The house is a mess…keeping it real post

(aren’t those the most gorg flowers you’ve ever seen?!)

I always love when i look at another blog and see a post filled with pretty pics of their house.  It gives me tons of inspiration/motivation.  But i also love when i come upon a blog post of the “for realz” pics.  When pics are shown of everyday life and you leave that blog feeling that they are just like you – that they dont have a perfect, photo worthy, spotless, i am perfect all the time  house.  Know what i mean?

Well, lately i have a bajillion things going on and i am completely overwhelmed and underwhelmed all at the same time.  I have a ton of ideas of what i want to do in our house and get super excited to get them started but then dont have the motivation to finish them up!

Take my entry way for example, i added planks in there about 3 weeks ago and cant quite seem to finish painting it.  Thats on my TO DO list TODAY!!  Well…its been on my TO DO list every day, but today for sure….

Oh, and then Santi is out of town for a week so i thought that i would bust out the kitchen cabinet painting job.  Uh huh – before i finished my entry.  Got all the doors off…thats about it.  Cleaning/taping is on my TO DO list tomorrow…

And while Santi is out of town, all we do is eat out – bad i know.  This is my nightstand, i love McD’s coke!!  And why i have a smoke alarm in a refrigerator shelve thingy next to my bed……no clue!

And check out my pretty laundry room…not so pretty now is it?  Looks like the dog found something yummy.  Oh ya…

Then as we walk down to the basement there is project after project – all half done…

Lets step into the backyard shall we?  Looks all pretty from here right?

(ahhh, this pic makes me happy, i love crazy yards with lots of random plants)

But you see that concrete mess?  Long story that i will do a post on later, but my stain from last year all came up.  OH MAN!!!  So i decided to do an acid stain instead and it looks like rust…not what i was going for…this pic doesnt do the rust justice – believe me.

Wanna take a ride on the chair train anyone?

And im seriously almost too embarassed to show this pic – but im keeping it real.  This is the future waterfall.  This is not my project.  Santi has been working on this FOREVER and cant get it right.  He resorted to bringing in that plastic liner thing – not good.  Buddha is not happy sitting there in this rock quarry – he told me ;)

Then as we come back into the house we see the family room – the slipcovers are in serious need of washing.   All that gymnastics, eating on the couches, movie watching and dog snot is making them look a little shabby and not in a good way.  Gotta love bleachable slipcovers!

Then as we stroll to the kids bathroom – not horrible but not good.  Chips anyone while you go pee?  Multi tasking i guess.

Why does that girl keep popping up in all my pics?

And lastly, my craftroom.  Ahhh – my junkroom.  Everything and anything gets thrown in here.  I actually cleaned it up a couple weeks ago so its not too bad in here, normally you cant see the floor or get in the door.  But i really want to do a post on this room because i love it – but im just too lazy busy to clean it…soon.  See a couple christmas things there – ya, i just took those down from my entry – seriously!

So, i sit here on my table that is covered in dust waiting for motivation to strike.  So much too do, so many ideas, but serious lack of motivation because there is just too much going on.  And i know that i bring it on myself.  I like to be busy, i like projects.  But i need a new system.

But,with that being said,  i love that i can have a messy house and not freak about it (well, for a bit anyways).  I love that our house is lived in.  I love that our kids see us doing  projects and them wanting to help out (that is HUGE for me).  I love that our kids arent afraid to make a little mess or spill something because we will freak out.  I love that everyone pitches in @ chore time to get’em done, mostly without complaint.   I love that this house is about all of us.

Like i said overwhelmed and underwhelmed all at the same time….

K – off to paint…maybe…

65 Responses to The house is a mess…keeping it real post

1. 1GirlTwinBoys June 27, 2012 at 7:38 pm #

Sometimes when you see all these beautiful home decor blogs, it makes you feel bad that your own home is not in perfect order and picture ready. This really makes me feel so much better and that things don’t have to be perfect all the time. TFS! Your home is still beautiful even with a little mess here and there.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} June 27, 2012 at 7:56 pm #

thats exactly how i feel sometimes – how do they do it all?! thanks so much :)

• Kelly in Chicago June 28, 2012 at 4:56 am #

Where did you find that cool towel rack in the bathroom? I love it!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} June 28, 2012 at 9:14 am #

its actually a plate rack and i just got it from goodwill!

• Kelly June 28, 2012 at 1:24 pm #

Thanks for replying so quickly. We have 2 Goodwills nearby & I’m always looking for a treasure. I’ll keep my eyes open. Maybe someone else will donate something like that!

• Vanessa June 28, 2012 at 8:17 pm #

Girl…I recently found your website and love visiting it frequently. It makes me happy and gives me inspiration, but today’s post made me laugh out loud!!!! As a mother of 4, it makes me feel good to know someone else’s house looks just like mine!!!! It’s all good, sister!

