{I’ve got it all figured out…} thinking out loud

For some time now i have been a little stumped with how i want to decorate my upstairs living area.  I thought i had it all good about the time that i filmed my house for the Nate Show – but then after that i wanted to change things up a bit, you know how that is!  So i removed some of my furniture, planked a few walls, added some furniture, painted my walls, changed out my pillows a hundred times – but it still wasn’t feeling the way i wanted it to feel.

Part of my problem is that i really like a lot of styles!  I would look at some pics online and really like the whole neutral, monochromatic thing that they had going on with no color and lots of natural elements.  But i also would really love the pics of neutral walls and painted furniture with pops of color and more of a hodge podge of decor and the collected over time look.

What to do, what to do…

So, i made a decision to go with the monochromatic look.  I bought all neutral pillows for the family room, brought in some neutral furniture that i had, painted the walls, got rid of some colorful things that i had in the main areas and lived with that for a while.

I never took pics of what i had going on, because after living with it for a bit it wasnt me.  Then things got busy again with the basement and everything just kinda stayed the way it was.  Until now.

The other day i brought up an old dresser that we had in the basement that we decided not to use for our bathroom vanity and replaced it where a neutral  tall chest was.  Then i had a quilt that i needed to hang up, but just layed it across the couch instead and it was perfect.  It hit me that i love color and more, i love the hodge podge thrown together look.  So i gathered up some random pillows and put them together on the couch.

I love the neutral furniture with pops of color.  And i super duper love vintagey colorful items, such as my quilts and puff pillow, the old yellow dresser thats been in the fam forever and my favorite ever old green door coffee table.  All of these work together perfectly with my white couches and neutral walls and flooring.

(my growing quilt collection on my old, very tall ladder)

So now i have it all figured out!!  I am going to decorate with color!  I tried the other way, and while i still love the neutral monochromatic look – for my space, right now, the way to go is bring in lots of pieces that i love that have meaning and history and work all those colors and textures into my space.

And my dining room table with be getting a facelift with my new very colorful rug i ordered for under it!!  I actually got it today so i snapped a pic with my phone – its so cute!  It looks like an old granny quilt!  And my little Charley already loves it ;)

(the black is too heavy and i want to swap out the top for something more “farmhouse-natural”)

……………………..

I am super excited that i have things finally going in the direction that i want and have lots of fun projects planned!

28 Responses to {I’ve got it all figured out…} thinking out loud

1. Julie November 14, 2012 at 5:31 pm #

It’s always fun when things start to click, and go in the direction you weren’t quite sure you wanted. I’m still waiting for the click in much of the house…I think my husband got scared when the first one happened in the dining room! (He’s scared of color, poor man).

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} November 14, 2012 at 6:04 pm #

yes! Sometimes it comes so easy and things go exactly as planned, other times not so much!! Have fun convincing your husband that color is good!!

2. Rochelle November 14, 2012 at 5:35 pm #

Amazing. I always love your spaces. When you said you were transforming your space , I didn’t think it could get better, but it did. Good job!

3. Heidi Harding November 14, 2012 at 5:49 pm #

Where did you get that cute rug? I love all of your throw pillows. Your house is one of my favorites!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} November 14, 2012 at 6:05 pm #

thank you!! I just ordered that from Overstock – i was nervous about buying a rug online, but i really like it!

4. Keni Farnwalt November 14, 2012 at 5:57 pm #

I’m like you. I love different styles too but I love pops of color,primitives, pieces of wood or metal. I just picked up a bunch of hand forged barn hinges. They’re now on the wall hanging from a rod in graduated sizes. Then I made a Blacksmith sign to go above them. Weird to some people but I love the fact they were made by someone a long time ago & used. I’ll send you a pic in the email. Thanks for all your ideas!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} November 14, 2012 at 6:07 pm #

I would LOVE to see!! I love old metal things too. I brought home some old pitchforks the other day, my husband couldnt believe i had to pay for them!! As soon as i get them hung i will be sure to post :)

5. Mary Anne November 14, 2012 at 5:57 pm #

I can so see a plate wall in your space. Lots of colors incorporated from old china :) I love the look you’re going for.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} November 14, 2012 at 6:00 pm #

oh, i for sure have something planned along those lines, but it wont be plates – although i love, love, love plate walls!!

