{Before & After} – dresser turned TV console

For those of you that didn’t catch my guest post the other day @ I am Momma Hear Me Roar, I wanted to post it here too.  Thanks again Cheri for asking me to guest post – she was off to NYC to be on the Martha Show!  How awesome is that!!

My clients dresser wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t good either!  It was solid wood and in really good shape so they didn’t want to trash it.  They needed a tv console for their new flat screen and after seeing the one that i posted about here, they decided to have me re-purpose their dresser as well.

It started out like any normal dresser, but i needed to reconfigure it a little to be a functional tv console.  I started by taking out the three top drawers and then the middle one in the center.  I just used the jigsaw to remove that middle support between the 2 drawers.  My client wanted and open cubby in the middle so she can put a basket in there to store remotes/dvd’s/games.

The next thing i needed to do was make shelves – i just used a 4×8 sheet of 1/2″ MDF for this and cut it to fit.  Basically for the middle one, i built a back, 2 sides and a bottom.  The sides just got one bottom shelf.  Everything was glued and nailed so it will stay put.
This is when you gotta use those measuring skills so everything will fit just right!!
If you look at the before pic, you can see that the dresser had some type of wavy molding going across the bottom.  They wanted it to look more updated, so i popped that off and added a piece of baseboard trim.  I love how that changes the look of the dresser!
Then, to finish off where i added the shelving, i put a 1/2′ piece of trim around all the openings.
Last step was to fill all the nail holes and any gaps with some wood putty – as you can see my husband went to town with the wood putty – he is so fired!!
Now for the fun part!!  I primed it using a brown tinted primer from Valspar and then painted it Summer White by Sherwin Williams in a semi-gloss finish.  Then i distressed it and clear coated it in a gloss finish (Wood Classics poly by SW).  Then new hardware was added and it was ready to go!!

And there you have it!  An ordinary dresser that’s not being used can become a custom piece of furniture in no time!!

44 Responses to {Before & After} – dresser turned TV console

1. Judy Beeksma January 22, 2012 at 6:21 pm #

>Absolutely stunning conversion…

2. Jenny January 22, 2012 at 6:36 pm #

>Get out of town!! What a fantastic transformation! That little shell design would have lost me from the start. Well done!

3. Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. January 22, 2012 at 8:41 pm #

>Aren't dressers the most versatile pieces? Love it!

4. Karen @ The Quaint Cottage January 22, 2012 at 8:42 pm #

>This looks amazing! What a wonderful transformation.

5. Gloria Fox @ Potentially Beautiful January 22, 2012 at 9:46 pm #

>Looks great!

6. Chelsea January 22, 2012 at 9:51 pm #

>I love this! I just pinned it on Pinterest and it got a ton of action, way to go!

7. janet January 22, 2012 at 10:50 pm #

>WOW…It's beautiful..What a transformation..

8. Twice Nice January 22, 2012 at 11:20 pm #

>Gorgeous, love this! Deb

9. The Kern's January 22, 2012 at 11:31 pm #

>You are amazing! How much do you charge to redo a dresser like that?

10. Ellie January 23, 2012 at 1:04 am #

>I just love the finish on this one! Beautiful!

11. jeanne@juNxtaposition January 23, 2012 at 2:39 pm #

>amazing transformation !! what an eye you have !

12. cathhasablog@gmail.com January 23, 2012 at 9:08 pm #

>Thank you so much for sharing! Your work is beautiful! This furniture re-do is so good, I wish I could make my furniture re-do's look this good!!

PS..I am now one of your new loyal followers! If you have a chance, come and visit me over at my blog and if you like it I'd love it if you followed me back! :) Cath from Home is Where my Heart is http://cathhasablog.blogspot.com/

13. Kim @ The Gab January 23, 2012 at 10:06 pm #

>I love the dresser – this piece gives me great inspiration. Thanks for all your tutorials too.
    Have a blessed day.

14. Sue January 24, 2012 at 2:51 pm #

>whoa-this is one great make-over! You and your husband created a wonderful transformation of the dresser into an entertainment center. :-)

15. Doris January 24, 2012 at 10:28 pm #

>Love this makeover!!

16. Bethanne Woodham January 25, 2012 at 4:07 pm #

>Amazing and creative use of the piece! Love the use of molding to repurpose it. Thanks for sharing.

17. Kristen January 26, 2012 at 2:52 am #

>Hi! I love your stuff. I "pinned" one of your ideas on Pinterest (the entryway table with the window panel above it) and now when I or anyone else clicks on that picture, rather then take me to your blog, it's taking me to some Addicted2decorating blog. I can't figure out why but it really bothers me b/c it's your picture from your blog. Any thoughts? I want you to get the credit.

18. Heather's Blog-o-rama January 26, 2012 at 4:20 am #

>I LOVE what you did with this dresser. It's fabulous…and the white paint just makes the whole piece look so much lighter ;) :) Plus, I have a thing for quilts, too..and I love how you used the quilts to accent the beauty of the piece ;) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

19. kpaints January 26, 2012 at 3:49 pm #

>Love it and your whole blog…fun visit…I'm a new follower.

20. Crystal from Fussy Monkey Business January 27, 2012 at 2:38 pm #

>Thanks so much for the inspiration! I linked back to you on my post today…http://fussymonkeybiz.blogspot.com/2012/01/revamped-dresser.html. Love your blog! You always do a fab job!!

21. Double Glazing Gloucester January 29, 2012 at 12:59 am #

>I like the conversation. Having fun is a very good idea, it takes all the stress away.

