{Sewing table – before & after}

Just a quick little before & after to show what can be done with a dated sewing table.

This one is solid wood and had cute lines.  It went a creamy white, then heavily distressed with a 60 grit sanding block.  The top was given a sloppy coat of white paint and then scraped and sanded off to look old & wore out.

the handle for the false drawer was made out a rope – adds to that shabby look :)

Before

blue dresser 003

After

desk and table 015

desk and table 017

desk and table 020

desk and table 022

desk and table 023

And just because its a sewing table, doesn’t mean that it has to be used for a sewing table.  Would be a cute little entry table to drop your keys, a side table – even a little nightstand.  Lots of uses :)

18 Responses to {Sewing table – before & after}

1. Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy April 5, 2011 at 5:40 am #

I adore the top of that table! Just awesome! The whole thing is a real cutie!

2. mapleandmagnolia.com April 5, 2011 at 12:19 pm #

This is wonderful! The rope pull just makes the whole thing!!!

3. Prudently Painted Vintage April 5, 2011 at 12:52 pm #

WOW! Every inch of this is perfection. Great job!

4. Tanya April 5, 2011 at 1:30 pm #

I was a little doubtful as you described the process, but then came the photo, and, as usual, you've completely wowed me.

5. Belinda April 5, 2011 at 1:43 pm #

What a great idea! And it turned out so beautiful!!

6. Lesa April 5, 2011 at 2:30 pm #

Gorgeous!

7. Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage April 5, 2011 at 3:30 pm #

Holy Moly! I didn't think such a dramatic transformation could be made on such a plain little table! I am wowed by this makeover!! It looks so very pretty now!!

8. Nanci April 5, 2011 at 8:45 pm #

A-MA-ZING!! I would so use that as a sewing table. You really made it sing. I have an antique oak sewing cabinet that formerly had a tredle and now houses my machine. I am so tempted to paint it but am a bit reluctant because it's an antique. So I'm stuck in limbo land. Help! Would you distress it if it was yours?

9. Mouth of the South April 6, 2011 at 12:05 am #

LOVE!!! I always see those at thrift stores and wonder what to do with them. Great idea!

10. ~alicia April 6, 2011 at 3:16 am #

Ok, seriously?! I passed up one of these at Goodwill last week because I didn't have "the vision"!

This is BEAUTIFUL and would make a perfect entry way table. I will have to *run* to Goodwill tomorrow to see if they still have the one I saw. You're work is so inspiring and you are truly talented!

Love your blog – I read it every day!

~alicia
    proof-of-love.blogspot.com

11. Morning Glory Cottage April 6, 2011 at 4:39 pm #

Wow, I think you stole that sewing table out of my guest house. ;0) I better go check. Never mind it's still there with the sewing machine. But hey I'll trade ya. This looks marvelous and gives me an idea of what to do with the one I do have. It's hubby's grandmother's sewing table and machine turned night table. Thanks for sharing this fabulous piece.

12. Anonymous April 7, 2011 at 12:18 am #

Love that sewing table. I just picked up one at DI last week so I'm happy knowing I'm on the same wave length as a PRO.

I agree with you, it caught my eye because of the height. Our beds are all to tall for normal nightstands. This will be perfect.

You did such a good job on your mirror frame tutorial that I'm waiting with "baited breath" for your board and batten tutorial.

Thanks for the inspiration!

13. Blissful Craziness April 9, 2011 at 4:24 pm #

O.K….I'm so excited! I've got one of these in my garage that I got at the goodwill for $1. It's been sitting there for 6 months because I didn't know what to do to it…now I have an idea:) Thanks!

Krista

14. Janeen May 5, 2011 at 4:50 pm #

Whoever designed that cute basket is awesome. I would love to have that in my livingroom. I'm not good at designing but I sure can buy (or win) someone elses idea.

15. Kay May 5, 2011 at 5:06 pm #

What a CUTE basket and CUTE blog!

16. Sharon August 11, 2011 at 6:40 pm #

Great job! I just saw one of these being used for a laptop table…when shut, it stored the laptop and all of its extras! Not nearly as cute as yours though!

17. :::b r a n d i::: August 26, 2011 at 4:07 am #

and I have an old sewing table sitting in my office right now.

18. Joanna December 21, 2011 at 2:59 am #

Thanks for sharing this! I have an old sewing table similiar to this. I already like mine as is but what you have done would make it look spectacular! I also saw another one for sale today at a thrift store. I might just buy it and try what you have done here. Looks beautiful.