{When things don’t always go as planned}

If you guys follow me on Facebook, you will remember that i was @ an auction one night and had to have this antique cupboard, there is just something about it that i LOVE!!  Well, i had to bid against one another guy, but in the end i got it – i was so happy because i have the perfect spot…so i thought.

Remember when i planked my kitchen?  Well i also planked my entry and when i did i took down my curtain rod (that you can see here) so i could change things up a bit.  My plan from the second i saw the cupboard was to put it above my entry dresser.  The cupboard has been sitting around for quite a while now and finally the other day i made Santi help me get it up.  As soon as we turned it right side up and got it on the dresser, i hated it!!!

I propped it up on some bowls to see how it will look when its actually hung on the wall, but its yucky.  Not what i envisioned, at all.  Big fat sad face.

Its all happy and fun when things that you envision end up working out perfectly, but more often lately im finding that when i finally get something in a space where i pictured it going, its not working…i hate it when that happens and its happening a lot around here lately!

So, i thought i will scrap that idea for there and came up with a plan to use it somewhere else, but things in that room have changed (downstairs bathroom) and i cant use it there either.  Big ol’ bummer.

I REALLY need to make this work because there is not one other spot where i can use it, so im thinking of sanding down to bare wood so i can stain it (i would like to bring in some more natural wood tones), adding some chunky crown molding and some antique corbels to beef it up a little.  And after thats done, it better be perfect for that space!!!  I may also need to paint the dresser as well.

…………………………….

I think so many of us think that when we see other peoples spaces that we like, that things just worked out perfectly and its all laa dee da, but more times then not, it takes some work, rethinking things and lots of tweaking to get things just right!

Thats all!!!

28 Responses to {When things don’t always go as planned}

1. Tanya October 24, 2012 at 2:56 pm #

wall paper the inside, maybe put a panel trim/strip down the window too, so it looks more like the cabinets below it. Maybe don’t set it up higher, just on top of the cabinet and add height to the top with ‘junk’ instead. I see your interest there and can relate to the “I love it’ then “I hate it” . Hope to see it work for you. Where are you located?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} October 25, 2012 at 8:42 am #

I for sure think that something fun for the inside would be cute!

2. Tanya October 24, 2012 at 2:58 pm #

or leave it upside down! with corbels under it.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} October 25, 2012 at 8:39 am #

it does look really cute upside down :)

3. Sandra Licher October 24, 2012 at 5:11 pm #

You are so right but the odds are in your favor! You have so many successful ones. I love the plank walls….how did I miss that posting? So many blogs….so little time! LOL!
    You still inspire me!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} October 25, 2012 at 8:43 am #

thanks!! And yes – i love the plank walls too!!

4. Shawna October 24, 2012 at 7:25 pm #

I think you should sand it and stain it and put it on the planked wall about that cupboard in the kitchen. The contrast of the stained wood with all the white will look good and once it has shelves and dishes in it it is going to look great. I am envious. I want that cabinet and shelf!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} October 25, 2012 at 8:45 am #

I already have a little blue hutch in my kitchen filled with dishes that i love, so there is no where else that it can go in the kitchen – but that would be cute though!

5. Valerie Cronin October 24, 2012 at 8:52 pm #

I thought I was the only person that had that problem! I bought a curved leg table about a month ago thinking I had the perfect spot for it in my house and then I got it home & found that the scale was all wrong! I’m sure you’ll figure it out!

6. Mary October 25, 2012 at 3:15 am #

I like your ideas for “re-doing” it…however, when I saw the first posting of the antique I liked it right away…then I saw how you mean to “hang it”…and I said to myself…I think I would hang it upside down (if that is an option). It just looks better to me upside down.

If it goes in the kitchen the little slots/bins which would end up on top could be for kitchen linens.

I know whatever you do to it…it will work out fine.

7. JoAnne October 25, 2012 at 8:19 am #

Hi – Just wondering what it is that you don’t like about it? I like your idea of staining it and adding corbels. Perhaps lining the edge of the 2 pieces up rather than on centre would work for you. That may leave suffiecient space for open shelving or some statment art on the side.
    Love all your work – you definitely win more than you lose :)

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} October 25, 2012 at 8:38 am #

thanks!!

