{Before & After} – Antique Dresser

I finished up this antique dresser a couple months ago and just came across it while going through some pics.  Its a really cute smaller dresser that can work in so many spaces – dressers arent just for bedrooms anymore!

When my client came in to the shop to drop off some of her own furniture for me to paint, she saw this dresser (in its unfinished state) and knew it would work for her space.  While she was there, she also this dresser that i was working on for someone else painted in a fun green.  She decided that she wanted the antique dresser painted green as well, and it turned out so cute!  I love these fun colors for traditional furniture – it just makes me happy.

Before…

I loved all the original hardware, but sadly it was missing one knob.  I ended up using the originals for the bottom 2 drawers and then the top i replaced with 2 glass knobs.  The originals got a coat of oil rubbed bronze spray paint for a little update.

After…I didnt get the best pics of this dresser so they are kinda blurry, i was in a hurry

The 411

Paint – Sherwin Williams in Dill (satin)

Clear coat – Sherwin Williams Wood Classics in gloss

Hardware – 2 bottom drawers are original with oil rubbed bronze spray paint, top drawer – glass knobs from hobby lobby

Distressing technique – cabinet scrapers (talked about here)

Post on Headboard turned Coatrack (above the dresser) can be seen here

……………

So cute huh?!?  I love the fun color!!

18 Responses to {Before & After} – Antique Dresser

1. Linda@Coastal Charm September 10, 2012 at 11:51 am #

Now, I love this color, and still loving that darling headboard rack. Hope to see ya at my party today:)

Blessings,
    Linda

2. Camilla September 10, 2012 at 11:52 am #

Still loving that Green!!

3. Ann Marie @ Twice Lovely September 10, 2012 at 12:10 pm #

Just did a dresser in a VERY similar green. I’ll be posting it today, so check it out! :) Yours looks great! Great minds think alike. ;)

4. Korrie@RedHenHome September 10, 2012 at 12:11 pm #

Oh, the color is delightful! I need to be braver about color!

5. April September 10, 2012 at 12:14 pm #

LOVE! did you have to prime this piece? And did you just clear wax and no dark wax or stain? I wanna try this color!

6. kkryno September 10, 2012 at 12:47 pm #

I love this! I have a couple of pieces that could be transformed. You’ve really given me some inspiration! :)

7. Kristi September 10, 2012 at 6:35 pm #

Oooh, I LOVE that color! We just bought a similar dresser to use in the kitchen as a coffee station. It has similar hardware, and is even missing one of the pulls. I’m still trying to decide what color I want to use on it. My dad is begging us not to paint it. He doesn’t get the craze of painting old furniture. I told him he could buy it from us for twice what we paid and he could keep it any way he wanted. ha ha

8. Katie from Crane Farms September 11, 2012 at 6:19 am #

LOVE this green! I’ve read that you use a sprayer for your furniture? Is that correct? Do you have any suggestions for using a brush and minimalizing brush lines?

9. Sheila September 11, 2012 at 10:37 am #

Beautiful~ Love the color!

10. Margaret Kraisinger September 15, 2012 at 7:39 pm #

The next time you are missing a knob on one of your projects, contact me.
    I deal in old, original, authenic hardware and could probably help you.
    Many of my customers are also talented and do repurposing.
    Oh, and I do like the dresser.

Margaret,
    owner of The Old Hardware Store
    Kansas

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} October 2, 2012 at 8:28 pm #

good to know, thanks!!

11. Christa @Stories of a House September 17, 2012 at 2:48 pm #

This is gorgeous!!! I absolutely love the color and am pinning this. I did a dresser exactly like this for a girls baby nursery a couple years ago. Classic!!!

12. Brooke Neal September 24, 2012 at 6:58 am #

I check in every once in a while and LOVE the re purposed headboard. I am an apron wearer and have amassed quite a collection–I love the idea of hanging this in the kitchen for my aprons, great idea.

Have you ever considered hosting a distressing class in your studio? I live in Germany, so my time in the USA is precious, but I would totally pay for a session with you, just so I can see exactly how you work the wood, what products you use etc. Yes, I know I can read up online, but tutorials with an actual person with a real piece of furniture is better.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} October 2, 2012 at 7:59 pm #

They would be perfect for aprons!!

I may do a class one day in the future, but for right now its not in the plans :)

13. La Verne September 27, 2012 at 1:45 pm #

Where are you? So totally miss your creativity, wit and spunk. Hope nothing is wrong. Will shoot a prayer your way, just in case.

I am currently turning my garage into a studio to turn out furniture and more. A layoff and medical necessity means that to eat I have to work from home in a non-traditional sense. You are certainly my role model in doing that. I saw a quote that said, “she decided to live
    the life she imagined”, so I’d rather think of it as I made the choice, the choice didn’t make me.

Hope you come back soon, and are well and whole.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} October 2, 2012 at 8:36 pm #

Thanks so much for checking in on me!!

I have actually been doing the same thing as you – i rented a shop space for the last year but decided to come back home to work so i have been turning the garage back into a “shop”. With all the custom orders, the move and with working in our house, life has been crazy the last month which has left no time for blogging…but i am trying to get back into a routine and get back to doing some posts….i miss it!!

14. La Verne October 3, 2012 at 2:34 pm #

Sausha,

I don’t know you except through your art and your blogging, but I love you. You have the true heart of a mother and a nurturer. I knew something was not right. You couldn’t go on at that frenetic pace without something giving. It takes a wise woman to sacrifice her art for her heart.

I wrote a prayer for a friend once, and I’ll share it with you because I think it fits. You are experiencing loss and gain at the same time…..

“Thank you, God, for this warm, comfortable and safe bed, where I can lay my head, and my worries at your feet. I thank you for a strong body and a good mind, steady work and the ability to always land on my feet. Thank you for my children; help them find their way, and be creative and loving and grateful for all they have. And, if they ever are wanting; the courage and humility to find it. Give me a night of peaceful sleep, and when I wake, a new vision for my future. Take away the gloom that clouds my way and make me thankful for each person that enters my life, either to learn from, or to teach. Help me to start simply in your shadow, and let me feel the rays of hope and renewed spirit. Amen. Happy will come…”

You are a wonder. Keep well and stay real.

La Verne

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. {Before & After} – Antique Dresser | Sweet Pickins Furniture | Unique Vintage Collectibles and Antiques - September 10, 2012

[...] This is only an excerpt, if you need more info, read here: [...]