{Old Door = Chalkboard}

Oh man, how i LOVE old doors!!!  I am seriously a door hoarder!!  But, im trying to start repurposing them to get them cleared out!

A couple of years ago, i took an old single panel door,painted the frame white and then chalkboard in the middle and hung it horizontally on the wall for my craftroom.

Seriously bad pic, but it was the only one i could find right now…

Then recently i took an old screen door, ripped out the screen and put in a chalkboard.  I love the color on this one (intense teal by SW with a dark brown glaze)

If you have followed me for a while now, you know my old green door that i cut down to make a coffee table – still LOVE this one!!  Since then, i have made several door tables.

Then, just yesterday i posted about a single panel door that i turned into a jewelry holder

So, i took 2 more doors from my stash and turned them into chalkboards.  Both are a different color and both are for sale in the Sweet Pickins Shop.  I love these!!  Would be perfect in a kitchen, playroom, family room or of course, a craftroom :)

I have lots more old doors and lots more ideas!!!!

16 Responses to {Old Door = Chalkboard}

1. Jesse May 1, 2012 at 1:23 pm #

WOW! These looks great, are you using actual chalkboards or do you use chalkboard paint? I’ve used the paint, I like it. I have yet to use a real chalkboard though!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} May 2, 2012 at 1:00 pm #

chalkboard paint!

2. Erica Hyatt May 1, 2012 at 1:27 pm #

Love, love, love the old doors! I’ve been searching for one for my laundry room forever! Where do you find yours? I’m in the Dallas area so I’m sure there are some out there somewhere!!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} May 2, 2012 at 1:00 pm #

in the trash!! i sorta get them from everywhere – try an architectural salvage shop in your area :)

3. Jen May 1, 2012 at 6:09 pm #

Where do you get the chalkboard from?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} May 2, 2012 at 12:59 pm #

i just paint on the chalkboard

4. Tam May 2, 2012 at 3:48 am #

Aaaahhhhhh… each one looks so nice! And your coffee table, well let’s just say, “I gotta get me one of those!” I love following along! Have a great day…

5. Leslie @ Salvaged Spaces May 2, 2012 at 5:20 am #

I’m in love with all of them! I especially love the color of the intense teal one with the brown glaze… thanks for sharing! :)

6. Reclaimed Treasures May 2, 2012 at 11:46 am #

Really love that intense teal with glaze door. Perfect colors. Gotta love chalk boards!

7. Sandra Licher May 16, 2012 at 8:38 am #

I love your coffee table! 40 some years ago I took an old 4 paneled door and made it into a headboard for my bed and wired a little reading lamp with shade where I had removed the doorknob. I think I was ahead of my time as I got criticized a lot for my “funky” ways. I used old ladders for plants and put boards between the rungs for shelves. I junked all the time but people thought it was trashy but I loved it. Today I’d bet those same people would be begging for me to paint something for them well maybe not my age group…they’re still the same narrow-minded critical unimaginative people…..but glad to see I wasn’t nuts after all and even if I was…I’m thinking I’m in pretty good company!
    I like the horizontal blackboard door a lot! Plus, your craft room table. I need to get better with power tools. It’s the saws I’m a little leary of but once I get that skill there’ll be no stopping me! You do beautiful work and there is no end to your imagination!

8. Melissa May 30, 2012 at 8:38 am #

Hi! What kind of material did you use for the chalkboard? Is it like a 1/4 inch utility board like what you used for your plank wall? Thanks!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} May 30, 2012 at 9:16 am #

it was a 1/4 inch fiberboard

9. Cpandy July 11, 2012 at 11:44 pm #

Hi! Love your site & your work! 2 questions: how do u attach the fiberboard into the door or screen? Also what kind of electric sander do you use or would suggest for obvious beginners as myself? Thanks so much!!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} July 12, 2012 at 7:36 pm #

thanks!! i just staple the fiberboard on with an electric stapler. And i use an orbital sander by Dewalt, i prefer orbital over the other types

• Cpandy July 13, 2012 at 9:54 am #

Thanks so much for the info! Does that sander work for smaller items & areas too? I’m looking at the dewalt 3 amp 5 inch size. Sometimes I do smaller wood pieces & I’m tired of using an actual sanding hand strip! Thanks, in advance! I know how busy you are! :)

10. Heather Hurt August 10, 2012 at 6:58 am #

I LOVE the color of door #2! What’s the name of it?