{My cutest table EVER!!}- old door turned coffee table

I posted about a year ago, this awesome door that I got and didn’t know what I was going to do with it.  Well, it has been in every room of my house waiting for inspiration to strike.  I could think of tons of uses for the door – but nothing that would work for my house.

I really didn’t want to cut up the door – but I love the door so much that by making it a coffee table for the room that I am in everyday – made sense.  And I love the character that the table brings to the room – its perfection Smile

Before…

baby shower - road trip 6-2010 272

And after…I basically just cut about 32 in off one end, cut that in half for the legs and put the rest on for the table top.  I love its simplistic rustic yuminess.  And the color – so perfect.  I cant get over it.

DSC_0022

And of course, I left on the door knob, the deadbolt and the hinges – freaking LOVE IT!!!

DSC_0024

DSC_0025

Oh – how I love chippy goodness – you cant fake that!  I try, but there’s nothing like the real thing.

DSC_0027

And check out my latest little flower vase find (free!!) – I added some mason jars and fresh flowers and it looks perfect on my new  table

Smile

DSC_0029

Ahh – life is good!!  I love propping my feet up on my newest, most favorite piece of junk.  I could stare at it all day :)

**FYI – I assume this table was painted with lead paint, so I sanded off all the chippy flakes and coated it with a ton of poly**

60 Responses to {My cutest table EVER!!}- old door turned coffee table

1. jcreviston August 2, 2011 at 3:53 am #

Shut The Door! I LOVE IT!!!! I have two doors begging to be a coffee table!

2. Judy August 2, 2011 at 3:57 am #

That is perfection! Check out my chippy blue table I just put in my soon to be revealed sunroom redo…not as fabulous as your door but I like it!

Judy

3. Carri @ Redefining C August 2, 2011 at 4:03 am #

Oh my! Love.at.first.sight! Great inspiration…thanks for sharing.

4. Burke & Chelle August 2, 2011 at 4:10 am #

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! I'M in LOVE! That is so cute! Wow!

5. halfadozenroses August 2, 2011 at 4:18 am #

I have a door that exact color hanging in my bedroom. Now I know what to do with it when I get bored with it :)

6. Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys August 2, 2011 at 4:23 am #

So how are you holding it all together? It's GORGEOUS!

7. Kelley August 2, 2011 at 4:42 am #

That is fabulous!! I bought an old door about a year ago and I have been trying to figure out what to do with it…now I know!! Thank you for being such an inspiration!

8. Korrie@RedHenHome August 2, 2011 at 4:50 am #

Very cool! Love the old hardware still on it!

9. Sara {Sara's Closet} August 2, 2011 at 5:11 am #

Oh, I lover it! Super awesome…it's a one of a kind!

10. Imperfections August 2, 2011 at 11:49 am #

I have a white one just like it that has also been all over my house. I cant' quite settle on what to do with it because of it's large size. Like you I really don't want to cut it. Currently it's on the patio , waiting for it's next home.

11. Shelley August 2, 2011 at 11:50 am #

Ahhhh!!!!!! Seriously… I can't even come up with the words to describe how much I love it :D

12. Stephanie August 2, 2011 at 11:51 am #

LOVE it – so creative to use all of the door – and I agree the color is perfection!

13. the nayz August 2, 2011 at 1:59 pm #

Love how you cut up the table to use as top and legs. You just took a common use for a table and bumped it up several thousand notches!!

stacinay.blogspot.com

14. April @ The Painted Cupboard August 2, 2011 at 2:58 pm #

That looks fabulous!!!!
    I read once that you use vaseline to help get that chippy look but have you ever had a problem with your topcoat not adhering because of the grease too??? Thanks, April

15. Amanda M. August 2, 2011 at 3:33 pm #

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this.

16. The Mangum's August 2, 2011 at 3:40 pm #

SHUT.THE.FRONT.DOOR!! I'm in love and must find an old door!!

17. rachel @ gilly grey August 2, 2011 at 6:40 pm #

LOVE THIS!!!

Rachel
    xoxo

18. Vanessa August 2, 2011 at 6:46 pm #

I have a door in my garage that I so need to do this with! Thanks for the inspiration!

19. Heather August 2, 2011 at 8:03 pm #

Wow! wow! wow!!!! Amazing! I love that color paint. I just painted my bathroom something similar and liked it so much that it might start appearing in other areas of my house.=) http://bellesbazaar-heather.blogspot.com/

20. Lil' Luna August 2, 2011 at 10:15 pm #

I LOVE your table! I think I may have to steal it. :)

21. Midwest Cottage August 3, 2011 at 1:08 am #

Total shabby awesomeness! I love it so much. !

22. Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy August 3, 2011 at 4:17 am #

Wow! One of a kind cuteness!

23. Karen @ THEBUSYBUG August 3, 2011 at 5:32 am #

Amazing!! TFS….

24. Comeca Jones August 3, 2011 at 12:52 pm #

Great!

25. Shabby Marilyn August 3, 2011 at 3:26 pm #

That is SOOOO adoorable!!! Love it! Great Job!

26. Suzanne@Meridian Road August 3, 2011 at 5:30 pm #

I though I wanted to make a headboard out of my old door, but I think I might have to make a coffee table! That is just the coolest thing!

I love your jar caddy, too.

27. Reenie August 5, 2011 at 5:03 pm #

~ LOVE ~

28. C'est Magnifique August 6, 2011 at 3:54 am #

Genius… simply genius!!!

Tania

29. Brooke August 7, 2011 at 12:54 am #

Holy cow. This is brilliant! What a fabulous way to showcase such a lovely old door. Major kudos to you!

