{White Slip-Covers}

Oh how i love slip covers – especially white slip covers.  I have wanted them forever and why when we bought our couches 4 years ago we didn’t buy them then – i don’t know.  But i have them now :)

If you have been following me for a while – you know that before Santi came home from Iraq – like a weekend or so before – i ripped up my couches (back cushions were attached) and made my own slips in a 2 day weekend.

They turned out pretty good i thought for being a self taught sewer and being in a time crunch.  But i wanted piping and zippers and my sewing machine couldn’t handle all the layers – so i had to give up the idea of piping, and then i was just too lazy to figure out the zippers.

They worked for a while – but i decided that i wanted to have them professionally done – and i am so glad i did.  I couldn’t be happier with them – seriously sometimes i walk into the room and just stare at them, they are such cute, comfy little things :)

And, so many people ask me about the white.  People tell me that they could never have white with their kids and dogs.  But, that is exactly why i have white.  I have kids and dogs.  White is the only color that you can throw  in the washer and bleach – then they are as good as new.  I will never have a regular couch again (if i have my say and i usually do) – they will always be slip covered.  Seeing how dirty these things can get – and then the only reason i am seeing the dirt is because they are white – imagine what a darker color sofa is hiding?  yuck.

Since i have got them (early Dec 2010) i have washed them about once a month.  Just wash them in cold and hang them to dry.  I like the semi-wrinkled look – its looks more relaxing to me.  PLUS – if just one gets spilled on or dirty – its so easy just to throw that one in the wash.

Before – couches getting ready for their new digs (my couches had attached back cushions, but i wanted loose ones, so i took those off and bought some big fluffy pillows to use instead – so much better)

table weathering 007

And after – so much better.  Doesn’t it make the space look more relaxed and fresh?  Why.. yes it does!!

table weathering 019

table weathering 023

table weathering 026

table weathering 030

So, if you are in need of some slips – Shelley with Custom Slipcovers by Shelley did a great job – seriously, so well made and easy to get on and off.  I have one more chair that goes in that room that i need to get done as soon as i can figure out what i want :)

So – do you have white slips?  Do you want white slips?  Do you NEED white slips?!?!

29 Responses to {White Slip-Covers}

1. Deb April 3, 2011 at 7:16 am #

I just love my white slipcovers too Sausha…yours are gorgeous! ~Deb~

2. KarenSue April 3, 2011 at 8:27 am #

I love slip covers! I also will never be without. I had mine made about 10 years ago out of painters tarps and they have held up well. I wash and dry them all the time.
    Yours are perfect!
    Enjoy~KarenSue

3. Jenny April 3, 2011 at 10:19 am #

I don't have slip covers but I want slip covers and white ones too!!!! I loved your post. ;-)

4. Susan @ homeroad.net April 3, 2011 at 11:13 am #

I want white slipcovers! I have dark green couches that are quite oversized (and too big for the room) Secretly…I'm REALLY working on new couches!
    Susan

5. Christa @ Stories of a House April 3, 2011 at 11:54 am #

I LOVE your slipcovers! They are beautifully done. It's funny you post this now, because I have been trying to figure out how to get a basic couch and then slipcover it. Does Shelley only work locally?

6. Rhonda April 3, 2011 at 12:27 pm #

Those are so fantastic… I want white slipcovers now too! Love. May I ask what color your walls are? I'm wanting to repaint my living room and that's a gorgeous color! Also, one more question… do you have plantation shutters in the background? Okay, done. Thanks!

7. Sarah @ Cozy.Cottage.Cute. April 3, 2011 at 12:34 pm #

Mine are just the simple extorp ones from Ikea but I still love them.

I completely agree that I would never go back.

Can you imagine how disgusting other people's couches are that are upholstered? Yuck, yuck, and double yuck.

I'm able to wash mine on hot though which helps them come even cleaner. :)

P.S. Your living room: love.

8. April @ The Painted Cupboard April 3, 2011 at 1:32 pm #

They look amazing!!! And Shelley is AMAZING!!!!!!! She lives in my community and has done several things for me too! She is one TALENTED girl :). Your house looks fabulous!

9. marty (A Stroll Thru Life) April 3, 2011 at 1:38 pm #

They do look fabulous. I also love the change of pillows. Gorgeous. Hugs, Marty

10. Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle April 3, 2011 at 2:41 pm #

I have white denim slips on my great room sofa and I LOVE them. Like you said, they are so easy to keep clean. They actually look brand new each time I wash them and I can toss any color of pillow on them and know it will look great.

