{Antique Dresser turned Bathroom Vanity} – and bathroom sneak peak!!

The last month has been pure craziness around here!!  We have been working non stop in the basement, just trying to get everything done.  Lots of late nights and early mornings.  The kids have been totally neglected and the rest of the house has gone to hell.  I am just ready for all the building and painting to be done so i can get to the fun stuff – furniture and decorating!!

………………………

We have gotten the bathroom about 95% done.  There is still a little trim work, some caulking and a little painting to be finished up and then we can call this bathroom done.

Ive had a vision for this bathroom since we moved in almost 6 years ago, and although we made a few changes to our original plans, it turned out exactly how i wanted it too.

Something i knew that i wanted in there right from the start was an old dresser to be turned into the bathroom vanity.  Ive always loved that look and its so simple to do.  It gives the room so much more character than a “normal” bathroom cabinet.  I would love, love, love to change out all of our bathroom cabinets with an old dresser.

………………………

Somewhere, i have a before pic of this antique dresser, and i will find it for the final bathroom reveal, but for now i just wanted to show how easy it is to transform an old dresser into a custom vanity – its super simple.

1st thing to do is to purchase your sink.  I really wanted a bowl type sink to sit on top of the vanity, but it would have been a little too tall.  But i found this drop in sink @ Home Depot and i really liked the detailing and it was cheap – like $70 cheap.

Sinks come with a template so you can get a perfect circle – all you need to do is cut out the template, and then measure your counter top to get everything lined up perfect.  Then you could either trace the circle with marker or chalk or tape it on and cut around the template.

Then just cut the circle with a jigsaw.  You will need to drill a hole somewhere inside the circle so you will have a place to start the jigsaw blade.  You can just use a large drill bit or hole bit.

I dont have pics of the next step, but after you have dry fit your sink to make sure everything fits, put a little bit of silicone or plumbers putty around the edge and then set your sink.

Install your faucet and then hook up all the plumbing.  We cut out a small square in the back of the dresser so that we can easily access the plumbing.

Then depending on how deep your drawers are, you may have to remove some of the guts of the dresser.  In our case, we had to make the top two and the middle drawers just false drawers.  The bottom drawer is a full drawer.

If you have enough room, you can make your drawers still work by removing the back part of the drawer and moving it up just to make a shallow drawer.  In our case, we didn’t have enough room so we just had to make false drawers.

Lastly, you just need to caulk around your sink, which i haven’t done yet.  And that’s it!  Easy as pie.

………………………..

And a little sneak peak of the bathroom…I am in love with the new tub!

31 Responses to {Antique Dresser turned Bathroom Vanity} – and bathroom sneak peak!!

1. Angie @ Beneath the Magnolias November 5, 2012 at 10:18 am #

Oh my goodness!!!! I love it!! You make it look so easy. Maybe I’ll give this a try. Beautiful!

2. Cheryl E. November 5, 2012 at 10:28 am #

Love, love, love this bathroom. Great idea! So wish I would have done that when we built. Maybe one day…….

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} November 6, 2012 at 7:29 am #

Me too for the rest of our upstairs bathrooms!!

3. Stephanie November 5, 2012 at 11:48 am #

LOVE the dresser for a vanity – I have always loved this look too!!

4. Teresa November 5, 2012 at 12:25 pm #

Love, love LOVE this.

5. Lynne November 5, 2012 at 12:32 pm #

Good job! I’ve been looking for some time to find just the right piece of furniture to do this in our bathroom as well. Only I’m going to need one large enough for two sinks. I know it’s out there somewhere, someday!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} November 6, 2012 at 7:28 am #

I think going with a standard size dresser will be great for two sinks – one day when i can convince my husband to replace our master bath vanity, thats what i will need as well :)

6. Kathy November 5, 2012 at 2:07 pm #

Sausha,
    Turned out wonderful! I did this in my bathroom when I did the remodel! I used a buffet I bought at a sale. Took forever as I needed the right measurement to go between 2 walls. One day I will get brave and post the photos on the website. Bathroom is wonderful like all the projects you do!

