{Kdins’ Curtains}–painted stripes

I have had lots of emails in the last week since being on the Nate Show about my son Kdins curtains.  So I thought I would do a quick post about how I did them.  I will be back to show the rest of his room soon – its one of my favorite rooms – its so different from the rest of our house.  Its just a fun room.

Smile

DSC_0009

I wanted a fabric with big orange stripes, I wanted them on the cheap and I wanted them fast.  So, I bought the Merete curtains from Ikea for $20 in the bleached white color.  I also bought some bright orange fabric paint from hobby lobby for about $4/bottle.  I think it took me a total of 4 bottles.

DSC_0003-1

I laid my curtains out on the floor and measured out how wide I wanted my stripes.  I think I did 16 in stripes with 12 in in between.  Then I just used some blue tape and for the most part it gave me really clean lines.  Just make sure and keep the fabric flat when you are taping.  Then I just filled in my tape lines with the fabric paint and a foam brush.

DSC_0001-1

I also wanted a fun curtain rod that would match the style of his room.  I went to home depot and they cut a galvanized pipe for me, threaded the ends with their handy dandy threading machine, and then I just bought some elbows to mount it on the wall.  Its such a small thing in the room, but I love it and it definitely stands out.

DSC_0013

DSC_0016

The fabric paint can be washed they say, but I am nervous about that!  But I have seen tons of painted/stenciled curtains around and they are super cute.  So if you cant buy what you have in mind, maybe you can paint them?!

I will be back to show the rest of the room soon – I need to get some better pics.  But trying to get that boy to clean his room – uhhh, not easy!!

The denim treatment on the wall super easy as well – I will be back with the 411 on that one too!  (fyi – its paint, not wallpaper)

16 Responses to {Kdins’ Curtains}–painted stripes

1. Jessica October 8, 2011 at 4:39 am #

That turned out super cool!

2. April @ The Painted Cupboard October 8, 2011 at 12:16 pm #

Love it!! Is there a way to see your full segment on the Nate Show in? Thanks

3. Aquilter October 8, 2011 at 4:26 pm #

The pipe as a curtain rod is the perfect touch–and so strong! Thanks for sharing!

4. Christina October 8, 2011 at 10:50 pm #

I LOVE these, I love the color and the hardware!
    So cool!
    xo

5. Lindsay October 9, 2011 at 2:02 am #

Love the rod for the curtains I've been wanting to do the same thing in my sons room just didn't know how I was going to cut the galvanized pipe.
    It adds such a wonderful industrial feel to the room. Thanks for the info super helpful.
    Lindsay

6. Erin {Lavender and Lemon Drops} October 9, 2011 at 9:36 am #

Awesome! I might have to use your pipe idea in my little mans room ;) I'm stenciling some curtains for my living room soon! Hope your doing well!

7. janet October 11, 2011 at 12:12 am #

Ilove the curtain idea but especially the walls..Looking forward to the tutorial..Have a great week..
    Janet

8. Stacey October 11, 2011 at 3:48 am #

Love these drapes (I'm trying to figure out my daughters windows) and your son's room in general! You are so talented and I oooo and aaaw at your overall style….cuz I love it!! I heart Nate and DVR him all the time. I saw YOU and was so excited (and inspired). You did awesome!

9. Tara October 12, 2011 at 11:45 pm #

Love the entire room!!! Is the black headboard and dresser new or something you redid??

10. Doris October 21, 2011 at 6:44 pm #

I just started following your blog and already know I love it! Good work being on the NB show. You have very creative ideas!

11. Stephanie October 30, 2011 at 7:28 pm #

Love the curtain rod! I had seen a shelving unit at Home Goods made using this technique, I think it is such a cool idea! The room looks awesome, great job.

12. Elizabeth October 11, 2012 at 2:25 pm #

Very nice room. And you can definitly wash the fabric paint. My mom used to have baby blankets painted with the same stuff and they washed great.

13. ira October 16, 2012 at 6:20 am #

Hi, please can you direct me to the tutorial for the walls? LOVE it!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} November 20, 2012 at 8:29 am #

sorry, i havent yet posted a tutorial for the walls yet!!

14. Nicole May 28, 2013 at 8:23 am #

Can you remember how much you paid for the galvanized, threaded pipe?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks