{Another Painted Piano} – before & after

Phewww – i am back!!  No that its unusual for me to go a week or two without posting, but this time it wasnt my fault!  My computer bit the dust – uggghhhh!  But i got a new laptop and i am back up and going!

………………..

I finished up the most awesome piano last week – i am in love!!  I decided its the exact type of piano that i want to get for myself.  The color that my client chose was perfection – ive already painted a dresser that color and i cant wait to use it again.

So here is the before…pretty, yes but it was looking a little shabby and def needed freshening up.  The details were really pretty and stood out so much more after a coat of paint/glaze.

And i didnt get a close up pic, but the old finish had crackled giving it an alligator skin look – i always love when i come across a piece like that.  I never try and sand off the old finish, just use it to my advantage – it looks awesome when its glazed.  Its add lots of texture and gives it that authentic worn/antiqued look.

And the after…ooo laaaa laaaaa…..i LOVE it!!!

Some more pretty pics…

The 411

To see how i prepped the piano for paint – see this post on the 1st piano i did, i basically did the same thing here.  Lots of work taking it apart to paint, but i think its a must to get a good paint job!

Primer – Sherwin Williams adhesion primer tinted the same color as the paint.

Paint – Glidden Deepest Aqua

Glaze – Sherwin Williams Van Dyke brown oil based glaze

Clear coat – Sherwin Williams Wood Classics water based poly in a gloss

………………..

To see more painted pianos, go here and here!

17 Responses to {Another Painted Piano} – before & after

1. Korrie@RedHenHome August 13, 2012 at 8:15 pm #

GORGEOUS color! Great work.

2. Gail August 14, 2012 at 12:12 am #

I love the Piano – do you use a spray gun to paint or a brush – you get such a quality finish

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} August 17, 2012 at 8:39 pm #

i use a spray gun – a graco 7.0

3. Carrie Weeks August 14, 2012 at 5:44 am #

Beautiful color. That piano has great detail!

4. Ashley Clark August 14, 2012 at 7:40 am #

LOVE seeing the the after!! It looks Fabulous!!

5. Christa @Stories of a House August 14, 2012 at 5:17 pm #

Gorgeous!!!!

6. Jeanne August 14, 2012 at 9:23 pm #

Major piano envy! Beautiful!

7. Bloomin' Crazy- Joni Holland August 15, 2012 at 7:58 am #

I LOVE your work. Please fly out to California and paint my piano!!!!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} August 17, 2012 at 8:35 pm #

I would love too!!

8. kimberly August 15, 2012 at 7:51 pm #

This is awesome. How much do you charge to refinish a piano? It is one thing that I am scared to take on and would love to have your expertise.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} August 17, 2012 at 8:35 pm #

it just depends on the size, the work that needs to be put in it, if a glaze is wanted. If you would like a quote on a refinishing just send me an email :)

9. Sarah September 17, 2012 at 9:40 am #

How much paint did you use? I am thinking of tackling this myself but have no idea how much paint to buy!

10. Madelaine September 26, 2012 at 6:24 am #

I don’t know why you did this. That piano was gorgeous as it was. Now it is just a painted piano. Nothing special about it at all.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} October 2, 2012 at 7:56 pm #

I did it because thats what the client wanted and i think its awesome! Although it was pretty before, its even prettier now! But thats the beauty of this world – we are all entitled to our own opinions :)

11. Christina February 24, 2013 at 3:01 pm #

Help! I’ve been painting furniture for awhile but had never used a poly clear coat before. I had a buffet that I had just painted & distressed but when I tried to put the clear coat on I was left with a really uneven splotchy look. I got the sw water based poly like you suggested the only difference I know of is I got it in a satin finish & I applied it with a cabinet roller. Do you know what went wrong? And more importantly how can I fix it? I’d like to save the piece without sanding and starting over entirely…

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} February 24, 2013 at 9:22 pm #

how is it now that its dried? Ive never had that problem…what color did you use it over?

12. Christina February 25, 2013 at 8:21 am #

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! It looks the same…still really splotchy. The color underneath is black. What do you think I should do?