{Before & After} – 70’s dresser = TV console

Ive got another awesome 70’s dresser turned TV console today – i LOVE doing these!!

…………………….

This of course is the before pic – but i forgot to get one with the cabinet doors on – too bad, they were a beauty!

So, i started off by removing the middle cabinet doors and the three middle drawers.  My client wanted to leave the three shelves where the drawers were, so that made it easy.

First up was taking off the back – that makes it nice and easy to make the shelves rather than trying to do it from the front.  I just measured out where i wanted my bottom shelves to be, drew that out on my MDF and then cut.  It can get tricky on some dressers because theres lots of corners to go around – just be patient and do lots of measuring !  Sometimes it can look like a big puzzle piece.

Dont mind my child labor…all she was doing is pulling staples for 5 minutes…i swear!

Then i added the same MDF that i used for the shelves to the sides, to give it a finished look instead of just leaving them open and seeing the sides of the drawers

Lastly i added some simple trim on the front of each shelf to cover the seams and give everything a finished look

Then i got to painting and glazing and wa-la, all finished!!  I love the way this one turned out – the color is pure perfection!  Its a bold color for this big of piece – but the glaze toned it down and made it look awesome sauce (thats what my kids would say if they saw this dresser…they would, i swear!!)

Man!!  The pics just dont do this one justice on the color/detail – guess you’ll just have to take my word for it ;)

The 411

Primer – Sherwin Williams multi purpose primer tinted to a dark brown

Paint – Ben Moore Peacock Blue (i had mine matched and mixed up @ Sherwin Williams)

Glaze – Sherwin Williams oil based glaze in Van Dyke Brown.  See glazing tutorial here

Clear Coat – Varathane Brand Poly in a satin finish

Distressing Technique – i used cabinet scrapers, see post here

Hardware – original hardware painted oil rubbed bronze with Krylon brand paint and primer

…………………………..

To see more dressers turned TV consoles – see this post here and there are links @ the bottom of the post

…………………………..

I have been getting lots of emails on the Sherwin Williams glaze that i have been using, so i will do a post on that in the next day or two!!

16 Responses to {Before & After} – 70’s dresser = TV console

1. Aida Jones July 16, 2012 at 5:54 pm #

LOVE! LOVE! LOVE!

2. Tere July 16, 2012 at 6:06 pm #

BEAUTIFUL!!! I saw an old dresser like this at Goodwill (Seattle) last week. $49. I thought of you…as I have no skills as your makeover magic.

3. Karen @ The Quaint Cottage July 16, 2012 at 6:07 pm #

This looks great. I love the color. I’ve been looking for a find like this on Craigslist to make over for an entertainment center. Nice work!

4. Bliss July 16, 2012 at 8:24 pm #

It turned out pretty darn cute, but I’m oogling the background art.

~Bliss~

5. Christie July 17, 2012 at 5:30 am #

Hi,
    It looks amazing!! What kind of paint brush do you use to paint the piece?
    I have a small bookcase that I want to try paint and glaze but I’m afraid that if I use brush to paint it, it will show brush marks and not smooth… if you know what I mean.
    Thanks!

6. Andrea July 17, 2012 at 3:02 pm #

I love your blog and all the beautiful furniture makeovers you do!! I was just wondering why you use primer tinted to brown? I’ve noticed that you use it on a lot of you pieces.
    Thanks so much!!
    Andrea :-)

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} July 19, 2012 at 7:52 pm #

i do that so when its distressed the brown primer will show thru instead of white – and the brown primer makes it look like dark brown wood is peaking through

7. Christie July 18, 2012 at 5:29 am #

The color is amazing!
    Can I ask you a question? What kind of brush do you use to paint your furniture? Do you use a roller or sponge at all? I have a small bookcase I want to try painting but I’m afraind that it will leave some brush marks and I don’t know what would be the best way to paint smooth.. Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Keep up the beautiful work!

Christie

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} August 2, 2012 at 9:02 pm #

I dont use a brush, i use a paint sprayer. But if i were to brush, i would use a purdy – they are awesome. And a good way to paint without getting brush marks is to water down the paint a little – that will help

8. Yivo July 18, 2012 at 3:10 pm #

Did you have a hard time convincing them to tint your primer to a dark brown? For some reason the associate I spoke to over the phone said he cant do it that dark?? Thank you!

BTW the piece looks fabulous! :)

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} July 19, 2012 at 6:47 pm #

yes at 1st!! but then i told my guys @ SW that the only reason i went to lowes for anything paint related was for primer and they figured it out!!

• Hillary September 3, 2012 at 11:36 pm #

Ah! I left a similar comment on another post earlier this weekend. Yeah, my guys say they can’t do it — that as they add more colorant to the primer, the primer loses its effectiveness. I’ve even talked with the regional manager about it. He says to use their Solo paint instead of primer. He swears by it. I’m thinking I’ll pick up a deep base primer at Lowe’s instead. :(

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} September 6, 2012 at 2:13 pm #

im going to answer this question tonight in my post :) (Solo paint is awesome by the way, its pretty much all i use!)

• Hillary September 6, 2012 at 4:20 pm #

My SW guy just told me that there is a deep base for the multi-purpose primer. He said it’s only about 2 months old and he didn’t know about it until I made him search. ;) Problem solved! I think I’ll switch to Solo — good to know. Thanks!

9. Cristina Lane July 25, 2012 at 11:34 pm #

I absolutely love your work! Great job on this entertainment center!

10. Roxanne August 26, 2012 at 10:19 am #

Love it! Love the color! Mine never turn out that good….