{The basement}

Im back!!  Filming my house for the Nate Show was hard work!!  Making every room stay clean for a day was tough!!  But – the actual filming and seeing yourself on camera is even tougher – way harder than I thought!!  And thanks to everyone for your sweet comments and emails – still trying to get back to everyone :)

Anyways – during all the last couple weeks of craziness, we got to work on our basement, again.  We have worked on our basement here and there, and have got the basics done – but we have a ton of work left to do.

A couple of years ago we started the basement.  We hired out the framing and drywall, but we have done the electrical, the plumbing and the floors – and we will do all the rest.

I don’t have any “before before” pics that I can find right now, but I wanted to show you what I started with a couple of weeks ago.  For some reason, when I painted the walls yellow a couple of years ago, I thought I wanted our molding lower (board and batten) – but I changed my mind now.  Now the yellow is going, and the board and batten will be higher.

I am way excited to get going on this!!  I am ready for the painting to be done and the molding so we can get started on some fun stuff!!  I have lots of ideas for this space and cant wait to get started decorating!!

Picture overload – didn’t I mention the basement is big!!  SO much molding and painting to do!!!

I am so glad we left the basement open – no spare rooms for us.  Down here will be a family room, pool table and a huge kitchen.  To the right of the stairs is a playroom, home theatre room and my craft room.

DSC_0005

Don’t you just love my tub?!  We are hoping to refinish that and use it down here, but the plumbing may not work out…I am so jealous of anyone that gets to use a clawfoot tub everyday!

DSC_0006

(the glass on the bathroom doors will be frosted)- Santi insisted that the bathroom have french doors to match the rest of the basement!

DSC_0007

DSC_0012

Where that door is now, used to be a window.  We had the concrete cut for a couple hundred dollars and put in a door to the backyard.

DSC_0013

DSC_0017

DSC_0009

DSC_0014

DSC_0018

DSC_0015

DSC_0016

And a sneak peak of a project we worked on over the weekend down here – be back tomorrow to show you what it is – I love how it turned out!!  Also I got everything painted (the new top color at least) and I LOVE the new color – so glad to get rid of that yellow

Smile

DSC_0130

16 Responses to {The basement}

1. The Cline's August 30, 2011 at 5:03 pm #

I LOVE LOVE your blog.. I have to know what kind of wood flooring do you use in your house?
    meggocline@gmail.com

2. Carrie August 30, 2011 at 5:03 pm #

Love your floors especially!! Where did you get them?

3. Suzy-Q August 30, 2011 at 5:07 pm #

Can't wait to see the finished project…so far, it's fantastic!

4. Jenny August 30, 2011 at 6:12 pm #

What an amazing space! I am loving the hardwood floors down there – absolutely gorgeous. Our basement is similar, in that it's a walkout (which I love, since you get such great natural light), but it's in need of an overhaul from a color palette perspective. Looking forward to seeing what you do!

5. Sarah @ Cozy.Cottage.Cute. August 30, 2011 at 7:35 pm #

Can't wait to see your progress. We're also renovating our basement so it will be inspiration for me! Looks great so far!!

6. Tanya August 30, 2011 at 7:44 pm #

Think I've got a major case of house envy!

7. Lynda @ Happenstance Home August 30, 2011 at 8:46 pm #

I'm loving all that space you have and all of the possibilities! You will have so many useful areas.

8. Connie @ Measured by the Heart August 31, 2011 at 2:37 am #

I have a question on the walk out basement you made. I want to do this in mine but I've heard that it's a BIG deal. Something about drainage and other concerns. Can you give me any advice?

9. judi August 31, 2011 at 2:41 am #

love the tub! we just installed a vintage one in our main bath (post coming). i really hope it works out-you will love it!
    is the sneak peek a beam near the ceiling?

10. Christa @ Stories of a House August 31, 2011 at 12:29 pm #

So much work you've already done! It's like having another house altogether. Everything is looking amazing, can't wait to see the next post on it. I'm glad to see that laying floors yourself is possible.

11. The Christianson Crew August 31, 2011 at 2:31 pm #

Thank GOD you're back. Was starting to sweat . . . .

We're starting to re-do the lower level of our getaway chalet. Building in a mudroom, playspace, bedroom, TV viewing area, bathroom, and storage/washer & dryer area. We are hiring out for the framing and drywall and doing the rest of it ourselves too. Can't wait to see all of our progress.

12. Ashley August 31, 2011 at 4:01 pm #

I love the clawfoot tub too! Hoping you are able to incorporate it. I feel like soaking in one cannot ever feel anything less than completely glamorous.

13. lemon twigs September 1, 2011 at 7:29 pm #

Hey! If you live near Herriman (south salt lake), I have a bunch of furniture I am getting rid of. I have had to STOP crafting for awhile and need more space. I love re-doing furniture and have some that would be awesome re-done. It's all free. I also have frames, vases etc. Please, if you or anyone else wants these, email me at: wink@asurfer.com I am Melanie. You can call me also 435-760-8093.

14. elesa September 25, 2011 at 6:06 pm #

OOh, your floors in the basement are so pretty. Where did you get them?

Oh, I see now half of the other commenters asked the same question. Did you already answer it somewhere else?

15. Anonymous October 28, 2011 at 7:37 pm #

Love the faux beams — very clever. How high are your ceilings?

16. Mona October 11, 2012 at 4:32 am #

wow your house is so huge