{Before & After}–Refinished Piano

This was one of the most intimidating projects I have taken on.  I never had a piano, never really “inspected” one and didn’t really have a clue as to what was goin on inside of one.  Until now – now I’m good to go on some more piano painting!!  It was actually kinda fun getting to know the “innards” of a piano :)

I started with this cool old upright piano that hadn’t been getting any use, this thing was almost a hundred years old!!  My client had her mom (the sweetest lady!) deliver the piano to me so it could be prettied up and then my clients husband drove all the way from another state to pick it up and take it home with them!!

Anyways – the piano was in good shape, but kinda plain.  We got it all sanded down and ready for paint.

IMAG0564

I bought these wooden appliques from Lowes, put the biggest one in the middle, and then a little one on each corner.  I also framed out the large applique with some decorative molding.

IMAG0565

IMAG0566

Then I started disassembling the piano to paint it.   I thought I got pics of it taken apart but I guess I didn’t it.  I took off the back part (where the molding is), then I took off the little sidebars where the back part hooks in, the key cover, and the keys.  There was no way that I could just tape around it to paint it, the whole thing had to come apart.  That’s where I used to be intimidated, but not anymore!!  I started just taking out piece by piece and it was pretty easy.

Then I taped up the guts of the piano so I didn’t get that painted and started spraying it.

IMAG0584

After a coat of primer, 2 coats of paint, a little distressing and a clear coat, I reassembled everything and got it all back in the right spot – pheww!!  Luckily the keys were numbered so all those just went back in order.

DSC_0002

Then after it was all done – it turned out like this.  I love it!!  How fun is this color too?!

DSC_0019

DSC_0020

DSC_0026

DSC_0028

DSC_0033

I so want a piano now!!  My daughter loved having it at the shop and was so sad to see it go – she got a keyboard for Christmas and has learned a couple songs, so it was fun seeing her play her new tunes on a “real” piano :)  Plus they just look so cute!!

the 411 = color is Calico by Sherwin Williams in a satin finish.  Poly I used is a gloss finish by SW Wood Classics (water based).

Anyone refinished a piano?  I would love to see it!!!

71 Responses to {Before & After}–Refinished Piano

1. Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage January 27, 2012 at 4:44 am #

>Oh my goodness….this is one of the most fantastic transformations I have ever seen!! The piano is so beautiful now! A real show stopper!

2. Bliss January 27, 2012 at 4:49 am #

>I have to take a photo tomorrow of our piano that is in the garage. I think it's one and the same as yours…… to think it could look like that, hmmmm.

Bliss

3. Michelle January 27, 2012 at 4:54 am #

>You are so talented! I love the transformation. Also, the patience you have to take it all apart and do it the right way is great, I'm sure a lot of people (me) would try to tape it and paint it. Did you spraypaint it or hand paint it?

4. DallyGirl @ Lifeat2810 January 27, 2012 at 5:03 am #

>Now that is one rockin' piano! I want it and I don't know how to even play!!

5. Candice January 27, 2012 at 5:04 am #

>So beautiful! I want a piano really bad and now a plain wood stained one just will not do!!

6. wendy January 27, 2012 at 5:16 am #

>that looks incredible!!
    and looks monumentaly impossible for me

my sister has my parents old Player Piano, it would look amazing to redo
    I don't know if I woud dare attempt it
    I mean…did you take the keys out????

7. Emily January 27, 2012 at 5:25 am #

>I want to refinish mine. I have it all sanded down, but was wondering what you did for the hinges and pedals? How did you get them to shine? Any help would be appreciated! :)

8. {We Are The Wade's} January 27, 2012 at 5:35 am #

>YOU are seriously amazing at what you do!! I LOVE it!! Great color too!

9. *Shabby LOCO!* January 27, 2012 at 6:38 am #

>That is SICK!
    Great Job!!

10. Pryors January 27, 2012 at 6:41 am #

>Holy cow I had no idea you took it all apart!! I was wondering how you did it. You did an amazing job and I love my piano! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! It was good to know it was in good hands and I completely trusted you (even if we have never met) because you are so talented and have great taste. I cant wait for my cedar chest and desk! Thanks again, I am so happy with it.

