{Dresser re-do}–before & after

Just a quick before and after shot of a dresser that I recently finished up and sold.  I love that she chose a bright white, it really freshened up the piece and I love the way it turned out.  I also really like that the original handles were painted the same white to blend in more, there is already so much detail in the dresser and if the handles were painted another color it might have to busy.

Before…

DSC_0158

After…

DSC_0001

DSC_0004

DSC_0006

So cute!!!  I loved these carved dressers

Smile

29 Responses to {Dresser re-do}–before & after

1. Boyd Street Bungalow August 8, 2011 at 8:00 pm #

Had to look at it twice! The drawers are switched around. That white really makes all the decorative detail pop. Good job.. love it.

2. Christa @ Stories of a House August 8, 2011 at 8:22 pm #

Love it! She definitely made the right choice.

3. Abbey August 8, 2011 at 8:28 pm #

This turned out so great! I love it!

4. Midwest Cottage August 8, 2011 at 8:55 pm #

Honestly, these are some of my favorite furniture items. The ornate details are sooo cool. Love it.

5. Pine Tree Home August 8, 2011 at 8:55 pm #

Amazing how paint transforms these rather ugly huge pieces of furniture. Good one!

6. Twice Nice August 8, 2011 at 9:16 pm #

LOVE those details. It looks so fresh and lovely in white!

7. Just Julie Teaching Third Graders August 8, 2011 at 10:39 pm #

This is fabulous! Is it me or are the pull handle drawers on the bottom in the first picture and then on the top in the finished? Either way I love it!

8. Kates August 8, 2011 at 11:39 pm #

this looks SO beautiful! My jaw literally dropped!

9. Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy August 9, 2011 at 3:02 am #

Looks perfect!

10. Jessica August 9, 2011 at 3:52 am #

Love it! It's amazing how those aweful 70's dressers LOOK so great with a fresh coat of paint and a fresh prespective. You rock!

11. Sarah August 9, 2011 at 6:18 am #

Oh man. GORGEOUS! I'd kill for a dresser like this! I've been looking for one like this to paint white. lovely!

12. Kim @ Cheap Chic Home August 9, 2011 at 12:14 pm #

Okay-"before"=nastiness, "after"=contemporary sculpture. What a difference!

13. Erin August 9, 2011 at 5:18 pm #

WOW! What a difference a layer of paint (or 2) can make! This would also look awesome in a high-gloss bright color :)

14. Juli Snedeker August 10, 2011 at 3:00 pm #

How did you switch the drawers around?? Everything is the same, top and bottom molding, but those drawers are moved??? It's really Beautiful! I love these painted old dressers they have a new life now!!

15. Miss Charming August 10, 2011 at 7:05 pm #

I absolutely love it!

16. Emily @ RemarkableHome August 12, 2011 at 1:30 am #

How much did you sell this for? It is fabulous!

17. Julie M. Staab August 19, 2011 at 9:28 pm #

Your blog is wonderful and have the best redos I think I have ever seen! :)

18. Kelly @"The Kosta Krew" August 26, 2011 at 7:55 pm #

Did you sand this before you painted it? I have one very similar to do but I'm a little hesitant because of the intricate details.

19. Aileen September 13, 2011 at 1:15 am #

I'm pretty much head over heels in love with this piece.

20. Anonymous October 19, 2011 at 11:35 pm #

Woow!! I just saw the night stand @ another blog that look EXACTLY the same!! She ended up painting them yellow. SO. CUTE!! It's on the banner..http://www.allthingsthrifty.com/

21. A Vintage Vine November 17, 2011 at 5:19 pm #

Great job! This such a wonderful piece, love all of it's "hunkyness"!

22. Sherry December 15, 2011 at 6:13 am #

Pretty darn gorgeous!

23. Kristine February 18, 2012 at 11:36 pm #

Did you glaze this or not? Referring to Dresser Redo that you painted all white. We inspired me and I got a dresser and my awesome husband put a trim/base around the bottom and we painted it white…then we stained it with a dark brown (but without the glaze) and wiped most of it off, but not it just looks like a muted, dull white and I don’t really Do I paint like it anymore. Any advice? We’re thinking of painting it white again, and just roughing it up after that and putting a gloss over it, but wondering what you did this piece.

24. Kristine February 18, 2012 at 11:39 pm #

Did you glaze this or not? Referring to Dresser Redo that you painted all white. You inspired me and I got a dresser and my awesome husband put a trim/base around the bottom and we painted it white…then we stained it with a dark brown (but without the glaze) and wiped most of it off, but not it just looks like a muted, dull white and I don’t really any more. Any advice? We’re thinking of painting it white again, and just roughing it up after that and putting a gloss over it, but wondering what you did with this piece so we don’t screw it up again.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} February 20, 2012 at 3:53 pm #

nope, no glaze on this one, just a bright white!!

25. Kristine February 20, 2012 at 9:06 pm #

Thank you. We repainted it white. I’m excited to send you a photo when it’s all done to show you what you inspired.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} February 20, 2012 at 9:18 pm #

cant wait to see!!

26. Sherrie Brown August 14, 2012 at 6:32 am #

Omgoodness. I bought a dresser from Habitat yesterday that was very similar to this. It has lots of beautiful large hardware on it and alot of detail on the front. Not wood, mostly some kind of plastic, but painted and glazed and this will be beautiful. I love this kind of dresser, buffet, console….so many uses. I redo furniture, but THIS IS JUST FOR ME!!! I know this post of your dresser is old, but omgoodness….ITS GORGEOUS and I had to comment. Love your work, and love the kids helping you accomplish all you do. Cant wait to see more from you!!!

27. Ruby June 1, 2014 at 5:18 pm #

This is beautiful, I have two dressers that are from the 70′s that were my grandparents, I was thinking of ditching them at the goodwill until I started seeing these amazing transformations from people such as yourself and really want to give them a makeover. I have been struggling to find accurate how to instructions with this material as far as the prep work. I can send you a photo of the dresser if that helps. I think the dresser is wood and does not appear to be laminate.
    Thank you in advance your your advice,
    Ruby Armstrong