{Before & After} – Fun Yellow Dresser!

I was going through some old pics today and came across this dresser that i painted a while back.  I cant believe that i havent posted it yet, it was such a fun dresser!  I was originally going to paint it a bright white, but my cute friend Jenn of By The Way Jenn Gray needed a new buffet and this one worked, so she chose a fun yellow, so yellow  it was!!

This is a good solid piece that didnt need much work besides paint.  So i light sanded it and cleaned it.  I used a primer tinted to a dark brown (Valspar Brand).  Then i got to work painting the yellow!

Before…

After…painted, distressed and new hardware…

The 411

Color = Decisive Yellow by Sherwin Williams

Clear Coat = Varathane Brand (i think i used a satin finish)

Distressing Technique = as talked about in this post

*****

I also just listed a couple new things in the Sweet Pickins Shop!!

39 Responses to {Before & After} – Fun Yellow Dresser!

1. Jenn Gray March 17, 2012 at 6:23 pm #

love it love it love it, glad you posted it. I plan to post it on my blog as well.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 18, 2012 at 4:38 pm #

yup, that was a cute one!!

2. Fiona March 17, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

really nice distressing job there. i’m not a fan of yellow but you’ve painted it beautifully
    have a great weekend
    cheers Fiona

3. Chrissie March 17, 2012 at 7:49 pm #

Love this piece!

4. Diana @ AnyoneCanDecorate March 17, 2012 at 8:50 pm #

I always love your stuff! I’ve got me a few great new pieces to paint… now I just need to get out in my garage and do them :)

5. Heidi In Hawaii March 17, 2012 at 11:09 pm #

Such great ideas!!

6. rebecca March 18, 2012 at 4:16 am #

love it – and the the hardware. would you mind sharing where you found the hardware? I just redid a piece but hate the hardware it has.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 18, 2012 at 4:36 pm #

i just got those from Lowes

7. Kenzie March 18, 2012 at 10:07 am #

I am not a fan of yellow and I LOVE this. I am actually inspired to finish a piece yellow and have high hopes a client will request it soon! Love it.

8. Jen March 18, 2012 at 4:18 pm #

Wow it turned out gorgeous I have a question I have one I want to paint and the top has the shinny looking fake wood if you sand it real good will the paint stick? Thank you

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 18, 2012 at 4:36 pm #

ya, just sand it to give it some “tooth” for the paint to stick too and you should be fine. For pieces that are laminate, i normally use an adhesion primer from sherwin williams to make sure it will stick

9. Katrina March 18, 2012 at 4:45 pm #

I just love it! Can you tell me if you have a dvd out on refinishing furniture or did you recommend one from another blog or something?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 19, 2012 at 7:41 pm #

I dont have any type of dvd or anything, but Christa from Stories of a House has an awesome ebook about refinishing furniture, here is the link and you can find the info on it on her sidebar

10. Melanie March 18, 2012 at 4:57 pm #

Dumb question, but I am assuming you put the clear coat on after the distressing, right? And is it possible to get furniture to look good with a brush when painting if I can’t afford a spray gun?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 19, 2012 at 6:45 pm #

yes, clear coat after distressing. And you can for sure get a nice finish on paint with a brush, just use good paint and more importantly a good brush!

11. Patty Sumner March 18, 2012 at 5:13 pm #

You are so right…. this is a really nice redo. I love, love, love the yellow.
    Blessings!

12. Janet Lawson March 18, 2012 at 7:43 pm #

Very nice piece..You do wonderful work..Have a fabulous week..

13. Jen March 18, 2012 at 7:45 pm #

14. Amber March 19, 2012 at 9:03 am #

Love this! I am looking for something just like this for my daughters room. do you have another?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 19, 2012 at 6:44 pm #

sorry, i dont have anything similar!

15. Janet March 19, 2012 at 11:16 am #

I love this. I use S/W paint all the time. Can you tell me if you use a oil base or
    a water base paint and primer

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 19, 2012 at 6:43 pm #

everything i use is water based

16. Stephanie March 19, 2012 at 4:52 pm #

Great details on that buffet!

17. Kelley March 23, 2012 at 5:21 am #

Thank you so much for all the great tips. I’ve distressed alot of furniture but have always just used a sanding block and recently bought the Mouse sander. I’m looking very forward to trying another piece with your techinque – so thank you! Your stuff looks great! It doesn’t look like you use a stain on the sanded areas, is that correct? I’ve seen that done and have liked it but when I tried it…not so great. Just curious if you’ve tried it and found a way to make it look nice.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} April 16, 2012 at 2:13 pm #

thanks!!

I usually just use a dark primer underneath so when its distressed it looks like dark wood showing through

18. Rowena March 23, 2012 at 6:58 am #

Love the buffet. You do beautiful work. I’m just getting started in redoing furniture that I find. Its hard to do when I have 2 jobs but I do love garage sales and finding furniture that has been on the curb. Its crazy what some people throw away. Enjoy your blog and great tips on paints etc.

19. Kristine March 23, 2012 at 2:19 pm #

Gorgeous. Nice idea about the tinted brown primer. After being inspired by your work I recently repurposed a dresser into a tv console…but I sanded too far down in spots (with a sander) and the molding added to the bottom started off light in color so when we distressed it, we had more lighter wood coming through and not dark :( Any advice or would we have to start over.

20. Leslie March 23, 2012 at 5:01 pm #

It’s so beautiful! I didn’t think I’d like it painted, but you did such an awesome job! :)

21. Brittany aka Pretty Handy Girl March 31, 2012 at 9:19 pm #

Oh wow! I am in love with the color and the scroll details. Everything about it is gorgeous! I just saw that you will be speaking at SNAP during the same workshop. Can’t wait to meet you IRL!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} April 16, 2012 at 8:47 am #

I cant wait to meet you too!! I cant believe its only a few days away!!

22. Barb June 12, 2012 at 8:33 pm #

Hi Sausha,

Today I purchased the exact same dresser at my local thrift store. I can’t wait to paint it. I hope it turns out as fabulous as yours. Mine is missing three of the pulls. If you saved the pulls from your dresser, I would love to buy them from you.

Thanks,
    Barb

23. Dione May 28, 2013 at 2:54 pm #

I came across this by accident. But this is the exact dresser that my parents had while i was growing up and my mom just gave it to me a couple of months ago. I’m planning to do a high gloss white on it. Thanks for sharing!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} May 29, 2013 at 8:12 am #

white will be so pretty!

24. Darlene May 30, 2013 at 5:57 am #

Beautiful piece..Love it!! I have a midsize wardrobe with the exact same design and pulls pretty sure its from the same “dresser” family. Can you tell me by any chance do you know what year these dressers are from? Thank for sharing!!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The beginnings of a furniture redo | Canadian Coconut - March 2, 2013

[...] My inspiration piece can be found here. [...]

2. What color to paint your furniture? (25 DIY Projects) - Craftionary - March 13, 2013

[...] Yellow painted furniture. [...]

3. Colorful Furniture Makeovers - May 13, 2013

[...] Gorgeous Yellow Dresser from Sweet Pickins [...]

4. Breathing New Life Into Old Furniture – What Color Will You Paint It? - September 18, 2013

[…] When you repaint a piece of furniture, especially if it’s an antique, you don’t have to try making it look like new again because the design won’t allow you to. So you could give it a distressed finish like in this case.{found on sweetpickinsfurniture}. […]

5. 15+ Yellow Accent Furniture Pieces - The Contractor Chronicles - May 14, 2014

[…] Sweet Pickins […]