{Plank Wall} – Before & After

Man, it feels good to do a little house project again!!  It seems like its been so long since doing a little DIY project on the weekend, yet im always busy?!?!  But, i love the way this turned out and its all done!

Ive always thought this wall in my kitchen should be a feature wall…i always felt like it just needed something.  Ive painted it a hundred times in the past 5 years, tried stripes, tried a dark color, thought about painting it white…it just needed something…

Well, as long as i can remember i have LOVED the old houses with the old plank walls – especially the ones painted white.  Makes my heart go all pitter patter :)

So –  plank walls i will have!!  I researched several different options for the right product at the right price.  There are lots of ways to do this, but just make sure you take into account the thickness of the planks, the price, the amount of work to hang them, the ease of painting them, etc.

What i ended up finding was 4×8 sheets called utility plywood panels.  They were only $11.55 @ lowes per sheet – super cheap!!  And they are recommended for paint – so they were all nice and smooth (one side was a little smoother than the other).

I measured the square footage on my wall and ended up buying 5 sheets.  I had lowes cut the panels into 6 inch strips (length wise, so each strip was 6″ x 8ft).

So, with my strips all cut lengthwise by lowes, i decided where i wanted my seams and cut my own strips in half just using my miter saw.

Then i just started putting the boards up on the wall.  I didnt want my boards glued in case i want to take it down in the future (ya right!!), so i just used my nail gun and put a few nails in each one (i made sure to angle the nails to keep the boards from pulling out).

**I also gave each board a light sand before putting it up, mostly to smooth out the cut edges made by lowes – the dude insisted on cutting all 5 sheets at the same time, so some of the edges were a little gnarley – men…**

My only issue that i ran into was the crown molding on the cupboard, but it was easy to pop off – lots easier than trying to cut around it.

I left spaces between each plank, i didnt measure the gap, probably about an 1/8″ , i just eyeballed everything.

Of course with any home project that we do, my kids do a little time capsule and write on the walls!  Zailee wrote something about “my awesome mom built this plank wall” – she is such a smart little girl ;)

Then i filled all the nail holes and gave the whole wall a light sand before painting.  I was kinda dreading that part, but it only took about a half hour.

By the way, on that corner wall, i have rounded corners and needed to cover up the gap where the planks meet.  I found some cove molding @ Home Depot and just used it the opposite way that it was intended for – it worked perfect.  I decided not to put any type of finishing molding on the ceiling or around the baseboards.

Ok – at this point i admit, i was a little scared!!  It seriously looked like i just built and outdoor shed in my kitchen!

But, once i got it painted, i was in love!  I love everything about it – the texture, the drama it brings to the room, how that wall is now finally a feature wall, the character it brings to the space, the white!  Everything!

The painting wasnt bad like i thought it was gonna be.  I considered painting the planks before i put them up, but i just wanted to get to work!  Iwill be doing this project again and i will do it the exact same way.  For the bigger gaps, i painted between them, but for the most part i didnt and you cant tell.

I used Sherwin Williams paint and did 2 coats.  I had them color match BM Mascarpone and i used a satin finish.

I love all the white with the pops of color – totally makes me want to paint my house white!

So, i have already filled up that little diagonal wall with a little project yesterday from some reclaimed lumber.  Its big & dramatic and i love it!!  Come back tomorrow and i will show you what it is :)

************************************************

Sidenote – i will be starting my kitchen cabinet painting this week – so excited to get it done!  I will be painting the cabs the same color as the new wall – i know it wont be a very dramatic change, but i def think it will make a big difference overall and will be more of the “classic white cabinet look” that im after.   SO E.X.C.I.T.E.D

88 Responses to {Plank Wall} – Before & After

1. Cynthia May 28, 2012 at 10:11 pm #

Oh my! That is so gorgeous! I love it! I’m so glad you got to work on your OWN home for a change- it’s always “the cobbler’s kid has no shoes” with your own stuff coming last.