• Mary Anne November 14, 2012 at 8:23 pm #

Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

6. april November 14, 2012 at 6:01 pm #

Love it!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} November 14, 2012 at 6:07 pm #

thanks girl!!

7. tabatha stimpson November 14, 2012 at 6:33 pm #

YOU DRIVE ME INSIDE-HOUSE ENVY!!!!!!! if i could duplicate your house…i would. so not lyin’. if i could live next door to ya so i can steal your stuff…i would ;) ha! btw where did you get your table?? ive looked high and low…to no avail….im seriously thinkin of having one made. so not lyin’.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} November 15, 2012 at 9:13 am #

haha, thanks!! I got my table about 6 years ago from Vintage Oak in SLC, UT

• tabatha stimpson November 27, 2012 at 11:41 am #

thx for replying back…fyi…they still have your table and too bad theres snow between oregon and utah cause i’d have me a table by now!!…my hubs should feel so lucky i hate driving in snow ;) anywhoo did i miss this but did you repaint your walls again?!!?? ha ha

8. Heather November 14, 2012 at 6:46 pm #

You know I love everything you do!!!!! Amazing!! I love color too!

9. amy November 14, 2012 at 6:59 pm #

Love, love, love it all!

10. Mindi November 14, 2012 at 7:23 pm #

Good to hear your thoughts, I love all sorts of styles too, still looking to find my groove…not sure if I will ever find it, but maybe someday. I love what you have done and the rug is amazing! I can’t wait to see what else you come up with!

11. Kathy November 14, 2012 at 9:03 pm #

Another winner! You always do a great job. :)

12. Comeca November 15, 2012 at 1:11 am #

Its so comfy sweet! Will your Christmas tree follow the same theme…country sweet? I cant wait to see it. Lovely space.

13. Terry November 15, 2012 at 4:41 am #

I’m like you. I love neutral but it’s not me either. Love the pops of color you have and can even stand a bit more! Happy Thanksgiving!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} November 15, 2012 at 9:12 am #

for sure! Ive got a couple ideas to bring in some more color :)

14. Melissa November 15, 2012 at 7:49 am #

I love everything about this space! Could you tell me the name of that rug? Gorgeous!

15. Jo Ann November 15, 2012 at 8:41 am #

I’m so glad to hear that other people have trouble coming to terms with their style!! When we built our house, brown leather, dark furniture, and wrought-iron were in vogue, and we went with it. I never really liked it, but it was the style available in the stores at the time. My favorite colors have always been blue and white, and I recently decided to just let myself go in that direction. I slipcovered 2 chairs in white and made blue and white throw pillows for them, and it just makes me HAPPY to look at them!! I am gradually re-doing everything with the intent to lighten the colors and make everything more casual. My antique pieces and collections are much more in tune with my new style too.

I love your style and blog!!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} November 15, 2012 at 9:10 am #

Im so happy that you are finally able to incorporate the style/colors that you really love into your space! I hear so much from my friends or my painting clients that there homes are heavy and dark, because dark was what was in a while ago, and they just want everything to be light and bright!! Just take one thing at a time and eventually you will get there – and so will i!!

16. Kim March 28, 2013 at 8:28 am #

Girl I think you and I must have been separated at birth or something. I’m obsessed with color right now, much the same way you are and have been transforming my family room just like you. It’s so much more fun to be surrounded by color don’t you think? Your room makes me smile.
    xoxo,
    Kim

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 28, 2013 at 5:37 pm #

oh for sure! I love all the colors and mismatched fabrics/pillows – makes me happy!