{Paint me a Piano} – before & after

Its piano week here @ Sweet Pickins – ive done 2 pianos this week and have some more in the works.  And i learned that i LOVE to paint pianos!  I love the taking apart and putting back together process the best – its kinda like a puzzle and i love me some puzzles!

If you missed my 1st piano re-do, check out this post.  Since then i have been looking for my own piano and have only looked for an upright piano with lots of details, but after finishing this one up, i think that this style is also super cute and can fit in most styles of decor.  It can either go more modern or can def be shabbied up – so i might have to consider this style as well for my future piano.

……………………

Anyways, here is the before…boring orangeish oak…blah…nice piano, but def boring

And the after….OH YA!!  Now thats a statement piece!!!  In real life the color is a little more toned down, but its still a fun, bright color.

My client actually brought me in a post it note that was the perfect color, so i had it color matched by Sherwin Williams and this is the formula…this is in the sample quarts that they sell if you want to get some.

Since this piano is so simple, we went for lighter distressing, i just hit the edges to give it a little more dimension.

I followed the same basic steps on this piano re-do that i did on my last one.  It does have to come all apart to be sprayed properly, but its not hard and is def worth taking apart rather than trying to tape off.

………………………..

What do you think?!  I know painted pianos arent for everyone, thats for sure!  But when i find me the perfect piano i will for sure be painting it so i can enjoy it even more – because who knows when i will actually find the time to learn to play one, so it might as well look good in the meantime!!

I will be back in a couple days with another awesome painted piano – and im still working on my “Ask Me Anything Questions” – so check back soon!

16 Responses to {Paint me a Piano} – before & after

1. Gwen August 4, 2012 at 3:48 am #

AWESOME! Love the color!!

2. PJ August 4, 2012 at 5:15 am #

Oh I love this, in our forever home there will be a piano because my husband is a wonderful musician. Whether I will be able to convince him to allow me to paint it is another story… but I’ll probably still try.

3. Shelley August 4, 2012 at 5:53 am #

It looks great! That really is the perfect turquoise. I painted my grandmother’s orangish yellow piano a few months ago. Sooooo glad I did!

4. Patti August 4, 2012 at 9:41 am #

Love all of your stuff. What type of spray gun do you use?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} August 5, 2012 at 5:35 pm #

I use a Graco 7.0 HVLP sprayer- love it!!

5. Deb August 4, 2012 at 10:35 am #

Fantastic! I am in love with the color!!!

6. Tiffany August 4, 2012 at 11:54 am #

I love painted pianos! I do wonder, however, if we will all regret painting our pianos 10-15 years from now. :) I think if I were to paint mine I would go for something more classic like white? I dont know though, the bright colors are so fun!

7. Sarah August 4, 2012 at 12:14 pm #

Oh I just love it!! one day I’ll get the guts to do mine! (and figure out the perfect color!)

8. Connie August 4, 2012 at 3:05 pm #

Wow!!! that is amazingly beautiful . . . not an easy task to take on, Bravo!
    Your blogging sister, Connie :)

9. Christa @Stories of a House August 5, 2012 at 9:02 am #

Wow, wow, wow!! I absolutely LOVE it!

10. m @ random musings August 5, 2012 at 10:03 am #

Let me first say that I think the paint job you’ve done is absolutely.gorgeous. I like how you took the time to do it thoroughly by taking everything apart. I love especially the idea that someone who may have thought [playing] piano == boring now may try the vibrantly colored piano and discover joy of music. I love that painting a piano may turn an unused piece of furniture (potentially destined for a dump) into a hub for fun and good memories.

But…. the musician in me cringes a little bit every time I see a painted piano. Because part of the tone of any musical instrument is due to the finish applied [it affects how the vibrations are transmitted to surrounding air]. A brilliant musician will probably sound brilliant regardless of the instrument quality. Most musicians are not that brilliant – especially when starting out – and an instrument with poor sound quality will affect performance quality negatively. As a young/new musician improves in quality, the instrument quality may limit the ability to hear these improvements and either discourage progress and/or encourage unusual compensatory habits. So as a warning to anyone with a piano they love the sound of: **repainting a piano changes its tone**. It may change the tone from silence to beautiful music; the change may be more subtle [possibly negative]. But it will change the tone.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} August 5, 2012 at 5:37 pm #

Well said!!!

11. DeAnna August 5, 2012 at 12:20 pm #

Wow!! That looks awesome! I have a grand piano that desperately needs a re-do but I never considered painting it. It would be a huge task, not sure where I would start but maybe someday I will be confident enough to take it on! That piano is gorgeous!

12. Tristin August 8, 2012 at 10:19 am #

I absolutely love it! Amazing color choice! I’m in the process of redoing a piano right now which is how I came across your blog, which I absolutely LOVE! I’m actually painting mine with chalkboard paint and a jade blue! I can’t wait to see how it turns out! But oh my goodness, is it a task! I feel just like you did, I’m doing my first one and it makes me want to keep at it! It’s by far my favorite piece I’ve done so far!

Anyway, I did want to ask if you painted the back of yours. I’m having trouble getting the back part completely covered because I can’t reach it all. I don’t have a spray gun so that could be the problem. I was just wondering if you have any tips because I could definitely use them!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} August 13, 2012 at 9:09 pm #

nope, i didnt paint the back of mine. Its unfinished wood anyways and no one is gonna see it!!

13. Sam M. | Atkinson Drive August 10, 2012 at 6:17 am #

It’s BEAUTIFUL! I have been dying to paint a piano for ages. We have one, but it’s not an ugly wood tone, it has a beautiful shiny black finish and I can’t bring myself to paint it. Unfortunately, we can’t fit two pianos in our house…maybe one day! I guess for now I’ll just have to keep checking out your beautiful piano re-vamps. *sigh*