2. kristin May 28, 2012 at 10:40 pm #

OH, that’s Beautiful!! I immediately showed My Man because I have a great spot to do this myself. I think I got his approval. ;) Great job, btw!

3. Kim May 29, 2012 at 1:28 am #

So, so beautiful! I love it!

4. Heather May 29, 2012 at 4:58 am #

WOW! What a transformation! I am in love with the look of this and it fits perfectly with everything you have! Great job!

5. Jennifer May 29, 2012 at 5:15 am #

Oh my goodness, I love that! I wonder if hubby will let me do it???

6. Marlene Sullivan May 29, 2012 at 5:29 am #

I love it, it looks really good. I love white also. I would like to do something like this on my ceiling. I’ve seen it done in magazine’s but I just haven’t tried it yet. Maybe someday.

7. Joani May 29, 2012 at 6:16 am #

Love the wall & so simple. Most anyone could do it. Can’t wait to see the kitchen cabinets and your little surprise.

8. erica May 29, 2012 at 6:27 am #

I LOVE your Wall!! Im scoping out my home right now trying to find a wall i can do that too!! Thanks for sharing!!

9. Cathy May 29, 2012 at 6:27 am #

Oh wow! That looks fantastic! This is on my to do list and I’m definitely doing it your way. Clean, crisp and what an impact! Great job, thanks for sharing. Cathy

10. Comeca May 29, 2012 at 6:28 am #

Lovely you are so brave I have yet to try a bigger project alone.

11. Jen May 29, 2012 at 6:39 am #

So cool. I love it too! It’s fun to see pictures of your house :)

12. Korrie@RedHenHome May 29, 2012 at 6:46 am #

I just “planked” a wall for our “office” space, and I love it! You did a terrific job!

13. Rasonda May 29, 2012 at 7:47 am #

I love love love this!!!!

14. Michelle May 29, 2012 at 10:28 am #

I love the additional texture to the room! Perfect!

15. {the.junk.nest} May 29, 2012 at 10:32 am #

I love this. I love your kitchen too :) Great job!

16. Janet Lawson May 29, 2012 at 11:16 am #

WOW….BEAUTIFUL….looking forward to seeing your cabinets finished…Happy painting..

17. Andrea May 29, 2012 at 11:22 am #

I love that wall! What a difference that makes! Can’t wait to see your kitchen cabinets.

18. Elaine May 29, 2012 at 11:35 am #

Seriously?!?! I shake my head every time I stop by and think “why can’t I come up with stuff like that”! If you ever want to move up to chilly snow-belt Ontario Canada for a while, I’ll house trade with ya…………..hee hee.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} May 29, 2012 at 7:40 pm #

thanks!! although it may be a little cold for me – but, i do love when its cold outside, i seem to get more done on the inside!

19. Cathy May 29, 2012 at 5:44 pm #

Looks beautiful! I’ve been wanting to do this in our bedroom behind our bed. I will look for this product next time at Lowe’s. Love it!

20. meghan May 29, 2012 at 8:06 pm #

I was wondering if Lowes charged you to cut the sheets down to the 6 inch planks. I heard that Home Depot charges per cut. Just trying to calculate the cost if I were to do this for a backsplash in my kitchen. I don’t have a table saw, but I do have a miter saw and a nail gun. Your kitchen looks fantastic!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} May 29, 2012 at 9:33 pm #

they didnt charge me this time, but sometimes it just depends on who you get. They have told me that its .08 cents per cut, after the 1st 4-6 cute. So, if you figure that out for this project, it would only be about .64 extra per sheet – so thats not bad at all :)

21. Michelle H. May 29, 2012 at 11:05 pm #

Love the contrast between your walls and the dark hardwood floor…it makes it even more stunning. I have to say, I have a wall that has some flaws….my house is old and no matter how many times we fix it and sand it, there’s still some surface flaws from having to remove old paneling that the previous owners decided to attach to the wall with a vat of Liquid Nails. What a great way to hide those boo-boos too.

