{Before & After} – Repurposed Headboards

I cant remember where i found these headboards, but they’ve been in the shop for a bit and i was finally able to get to them last week.  And ya, i could of painted them up cute to re-use as a headboard again, but i love me some repurposed stuff!

So, the legs were just cut off where they taper on the bottom with a jigsaw, then they were light sanded and primed using a dark brown tinted primer.

Next up, i painted one a fun yellow, distressed it with an electric sander and then glazed it.  The other one, i painted some spots with Valspar crackling glaze, then basic white and also heavily distressed that one with the electric sander.

Lastly i added some hooks to each and they were done!!  Easy project that is fun and unique and could be used for TONS of things!  How cute would these be in a bathroom for towels, a girls room for her dress-up clothes, a kitchen for aprons or even out in the yard to hang flowers or garden tools!   Tons of ideas come to mind!  I want one for above my potting bench…

The 411

Yellow

Primer – SW multi purpose primer tinted to a dark brown

Paint – Brittlebrush by SW

Glaze – SW Van Dyke Brown oil based glaze

Clear Coat – SW Woodclassics in a gloss

White

Primer – SW multi purpose primer tinted to a dark brown

Valspar Crackle Glaze

Paint – basic white from SW

Clear Coat – SW Woodclassics in a gloss

All hooks are from Hobby Lobby

……………………………..

FYI – these are currently for sale exclusively @ GroopDealz.  Go here for more info and to purchase!

24 Responses to {Before & After} – Repurposed Headboards

1. Marty@A Stroll Thru Life June 26, 2012 at 7:46 pm #

Oh how fun are these. What a genius idea. Love the yellow color too. Hugs, Marty

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} June 26, 2012 at 8:53 pm #

thanks Marty!!

2. Cheryl B June 26, 2012 at 8:47 pm #

I love your blog I have gotten so many ideas from you. I am remodeling my bathroom and turned a French Provencial dresser into a vanity I have the headboard that matches and I’m going to turn it into a rack with hooks for towels. Thanks so much for your ideas.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} June 26, 2012 at 8:52 pm #

you just gave me an idea! We are also turning an antique dresser into a bathroom vanity for our basement and i dont want to use the mirror – but its a really cool round frame and i could totally repurpose that into a towel holder!! I seriously didnt even think of that until your comment – funny!!

3. Lindsay at Life of Splendor June 27, 2012 at 6:10 am #

Sausha, I love what you did with these! I never would’ve thought of that. They look awesome and I can just picture them in a mudroom as a stylish way to hold all of a family’s stuff. Awesome!

4. Julie June 27, 2012 at 9:16 am #

These are just fabulous! I think I might know what to do now with my old 3/4 bed that’s languishing in the playroom with a crib mattress that doesn’t fit :) Hmmm, it may even be great for a wall-mounted planter-box.

You just gear up the creative side of my brain!

5. tiffani June 27, 2012 at 5:38 pm #

What a darling idea! Thanks for sharing all your paint colors!! Love!!!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} June 27, 2012 at 7:56 pm #

your very welcome :)

6. Debbie June 29, 2012 at 6:00 am #

Just darling… I shared your photo on my Facebook page today!!! Great to meet you! I’ll be back!

7. Ari Z June 29, 2012 at 10:12 am #

What a great idea for old headboards! You could hang one of these in every room of the house. It’s a great to keep clutter off the floor, especially in a mudroom or back hallway.

8. Donna Allgaier-Lamberti July 7, 2012 at 11:19 am #

What an adorable idea! The sunny yellow is my favorite one!

Small House / Big Sky Donna

9. Debbie @ OtRD July 8, 2012 at 7:27 pm #

I just came across your site and an LOVING it! Your creations are just lovely and I’m so excited to find the great inspiration!

10. Amber Hamilton Henson July 16, 2012 at 3:10 pm #

Oooh!! I love re-purposing, too! Just yesterday (July 15, 2012), I re-upholstered a CHAIR by using re-purposed BELTS! If you have a minute, stop by my new blog and let me know what you think! http://www.WhatAmberLoves.com

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} July 16, 2012 at 4:48 pm #

what i cute idea!! they turned out so cute – good job!!

11. Teresa Ciaramella/Rickety Swank, vintage & unique September 17, 2012 at 10:30 am #

O, how I love your ideas. I have the same exact set of head boards in my garden being used as trellises. I picked up some more head boards over the weekend and hadn’t figured out what to do with them yet. I love this…! I have also attached a chicken feeder to them and used them as planter box supports. Fun stuff!

12. Teresa Ciaramella/Rickety Swank, vintage & unique September 17, 2012 at 10:33 am #

O, I just love this idea. I have the same exact set of head boards in my garden right now being used as garden trellises. I picked up another set of head boards this weekend and had no idea what to do with them. This is just great I love it.

13. Lesely Smith January 15, 2013 at 7:36 am #

​What a lovely idea and a great choice of colour. I have never given much thought to re purposing but i feel quite inspired by your blog and i love the vintage feel!

14. Deborah March 6, 2013 at 10:00 am #

What a cute idea. The yellow is great and shows how repurposing can really suit any style, vintage, shabby chic, industrial, modern. I love taking old pieces and making them “new” and useful again. keep up the good work!

15. Katie Justiss March 23, 2013 at 5:13 pm #

Wow! I love this! I have a headboard that someone just gave me and I was not sure what I was going to do with it because it really was part of a bed frame and needs the rest of the frame to go with it. This is an awesome idea!

16. karen March 28, 2013 at 7:38 am #

Those are just too cute! So clever to use them for hanging, they would be so cute in an entry way, too.

17. Christina at I Gotta Create! June 1, 2013 at 2:11 pm #

Im in love with these! Beautiful. Pinning :)

<3 Christina at I Gotta Create!
    Wildly Original linky party is open

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Headboard Wall Racks - July 1, 2012

[...] Sausha from Sweet Pickins had this pair of headboards in her shop awaiting their grand makeover for awhile before finally pulling them out. Instead of just repainting them to be used as headboards again, Sausha knew it would be more fun to repurpose them into something new. [...]

2. 13 Unexpected Ways to Upcycle Your Thrifty Shop Findings - March 13, 2013

[...] via sweetpickinsfurniture) Sweet hangers from [...]

3. 6 Ways to Re-Purpose A Headboard — A Cultivated Nest - April 3, 2013

[...] this one from Sweet Pickins just so cute. I could see it hanging on my fence in my [...]