2. Heidi June 27, 2012 at 7:44 pm #

I love this post!!! This is so my life right now. I’ve been painting my kitchen cupboards for over a week now. The drawers are piled on the counter, I’ve resorted to a dollar store basket so we can find the cultery. Our almost 1 year old pulls out every pot and pan and then the pantry food every day. The other kids just pile their “stuff” on the kitchen table. I have clean laundry that’s been folded on my couches for almost a week and don’t even get me going on the yard. I really just need to focus and do one task at a time.

Thank you so much for reminding us that life is real!!!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} June 27, 2012 at 7:55 pm #

i dont even wanna think about how its gonna be when i actually get the painting of the cabs!!

3. Chana June 27, 2012 at 7:52 pm #

I am in love with these photos. How totally refreshing to see the other side of perfect. The way we all are, but hide from everyone. So REAL. You are brave and crazy all in one. !!!! And by the way, your house if beautiful :)

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} June 27, 2012 at 7:54 pm #

haha!! thanks!!

4. Danielle June 27, 2012 at 7:54 pm #

Props to you for three posts this week!

Thank you. I love a good quality keepin it real post. I have to admit my house is on par with yours, and I do am suffering from lack of DIY-finishing motivation. At least I’m in good company…tomorrow I am going to finish painting my bathroom…(I’ve only been saying that for a week.)

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} June 27, 2012 at 8:18 pm #

i know huh?! i seriously think its a record for me…i might even try for 4 posts in 4 days :) have fun painting your bathroom!!

5. Sherry June 27, 2012 at 8:01 pm #

Hahaha! I love you. I think we were separated at birth. Thanks for keeping it real!!! Your house is wonderful and your honesty is refreshing. I’m not afraid of a mess…I run a childcare and preschool in my home. I’m so over trying to be picture perfect! Hope you find time to paint soon. ;)

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} June 27, 2012 at 8:17 pm #

we just might be?!! thanks :)

6. Heather June 27, 2012 at 8:03 pm #

Love this!!!!!!! Thanks for the reminder! Xoxo

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} June 27, 2012 at 8:18 pm #

thanks heather!!

7. Liz June 27, 2012 at 8:21 pm #

Thanks for posting this…seriously made my day. Especially as I walk into my bathroom that has enough hair on the floor to make a wig. Ew. You’re awesome! And real! Love it!!!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} June 27, 2012 at 8:44 pm #

ahh – you crack me up!! I seriously know exactly what you are talking about!!

• Brianne Ball July 9, 2012 at 1:41 pm #

You should show this to Nate:)

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} July 9, 2012 at 10:20 pm #

haha!!

8. april June 27, 2012 at 8:23 pm #

Love it!!! Mine looks WAY worse and has for the past 3 months while I have been working on other peoples houses and making theirs look beautiful!! We come in and make just enough of a mess day after day and I can’t keep up with it :( It looks like a tornado has hit everyday!!!

LOVE your projects though!!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} June 27, 2012 at 8:42 pm #

where have you been? i miss seeing your cute furniture!!

9. amy June 27, 2012 at 8:36 pm #

Your house is so gorgeous even messy. Love keeping it real posts. Glad I’m not the only one who has 10 projects going at a time, all part way finished :)

10. Liz June 27, 2012 at 8:52 pm #

I LOVE this post! Makes me feel normal … Typically my house is picture perfect but lately it is anything but. We are finishing our basement (that’s what I call it but it’s actually our main floor as we have a bi-level). That area of our house is nothing but drywall dust and things pilled in rooms so that we can lay flooring. My upstairs is disgusting and my laundry is pilled to the ceiling (we are very lucky we have so much clothing that we can last that long). All of this because I am on the Committee for the local Relay For Life and have literally not cleaned anything in three weeks. Now the event has come to a close and I can get back to “normal” life. Yah right … renos are still on going, I have many projects I want to finish here and there and that mountain of laundry is going to take until next year to work through. Thank you again for sharing real life with us …

11. Mindi June 27, 2012 at 9:32 pm #

Amen! I could just cut and paste all the above comments. This was fun for me, and makes me feel MUCH better about my house in it’s current state, the number of projects I have started and not finished, and my lack of motivation, when I just want to read my good book! You are awesome and I love all the posts in a week!

12. Erica June 27, 2012 at 9:55 pm #

I needed this! THANK YOU!!! I am normal! ;)

13. Heather Marie June 27, 2012 at 11:07 pm #

Facts:
    1) This may be one of my favorite posts ever
    2) You have just made a lot of women (definitely including myself) feel a million times better about always comparing to “blogworld”. Like seriously, I think a thousand pounds of anxiety just left my body. lol!
    3) Your house is still gorgeous even when it is “messy”
    4) You seriously have given me hope that I can have a “perfect” and beautiful house too eventually, it just doesn’t have to be perfect all the time.
    5) Did I mention how gorgeous your house is?!
    6) Thank you for this…seriously!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} June 28, 2012 at 9:15 am #

thanks so much for everything you just said, so sweet!!