22. meghan May 30, 2012 at 5:33 am #

that’s great! Maybe if I showed up with chocolate chip cookies they wouldn’t mind cutting them at all! Thanks!

23. Chelsea May 30, 2012 at 5:46 pm #

This is so amazing … your are a complete genius for coming up with the plywood idea, so good! Good luck with the kitchen cabinet painting :D

24. Stephanie Pappas May 30, 2012 at 7:22 pm #

Fantastic idea!! Love the white, too. I definitely think you should paint more white walls in your home, especially with your dark floors. The contrast is terrific. We repainted most all of our home 2 yrs ago China White (Benj. Moore) with white trim. We have lots of oak paneled rooms, some floor to ceiling others just wainscott, but it is fantastic. So fresh and cheerful, and as you can already tell your wonderfully painted furniture pieces and art will really come alive.

25. teresa May 30, 2012 at 11:34 pm #

i love this wall ! i am in the middle of wanting a white plank wall in my bedroom and bath area and i would have never thought of buying utility plywood and having them cut it…we have bare walls cuz pre planked wood is outrageous to do a large area but now thanks to you i will be finishing my walls in next two weeks….after i finish the wood walls we re doing in our sons room from pallet wood to make it look like a cabin and adding camo bedding and curtains….thanks

26. Leona Majesky May 31, 2012 at 8:21 am #

Great job, I love it! Are the other walls painted the same color as the plank wall?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} May 31, 2012 at 8:49 am #

no,my walls are a light green the plank walls is a bright creamy white

27. Melanie June 1, 2012 at 8:29 pm #

I Love your wall, and the fact that you found such an inexpensive way to recreate the plank wall look. I think I will definitely have to replicate that in my home! Great job!

28. Chere June 2, 2012 at 12:05 pm #

I just love this, I can do this right over the top of some really ugly wallpaper. Great idea!

29. Nancy June 12, 2012 at 6:41 pm #

I have a question…..have you seen “plank walls” painted anything besides white? I have a wall that is perfect for this project, but I don’t want the room white, and I’m not sure if it would look good painted the color of the room which is blue? (It looks like your kitchen is painted a light color and the plank wall white) Or painted white and leave the room blue? Just curious as to what you think!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} June 25, 2012 at 6:21 pm #

yes!! have you googled images of painted plank walls? if not, do it and you will find some great inspiration pics! Im thinking my basement bathroom walls are gonna be planked and do a fun color :)

• anna October 16, 2012 at 5:52 pm #

I moved to a house that had unfinished planks on one living room wall. My husband sprayed the wall with one coat of lacquer. It almost glowed when it was finished. Beautiful!

30. teguh June 18, 2012 at 8:44 am #

great vision and great ideas for home living. you have good talent for home decoration. thanks for sharing your ideas

31. Sarah June 19, 2012 at 5:27 am #

I tell you what – I love this and am hoping to do it more as a half wall/ wainscotting look in my husband’s office but can’t find any of this paneling at either my Lowes or Home Depot. Any suggestions?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} June 25, 2012 at 6:13 pm #

hmmm…im not sure why lowes wouldnt have it? Maybe they could call another store and see if they carry it? I have noticed a few things from the lowes that i usually go to not carried in another lowes that i sometimes visit. I hope you can find it!!

32. shannst3 June 20, 2012 at 10:56 am #

will you be selling any of those big chalk boards anytime soon?!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} June 25, 2012 at 6:11 pm #

not exactly like that one, but hopefully i can find some more old molding soon and make some more to sell!

33. Jesse July 9, 2012 at 12:28 pm #

I’ve had my eye on this for a while! I’m not ready to tackle it yet (waiting to be approved for the next house!) but I really wanted to share this with my readers.

I featured you on my blog: http://ninered.blogspot.com/2012/07/how-to-clean-plank-wall.html and sent links for my readers to head back here to you.

Thanks again for such an awesome tutorial, you wrote it really well!

-Jesse

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} July 9, 2012 at 10:23 pm #

thanks!! And thanks so much for the feature!!

