{Kitchen Island Re-Do}–before & after

My kitchen island is a project that I have wanted to get done for a while and I can finally cross that off my to-do list.

My island before was pretty basic, although it did have beadboard wrapped around it.  But it was nothin special, just kinda builder boring.

I wanted to customize the island by adding some molding and some posts.  Lucky for me I got some posts for free so that saved me a few bucks, and they were the perfect size :)

before…

DSC_0002

I started by adding some baseboard molding around the entire island.  I had to pop off the corner trim put on by the builder.

DSC_0009

DSC_0010

The back side of the island used to have the toe kick, but I wanted it to look custom and more like a piece of furniture.  So to get the baseboard trim to wrap around, I had to use the table saw to cut off about an inch so it wouldn’t hit the cabinet doors.

DSC_0011

DSC_0025

Next, I took some pre-cut poplar strips from lowes in 3 1/2 in widths and framed out the sides and back.  Santi also had to move over the outlet so it wouldn’t get in the way of the molding, while he was at it, we swapped it out for a black outlet and black cover.

DSC_0012

Where the corbels were, I just used the jigsaw and cut those to fit

DSC_0014

Then I put the posts on.  I just used some liquid nail on the top and bottom of each post so they arent going anywhere.  I also nailed them to the wood floor and to the wood that is under the granite.  I thought about adding some trim around the base of the posts, im still undecided on that…

DSC_0021

After all that was done, we sanded down the doors and used my paint sprayer to paint those.  The rest of the island was painted just using a good brush and SW All Purpose Enamel in Tri-Corn black in a satin finish.  The paint went on awesome, and you can hardly see any brush marks.  I didn’t prime the island itself, just light sanded it and cleaned it well.  The doors were primed with an adhesion primer from Sherwin Williams, just because they will get a lot of use.  And if you read my last paragraph you will know why I decided not to clear coat it at this time…

And after…

DSC_0039

See all the dust already!!  Its only been done a week!

DSC_0030

DSC_0033

DSC_0037

DSC_0043

DSC_0048

DSC_0054

DSC_0041

So, that was my 1st project of 2012!  Its one of many that I need to get done – the list is long!  And, I have never liked the darker cream of my cabinets, they look lighter in pics than they really are.  So soon I will be painting my cabinets a lighter cream, cant wait for that!  You can see in the pic below how much lighter they will be with this sample cabinet I painted.

DSC_0049

SO – I love the way the island turned out, the molding looks awesome and changes it from builder boring to custom – BUT, I don’t know if I am loving the black!!  IT kinda looks heavy to me and I really want a lighter feel to my house.  SO – should I paint it the lighter cream of the rest of my cabinets when those get done?  I cant decide!!  I think I will live with it for a while and see – I do seem to change my mind about a lot of things from week to week!!

*and sorry for the crappy pics – it was a gloomy day here, but this is the only day that my house has been half way clean!!*

72 Responses to {Kitchen Island Re-Do}–before & after

1. AVHalls January 9, 2012 at 6:25 am #

Love how it turned out! and I do like the black, it goes well with the rest f the kitchen.

2. House of Smiths January 9, 2012 at 7:27 am #

Oh my gosh!!!! You're going to DIE when you see what we've been working on! LOL! Why do we always think so alike!? … Seriously, I think we hatched from the same egg :)
    I may or may not be calling you soon to have you paint some island cabinets. Ha!… Now if I could just decide on the color…

3. Lissa Leigh January 9, 2012 at 7:28 am #

I think my vote is all white!!!! I just think it's classic and you can't go wrong with that! It'll stand the test of time longer than the black island will;)

4. Tyrell January 9, 2012 at 7:37 am #

I LOOOOVVVVVEEEEE the black! It looks so good and you are genius for thinking of it! It is a little heavy but your house/kitchen looks so big that it almost doesn't matter.

(I'm sure while will look great too but I can't get over how amazing the black looks)

5. Becca January 9, 2012 at 7:39 am #

I think the black looks FanTastTic! Love it. Of course, with the cabinets painted it may look totally different. But for now- top notch results- as usual! Great job!

6. Miranda January 9, 2012 at 7:48 am #

I love it! If it were me, I would leave the island for now and wait until the other cabinets are painted. I personally love the black, and living with something for a while is helpful in deciding whether you love it or not.

You did a great job.

7. Elizabeth January 9, 2012 at 8:01 am #

The black looks gorgeous!!! I love the look of black & white cabinets mixed.

