{Teal Dresser} – before & after

I PROMISE i am working and the answers from the “Ask Me Anything” post – there are so may questions and i am def going to have to break it down in a couple of posts!

……………….

Until then, i just wanted to show a cute dresser that i finished up this week.  I painted it the same color that i did on the last piano i finished (see post here) – im really loving this color!  Its that perfect blue with a little green in it – i LOVE it so ;)

Before –  solid dresser with good bones, i love the curved front on this one and the small detail trim around the drawers.  The hardware was dated though, so i filled in all the hardware holes and replaced them with white knobs.

After…

The 411

Primer – Sherwin Williams multi purpose primer tinted to a dark brown

Paint – Glidden  Deepest Aqua

Glaze – Sherwin Williams oil based glaze in Van Dyke Brown, see glazing process here

Top Coat – Sherwin Williams Wood Classics poly in a gloss

Knobs – Hobby Lobby

Distressing Technique – cabinet scrapers, i posted about those here

Paint Gun – Graco 7.0, i posted about that here

…………………

And i just listed this dresser in the Sweet Pickins Shop!!

12 Responses to {Teal Dresser} – before & after

1. Kathryn August 17, 2012 at 10:31 pm #

o I love this and I know it will sell and sell fast…hope as fast as my miss moody blues sold in one hour….would love to see someone else do this …but just give me a little credit for the suggestion….another dresser kinda like this one,then paint in a Ombre’ effect ..each drawer is a tone different. I used Valspar paint pots. I picked them up a Lowes and price was great.
    Their are so many cool colors out their….I picked up some of their paint chips…and they made up these pots for me…I love your paint projects and the piano is really wonderful…

2. Wandaful Wonders August 18, 2012 at 7:36 pm #

I love the transformation! Great Job! Wanda

3. Denise August 19, 2012 at 11:03 am #

Hi Sausha.

I have a question for you. I’ve been looking through your website, and I see that you use a Graco 7.0 and that you usually use one of the Sherwin Williams primers. My question is: do you apply the primer with your sprayer or do you use a brush? If you use the sprayer, did you spray the primer when you used your gravity feed gun and compressor? That’s what I use, and I’m having a devil of a time figuring out how to apply primer. The oil based primers are too thick to go through my gun. And the water-based ones don’t block stains from coming up through my white pieces. Any help and/or advice would be wonderful.

Denise from Texas

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} September 6, 2012 at 2:30 pm #

yes, i always spray my primer. If i know something is going to have bleed through, then i will used an oil based primer through my gun, you just have to thin it down 1st with lacquer thinner or mineral spirits – and just make sure to clean your gun really well afterwards with lacquer thinner :)

4. Audra August 21, 2012 at 8:11 pm #

This piece looks amazing! Love the color choice. Also loving that barn wood behind the dresser :)

5. Denise August 21, 2012 at 8:33 pm #

Hi Sausha.
    Do you apply your primer with a sprayer or a brush? If you use your sprayer, did you apply it via sprayer back when you used a gravity feed gun and compressor?

Thanks,
    Denise from Texas

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} September 6, 2012 at 2:24 pm #

yes, ive always sprayed the primer, i have never brushed/rolled it on. Water based primer is not much different than paint – you may have to thin it a little more, but it sprays well!

6. Hillary August 31, 2012 at 9:11 am #

Hey, Sausha. My Sherwin-Williams says they can only tint their primer to tan — they say b/c it starts out white, they can’t get it to dark brown. How dark does your store get your primer and is there a trick? A password I need to know? :)

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} September 6, 2012 at 2:17 pm #

im gonna answer this question in tonights post!

7. http://www.kitchensbespoke.org.uk/ October 24, 2012 at 12:17 pm #

The transformation looks better now. Sometimes our furniture needed this specially those antique furniture to give it new look. As years goes by our furniture got some scratches and faded color that make it looks dull.

8. alexis marie April 9, 2013 at 9:37 pm #

I love this!! Do you know what the name to this collection of furniture is called by any chance? I have a nearly complete set from my childhood. Dresser, mirror, nightstand, etc. Vintage and durable, the exact same style. Looking for a Queen sized headboard to complete. Your work is incredible! Please contact me if you know! Thanks!

alexis marie