34. Tyesha T July 12, 2012 at 5:26 am #

I love, love, love this! I will be doing this asap! I love adding drama to my walls…something other than a coat of paint, and this seems so easy! I can’t wait to share my version with you once I’ve finished it!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} July 12, 2012 at 7:31 pm #

yes!! send me some pics, i would love to see!!

35. Diane Hinnant July 17, 2012 at 7:38 am #

Sausha:
    Just discovered your site through The Inspired Room and have already pinned two of your projects, as well as become an email follower. As I said in one of my pins, “you are amazing!” Can’t wait to go through your older posts and see what is to come. Thanks for sharing your incredible talent with us all.
    Diane

36. Kari July 19, 2012 at 5:04 pm #

I love this!!! I love the white but I was also wondering about other finishes/colors. Do you think it would work to make a rustic/barn wood look to this wood? I hope so!!!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} July 19, 2012 at 6:45 pm #

yes! it would look great in any color! And the product i used is wood, so it could def be stained to give it a more rustic look!

37. Jen July 20, 2012 at 4:00 pm #

Love the plank wall … it’s absolutely fab inspiration for me because I’ve been debating about doing a plank wall in our kitchen & this helps me so much – thanks for sharing the process! We have super high ceilings and I’d need to install this above kitchen cabinets – so it’ll be a difficult install. Would there be any reason not to paint it before installing it from your experience?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} August 2, 2012 at 9:00 pm #

I actually think it would be easier to paint it before hanging, that was my plan as well, but i just got to excited and hung it before painting!!

38. carol Bayersdorfer July 24, 2012 at 5:52 pm #

love the look and wondered if this same material could be used for plank floors? maybe with a poly finish to protect them.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} August 2, 2012 at 8:57 pm #

I def think you could, but i would go with a thicker piece of wood – maybe the 1/2 inch

39. Mary July 30, 2012 at 8:56 am #

A dumb question I am sure, but why did you leave a 1/8″ gap between each plank strip?
    As you can tell by this question I am not much of a do it yourselfer.

I love your kitchen and you have such an eye for decorating and knowing what is “missing”…as in wanting that wall to be a feature wall and coming up with your planked wall look. Glad to see that your daughter appreciates how smart and able her mummy is.

I think it’s important that no matter what a mother undertakes to do from putting up a wall or creating a beautiful dress for her daughter or putting up wallpaper, that your daughter has a certain amount of pride in your accomplishments.

Thanks for sharing your project and tutorial.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} August 2, 2012 at 8:54 pm #

i agree!!

I left the gap because i didnt want it to look “perfect”, and by leaving the gap it gives it more dimension because of the darker lines, thus making it looked “planked” instead of just strips of wood on a wall :)

40. Barb August 8, 2012 at 3:37 pm #

i used this same technique….but on my kitchen floor. next time i will let Lowes cut my planks…I sanded all edges first, then stained each plank a pecan color, then went back & aged the plank’s edges & choice areas with ebony stain….i did use an adhesive to attach it securely. Like you…i left a gap between each plank, side to side & end to end. I used a black silicone caulking in every joint, then 2 coats of low gloss poly. I wanted a new floor that would like an old, well used, farm house floor. I recieved ALL negative comments when I told everyone of my plans. But a lot of “WOWS” & positive comments, once they saw my finished “new ‘old’ floor”….

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} August 13, 2012 at 9:08 pm #

do you have a blog? i would love to see some pics!!

41. Paula August 10, 2012 at 5:57 am #

Beautiful kitchen! I am just about to paint my open living area with mascarpone but am hesitant….thought I’d ask you a couple of questions. do you find the color to be warm and bright? Is it a stark white when on the walls? Does it look any bit gray at night without sunlight hitting it? Do you just love the color? I painted this space so many times because it is such a large space, not many colors work. I love white, but so afraid to paint white. ..so curious of your opinions of the mascarpone as that is the white I have chosen. Any feedback will greatly be appreciated.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} August 13, 2012 at 9:07 pm #

i painted my cabinets with the mascarpone, not the walls, but i do think if its paired with the right colors (in my case the walls) it is a warm white. Its hard to answer your other questions, since mine is on cabinets not walls and there are lots of angles and shadows, details in the cabinets – but yes, i love the color!