8. jcreviston January 9, 2012 at 12:13 pm #

I love the black island!!!!

I had creamish/yellow cabinets when I moved into my home.. I hate them. I just used your recipe for stain and glaze and fixed that issue.

I love your island… makes the cogs in my head start working for my own island!

9. Anonymous January 9, 2012 at 12:17 pm #

I have black and white cabinets and I love the look but hate how the black shows the dirt and finger marks more. My black cabinets have white/grey c/top and my white have black/white c/top so I like the blend. I would say for your's to see how much traffic it gets and if you like all the scuffs, etc that shows up. It looks great with the table more than I think white would. Great job!!

10. rachel @ gilly grey January 9, 2012 at 12:18 pm #

Oooh, that's a toughie! I know exactly what you mean about changing your mind from week to week. That's exactly how my brain works too. I love the black on this even though I usually go with white all the way! I really like the contrast the black island brings with the rest of the kitchen. I think the only thing that's throwing me off is that the kitchen table is dark as well. Honestly, I think it will look great either way!

Rachel
    xoxo

11. Mandy January 9, 2012 at 12:38 pm #

That (the painting) is exactly what I want to do to my island…it's stained brown, looks blah! I think the black looks AWESOME & will make your lighter cabinets really pop!

Great (as always) job! :)

12. Kandlestix January 9, 2012 at 12:55 pm #

I love how custom the island turned out. I think that the darkness of the island and the lights color on the cabinets will be just the right contrast. Can't wait to see it finished!

13. Heather January 9, 2012 at 1:16 pm #

I did the same thing this weekend! You are an inspiration! Great job!

14. ohiofarmgirl January 9, 2012 at 1:30 pm #

Wow, What a difference. I am just wishing I had an island…let alone do a make-over on it!! Your cabinets are going to be beautiful! Dianntha

15. Marie January 9, 2012 at 1:42 pm #

Gorgeous kitchen :)

16. Sawdust and Paperscraps January 9, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

Love the moulding and the black!

17. April @ The Painted Cupboard January 9, 2012 at 1:50 pm #

Sausha, it looks AMAZING!!! I love the black! I could see how you would think the black could look a little heavy but, I think it looks great no matter what! Great job :)

18. Kimmy G January 9, 2012 at 2:02 pm #

I love the black and think it turned out great. I like the contrast with the cabinets as they are – the "new" color may be too light against the island.

19. Pine Tree Home January 9, 2012 at 2:03 pm #

Great job. I do like the black and white contrast. If you absolutely hate the black, try painting the island a muted color, like sage blue or gray. That way you still have contrast, but the island stands out. I love what you did with the molding by the cabinet doors. Genius. I wish I knew this when I constructed my island. I'd love to have mine looking like this!

20. Anonymous January 9, 2012 at 2:08 pm #

I like the black too, with the lighter countertops it is a nice contrast!

21. April & Michael January 9, 2012 at 2:26 pm #

I love your kitchen and that island is AWESOME! My vote is to stick with the black at least until you get your cabinets painted b/c you might like it better with the lighter cabinets. I love when cabinets and islands don't match. If you have time can you tell me where you bought your kitchen table? It is just my style.

22. April & Michael January 9, 2012 at 2:26 pm #

23. Sarah January 9, 2012 at 2:49 pm #

It looks amazing! But I know exactly what you mean about it feeling heavy. That's where I am with our house too… I want everything light! Paint the rest of the cabinets, and then see!

24. Adrienne January 9, 2012 at 3:22 pm #

Unbelievable! That island is just gorgeous, what a transformation!

25. Korrie@RedHenHome January 9, 2012 at 3:25 pm #

The island looks beautiful. I like the black, but I can understand that next to the black table it may look heavy. But I do love the look of the contrast. Is there another color you could consider using? Like maybe a pale sage green or something?

26. janet January 9, 2012 at 3:43 pm #

Oh my what a transformation..It looks beautiful..

27. Reenie January 9, 2012 at 3:49 pm #

I love the contrast of the black and white, and the black island matches your table. I agree with another poster, paint your cabinets first…and then decide.

Your kitchen is beautiful. :)

28. Sandee January 9, 2012 at 3:52 pm #

Ooo, I love it! Although if it were me I'd probably go all white! Is that the sample cabinet you said you painted with the B.M. White Dove paint from my barn door? Your island reminds me a lot of what we did with ours minus the legs. It looks so good!!! Can't wait to see the rest of the cabinets repainted! :)

29. Jenn Gray January 9, 2012 at 4:22 pm #

Chick that looks awesome. Blends well into the dining room. LOVE.

