{Before & After} – small dresser

I got this cute little dresser about a year and a half ago from goodwill and just kept pushing it to the side because of its broken leg.  My plan was to buy 2 matching legs, but reattaching them would be tricky.  So the other day, i had to get this thing done and out of my way – so we got out the jig saw and cut all the legs off!!  Now its a cute little dresser – i actually think it would make a perfect nightstand :)

Before…busted up leg…

Then i painted it Ivoire by Sherwin Williams.  Its a light buttery yellow that would be great for walls, but its kinda boring as is for furniture.  So i distressed it and then glazed it with a dark brown stain.  See the difference the distressing/glaze makes?  oooh lala :)

After all was painted and the original hardware updated with oil rubbed bronze spray paint – it looks like this!  I love it!

Love the distressing on this one!!

the 411

color = Ivoire by SW

glaze = van dyke brown glaze by SW (oil based)

clear coat = Wood Classics gloss by SW

top stain color = Kona by Rustoleum

This little dresser was just listed in the Sweet Pickins Shop as well as these 2 other pieces!  (before & after posts on them coming soon!)

Vintage Cabinet

Wood Cabinet

36 Responses to {Before & After} – small dresser

1. Diana Lorenz February 7, 2012 at 11:09 pm #

I always love your staging of pieces. That globe goes so well with the dresser!!!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} February 7, 2012 at 11:13 pm #

i know huh?! the color is almost the same! Thanks so much!!

2. Megan *Stay Sew Creative* February 8, 2012 at 5:56 am #

I love the color and finish on all of them, but particularly on the 2 drawer wood cabinet. Beautiful! Could you give me the 411 on what you did to it? If you already posted that info, just point me in the right direction. Thanks so much!

3. Deb Owen February 8, 2012 at 6:22 am #

LOVE that dresser! It would make a great side table or nightstand. Pretty, pretty color.

4. michelle February 8, 2012 at 6:57 am #

WOW!! Love what you did, gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing colors too, love that !

5. Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. February 8, 2012 at 7:23 am #

Oh how pretty! It now has a wonderful aged feel!

6. Tracy February 8, 2012 at 7:34 am #

Gorgeous pieces. I absolutely love the 2 cabinets…although i am sure I could find a use for that cute dresser as well.

Can’t wait for the posts on the cabinets, I have 2 pieces I am waiting to redo because I can’t make up my mind on paint color/type but I think I may have just found it in the bottom one….or maybe both!

7. Michael - Innkeeper February 8, 2012 at 7:47 am #

Wow! These are fantastic!

Love the colors you’ve chosen and the displays are fierce! Just love!

8. Desha Perez February 8, 2012 at 8:10 am #

Love love love! Your pieces are always gorgeous and so very inspiring! I actually just refinished my first piece of furniture last weekend. I am CLEARLY an amateur, but boy was it fun! I have a house full of hand me down furniture, so I am going to have a field day once I get the hang of this. Thanks for your posts! They give me hope!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} February 11, 2012 at 2:37 pm #

awesome – have fun with all those!!

9. Chelsea A February 8, 2012 at 9:42 am #

I love your befores and afters!

Question for you – what’s the color on the little blue cabinet? The squatty one, not the tall one.

Love that color. Thanks!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} February 11, 2012 at 2:37 pm #

actually, those cabinets are the same color!! but the squatty one has a brown glaze over it!!

10. Leah February 8, 2012 at 1:03 pm #

Oh how I love the distressing on this one! So nice and the stain too on top to. Very nice piece!!!!

11. Susan February 8, 2012 at 1:52 pm #

I’m in awe of your work and trying to do a few pieces of my own….but I’m confused about the brown glaze…you can put it on top of the Ivoire ?

Thanks!!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} February 11, 2012 at 2:35 pm #

yes, the glaze goes over the paint :)

12. Fiona February 8, 2012 at 1:55 pm #

Hi Sausha
    What a good idea. It does look very sweet and I love those other 2 as well. Hope they sell quickly for you.
    Cheers Fiona

13. Janet Lawson February 8, 2012 at 6:55 pm #

WOW..
    I love all of the furniture pieces especially the dresser with the legs cut off..

14. jeanne February 9, 2012 at 4:14 pm #

too cute….great idea cutting off the legs!

15. Sandra Licher February 9, 2012 at 4:26 pm #

I love that color! Thanks for listing the paints and stains you use. I have some unmatched cupboards in my kitchen and I was going to do something to them to go with my almond appliances….don’t worry, I’ll test it first! But either way, i love the color and the way it turned out. Darling!