30. { The Painted Home } August 8, 2011 at 1:38 am #

shut the freakin front door – you freaking genius! 'nough said.
    d e n i s e

31. fran August 20, 2011 at 3:54 pm #

That is about the best idea I've seen in blogland in a long time! I LOVE it!

32. Funky Junk Interiors August 20, 2011 at 6:04 pm #

Oh my… you've taken an old door concept and have gone beyond. This is so cool!

Shared on FJI Facebook for SNS 95. :)

Donna

33. Angela August 21, 2011 at 4:30 am #

I really, really love that!!

34. Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville August 22, 2011 at 1:14 am #

Genious! I absolutley love it!
    I hope you will link up to Thrifty Thursday this week and share. Again, amazing!
    Leigh
    Tales from Bloggeritaville

35. erin August 22, 2011 at 4:18 pm #

LOVE IT! The color IS perfect!
    May I ask where you got your couch slipcovers from?

36. Bohemian September 7, 2011 at 12:09 am #

I have a Love Affair with Old Doors and Hoard every one I find… my Family feels I need Old Door Intervention! *winks* There are so many creative ways of using them and you have done a magnificent job with this Beautiful piece… I'm sure it was enjoyed before inspiration struck and now it is not only useful and creative, but a lovely anchor piece & conversation starter for the room!

Dawn… The Bohemian

37. NYCSopranosings September 23, 2011 at 6:55 pm #

Congratulations! Just saw you on Nate.. great job!!!! omg.. Love the door.. so cute.. I am so spreading the chippy word!!!!

Peace, love and coffee
    Melissa

38. The Houghton's September 23, 2011 at 10:01 pm #

I just saw you on Nate as well & OMG so dang cute! Love your home. I live in your town so not only did you give me inspiration but it's close to home so helps out even more…as weird as that sounds :)

39. Kara@Hobbies of a Homemaker October 21, 2011 at 7:57 pm #

I absolutely love this table! I have some old doors just waiting to be used and this is the perfect project for them! I'm your newest follower!

40. Anonymous October 25, 2011 at 2:40 am #

Love this door/coffee table! is there any additional bracing needed–something we don't see, or is it just attaching each piece to make a side? Thanks!

41. Beautiful World November 13, 2011 at 12:28 pm #

I've NEVER seen such a nice coffee table!!! I'm in love with it!!

42. Rachel~Wildflower Photography Studio and a little bit vintage November 17, 2011 at 8:35 pm #

really lovin this! :)

43. Linda Benton February 14, 2012 at 8:12 pm #

Bravo! This ingenious idea may be the answer to people who want to put their feet and glasses on my coffee table which is an antique pine chest….An old door has to be indestructible!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} February 20, 2012 at 3:56 pm #

yes it is!! the door takes a lot of abuse and just gets better :)

44. Dennis July 23, 2012 at 2:46 pm #

Great ideas. I too have a love for old doors. I try to make new and different things from them re-purpose them, and to keep them around for another 100 years.

45. Inspire Me Heather August 9, 2012 at 6:21 am #

Nice job on your coffee table, it’s gorgeous! I have this linked to my coffee tables post as well today, for inspiration!

46. Selah Davenport October 3, 2012 at 9:38 am #

Love, love, love this! I have so many doors too! I was wondering if you could tell me how you attached the sides? Did you just do wood glue or use pocket holes?

Thanks so much for being such an inspiration!

Selah

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} October 9, 2012 at 4:55 pm #

i just attached the top with screws, pocket holes would make it even more sturdy or some cute brackets in the corners would be fun (thats what i have done on other coffee table doors that i have made)

47. Robert January 8, 2013 at 5:39 pm #

What type of finish did you use over the old coat of paint. The cut end appears dark as well. Did you stain it?
    Thanks.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} January 16, 2013 at 6:03 pm #

i used several coats of water based poly. I didnt do anything to the cut end, but it for sure could be stained, i always think about it but just never do it on mine (on the other ones that i have painted and sold, ive always stained the cut end so it blends in better)

48. andrea c April 25, 2013 at 12:08 pm #

cute! where are your couches from?

49. Sandy McDonald January 2, 2014 at 6:57 pm #

I absolutely love this! I can see why it is one of your favorite projects! Great job!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Our greenest project yet | : A green door, a green repurposing, and green in our wallet This (sorta) Old Life - March 14, 2012

[...] via Sweet Pickins (formerly Show & [...]

2. 10 Ideas para reciclar una puerta vieja. No subestimes el poder de una puerta antigua. | Mil Ideas de Decoración - April 30, 2012

[...] 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, [...]

3. Doors Galore « The Attic Birds - August 25, 2012

[...] a table.  You can find all sorts of examples of doors being used as tables.  I really like what Sweet Pickins did with a solid wood [...]

4. 10 Brilliant up-cycled coffee tables | Revedecor - October 2, 2012

[...] sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. var dd_offset_from_content = 40; var dd_top_offset_from_content = 0;Your thoughts ? [...]

5. Recycling Old Doors - Some Unusual Ideas | Vibrant Doors Blog - March 29, 2013

[...] Coffee table  www.sweetpickinsfurniture.com [...]

6. | Plain Bellies - October 15, 2013

[…] http://www.sweetpickinsfurniture.com/2011/08/my-cutest-table-ever-old-door-turned-coffee-table.html […]

7. 40 ideas para reutilizar una puerta antigua. | Mil ideas de Decoración - April 21, 2014

[…] Otro ejemplo de cómo se puede utilizar una puerta antigua para fabricar una mesa de centro. Más detalles en Sweetpickinsfurniture. […]

8. 20 Creative DIY Coffee Tables | World inside pictures - October 12, 2014