11. shizzknits April 3, 2011 at 3:14 pm #

I like the white slips, but we have leather sofas (in a fawn color) so no slips for us! Leather is pretty darned easy to keep clean so we don't worry about the dirty factor…but I do wish my sofas were a lighter color. It's hard to coordinate colors when the biggest piece of furniture in the room (sofa) is brown brown brown!

12. aklatina April 3, 2011 at 8:18 pm #

Wow your home is STUNNING!

13. Pine Tree Home April 4, 2011 at 2:02 am #

I've been thinking about slipcovering my chenille living room set. I know it is harboring a lot of grime and would love to be able to toss the covers in the wash. Maybe I will start with the chair. Your set is just lovely!

14. Slipcovers by Shelley April 4, 2011 at 3:28 am #

Thanks Sausha for the post! Your couches still look fabulous! Just let me know when you are ready for the chair to be done.

15. Rachel Berry April 4, 2011 at 4:21 am #

I just bought new white slipcovers for my living room furniture and they are STILL in the box!! I'm chicken to put them on with my 5 kids… I know I know it's called bleach……

I'm also painting my walls very soon the color looks similar to yours. I'm going with Comfort Grey… Thanks to the Nester.
    What color did you use?

;)Rachel

16. Sandee April 4, 2011 at 4:26 am #

I SOOO love your white slipcovers, I remember asking you about them when I came to buy the old windows. I'm still planning on having one made for a love seat I have and I can't wait. I was planning on going with Slipcovers by Shelley so I was excited when I got to see yours in person.

What type of fabric did you have them made with?

17. Just Beachy April 4, 2011 at 1:32 pm #

I love the stripes too , but what is not to love about white slipcovers , I have had them forever , a little bleach if needed and they are as good as new . what a lovely room .

18. Jess April 4, 2011 at 2:05 pm #

I so want white slip covers but our couch has attached top and bottom cushions. And then it wouldn't match the recliner. So I need to figure out how to do the recliner too. Hmmmmmmm…

19. letter A studio April 4, 2011 at 4:12 pm #

I've been trying to talk my hubby into getting white slip covers for our couches for years. I haven't convinced him yet but I think I'm close! We are on the hunt for new couches & I think it would be fun to get white!!!

20. The Downs Family April 5, 2011 at 6:25 am #

I've been dying for slips! I would go with an off white for my couches :) I also have attached pillows so I would have to figure that out as well.

21. Tiaras & Bow Ties April 7, 2011 at 1:18 am #

Blog hopping and came across your blog. Needless to say, I'm luvin what I'm seein! I have been wanting to slipcover for soooo long. Have to admit, I'm a little worried about white, although I luv the look (2 kids & a dog).

So glad to have found you, I'll be your newest follower. Stop over and visit my newbie blog sometime. I'd luv to have you.
    Kim from tiarasandbowties.blogspot.com

22. GP April 8, 2011 at 4:58 am #

I have 4 boys a dog and a cat. We've had our slipcovered couches since 2003. Worth every single penny. And yes, #1 comment is "how do you have white with 4 boys?" Best thing I've ever invested in for my home!

23. Lauren April 11, 2011 at 2:00 am #

They look great! I am not scared of white and you gave me the perfect case to present to my husband who was leery of my fabric choice for my couch… I am in the process of slip covering my old couch….Check it out sometime @ ormsbysorganizedchaos.blogspot.com inspired by Shelley of course.

24. Julie T. April 22, 2011 at 8:18 pm #

I love those white slipcovers. I'm one of those that thought you couldn't do white with kids but I love how you can wash them. I have one question though. You said to wash them in cold water, but I thought if you didn't wash them in hot water, they don't stay really white? They get kinda dingy I thought? I guess the bleach would take care of that? Do you use bleach every time you wash them?

25. Anonymous October 14, 2011 at 4:22 pm #

I just bought the Ektorp 2+2 white slip covered couch. I have had it 4 weeks and just washed it, I used Oxyclean gel stick and then in the wash now my covers are yellow! Help what do I do? They look terrible! I have 4 kids and I do not want to hear ''see I told you not to do white!'' Please help me out!

26. wendy frank February 20, 2012 at 5:23 pm #

where did you get them? help!

27. Ashley September 19, 2013 at 12:40 pm #

Thank you!! I love my slipcovers but hate the riding up that happens on the back because of my semi-attached back cushions. Once I get the courage they are being ripped off and some lovely pillows are taking their place!

28. Sheena January 19, 2016 at 2:36 am #

I am in the middle of slip covering my couch. I detached my back pillows…and con not find a replacement pillow I love.where did you get your big fluffy pillows?