30. Jen-CraftOManiac January 9, 2012 at 5:11 pm #

I think it looks GREAT! You do such amazing work. If you feel like its heavy, I think to lighten it up so its not black on black, paint the bar stools the same color as your cabinets. You could even do that with your kitchen chairs then you have a fun matching contrast going on. All in all, love the chunky legs you gave the bar. xo, jen

31. Stephanie Walker January 9, 2012 at 7:56 pm #

I really like the black!! If it's too dark for you I would suggest doing at least a different color than the cabinets. I like the contrast of the two different colors. I've seen pretty shades of green or a gray color would look great too. Your kitchen looks great!!!

32. heidi January 9, 2012 at 8:19 pm #

Love the look of your island. I'm just wishing I had one I could do the same thing to.
    I'm like you, trying to get my house to be light and airy looking and feeling. But I think once you paint the cabinets the lighter color the black island won't seem heavy at all.

33. Christa @ Stories of a House January 9, 2012 at 9:22 pm #

Well I personally am in LOVE with the black. It is unexpected and gives the eye something to land on. But, I know you are a light and airy girl, so you must do what makes you happy. The lighter white cabinets will look wonderful, too!

34. Nanci January 9, 2012 at 9:36 pm #

I really really like the black and then when I read that you really like a lighter look for your house, I was surprised you painted it black. I say live with a while and see after you paint the rest of the cabinets while. You may find it grounds the space. You did an amazing job to a hum drum island…I'm impressed.

35. Anonymous January 9, 2012 at 10:00 pm #

I Love, Love, Love the look. Really makes the island stand out. I would have to see another picture of your living room, if I remember right your living room is light and airy? Maybe when you look at both room together you think the black is to heavy?

36. Christina January 10, 2012 at 12:12 am #

GORGEOUS!!

37. Anonymous January 10, 2012 at 1:07 am #

I love the barstools and the table-where did you find those?

(I like the black)

38. Jan January 10, 2012 at 4:52 am #

Grrreat job! Your workmanship is superb. And the black is rich! Please don't change the color yet. Live with it for a while. IF you paint it over, consider another color, perhaps a few shades darker than your cabinets. Personally, I'd keep the black. Really, really nice!

39. Anonymous January 10, 2012 at 12:24 pm #

I really love the island and I was wondering what a pot rack would look like hanging over the island? I just love mine and it gives me a ton of storage.I saw one made out of gas pipe that was really neat with s hooks for hanging pots and pans.You are so very talented and I really love all your ideas.Thank you for all your wonderful ideas.

40. Val January 10, 2012 at 6:20 pm #

No no no no! Don't paint the island! Once you paint the cabinets it will look perfect with them, the black will make it pop all the more and keep it from looking to… creamy :)

41. April January 11, 2012 at 4:52 am #

love it but what about a green color?

42. Erin {Lavender and Lemon Drops} January 12, 2012 at 9:47 am #

LOVE the island! I would wait until you have your other cabinets painted before you change your island color. It might give you the light feel your after ;)

43. porter place cottage January 12, 2012 at 9:05 pm #

I love the black! I like the contrast and I love color in my life. I've tried the all white and I can never get used to it! The only other thing that would be even cooler, is if you painted it out a green to match the door you put in your kitchen the white over it and heavly destressed it, so alot of that green is peeking out! You do such great work, I'm sure whatever you come up with will be amazing though!!

44. Liz Anderson January 14, 2012 at 7:12 am #

I love the re-do. Black and white is so classic. I think the island looks great as is, but I do believe painting it would achieve that lightness you want. I do think either way you would love it. paint the cabinets first to see what it looks like, photograph it too. BTW, where is a good place to get posts?? I have been wanting some but they need to be tall since they would be for my island as well.

45. . January 14, 2012 at 1:21 pm #

You did an amazing job! It really does look custom now.

Personally I love the black, but I can see where if you were looking to lighten up you would think it felt heavy. If you decide to change it I would definitely stick with an accent color, instead of painting it the same color as the cabinets. I think going with white on the island would take away from that custom built look you are after.

46. Bliss January 14, 2012 at 4:31 pm #

I like the black, but I think I would probably like the light color too. I just wish I was brave enough to do either! My fear is what if after I paint dark or light, what if I liked the wood better? What's really worse for Mr. Bliss, is that after looking at your picture I'm thinking maybe I want to take a wall out to open my kitchen up to my dining room. I haven't figured out how I can say, "by the way I want to paint the island black, so can you knock out that wall for me honey?"