22. Mary February 3, 2012 at 1:16 pm #

Hi – it looks like you sanded the whole things down before priming it. Is this the case, or is it just covered in dust? The original picture makes it look very different from the “during” pictures before you started priming/painting. Thanks in advance!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} February 7, 2012 at 10:53 pm #

yup, everything was light sanded before priming

23. Vonda February 13, 2012 at 9:09 pm #

So…for the record, you are amazing. I stuck you in my “favorites” because I can’t wait to see what you do next ! Great imagination and delivery of your vision. I hope I can look at things in my worls a little differently after seeing what you do!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} February 20, 2012 at 3:57 pm #

thanks!! its amazing what a little paint and creativity can do!! :)

24. Vonda February 13, 2012 at 9:10 pm #

*world

25. shanna March 8, 2012 at 1:36 pm #

Can I ask what the color of your valspar primer is? My Lowes won’t tint primers very dark.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 19, 2012 at 7:45 pm #

i have mine tinted to safari brown by valspar

26. Stephanie March 9, 2012 at 12:29 pm #

this piece on the dresser converted into a tv console was amazing!! do you ever do a really explained detailed step by step explanation. i have never done anything like this, but know i would love to try a smaller project and work my way up! please let me know!

27. Stephanie March 11, 2012 at 6:19 pm #

i have 1 more question, when you paint do you use a wide brush! how do you get the paint to look so smooth without any brush lines? the tv console looks like you could buy it in a furniture store, its that professional looking!! i would love to know how to do all of this!! thank you!!

28. Amber March 11, 2012 at 9:17 pm #

I love your blog so much. I think you are so talented and have a great eye. Way to go.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 17, 2012 at 1:37 pm #

why thank you very much!!!

29. Michele Webb March 13, 2012 at 10:27 pm #

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this!!! It is beautiful and so clever!! You are giving me so many idea – such great inspiration! Going shopping at Thrift Stores tomorrow to find me something cool!! I feel the creative bug kicking in!!

30. Lynn May 31, 2012 at 4:39 pm #

I LOVE your site and was inspired to paint a dresser that was given to me. I went to Lowe’s and talked to 3 people and none of them said that they could tint their paint to Safari Brown because it wouldn’t take that much colorant. Came back each time to re=read your site to see if I read correctly. So after the third trip in town, they talked me into getting the Signature primer/paint. I painted and it looked beautiful. But then after putting on the white semi-gloss it looks HORRIBLE. Put on another coat and it’s streaked and almost globbing off. Went to our local hardware store and she said you can’t paint over a primer/paint because something about the bonding agent. Can you please help?? I’m in tears as paint is expensive and I don’t know what to do now. Thank you so much!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} June 25, 2012 at 6:37 pm #

oh man!!!

Lowes no longer carries tintable primer – at least in a dark base. So i now have mine tinted @ Sherwin Williams.

I dont know anything about why you couldnt paint over the paint/primer in one – that is awful! That would mean that it could never be repainted or clearcoated?! ugghh…not good.

Unfortunately i think you are just going to have to sand until smooth and then try again. I wouldnt worry about sanding down to bare wood. And either go get the primer @ sherwin williams or you can even just use regular paint tinted to the dark color, but just make sure you get it in a flat or eggshell so it wont peel up and then just use your normal paint over it. I assume you are brushing it on, so just make sure everything is fully dry before doing your next coat. And for a super smooth finish, sand in between all your primer/paint coats with a high grit sanding block.

Hope that helps!!

• Lynn July 7, 2012 at 11:48 am #

Thanks Sausha for replying. I did what you said and I’m done and I’m amazed what I accomplished! Would never have happened without your inspiration and advice!!! Thank you soooo much!!! LOVE your blog and how honest, real and talented you are. I want to be like you :-)

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} July 12, 2012 at 7:56 pm #

haha!!! thanks so much!! so glad your project turned out amazing and that you love it – thats the best part!! :)

31. Sarah June 22, 2012 at 11:46 am #

I did this to a dresser of ours! So excited, it looks awesome! Thank you sooo much for the great idea!!

32. Miranda July 17, 2012 at 1:32 pm #

I primed with white primer on a dresser, which I then painted an ivory color. When I distress with a sanding block, the bright white shows through around where I distress. I notice you don’t have that on your items, which are beautiful by the way. Is that normal or if I glaze it will that help. I hope ya have a suggestion, I’m desperate lol. Thanks for any advice you might have

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} August 2, 2012 at 9:03 pm #

you could just have your primer tinted the same color as your paint, so that way when its distressed the primer that shows through will look just like your paint color :)

33. Elizabeth McClain September 30, 2012 at 5:59 pm #

I love this dresser! What an imagination you have. I would love to distress my whole house.

34. Marti April 19, 2013 at 6:39 am #

Love your website and your awesome ideas!!! We are a military family and I find that the DIY projects help time pass by faster when the hubby is gone. Also, it makes our home feel cozy. My question is, can this project be successful with a dresser that is not solid wood? My son’s have a dresser that is desperate need of a makeover. Thank you so much in advance.

35. Debbie Perkins July 5, 2013 at 6:22 am #

You go girl!! Awesome. I love repurposing anything. I need something like that to put my flat screen on for my living room. Dontcha just love it when you have the look that you want and the right piece of furniture. Boom, TV goes out, now your stand wont hold the new one??? Yep. Start over. Need you here girl. Beautiful work. I salute you with my tools. Salute.