{Distressing with an electric sander}

I LOVE distressed furniture – to me, the more distressed the better.  Especially white/cream distressed pieces with a dark stain underneath that will show through.  That gets my heart pumpin.

Just so happens that i had a cute little antique desk in my stash with simple lines and a dark stain – perfect for some heavy distressin’.

I painted the bottom half a creamy white, let it dry and then took my sander to it – very fun and so much easier and faster than sandpaper or a sanding block.  I try and distress this way whenever i can – it doesn’t look good on all furniture, it takes the right one, and this little desk fit the bill :)

Sorry, no before pic – what was i thinking – that’s right… i wasn’t thinking – sometimes i just get so excited to paint and it would be soooo out of my way to go in and get the camera…that could slow me down big time!

Here is a pic of the fresh cream paint – so boring – the desk is just to plain to leave it alone

white desk 001

Blah, blah, blah…

white desk 002

Then i brought out my buddy…Mr Ridgid – love him

sander 001

I had a 220 grit on the sander because that’s what i was using for that table up there – but sometimes i use a really low grit – just depends

Then i just go over the whole thing – just like i was preparing it for paint.  Of course, i hit the edges more and random places here and there, some more than others.  If there are imperfections in the wood – like knots or grooves and things like that, then i hit this areas more.

white desk 014

Some spots the sander will take off a lot of paint – some spots it barely does anything – that’s what i like about Mr. Ridgid – he is just not that dependable :)  It makes it look a little more natural and not so planned.

Spaces that would have more natural wear, i hit those areas more.  Like this desk where people would have put there feet – i hit those areas a little heavier.

white desk 015

Random pics of cuteness

white desk 007

white desk 019

I left desk with the original stained top – just refreshed it with a little tung oil

white desk 012 white desk 015

There are so many ways to distress furniture – i am still trying new ways and learning new things all the time.  And no two pieces distress the same way, so what may work on one, may not work on another.  Ahhh – the joys of painting furniture :)

This desk is for sale on Sweet Pickins if you are local to Utah – go here for more information

17 Responses to {Distressing with an electric sander}

1. destiny March 24, 2011 at 11:42 pm #

ohhhh I have to try this.. I just painted my sideboard yellow and it needs a little sand me down…do you think it would work just as well with me using my hand? I dont have a sander.

2. Carri @ Redefining C March 25, 2011 at 12:42 am #

Oh I sooo wish I lived in Utah! I simply {heart} this!

3. Christa @ Stories of a House March 25, 2011 at 12:48 am #

I love the desk! The distressing is so pretty and cozy.

4. Barefoot Apron March 25, 2011 at 1:43 am #

you inspire me to work on the 12 projects just sitting in the garage… :)

5. Teresa March 25, 2011 at 4:09 am #

I love the distressed look too. Some people worry that it may go out of style someday and they will be stuck with it. But I say, go for it! Well used and distressed furniture has been around since the beginning of time and I don't see it losing it's appeal at all. You did an excellent job as it doesn't look planned at all. Just looks as if it happened naturally.

6. **nicke... March 25, 2011 at 4:42 am #

oh me oh my! i love it!

7. Spittin Toad March 25, 2011 at 3:49 pm #

Love it!! I'm need to find a little project to try it on…Think I'll make a trip to the goodwill today!! Any great ideas for an old TV with legs (that I found for free on the side of the rode)?? We really don't need another fish aquarium. :)
    Denise

8. Pine Tree Home March 25, 2011 at 5:09 pm #

I think of distressing as therapy. Where else can you nick it all up and feel good about it.

9. Kim @ Second Time Furniture March 26, 2011 at 6:09 am #

I'm with you…the more distressing, the better! The table looks awesome!

10. She Likes Shoes March 27, 2011 at 9:47 am #

the furniture look fab!!

11. Chrissie March 29, 2011 at 1:36 pm #

I love the desk. I too love distressing, it gave it so much character. Beautiful!

12. KarenSue March 30, 2011 at 8:56 am #

I thought you needed another follower! Glad to find you..I just started redoing furniture. I'll be listening!

13. Sue@Uniquely Chic March 31, 2011 at 10:10 pm #

Love heavily distressed furniture! I just did the same thing, pulling out the sander rather than paper for the first time. i love the way your table turned out. Hopped over from Kim @ Gussied up…a new follower!

14. the nayz April 3, 2011 at 4:29 am #

I just found you on Ucreate and I know you!! We have met all of maybe 2 times but my huuby sure knows yours (he got all the giant boulders for your back yard). I am so glad that you are able to fulfill your dream and good luck in your journey! Can't wait to see more of your goodies!

15. Kim April 3, 2012 at 9:09 am #

just wondering if you put 1 or 2 coats of white/cream paint on and then sanded?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} April 16, 2012 at 8:45 am #

normally i do 2 coats

16. Jo May 3, 2012 at 3:26 am #

Your style & technique are exactly what I’ve been looking for! I can’t wait to hit some rummage sales! Thanks!