar in my upstairs :)

6. Deb Owen December 7, 2012 at 3:35 pm #

I can so relate to this! Good for you for taking some time off. One of these days I should do the same.

7. Heidi December 8, 2012 at 10:09 am #

Glad you found your way back to what you love. I’ve recently purchased a few nice pieces, looking forward to giving them some me time :o)

8. Jackie Shumway December 11, 2012 at 8:37 am #

Love it!

9. Tricia S December 20, 2012 at 6:21 pm #

My sister & I have been getting a ton of requests from people to paint their furniture…thanks for sharing because your experience is exactly what I am afraid of happening. I did get a request to paint a piano the same way we just painted a buffet & hutch (the color is similar to a piano you painted that I keep seeing & pinning on pinterest)…so I think we will do that one. I LOVE what you do. I wish it wasn’t so cold in Chicago…we have to put our painting on hold for the winter since our garages are just too cold to work in (sooo sad!). I will keep checking back to see what you do & get inspired!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} December 28, 2012 at 6:22 pm #

Put a heater in your garage! Thats what i did and now i can work all winter long, it gets cold here in utah too :) But maybe ski the heater if you want to take the winters off!!

10. Tricia S. December 30, 2012 at 9:59 am #

I am considering that. Of course my husband does not like the idea because then the cars are left out. We are going to see how things go in the spring & summer…maybe next winter we will get the garage heated!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} December 30, 2012 at 1:22 pm #

i usually just turn my heater on in the morning about an hour before i go out to work, and then my husbands car is already gone because hes off to work, and i just pull my car out into the driveway if i need more room :)