11. jane January 27, 2012 at 7:02 am #

>Dear Sausha,

So excited and happy to see the pictures. Again, I cried. I'm so thrilled to see this cherished piece come back to life. It has been in my family for 4 generations. Now it will be 5 as my grandchildren learn on it.Thank you for being so meticulous. It's beautiful. Excited to see the other pieces and enjoyed meeting you and your cute family. Love it!!!

12. jane January 27, 2012 at 7:03 am #

>Dear Sausha,

13. Erin {Lavender and Lemon Drops} January 27, 2012 at 8:09 am #

>WOWZA! You freakin rock! It looks amazing :)

14. Rhonda January 27, 2012 at 11:28 am #

>That is incredible! Makes me want to drive to my dad's house ASAP to pick up our old piano!

15. Shelley {Crazy Wonderful} January 27, 2012 at 2:12 pm #

>That is truly amazing. I have a piano I'm dying to refinish, and this is so inspiring!

16. Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. January 27, 2012 at 2:56 pm #

>That is sooo gorgeous! And you are sooo brave to take on the challenge! Well done!

17. Sam I Am...... January 27, 2012 at 3:51 pm #

>No…but I've been carrying one around with me for years, half taken apart that I was going to redo and still haven't. I need to get one of those wheeled things you have and have some one come over and out it on there for me so I can work on it this summer. I feel braver now that you've done that! I was afraid to take it apart for fear I'd never get it back together again! LOL! But right now it's just sitting so what do I have to lose. Also, could you tell me what brand and type of spray painter you use? I have so much to do around here and I need one but hate to invest without professional advice! I would sure appreciate the info! Thanks and keep up the GREAT work! It looks gorgeous! When I do mine I'll send you before and after pics!

18. Krista January 27, 2012 at 4:52 pm #

>This is amazing…makes me wish I actually knew how to play so I could have a reasonable excuse to have this in my house. Just. Beautiful.

19. Raven January 27, 2012 at 4:57 pm #

>This is awesome!!! i love all of your work!! My friend and I were just talking about how she needed to find an old piano to redo. I HAVE to show her this one!! Great job!!!!

Did you spray this?

20. lifespassion January 27, 2012 at 6:24 pm #

>That is beautiful and one of my favorite colors! Great job!

21. Christina January 27, 2012 at 6:43 pm #

>Looks amazing!
    great job!
    xo

22. Becky January 27, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

>Just beautiful–really! Love the color and especially the wooden trim pieces. They really added the right touch to this project. Thanks for sharing!

23. Alli (and Tommy too!) January 27, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

>Holy gorgeous! Great job :)

24. The Wade's January 27, 2012 at 7:04 pm #

>Wowsers- this is AMAZING!I want to do it to mine now!

25. Michele January 27, 2012 at 8:22 pm #

>I refinished a piano! Didn't have the nerve to take it apart thought. It came out pretty good and sold in less than two months. http://www.knottooshabbyfurnishings.com/2011/11/piano-project-completed.html

26. Christa @ Stories of a House January 27, 2012 at 10:32 pm #

>The most beautiful piano and transformation I've ever seen! You were so smart to add the appliques. You rock, girl!

27. Tonya January 27, 2012 at 11:07 pm #

>Ok, you are CRAZY amazing!! I would never dare!!!

28. Elisa January 27, 2012 at 11:56 pm #

>What a HUGE project! I would have been so intimidated! Good for you – it looks so fantastic. Thanks for sharing with us!

29. janet January 28, 2012 at 1:04 am #

>Holy Cow..I love it..You did an awesome job and I love the added detail you gave it..

30. Mr. Smith January 28, 2012 at 3:49 am #

>I love it – edgy!

31. Unknown January 28, 2012 at 12:13 pm #

>This is so crazy beautiful!

Not even joking You've managed to combine two of my favorite things: pianos with unique details and the perfect shade of aqua.

SO well done!

I would be absolutely THRILLED if you would stop over at my place and link this up to Feature Friday FREE-FOR-ALL…going on right now!:

So looking forward to seeing you there!

P.S. I’m a new follower. : )

~Abbie

32. Abbie January 28, 2012 at 12:16 pm #

>Oops! Wasn't signed in. It's Abbie from Five days…5 ways raving about your piano and inviting you to share! : )

33. Stacey January 28, 2012 at 4:56 pm #

>Wow looks incredible. We have that exact same piano..and I've been wanting to paint it for years…but the soundboard is cracked and it's going to the curb in a few months when we put our hardwood floors down. This piano painting still looks very intimidating to me…but maybe when we get a new/old piano that can actually keep a tune…I'll be a little more adventurous with getting my piano paint on! Thanks for sharing!

