{Hello & a Couch} – before & after

Well, Hello!!!  Sorry, ive been slacking on the blog posting again, its just so hard to find an extra hour in the day lately!  Im rearranging my schedule next week and trying out a new “routine” hoping that i can get in some more computer time – so hopefully more posts are in our future :)

Anyways, i got this sweet couch and chair a while back and knew it had some potential.  Luckily for me the guy next door to my shop does upholstery, and he did an awesome job!!

I wasnt a big fan of the original tufting and wanted something more casual.   I just had it covered in a painters drop cloth so its super durable, and it looks like linen.  Extra foam was added on the back so the tufting could be covered up.

The only thing that i had to do was paint the wood (Honeymilk by Valspar) and then add the little decorative trim to cover up the staples.  I only burnt my finger about 10 times with the hot glue gun – maybe i should stick to painting?!

I am lovin that scalloped back!

How cute is that?!  Its the most comfy couch ever – i have been taking some breaks on that couch while im at the shop – ssshhhh ;)  My client is coming to pick it up tomorrow – i hope she likes it as much as i do!!

**********************************************

Did you notice the “hello” sign on my barn wood?  One of my sweetest clients ever (Hi Leslie!!) asked me if i could cut letters/words like she had been seeing online.  I never have, but didnt think it could be too hard.  I dont have a tutorial for this, but basically i found a font i liked, had it blown up by kinkos, cut out the word then traced it onto some MDF.  Then i just cut out the word with a jigsaw and painted it.  This one is painted Sherwin Williams “Stop”.   How freaking cute is this sign!!  I am for sure going to make me one in yellow :)

If you want your own “Hello” sign,they will be up for sale in the Sweet Pickins Shop!  (you can choose your color)

46 Responses to {Hello & a Couch} – before & after

1. Cynthia May 10, 2012 at 9:46 pm #

That is seriously over-the-top fabulous! Wow! And the painter’s drop cloth thing is genius! I have a little formal settee I’ve been wanting to recover for a long time. This might be just the thing for it! I am a little nervous about painting the wood though- not because I can’t but I always worry about whether or not I SHOULD. Looking at this? Oh I so should!

2. Cynthia May 10, 2012 at 9:47 pm #

I totally love that “hello” sign too- the whole set up is seriously divine!

3. Terrie May 11, 2012 at 4:54 am #

Love Love Love this couch! A drop cloth! You would NEVER know!! I truly love the transformations you do and your blog! Thanks for sharing with us!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} May 15, 2012 at 6:56 pm #

awesome – thanks so, so much!!

4. Camille Mendel May 11, 2012 at 6:33 am #

Wow, what a transformation! Stupid question alert, but how do you paint the trim on an upholstered piece without being able to remove the fabric? I’m so new to all this, I guess I need it spelled out. You do such incredible work. If you ever need an apprentice, I’m your gal. :-)

5. Korrie@RedHenHome May 11, 2012 at 7:13 am #

Love the new look of the couch! It really is a great display with those bright pillows and the fun “hello” sign. You are *obviously* much more skilled with a jigsaw than I am!

6. Melissa @ No. 2 Pencil May 11, 2012 at 7:50 am #

I love that beautiful couch so much! It’s so rad!

Would you believe I just posted a tutorial for a big yellow hello sign?! I used a jigsaw too, but I used my Silhouette machine to cut a big template.

I think I need a red one now! I love it so much!!!

Claire from a little something in the meantime sent me over to check out your big red hello:0)

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} May 15, 2012 at 6:56 pm #

thats too funny!! Those signs are getting popular now :) By the way – im making me a yellow one!!

7. Christa @Stories of a House May 11, 2012 at 2:03 pm #

What amazing projects – you are a machine! The couch redo is one of the best I’ve ever seen. I LOVE the dropcloth look and the honeymilk color.Great job, as always!

8. Emily May 11, 2012 at 2:43 pm #

Love the couch and the sign. You are amazing! Will you email your upholsters number? I have a couple of chairs that need help!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} May 15, 2012 at 6:55 pm #

thanks!! ya, i will get his card tomorrow and get back with you :)

9. Angie May 12, 2012 at 6:02 am #

Wow. That looks amazing. I would love to find something like that for my living room. I love the colorful pillows against the neutral sofa. Nice job.
    Angie

10. Rhonda May 12, 2012 at 6:30 am #

That turned out fantastic – I love the look of the dropcloth and that paint color. I’m thinking it might be good for my new Craigslist dresser…

11. Vanessa May 12, 2012 at 9:35 am #

I love the couch! It’s turned out great and love the curves. My heart is skipping a beat over them. LOL Happy Mother’s Day.

Vanessa

12. Elissa May 12, 2012 at 10:05 am #

Hi Sausha friend- I LOVE THE COUCH!! LOVE IT!! Once I have a pretty rug and maybe some drapes behind it I’ll send you a pic. It’s so pretty thanks so much!

