{Before & After} – refinished armoire

1st!!  – THANKS SO MUCH for all the awesome and sweet comments on my last post on “Keeping it Real”!!  Im glad i wrote it and made some of you feel better!  I know it made me feel better, and then i was motivated by your comments so it all worked out great!  So thank you to all of you!!  And i was able to cross a few things off my TO DO list this last week including my plank wall in the entry way and my  newly painted kitchen cabinets – i will be sure to post those soon!

………………………….

But i do have a quick before & after to show and i love this one!  I loved this one from the second i got it and knew it would be super cute all painted up!   And, i knew right away that this one needed a two-tone thing goin’ on to highlight all those curvy details!

Before…blah 70’s style armoire…BUT, a heavy duty solid piece of furniture in awesome shape and super cute girly details – love it!

The whole thing got a light sand and a good cleaning.  I was worried that the old stain would bleed through my paint, so i primed it with SW shellac based primer in white.  Next I painted the entire armoire (except the inside drawers) in SW Quietude (mixed @ 50 %).  Then i just painted by hand some of the details of the armoire with SW Dover White.

Next up, i distressed the entire armoire using a cabinet scraper – i talked about that technique  here.  After that was done, i glazed everything and clear coated it.  The inside was left unglazed.  I talked about one of my ways that i glaze here, but this time i just used SW glaze thats all pre-mixed – i love that stuff!!

And after…isnt it cute?!!  How perfect would this be in a little girls room?

On this one, i just left all the original hardware on and painted it right along with the rest of the armoire.

Check out in this last pics how much the glaze changes the color…brown glaze will turn blue paint greenish – so make sure that you do a test section on your project 1st before rubbing glaze everywhere!!  (inside painted the same colors and left unglazed)

the 411

Primer – SW shellac based primed in white (i used this as i was worried that the old brown stain would bleed through my light colored paint)

Paint – SW Quietude mixed with white to lighten the color (50/50 ratio)

White detail color – SW Dover White

Distressing technique – cabinet scrapers, post found here

Glaze  – SW oil based glaze in Van Dyke Brown.  Post on glazing can be found here

Clear Coat – SW Wood Classics water based poly in gloss

Hardware – original

…………………………

Love it?!  I do!!  Its not a style that im normally drawn too – but it was a fun project and i loved the two-tone paint on this one, i think it worked out perfectly.  Cant wait to do more like it in the future!!

25 Responses to {Before & After} – refinished armoire

1. Cynthia July 9, 2012 at 11:53 pm #

It reminds me of that Amoire character in “Beauty and the Beast”- I am waiting for it to start singing and dancing!

Love the way it turned out and the colors (my bedroom is SW Quietude…)

2. Anneke {thisthatandlife} July 10, 2012 at 12:53 am #

This is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!! I am seriously swooning over this!!!

3. Heather H. July 10, 2012 at 4:43 am #

that is so pretty! and it it amazing how much the glaze changes the color of the paint.

4. Heather July 10, 2012 at 5:40 am #

love love love that. i’m not one for super girly either, but it’s sooooo pretty! great job!

5. Lindsay at Life of Splendor July 10, 2012 at 7:15 am #

This looks beautiful!!! I love how it turned out :)

6. Deb Owen July 10, 2012 at 7:55 am #

What a gorgeous piece! I think it turned out spectacular and I really love how that glaze looks on the outside. I’ve never used the SW brand and may have to try it next time. That is one special piece!

7. Colette July 10, 2012 at 9:41 am #

Love. Purely and simply. Amazing attention to detail, Sausha!

8. Michelle July 10, 2012 at 10:31 am #

My mother has this whole bedroom suite. It is very old. It really looks good with the paint! I’ll have to show her! Thanks for sharing!!

9. sheila July 10, 2012 at 1:16 pm #

so, is it for sale?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} July 12, 2012 at 7:51 pm #

it actually already sold a couple weeks ago!

10. Elissa July 10, 2012 at 3:50 pm #

Love this, again you’re amazing! It turned out so pretty!

11. Janet Lawson July 10, 2012 at 5:31 pm #

Beautiful and I love the color..
    Can’t wait to see your kitchen cabinets and wall you finished..

12. Sue July 10, 2012 at 9:00 pm #

It looks so great now, the transformation is almost magical. The contrast between the outside and inside is also great-you have such a great eye.
    Went to look at your last post and I think your house is beautiful even with all the “flaws”.

13. Jen July 11, 2012 at 4:48 am #

Absolutely gorgeous! I love what you did with this.

14. Shelly Andrade July 11, 2012 at 5:21 am #

Great transformation! You’re great with a brush and the glazing is awesome. I never would have imagined you used SW’s products on this. I can’t handle all those chemicals and toxins, they made me so sick so I’ve switched over to all green products. I’m sure you’ve got better ventilation than I have here, regardless ~ your transformation looks AHmazing!! Can’t wait to see your kitchen cabinets; I’ve got both bathrooms on my “to do” list ~ and if you saw the state of my house, you’d feel much better about yours ~ just sayin:) Take care, Shelly

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} July 12, 2012 at 7:50 pm #

hi Shelly!! i dont mind SW products, the primer smells pretty nasty, but other than that i havent had any issues, and i do have good ventilation. I am the worst blog commenter ever, but i love your furniture pieces – you do an awesome job!! i visit your site often :)

15. heidi caminiti July 11, 2012 at 1:06 pm #

Oh my word, too stinking CUTE! Love it! I am sure that if it isn’t gone already, it will be soon! You do amazing work!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Paula S. July 12, 2012 at 10:51 am #

Wow!!!! I love it! Absolutely gorgeous!!!! I am curious how long it takes you to do all of these steps. What a beautiful finish!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} July 12, 2012 at 7:22 pm #

thanks!! I can do a start to finish on a piece like this in maybe 3-4 hours – its the glazing that takes the longest, that one probably took about 2 hours to glaze it.

• Paula S. July 17, 2012 at 12:29 pm #

Well, I would have guessed it was longer than that! You do beautiful work. I wish I could have you do an old secretary I inherited. Alas, too far away. :(

17. Mary July 12, 2012 at 12:46 pm #

What an amazing piece. My son and I are about to start our own furniture refinishing business. We are so excited…. After seeing your stuff I am so excited to start selling our pieces…. Wish we were neighbors I would love to have a cup of coffee and great conversation with you….

18. Sondra July 12, 2012 at 7:53 pm #

I love this piece.I love the way you can see potential in “ugly” stuff. When I show my husband something like that he just looks at me like I’m crazy…lol. Thanks so much for your inspiration! I’ve just begun painting furniture and your site is so helpful. I love the pieces that you do. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us. I am a fan and am continuing to learn from you! Wish I lived closer so I could actually come to your shop and see in person the beautiful pieces you do.

19. Diane Hinnant July 17, 2012 at 8:21 am #

This is such a beautiful piece! I have a pretty cherry finish armoire (Queen Anne highboy style with two lower drawers and very ornate carvings on the ball and claw legs) that I am so ready to paint … but have been so afraid to tackle! All my friends say I am crazy to even think about it, but this just may have given me the courage I need. Figure the “best way to eat this elephant is one bite at a time,” and you have given great instructions. I just discovered your site and am so amazed by your talent (as I’ve said on three Pinterest posts this morning!). Thank you so very much for the inspiration.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} July 19, 2012 at 7:51 pm #

do it, do it!!!

20. susano July 25, 2013 at 10:20 pm #

Wow, Sausha, you took that from hideous to Paris Apartment oulala!!! An amazing transformation. I especially like that’s it only mildly distressed. Little girl’s room, heck! That could go in a chic living room. WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!