34. B's Mommy January 28, 2012 at 7:38 pm #

>Yours is by far the BEST!!! I wish it was for sale! YOU are so talented!!
    Your piano pops up all over google images. The only one I could find is: http://www.allthingsthrifty.com/2010/08/piano-refinishing-complete.html
    No comparison.

35. Nelly @ Brown Girl Decorating January 29, 2012 at 11:44 am #

>What a great transformation this is. You are a brave woman to takle a piano. I love the result. It makes me feel I can takle a simple downstairs toilet redo too.

36. Vickie @ Ranger 911 January 29, 2012 at 6:35 pm #

>OMG! I have a very similar paino that I refinished years ago and now I want to paint mine too! You did a wonderful job and the paint color is gorgeous. Visiting from FJI.

37. Anonymous January 29, 2012 at 8:33 pm #

>Oh my gosh, that is one SPECTACULAR piano! I don't believe I would have been able to part with it!

Kaille

38. Heaven's Walk January 29, 2012 at 10:15 pm #

>Ok…..I'm totally speechless, Sausha! WOW!!! Talk about taking on a huge project that turned out gorgeously!!!! Way to go! :)

xoxo laurie

39. Toodie January 30, 2012 at 12:50 am #

>I love it!

40. Tova January 30, 2012 at 3:01 pm #

>I did mine in a vibrant teal- best color ever.

41. lisaroyhandbags January 30, 2012 at 6:35 pm #

>so beautiful! My parents have a piano they are intending on passing down to me – I SO want to paint it now!

42. Kacey January 30, 2012 at 10:09 pm #

>It looks fabulous! Wow!!! Love that color.

43. Suzanne January 31, 2012 at 2:24 pm #

Great jot. I love the color. I painted a piano very similar to this one, back in the 60s. I took it all apart and spray painted it red and then antiqued it with raw umber glaze. I know, nobody does that any more. The real challenge was putting it back together. ☺

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} January 31, 2012 at 3:58 pm #

thats what i was scared of, putting it back together, but it wasnt bad!!

44. The Vintage Yard January 31, 2012 at 3:24 pm #

I absolutely love this! You are very talented and patient! I love this color! What is the name of it? Just found you via pinterest!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} January 31, 2012 at 3:58 pm #

thanks so much!! the color is calico by Sherwin Williams

45. thistlewoodfarm January 31, 2012 at 6:27 pm #

Wow! What a transformation! This would be a perfect project to link up at our “impossibles” party today! Stop by and link up!

blessings,
    karianne

46. suzy February 17, 2012 at 10:29 am #

stunning…. just, stunning.
    Would love to know if you sanded it by hand or machine? and also what tool did you
    use to do such a fine painting job.

thanks for sharing

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} February 20, 2012 at 3:55 pm #

sanded with an orbital sander and to paint it use a graco 7.0 paint sprayer – thanks!!

47. shannon February 19, 2012 at 7:15 am #

We just got a piano for my daughter, I’ve been wondering what to do with it! You did a great job refurbishing this piano, I am inspired to do ours now! Thanks! :)

48. Natalie @ A Turtle's Life for Me March 9, 2012 at 10:07 am #

Love it! I just posted my piano that I repainted last fall and it’s almost the same color! I didn’t take anything apart or even tape anything off though, and, luckily, it turned out perfectly! I never would have had the patience to take everything apart! Yours looks beautiful! http://www.aturtleslifeforme.com/2012/03/turquoise-piano.html

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 19, 2012 at 7:41 pm #

yours looks awesome too!!!

49. Sarah March 29, 2012 at 12:36 pm #

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I am going to do the exact same thing. I am so inspired to recreate this and cant wait to see it in my new house.