7. Vanessa November 5, 2012 at 2:47 pm #

I love what you did in your bathroom.

Vanessa

8. Debra November 5, 2012 at 3:09 pm #

Do you have the step by step on this vanity?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} November 6, 2012 at 7:26 am #

are you meaning the painting part?

9. michele November 5, 2012 at 4:25 pm #

Love your new sink… How pretty is that !!

10. Nicole November 5, 2012 at 4:39 pm #

My husband did one for my cousin and he cut out where the pipes were and boxed the drawer out on each side of the pipe not to lose the drawer space.I love your blog you are very talented and I love love your dresser turned vanity.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} November 6, 2012 at 7:25 am #

Thanks!!

11. Janet Lawson November 5, 2012 at 4:49 pm #

Great dresser..
    It looks awesome in there..

12. Diane November 5, 2012 at 5:08 pm #

I had just pinned a dresser turned bathroom vanity earlier this week. I love this look and thank you so much for your great instructions on how to accomplish it. Yours is beautiful!
    Diane

13. Elissa November 5, 2012 at 8:59 pm #

The bathroom looks so amazing!! Awesome job with the dresser turned bathroom vanity, you furniture genius you! :) Hope you’re doing good!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} November 6, 2012 at 8:02 am #

thanks!! Im good, just super busy right now with everything. How are you doing?!

• Elissa November 7, 2012 at 10:03 am #

Busy is good and bad huh?!? With Halloween behind me and the insane amount of time spent getting my munchkins ready for that day I get to look forward to having the crazy in laws for Thanksgiving! Yippee I might just run away! Glad to see your basement coming along, it looks so good you guys are quite the duo! One of these days Ill come and see you again. Take care!

14. Sondra November 6, 2012 at 6:31 pm #

Love this! I’ve always wanted to do something like that in my bathrooms…..hate those tradition bathroom cabinets. Thanks for sharing!

15. Catherine November 16, 2012 at 4:50 am #

I really like your blog. Thank you for your advice!

16. Marilee November 17, 2012 at 10:02 am #

Did I miss the part where you waterproof the countertop? Or is that necessary?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} November 20, 2012 at 8:19 am #

I hadnt posted the actual painting part of the vanity yet, so nope you didnt miss it. The top was stained and then sealed with about 5 coats of waterbased poly. If its a bathroom that would be getting daily use, i probably would have used some type of marine varnish for the top for an even more durable finish.

17. Janine November 21, 2012 at 2:14 pm #

Hi! What a great concept for a vanity! Also, I am in love with the ceiling light. Would you mind sharing where you got it from? Thanks!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} November 30, 2012 at 8:45 pm #

that one is from lowes – its so pretty in person – it casts light and shadows all over the room!

18. Craig January 21, 2013 at 11:58 am #

What a clever idea! And it looks terrific.

I love, too, that you used a Home Depot sink in the project. In fact, we’ve pinned this blog post to the Bathroom Inspirations board on Home Depot’s Pinterest page.

-Craig, from The Home Depot

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} January 23, 2013 at 7:47 pm #

thanks so much!! I think with this bathroom and putting in our basement bar we kept Home Depot in business that month! We got to know one of the girls there in the WJ, Utah store and she was awesome :) So thank you to Home Depot!!

19. Lisa September 24, 2013 at 10:35 am #

What did you use for a waterproof sealer on top of the vanity?

• Lisa September 24, 2013 at 10:36 am #

oh nevermind…I just saw an older reply to someone that said: hadnt posted the actual painting part of the vanity yet, so nope you didnt miss it. The top was stained and then sealed with about 5 coats of waterbased poly. If its a bathroom that would be getting daily use, i probably would have used some type of marine varnish for the top for an even more durable finish.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Places: Baths with DIY Bathroom Vanities - Home Improvement Blog – The Apron by The Home Depot - June 26, 2013

[...] Image via Sweet Pickins [...]

2. Places: Bathrooms with DIY Vanities | SocialMediaEasyButton.com - The Easy Way To Share Real Estate Content - June 26, 2013

[...] Image via Sweet Pickins [...]