42. Brandt August 11, 2012 at 12:15 pm #

I love this idea! what an affordable way to re-create plank walls! If i do this on my ceiling, would i start in the center, and work my way out? (like you would do on a floor)

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} August 13, 2012 at 9:04 pm #

ya, i think that would be the best way to go!!

43. Danielle August 11, 2012 at 5:17 pm #

Wow, this is so impressive. I totally envy your talent and creativity! Thanks so much for posting this tutorial. I have the perfect place in my home for this.

44. Kristin August 12, 2012 at 8:53 pm #

I just love this look, and after finding your blog and this post a couple weeks ago it helped me tackle my wall I have been wanting to do. Thanks for the instructions. Your blog is a beautiful and inspiring place.

45. Inspire Me Heather August 29, 2012 at 6:52 am #

Your kitchen is sooo pretty – you’ve done a beautiful job! I love, love your paneled wall, it looks gorgeous and I have this linked to my paneled walls post too today!

46. Janine September 5, 2012 at 11:16 pm #

Hi, love this idea and thought it would be perfect for my kitchen, I could put it right over the wallpaper, so easy………….and then I got to thinking, I have wooden ceilings, medium stain. They run north and south. If I do the plank wall everything will run in the same direction. Is it too much? I will leave the ceilings, but the plank walls would be painted.
    Any ideas on whether this would look good?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} September 6, 2012 at 2:12 pm #

i think it would if its painted – but what about running the planks the opposite way?

• Janine September 6, 2012 at 2:59 pm #

you mean up and down?

47. Janine September 5, 2012 at 11:18 pm #

oh, forgot, I also have wood laminate flooring also runs north and south.

48. Jane B October 10, 2012 at 1:14 pm #

totally crushing on your planks…I’ve been wondering what to do as a feature wall in our akwardly shaped upstairs livingroom/dining room and I’m in love. Just have to talk the hubs into it… wish me luck!

49. Kara December 12, 2012 at 10:13 pm #

This looks amazing! Thanks for the inspiration. I always love checking out what you have done.

50. Jennifer@BlissfullyEverAfter January 15, 2013 at 1:16 pm #

Sausha, I love the new look! It’s fabulous!! I also saw that Shelly over @House of Smith’s just did a similar plank wall in her dining area. Both of your projects inspired me to get my butt in gear and do a planked wall in the playroom. I painted 3 walls Bedford Gray {martha Stewart color} and am doing 1 wall in planked wood. My question for you is, why did you choose this color of white? Have you used it in the rest of your home or was it one you stumbled upon and fell in love with? I ask because I have been using Vermont Cream {by BEHR} throughout our house….it is a pretty bright white vs. creamy white and so I was thinking I might try going with a creamy white instead and saw the colored you used and it looks pretty. When it’s up on the wall, what color does it actually look like? The paint swatch online looks to be a cream almost peach color…and I thinking that is not the case in person. Anyways, I am headed out to get paint here in a bit and so I wanted to ask.

Thanks!! xo, Jenn

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} January 16, 2013 at 5:54 pm #

Hi!

I chose that color of cream because its the same one i used on my cabinets which are in the same room (right next to each other). The reason i chose that color for my cabinets is because i tried lots and lots of creams and with the gray that i was painting on my walls it was hard to get a good cream that didnt look dingey/yellowy next to the gray. In real life the mascarpone is not peachy at all, its actually pretty bright with just a touch of cream so its not a stark white. It doesnt lean towards yellowy, peachy, pinkish, gray at all – just a good creamy white :)

51. Kia G. January 16, 2013 at 2:47 pm #

Love what you did in your kitchen. I wanted to try this in my basement, but the plywood panels you used aren’t available anymore at Lowe’s, so back to the drawing board, I guess. Can’t wait to see what you do next.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} January 16, 2013 at 5:48 pm #

oh man! I know they still have them @ my lowes, but i did see the prices went up by about $2 per sheet.

