{Before & After} – Antique Vanity

Hey everyone!!  Its been a while since i’ve posted – sorry!!  I hope everyone had a great Christmas, i am so glad its over!  I’m taking down all the decorations this weekend – cant wait!!  I didn’t even get pics posted of everything after putting it all up – oops!!

Anyways, i just finished up this antique vanity and think it turned out so cute!  I really wish i could keep this one for me or my daughter, but i just don’t have the room.

………………….

Sadly the vanity had been left outside when i found it, but overall it was in pretty good shape besides the top veneer peeling off.  I even found the rest of the original hardware in one of the drawers!  It also came with a mirror frame, the mirror was broken out, but i just had a new one made.

Before…

After…

I painted the vanity with Annie Sloan Chalk paint in Provence, distressed it, glazed it and stained the tops.  The original brass hardware was given a coat of oil rubbed bronze paint as well.

The 411

Paint – Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Provence

Glaze – Sherwood Glaze in Van Dyke Brown – from Sherwin Williams

Stain for tops – Kona by Rustoleum

This sweet vanity is for sale in my shop page!!!

26 Responses to {Before & After} – Antique Vanity

1. Whitney Smith December 28, 2012 at 11:42 am #

Swoon… I love that. And the top is my all time favorite stain color! Love Kona!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} December 28, 2012 at 6:17 pm #

me too! I use Kona all the time! Love the color :)

2. Julie December 28, 2012 at 11:46 am #

Gorgeous!! Now I wish I had room for a vanity :)

3. WEST FURNITURE REVIVAL December 28, 2012 at 1:21 pm #

BEAUTIFUL REMAKE! it turned out gorgeous!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} December 28, 2012 at 6:17 pm #

thanks! Its exactly how i envisioned it before painting it :)

4. JamieK December 28, 2012 at 2:54 pm #

Absolutely Beautiful!!!! Love this!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} December 28, 2012 at 6:16 pm #

thanks so much!! So do i, i wish i could of kept it!!

5. Terry December 28, 2012 at 4:35 pm #

Really nice job…I just adore it!

6. Cathy@My1929Charmer December 28, 2012 at 6:31 pm #

Wow, what a gorgeous piece, I don’t think I could part with it. Such a beautiful color, I could dream about brushing my hair and putting makeup on!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} December 29, 2012 at 12:39 pm #

i know! i had it on my room to take the pics, and i really wanted to keep it!!

7. Tony December 29, 2012 at 5:06 am #

Did you use your HVLP sprayer to paint it?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} December 29, 2012 at 12:38 pm #

yes i did, i really like the way ASCP sprays. It covers well on the 1st coat – i didnt even use primer for this one :)

• Tony December 31, 2012 at 4:59 am #

Did you have to thin it before putting it through your sprayer? Is so, how much? Thank you

8. Monica December 29, 2012 at 10:25 am #

Hey Sausha! Love it! The first time I’ve seen you use chalk paint? Did you wax before glazing? Thanks :)

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} December 29, 2012 at 12:35 pm #

Ya, first thing that i have posted using chalk paint i think…not my favorite paint. But no i didnt wax it or clear coat it, just glazed it :)

9. Holly December 29, 2012 at 6:50 pm #

Did you just lightly sand before your paint and then distress? I have one so similar that I had as a teen and I’m getting ready to re-do it for my daughter. She wants it purple. I may go purple with distressing. Thanks, Holly

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} December 30, 2012 at 9:42 am #

on this one i didnt even light sand before painting. All the shine on the wood was gone anyways, and i knew that after i painted it i would be sanding everything to distress it – so i just skipped the 1st sanding :)

10. Tony December 31, 2012 at 7:38 pm #

Did you have to thin the ASCP before putting it through your sprayer? Is so, how much? Thank you

11. Valerie January 2, 2013 at 12:42 am #

I am so heartbroken that I missed the listing in time! When you posted about it before, I knew I’d want it… Sadly, I missed out.

I hope you’ll continue making items for sale! I love them & am determined to own SOMETHING one day.

PS. I’ve been on the hunt for a vanity forever. And I’m telling you this because…? Not sure. Haha

12. Penny January 2, 2013 at 7:14 am #

Hello love you work : ) and you had mentioned the veneer thing and I have found using a heat gun sometimes helps release the glue by getting it warm not always but sometimes just wanted to share. Keep up the good work your amazing it you ever get a chance check out my stuff let me know what you think I would really value you opinion. Thanks Penny http://www.facebook.com/forgottentreasures2011

13. Brooke German January 5, 2013 at 3:15 pm #

How did you get the stain to give you that blotchy/worn look. Was it intentional? I love how authentic the wear looks on top (and bottom!). This color combo inspired my new bedroom furniture I just finished! Love it!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} January 7, 2013 at 2:00 pm #

yup! i wanted the worn look, like you said, so immediately after i stained the top, i took a rag with mineral spirits and wiped the whole thing down, just concentrating in areas where i wanted more stain to come off. So easy!

14. Niki C March 21, 2013 at 8:52 pm #

Okay, So I’m pretty sure I have this same vanity (It’s in my sleeping daughters room so I can’t check). I just inherited it from my grandma who recently passed away. I have never painted furniture and I don’t dare start on this special item. Can I get a quote based on this vanity to have you re-finish it?
    THANK YOU!

15. Ashley May 20, 2013 at 9:26 am #

Did you use a primer before painting with the chalk paint?

p.s this is beautiful. totally inspired to do this to my vanity. thank you!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} May 20, 2013 at 12:35 pm #

nope, thats the beauty of chalk paint, no primer needed :)