16. Vanessa February 10, 2012 at 6:33 am #

Hi, Sausha

I found your lovely blog through Pinterest. I love looking around and I just love the color on this piece of furniture. Its lovely. I am a new follower. I would love for you to stop by http://www.homesweetbutterfly.com

Have a great weekend.

Vanessa

17. Genevieve February 13, 2012 at 7:48 am #

I am so happy to have come across your website. I found it through Pinterest. You are unbelievable. Thank you for sharing all you do. Your work is outstanding, I love it all.

18. April March 7, 2012 at 8:57 pm #

I am new to your blog! I absolutely love every piece of furniture you have done!!!! I am new to distressing furniture by myself and I had a question for you. The glaze you bought from sherwin williams did you have to mix that with anything else? And also the top stain color did you use spray paint or actual paint?!!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 19, 2012 at 7:49 pm #

the glaze i used on that one is pre-mixed, you may have to get that one from a commercial SW store. The top is a stain that you just wipe on and it stains the wood, no paint on the top :)

19. sue March 10, 2012 at 10:32 am #

Hi… I just watched you on Nate Berkus, a rerun for a Saturday. This time I taped it! I absolutely love your style of furniture. I’ve always wanted to do a piece of furniture with the distressed look but never knew how to achieve that goal. My husband is a big Kilz primer fellow so I never know how to make the kilz work for your type of distressed look. My burning question is do you prime the wood pieces first with a Kilz type product? What kind of prep work do you do on your pieces?

Thanks so much! Sue from Michigan.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 17, 2012 at 1:41 pm #

thanks!!

I sometimes use kilz, but i dont like to see a white primer when its distressed so i use valspar primer tinted to a dark brown

As far as prepping before paint, i normally just light sand, clean, primer and then paint!!

20. Pama Webb March 14, 2012 at 4:52 am #

I usually refinish furniture back to its before state and so I am new at painting furniture. I love your technique of staining after painting with some distressing. My question is can I paint with a latex such as Behr and then stain over with Minwax which is an oil base? I thought this was a no no. Thanks for your help and I love your site.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 17, 2012 at 1:34 pm #

yup, you can use oil over latex, just not the other way around. I have done this on lots of furniture and for the most part all the stain is being wiped away, and i have never had any issues :)

21. Angie March 16, 2012 at 2:38 pm #

I just saw you on a repeat episode of the “Nate Berkus” show that I recorded last week and just got around to watching this afternoon. I don’t know when the show originally aired (you refinished a trunk for Nate from Goodwill, replacing the handle with rope and painting the number 74 on it, ADORABLE!!) I think sometime last fall, maybe? I was in awe of your “house proud” segment, your home is fantastic! And your DYI projects are really great. Anyway, I found your web-site and wanted to tell you that you have a new fan! Keep up the beautiful work!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 17, 2012 at 1:17 pm #

thanks so much for such a sweet comment!!!

22. maretta December 2, 2012 at 4:52 pm #

I have used some brewax when working on some old pieces, I look the look it gives but it shows ring stains bad when someone sets a wet glass down, Any suggestions to a finish more durable but not a shiny finish, something looks more primitive?Thanks in advance for your help

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} December 6, 2012 at 10:54 am #

Are you talking over stained or painted wood?

• maretta December 6, 2012 at 12:24 pm #

I have a few wooden pieces that are just raw wood, I like to paint parts and just brewax the tops, I really like the look but I dont like that the tops show water rings so badly.Would love to get that primitive look without the water marks

23. Christina May 8, 2013 at 2:55 pm #

Do you sand sand sand (distressing it) and then paint with for instance color of choice and then wipe off excess or leave as is with color everywhere. And then do you put stain on and wipe entire piece down to get stain only on areas distressed??? What do you recommend to do for a tv stand I want black primitive; what color on bottom and what color stain look best overtop per your experience…? Any and all help is appreciated.

24. Suni September 21, 2013 at 3:59 pm #

How do you think it would do to do a Kilz primer over a stained wood, then the van dyke brown directly on the white primer? I would also distress it before the glaze.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} September 22, 2013 at 10:28 am #

I think the primer would be too porous/flat and you would have a hard time making the glaze look even – i think it would end up blotchy

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Paint It Soulful with Velvet Finishes November Colour of the Month - Design Asylum Blog | by Kellie Smith - November 1, 2016

[…] via Sweet Pickins […]