I dont know what it is really? Part of it is, that my ceilings are so tall and the cabinet just looks out of proportion, i think that adding the crown and corbels will really help it to be more substantial looking. And i was considering placing it off center when its done – that way i can do something on the wall like you said or still have room for a lamp or something :)

8. Mindi October 25, 2012 at 8:45 am #

I like the crown and corbels idea a lot. I also like it upside down a lot too. In the first picture I thought that was how it was supposed to be. It would look great stained! Can’t wait to see what you do with it….loving the planked wall in your entry.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} October 25, 2012 at 8:47 am #

i know, its super cute upside down too! It could really go either way if i left it alone. But if i add the crown, it needs to be right side up :)

9. Chelsea October 25, 2012 at 9:24 am #

I think it looks so cute there! …but of course it’s not my home! You’re so right about seeing other people’s gorgeous homes and thinking they got that way effortlessly. I should know better! I’m constantly changing things around! I can’t wait to follow where that sweet cupboard goes next :)
    ~Chelsea

10. tracy_a October 25, 2012 at 7:25 pm #

Neat piece! I think I would try to make it wider (if you are going to add crown anyway) – a shelf on either side. Maybe a corner shelf (curved or slanted back to the wall) Also – mullions in the glass might be fun – a single vertical one to sort of complement the panels in the cabinet below.

11. Friend October 25, 2012 at 7:52 pm #

First, Try to Hang it higher, just a bit. Off set it with two large vases of either end if you have to have it symetrical.
    Second, Try to off set it and put something taller on the side. I see a lantern on the floor. I think you have to find the best spacing and balance befor you diecide the color and finish.
    I bought an beautiful buffet, however the seller gave me the wrong dimensions and it is 8 inches too long for my space. That is something to hate, you can work with what you have. You’ll make it work, i know you will! : )

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} November 6, 2012 at 7:54 am #

for sure it needs to be higher, i just grabbed those bowls to get a visual and it was the only thing i had two of close that were the same size! And yes, i will make it work!! :)

12. Lawrence October 26, 2012 at 2:33 am #

I love the way you turned it upside down. Brilliant idea and handy for your kitchen utensils. :)

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} November 6, 2012 at 7:51 am #

thats actually right side up! And it would be good for the kitchen, but where its going is not close to our kitchen :)

13. Nancy October 26, 2012 at 7:58 pm #

I think you should hang it on the wall above the dresser!

14. erin October 29, 2012 at 12:05 pm #

Who’s to say that the cabinet has to be centered on the entry dresser?
    What If you lined up the left edge of the cabinet above the left edge of the entry dresser and then filled in the spot on the right side of the dresser with a great vase and tall sprigs of something to bring in color?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} November 6, 2012 at 7:36 am #

i agree! I think once i get it redone and ready to put back up again – i will see what works best :)

15. Karen October 29, 2012 at 12:10 pm #

Like your ideas about the crown and corbels, but think it really needs to be higher on the wall (more like the height of wall kitchen cabinets. Right now it is too stumpy!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} November 6, 2012 at 7:35 am #

oh for sure, i just needed to get a little visual of what it would look like hanging up off the cabinet and the 2 bowls were the only thing i could find close that were the same size to prop it on!

16. Perth Timber Flooring November 2, 2012 at 5:08 am #

Thanks for provide the good information about new and old furniture its really awesome .Thank you so much !!

17. Angela November 9, 2012 at 2:39 pm #

don’t you love everyone unsolicited advice?! :)
    How about adding enclosed shelving down each side that come all the way down onto the countertop. You could even put little “garage doors” to hide small appliances or junk!
    you could totally make it look “built-in” and more substantial. You loved this piece for a reason, don’t give up yet! :) you could even paint it an accent color for pop!
    I LOVE your style!!!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} November 20, 2012 at 8:25 am #

thanks and yes i do!! ;)

The building it all the way down is a good idea if it was in a kitchen or a space that i needed to hide junk, because i do have lots of junk to hide!! But its in my entry way, so i need to keep it clean :)

Ive picked out my color for it though and ready to get started working on it!!