14. Ellen June 28, 2012 at 12:29 am #

I smiled through that whole post. Whenever I have a project going (or 2 or 3), nothing else gets done. No housework, no laundry, no cooking! If it weren’t for my husband, the kids would starve and be wearing filthy clothes, during those times. I have seen all the beautiful pictures of your home. I really have wondered if you were the perfect mom and housekeeper and if you had perfect kids who never made messes. I’m just really glad to know that your kids jump on the furniture and that your house isn’t always perfect because my kids jump on the furniture too and my house hasn’t been perfect since, well it’s been so long that I can’t remember when.

15. Sarah @ Cozy.Cottage.Cute. June 28, 2012 at 2:51 am #

LOVED this post.

I think we are leading double lives!!!!! :)

16. tracey June 28, 2012 at 5:40 am #

All I can say is thanks for being human…I am especially loving the chips in the bathroom.
    Sometimes I like when things are really messy, because when it gets clean, I like my house more than normal.

Cheers to parenthood and getting distracted
    easily :)

17. Marlene June 28, 2012 at 6:06 am #

I love your house, mess and I. I’m sure everyone has been there, houses being a mess. I know I have. I used to think the house had to be perfect all the time, was wearing myself out cleaning and trying to keep it that way. There are more important things, doing things together with family and friends. As you get older it seems to matter less.

18. Joni Holland June 28, 2012 at 6:54 am #

Love this!!

19. Lindsay at Life of Splendor June 28, 2012 at 7:01 am #

Your home is so beautiful and it’s not messy, it’s lived in :) Thanks for sharing and “keeping it real.”

20. Kimberly Falls June 28, 2012 at 7:08 am #

I love this post so much! Thanks so much for sharing. My hubby pointed out to me that I have a problem of starting projects but moving on to another one before I finish the first one! I love your house and your blog!

21. Marion June 28, 2012 at 7:12 am #

I.Love.This. I feel so badly all the time about messes. I appreciate you sharing and making the rest of us feel normal when our houses are crazy looking. There just aren’t enough hours in the day for a busy mom!!!

22. Jodi June 28, 2012 at 7:23 am #

I love the finish of the table in the first picture! Any how-to tips on how I can get the same look? And what colour is that turquoise – love it! btw I love your site and posts, they’ve inspired me to scour second hand shops and try my own projects! THANKS!!!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} June 28, 2012 at 9:17 am #

i primed it using a dark brown primer (or you can use paint), then i painted it using sea green old fashioned milk paint. While it was semi wet, i just took a sanding block to it and went to town! I need to do a post on it…one day :)

23. jenn gray June 28, 2012 at 7:29 am #

i will be giggling about this all day :)

24. april June 28, 2012 at 8:08 am #

Working!!! You would never know it because I never blog about it! All my pictures are still on my camera….UGH!

25. Emily @ The Wicker House June 28, 2012 at 8:11 am #

You Crack me up. I love post like this. Real life!! Although your home is still stunning, even messy!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} June 28, 2012 at 1:46 pm #

thanks so much! your just lucky you cant see the dog hair and piles of dust and fuzz everywhere!! ugghhh….!!!

26. Christine June 28, 2012 at 8:30 am #

I like to use the term “creative disarray” and believe me I have a little in each of my rooms. I’m in the process of figuring out new decorating projects and a little indecisive or maybe a little overwhelmed. Either way thanks for sharing!

27. Colette June 28, 2012 at 11:04 am #

Ok I have been checking out your blog for over a week – I am a new follower for sure. But now I am eternally bonded to you by the sheer raw honesty you have displayed. Kudos and THANKS for keeping it totally real! I don’t know what my fave pic is…. The dog burrowing through the laundry pile, the chips in the kids’ bathroom- or is it Zailee on the sofa!!??? LOVE LOVE LOVE them all. Further, McD’s by FAR has the bestest fountain coke ever! Its thee perfect blend of syrup and carbonation. And the fact that there’s more than one on your nightstand puts me in further awe of your willingness to show imperfection in the world of blog perfection. I no longer feel

• Colette June 28, 2012 at 11:06 am #

Oops!!!! Hit send to quickly— no longer feel grossly inadequate! Sausha for President!!!!! :)

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} June 28, 2012 at 1:45 pm #

a couple weeks ago when my husband was gone again, seriously i took about 10 mcd’s coke cups from my nightstand and lined them up on my kitchen counter and took a pic – i should of posted that!! – but they are the best!!!

Thanks so much for your sweet comment!!

28. misty June 28, 2012 at 2:00 pm #

What color are you painting the cabs? Love your house. We just bought a new one and I am playing copy cat with the plank wall.