13. Melanie Fraim May 12, 2012 at 11:29 am #

Love the sofa redo! Where did you get the bright colored floral fabric on the pillow?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} May 15, 2012 at 6:55 pm #

so cute huh?! that pillow came from Pier 1

14. Doris May 12, 2012 at 5:43 pm #

Love that sofa and the “HELLO” sign

15. Leslie May 14, 2012 at 6:35 pm #

I saw the hello sign on Pinterest before I had a chance to view it here and felt like a proud parent telling my friends, “That’s MY hello sign in that picture!” Ha! You are one talented girl, let me tell ya!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} May 15, 2012 at 6:46 pm #

haha!! thanks so much :)

16. Leigh May 15, 2012 at 6:49 pm #

Sausha – greetings from New Zealand … I LOVE the hello sign … I’m new to your blog but I’ve seen some stunning ones “balance” … or “slowdown” etc – love your blog some ideas for me to add to mine.
    Take care

17. Andrew May 16, 2012 at 12:07 am #

Want to share with the rest of us what font you used for the hello sign?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} May 28, 2012 at 8:24 pm #

im sorry, i have no idea!! I downloaded a bunch and i dont know which one i ended up going with – sorry!!

18. Sandra Licher May 16, 2012 at 8:22 am #

I could kick myself as I had a couch like that and you’re right it was comfortable but I sold it as I don’t like French Provincial unless it’s done like yours! In fact I was going to do a plaid on it. I knew I didn’t have the money to reupholster and so I got rid of it but it was quality also and now I have nothing! LOL! Oh well, I’m moving hopefully too and the so the next stop is permanent and I’ll junk around for furniture to fit the house I get. You did a great job though! Love the sign too!
    Don’t feel bad about not blogging…I think Spring is a busy time for everyone! TTYL!

19. Jane Yearwood May 21, 2012 at 5:00 pm #

Can you give me the dimensions of the hello? Thanks. Love the couch!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} June 25, 2012 at 6:41 pm #

They measure 15 1/2 in tall and 30 1/4 in long! Really big!!

20. Rochelle May 22, 2012 at 9:08 pm #

Hi there Sausha. I’ve been following your blog since I saw you on the Nate show. In fact, I’ve caught up on all of your posts. I love the sofa, sign, and i just have a question where you found all the pillows on the sofa? They really compliment the look of the sofa and the colour of the sign. I read that the floral one was from pier 1, but just wondering about the others. Thanks.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} May 28, 2012 at 7:36 pm #

they are all from pier 1, besides the cream one with the coral/red embroidered design, which is from target. And they are all recent purchases, so you can still get them!!

21. Rebecca May 23, 2012 at 6:42 pm #

wow. you did a great job. you are so talented!! I love the idea of using something so affordable and as durable as drop cloth!!

22. Lindsey June 14, 2012 at 2:49 pm #

Hi! I would LOVE a “hello” sign. I didn’t see them listed in your shop – am I looking in the right spot or are they sold out? Thanks!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} June 25, 2012 at 6:17 pm #

nope, they are listed!! you may just have to scroll down further. If you send me an email with your zip code i can get you a shipping quote :)

23. lynn reisner June 15, 2012 at 3:14 pm #

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the barn wood behind the couch. adding the red hello just totally finishes it off!

24. Jessica June 24, 2012 at 9:17 pm #

wow! Painters drop clothe — who would have thought! What a great idea!

25. Tiare June 25, 2012 at 2:36 pm #

This is a beautiful arrangement. You really have a good eye for color….speaking of color, what color did you use to paint the ‘hello’ sign? I think I need something in my house painted that color. Thank you.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} June 25, 2012 at 5:59 pm #

its called Stop by sherwin williams -so fun!!

26. Kristin August 2, 2012 at 12:49 pm #

This is amazing. I love that couch, and drop cloths for fabric! Genius! I just recently cut out some wood arrows and have been wanting to do a word but wasn’t sure my jigsaw would handle it. This gives me courage and inspiration because that hello is adorable, especially on that background. Dropped by from whatever and will be sticking around to be inspired. :)

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} August 2, 2012 at 8:49 pm #

thanks so much!!

27. Claire October 5, 2012 at 5:20 pm #

I love those colors! I like the light blue with the pops of color on the couch…. that’s great. Do you remember where you got and what the wall color is?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} October 9, 2012 at 4:47 pm #

the wall color is just basic white, i believe its kwal howell high hide white – its just what the shop owner painted on before i moved in there. Your monitor must be showing it as blue, but its bright white :)

28. Amanda September 5, 2013 at 11:47 am #

What are the dimensions of the barn wood? Thanks!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} September 22, 2013 at 10:35 am #

I dont have the exact dimensions, but i believe its about 4×4 – its pretty big

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Palet reciclado en la pared | Decoración Hogar, Ideas y Cosas Bonitas para Decorar el Hogar - June 16, 2012

[…] sweetpickinsfurniture Archivado en: Reciclando […]

2. Hang Me Up « theblushchronicles - June 28, 2012

[…] ::source:: […]

3. The Tour Continues: Entryway « Growing Up Gillian - July 1, 2012

[…] via Sweet Pickins […]

4. Creating Artwork with a Cricut | Semi-DIY - October 30, 2012

[…] old duplex so I needed to get creative aka good at copying. I found these Pinterest inspirations: Hello sign from Sweet Pickins and Wake Up sign from Etsy. Then I pulled out my handy dandy […]

5. Here From The Fearful Adventurer? | a brave life - July 3, 2013