New follower
    ~Bliss~
    BlissRanch.blogspot.com

47. Doris January 14, 2012 at 4:48 pm #

Nice job on the island make over and a beautiful kitchen ~ Every room benefits from a little black!

48. Kortney January 16, 2012 at 8:46 pm #

Love the new look! Where did you find the post? I am in need of some and can't find any. Any ideas?

49. Linda Leyble January 16, 2012 at 10:11 pm #

That's really great. The black is spectacular. I'm off to check out more of your blog!

Linda

50. New to farmlife January 19, 2012 at 8:48 pm #

Love it! I do like the black, I think it makes it 'pop', maybe when you paint the cabinets it will look a little differnt. I could see a deep red also :)

51. Dawn January 31, 2012 at 11:10 am #

I love the black, you have soooo much white! Lol. It accents your table. Where did you get your table? I have almost the same one and I would love the bench you have?

52. Angela January 31, 2012 at 3:49 pm #

I like the black. If you have little ones, they’ll be constantly kicking that back panel getting smudges and dirt all over it. Even adults will occasionally hit it when they cross their legs and such. You won’t be able to see that with black. It’ll just look distressed which is not a bag thing. Plus I like the contrast.

53. Alena January 31, 2012 at 11:38 am #

We have the same floor plan- cambridge! I love what you did. You have inspired me to make some changes and not be afraid to paint cabinets! Beautiful!

54. Joanne January 31, 2012 at 6:42 pm #

LLLOVE IT! What a fabulous job!

55. Celeste Berkley February 25, 2012 at 4:28 am #

what about an aqua? or teal or something that contrasts but pops and is not so dark but also not the same color as the cabinets? if you dont like that idea then the same color is what I would choose when you paint the cabinets lighter. very very nice by the way.

56. Leigh Ann February 28, 2012 at 9:36 am #

Love the island! Where did you get the barstools?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} February 28, 2012 at 8:21 pm #

we bought those years ago from Gardner Village in WJ, UT

57. ruth March 28, 2012 at 1:22 pm #

I am going to do this with my island! I love it! Also..where did you get your kitchen table? Super cute!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} April 16, 2012 at 8:48 am #

i got that from Vintage Oak in SLC, UT

58. Sherre April 16, 2012 at 7:40 am #

I love the black island, I think it anchors the kitchen. Do you think going white on the cabinets would be too stark with your granite? I love the cream, or any color than the white. You did a wonderful job!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} April 16, 2012 at 8:38 am #

i agree,white would be too stark and sometimes looks cheap, so i will go with a lighter cream than what i have now :)

59. Ashley November 7, 2012 at 6:56 pm #

Looks great! We’re currently working on the kitchen in our new home & will be constructing an island from stock cabinets & trim/moldings. Love the look of the legs on the island! One question: is your countertop a solid slab of granite? Or some sort of granite piece that is over an existing counter or top? Someone told us to look into something like that, but I’ve only ever had solid slabs of granite, so not sure how that works.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} November 20, 2012 at 8:28 am #

our countertop is a solid slab. I think the way your referring too, is if there was a kitchen remodel they can cut down on the cost by just laying a thin piece of granite over your old countertop

60. Stephanie March 9, 2013 at 7:01 am #

I really like your island. Can you give me the measurements?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 12, 2013 at 1:54 pm #

its about 6ftx3ft

61. Hilary March 16, 2013 at 10:39 am #

Where did you find the posts? Can you tell me the width on them (on the square part)? Thank you!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 18, 2013 at 9:05 pm #

those were some freebies, but i have seen something similar @ lowes. The square parts are 4×4

62. Denise Yewcic April 11, 2013 at 5:52 pm #

I love everything about your kitchen!!!!!!! Actually the whole house. What is the name of the granite in your kitchen? Thanks for all your ideas!!!!!!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} April 17, 2013 at 7:30 am #

thanks! Sorry – cant remember the name of the granite, but it is a common one so i dont think you would have any trouble finding it :)

63. Everyone loves what you guys are usually up too.
    This kind of clever work and reporting! Keep up the terrific works guys I’ve added you guys to our blogroll.

64. how to jailbreak iphone 3gs October 17, 2013 at 10:16 am #

Ahaa, its good conversation concerning this paragraph at this place at this blog, I have read all that, so at this time me also
    commenting here.