50. sugar May 14, 2012 at 8:10 am #

My husband is a musician and I read him this post and he almost cried hearing that you painted and took apart a piano. He said the tuning and hammers (?) would all have to be redone. Just thought I’d put that out there for others to consider. If you don’t care what it sounds like, it isn’t an issue.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} May 15, 2012 at 6:53 pm #

yup, my clients were fully aware of that and they had a “piano man” check out the piano during the process – all was good!! :) (IMO) Its a waste to have all these ugly, outdated pianos sitting there unwanted because they dont “fit in” with the rest of the house – i dont know much about pianos nor have one (yet) but to me it would definitely be worth investing in a paint job, tuning and all that good stuff to have an awesome piece of furniture that can be passed through the generations!

Your husband has a good point and its definitely one that everyone should consider before getting to the painting :)

51. Mr. Smith June 23, 2012 at 10:00 pm #

So – I got my piano today! Getting started soon – just trying to figure out a color.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} June 25, 2012 at 6:08 pm #

I love it!! Its gonna be fun!!

And I LOVE your VW bus!! You should post some pics on that! I have a 71 bus, its so fun!!

52. Andrea July 6, 2012 at 10:31 am #

I have an old family piano in my basement. It has seen better days. I’d be happy to give it away if someone would take it and turn it into a work of art, like above. Very nice job indeed!

53. Susan July 11, 2012 at 8:33 pm #

This is beautiful. I’m thinking about refinishing our very old battered piano and this has really inspired me. Thanks.

54. Natalie Brimhall July 26, 2012 at 6:24 pm #

AAAAH! Oh my gosh, I think I have the exact same piano and I have been wishing it had some sort of pretty ornate design on it. I never thought about actually just PUTTING one on it! HAHAH! I love the paint color, too! It’s perfect!

55. Deanna August 14, 2012 at 2:19 pm #

Hi Sasha, this and the newest piano you posted are amazing! How much do you charge for a piano redo? Thx, Deanna if u prefer u can email me privately @ detayls34@gmail.com
    I’m in the furniture refinishing biz too, but in calif. :)

56. Karen August 20, 2012 at 8:11 pm #

Absolutely love what you did! My mom has an old upright that needs a makeover, wish you were in Louisiana!

57. Kimber January 18, 2013 at 8:53 pm #

OoooohMyGoooodness…I am in Loooooove with this piano!!!

This is exactly what I have been looking for!!!

Any chance that this is for sale? Or would you be willing to do another one?

My whole place is all beachy cottage chic (and I even have this same seagrass rugs in my living room and dining room!)

We live in AZ., but would be willing to travel to get it!

Pleeeease get in touch with me (privately if you can!)

Many thanks~

~Kimber

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} January 23, 2013 at 7:49 pm #

I will email you :)

58. Lloydikus July 22, 2013 at 11:42 am #

Thanks so much for this post. Can I ask you a couple more questions about the paint. Is this just spray paint or another kind of paint? What gloss is it and do you just brush it on with a foam brush or a regular paint brush?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} September 22, 2013 at 11:00 am #

I used a quality water based latex from SW – the paint is sprayed on with a paint sprayer

59. Cassie September 3, 2013 at 3:48 pm #

That particular piano, when restored correctly, is worth upwards of $10,000. You did it and it’s owners a great disservice. Perhaps you should research the value of the items before you change them so much.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} September 20, 2013 at 12:21 pm #

Actually, i couldnt disagree with you more. I actually did the owners a great service by painting their piano. This piano has been in their family for years and because no one wanted it because of the look of it, the piano was stuck down in a basement and not being used. After the piano was painted all the sisters wanted it! The piano is now being enjoyed by her family proudly displayed in her living room instead of being forgotten about. When things are passed down from generation to generation, normally the potential value of a piece really doesnt matter – its the thought that the piece has been and will be loved by many generations.

I dont research pieces that are given to me to paint – its not mine to decide if it should be painted or not. Clearly the owner has thought about whether painting the piano was right for her and ultimately it was.

• Jeri July 27, 2016 at 11:29 pm #

I agree with you! The color looks amazing!!! I love when we can take something old and ugly and make it new and pretty! I have done this to many antique items that were passed down and don’t regret it one bit!!! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ?

60. living room furniture September 13, 2013 at 2:54 pm #

We’re constantly on the quest for good second hand furniture, especially 60s sofas

61. Michelle at Faith, Trust, & Pixie Dust November 11, 2013 at 9:53 pm #

This is so beautiful! Thanks for the inspiration. Would love to try it some day.

Warmly, Michelle