52. Jade March 10, 2013 at 12:29 pm #

Love the plank wall…I am trying to tackle this project in my own kitchen and while goggling and found your website. My question is how did you decide where to cut your boards? Yours are staggered where others I have seen are not. Please help the wall I am covering is longer then the board like yours so I am trying to decide on which way to go.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 12, 2013 at 1:52 pm #

there was no method as to where i cut them – i just wanted a random look, so it was all just by eye and wherever i thought looked best :)

53. Cas March 24, 2013 at 10:50 am #

I may have missed it but does the wall underneath need to be painted to match the color you are going to do the planks?.. I am thinking grey planked walls… but my walls right now are a latte colored.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 28, 2013 at 5:43 pm #

i think it would be best to paint your wall 1st. my walls were so light before and it wasnt a competing color so i didnt bother though – any bigger gaps that you could see the wall i did paint with a brush

54. Jen March 25, 2013 at 4:03 pm #

Hi, I loved the way your walls turned out so I planked my open livingroom and kitchen!!! Looks amazing but I have a couple boards that are popping off. Have you had this happen with any of yours?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 28, 2013 at 5:42 pm #

nope i havent had any problems – did you put your nails in at an angle? I didnt glue mine up, so i just angled all the nails that way they wouldnt pull out

55. JS123 April 9, 2013 at 11:22 am #

Sausha, It looks great. I’m going to try this in our house. What kind of nails did you use? If you put them in at an angle how did you fill in the nail holes? If the nail is at an angle I’d think the nail head would jut out awkwardly.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} April 17, 2013 at 7:37 am #

just regular brad nails with my brad nailer. And just filled the wholes with dry dex putty (i think thats the one that i used). And no, if you do it right and just point the gun at an angle then you wont have any trouble with the nail poking out :)

56. Ryanne June 22, 2013 at 4:30 pm #

Your room looks wonderful and I am using your technique in my dining room right now to cover up some hideous texture. I was actually wondering how you did your door trim. Are those trim kits or just strips of wood? They go great with the planks!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} July 18, 2013 at 8:46 am #

they are pre-primed strips of molding from lowes or home depot – they come in all different sizes and lengths – they are made for door trim and baseboards

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Gallery wall - WoollyPetals - August 12, 2012

[...] smitten. It turned out better than I expected and was really quite simple, at least thanks to Sausha from Sweet Pickins post about how she tackled a wood wall in her [...]

2. Planked Walls Inspiration | corinnaashley.com - January 29, 2013

[...] Beautiful accent plank wall. Source: Sweet Pickins [...]

3. Pink Wood Planked Walls - March 8, 2013

[...] got my tips from Shelley at the House of Smith’s with their kitchen remodel.  She referenced Sausha from Sweet Pickin’s and her tutorial, so between the two of those posts, I was able to visualize how exactly to do this planked wall [...]

4. walk the plank | summer girl design - July 14, 2013

[...] walls everyone has been doing, so I did my research and thanks to Shelley at House of Smiths and Sausha at Sweet Pickins, I knew what to do. I enlisted the help of my BFF, and armed with some borrowed tools and a long [...]

5. Pallet Wall Palooza: Ten of the Best Wood Plank Walls - August 16, 2013

[...] up, Sweet Pickins has some great before and after shots of her kitchen area! And I just love this gal, she has [...]

6. The little things | The White Rock House - May 16, 2014

[…] We are thinking of covering them with white washed planks, similar to what they’ve done with a kitchen wall over at Sweet Pickins. […]

7. Fall Drop Space and Plank Wall with 3M DIY - aplaceforusblog.com - May 27, 2014

[…] this yourself and there are a ton of great tutorials on it. I first saw this particular tutorial on Sausha’s blog. She’s such a trend setter! So here’s what I did step by step following some her tips as […]