29. Sherrie June 28, 2012 at 6:07 pm #

It’s so nice to know this mess is normal!! LOL Love your house, clean or messy! Thanks for all the great inspiration.

30. Pamm June 28, 2012 at 6:53 pm #

Bless you, Darling Girl! This is one of my favorite-est posts EVAH!

Grins!
    Pamm

31. Debbie June 30, 2012 at 6:13 pm #

Sausha, I can’t wait to read your post every time I see it in my Reader folder. And I’m especially happy today. Thanks for keeping it real. I am overwhelmed almost every day of my life and struggle to find the peace. But if I take a deep breath, and ask myself “what can I do today to take the weight off”, I can usually get an answer. Love your work and I aspire to have my own shop one day too.

32. Janet Lawson June 30, 2012 at 8:10 pm #

Your house is beautiful and what I love most is you keeping it real..Can’t wait to see the cabinets finished..

33. Darci Laidlaw July 1, 2012 at 10:33 pm #

I LOVE YOU for this post! With three kids 6, 3, and 1 my house is always trashed, and even though I’m no clean freak I get pretty overwhelmed! I always have a dusty table too. And my kids bathroom is baaaaaaad (no matter how hard I try to keep up with it!). And my laundry room…it would probably make you feel better about yours. :) Thanks for keepin’ it real!

34. Jeane July 2, 2012 at 7:43 pm #

I want to take a picture of my laundry room just to make you feel better. I think I’ve done 6 loads today and still have 7 triple load baskets full, plus I need to weed – I mean go thru- all the boys clothes. They are growing too fast!
    Your house is absolutely adorable! I love every idea you have and do. And your kitchen was beautiful. Also, I thought you had some great mastermind organizing plan for the fridge thingy. :)

35. Nancy July 3, 2012 at 2:52 pm #

How do you frame the bathroom mirror if the mirror sits in a “track” at the bottom of the mirror?

36. KarenLI July 12, 2012 at 3:46 am #

I been feeling awful because I’ve easily got 3 unfinished projects going on in my house and this post makes me feel I’ve got my life under control in comparison lol! My home looks pretty much the same but in my defense I tell myself it’s summer and I don’t want to be inside when it’s nice. Then on rainny days I don’t have the motivation. Vicious cycle. Thanks for letting me know I’m normal though!

37. Heidi Caminiti July 12, 2012 at 10:21 am #

Too bad we live so far apart ’cause we could be friends. Never mind that I am old enough to be your mom! We could so be friends!
    Keep being yourself, enjoy your kids, it is wonderful that you are so creative and that you let your kids be creative. And ya know what else? Your kids are NOT going to remember when everything was perfect. They will remember helping you in your shop, they will remember all the fun they had with mom and they will learn amazing skills that they would NEVER learn if you were an uptight don’t touch, don’t make a mess mom! They also wouldn’t learn how to pitch in and get ‘r’ done if they did not have anything to clean up!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} July 12, 2012 at 7:30 pm #

yes, we could be friends!! i agree with everything you said 100 million % !!!

38. Julie Parker July 13, 2012 at 8:07 am #

Thank you! Thank YOU! THANK you!!!
    This was the best post you’ve EVER done! It reminds me that although everything in my house/yard/garage is half finished and my kids have to “clear a spot” on the kitchen table to eat breakfast, I am not a horrible mother! I used to keep my house spotless, like a magazine but that’s all I ever did! Now, you could still eat off the floors (there’s lots to choose from down there) and I love my projects and my booth!
    You are inspiring!…even more to me now that you have shown us your imperfect life….just like ours :)
    Thank you! (did I say that already?)

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} July 15, 2012 at 8:03 pm #

you are too funny – your comment about the floors totally cracks me up!!

39. Shannon@akadesign August 14, 2012 at 4:34 pm #

I love your house anyway!!! And our house looks like yours some days too. That’s what happens when your house is your “work” and you have kids and a dog – trust me, I hear ya!
    xo,
    Shannon

40. lichen September 4, 2012 at 11:05 pm #

Yeah for real life! I spent 15mn artistically photoshopping the background behind my cute daughter today. All to disguise the used laundry room madness from my mother -in -law. I suppose I could have spent that same time cleaning up the laundry, but that idea never occurs to an artist person.

41. Heidi September 8, 2012 at 11:07 am #

I’m late to the party but I loved seeing these pictures! I was on here looking for your plank wall (next on my to do list) and ignoring the horrendous mess that is my house, lol! You are amazingly talented and I love to copy your projects!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} September 8, 2012 at 11:18 am #

Thank you so much and have fun with your wall, i would love to see some pics when its done!

42. Johnna October 25, 2012 at 12:33 pm #

Where did you get your slip cover for your couch from? I have been looking for one forever!! Love your blog!!