{Craft Hutch}

I got this computer armoire a while back and loved its cute curved top and raised panel doors right away.  BUT – it was a computer armoire, do people really use those anymore?  I don’t know?  But, i had an idea for it right away – how’s about a craft hutch?  If i didn’t have a dedicated craft room i definitely would use this piece :)

I started with this…cute right?  Well cute bones anyways.

garage and farm table 024

Then  i gave it my blue/green oops paint color and heavily glazed it with a brown stain – i talked about glazing here.  AND, i get emails all the time about this color.  It was an oops paint and the nice guys @ Lowes blacked everything out on top of the can with a black marker.  I cant see a thing – i tried.  SO, when i get it matched – which i will because i use this paint A LOT, i will post it here for all to see :)

And the after…  better huh?  But wait till you see its guts…

crafthutch1 038

Ahhhh yaaaaa….cute huh?  Well, i think so anyways.

crafthutch1 045

I took off the back panel, added pegboard for some hanging storage.  Put chalkboard and pegboard on the insides of the doors.  Made some little fabric baskets (which are included if you were to buy this piece).

It has a large desk that slides out and then a smaller one slides out from that one.  Nifty.

crafthutch1 048

crafthutch1 049

Some more storage with a big ol drawer for stashin all that junk

crafthutch1 051

crafthutch1 052

Anyways, tell me what you guys think?  Would people use this?  Would you use something like this if you didn’t have a craft room?  Thoughts please because i come across a lot of these computer armoires.  Thanks!!!

For purchasing information, head over to my Sweet Pickins site

46 Responses to {Craft Hutch}

1. elise March 4, 2011 at 8:50 pm #

um, I LOVE THIS!
    if i could, i would snatch it right up!

2. Jennifer March 4, 2011 at 8:52 pm #

Wow. This is so awesome. I really need one of these in my life…my craft projects would be much better organized!

3. Sharon March 4, 2011 at 8:57 pm #

Love it! I have one that is similar, but just holds an accumulation of "stuff" right now. The desktop computer that I used to have in it, always seemed to build up heat…not good for the computer. We're all on laptops now, so it's time to re-purpose. The area on the bottom right, did you add/make a drawer there? That's where the desktop tower goes on mine, so it's all open. Maybe I'll measure my sewing machine for that space and use it for sewing rather than scrapbooking. Hmmm. I've already added cork to the one side (same side as you did), so I think I'll put more pegboard (that stuff is useful!!) on the right side – chalkboard is cute, but I wouldn't use it much. Once I move in May, I'm going to paint mine (black, it's currently blue) and finish it's inside makeover. Thanks for the inspiration to move this project to the top of my list!

4. Peppermint Plum March 4, 2011 at 8:59 pm #

Of course! This is beautiful! I've actually been searching around for a computer/tv cabinet just like this to transform into a craft storage cabinet.. just like this! :) This is amazing. I love the chalkboard and cork on the inside. And the pegboard backing!

Great job :)

-Annie @ {PeppermintPlum}

5. Hillary March 4, 2011 at 9:00 pm #

I love it! Love the color and the purpose. I think it's great! I think it would be even better if you added a few dowels in to top for hanging spools of ribbon. And maybe some of those wall file holders to the insides for papers? I think the pegboard idea is fabulous.

I recently turned a similar TV armoire into a computer armoire for my kids to use with our desktop computer. When they're done with it, I think its next incarnation might be as a craft armoire!

6. Hillary March 4, 2011 at 9:02 pm #

Sorry. Should proofread before posting. "…into THE top…" Duh.

7. Nichole @ Barillafab4.blogspot.com March 4, 2011 at 9:16 pm #

SO fun..great place to contain and hide all that "stuff" when you dont have a whole room you can devote to it! PERFECT!

8. Gloria Fox March 4, 2011 at 9:17 pm #

I absolutely love this! What a great idea to add the pegboard for the back. Can't wait to hear what that color is. It's gorgeous.

9. Saby March 4, 2011 at 9:18 pm #

I would rather use this than my current craft room! I love the idea of being able to close the doors and all the mess is put away…it's just not the same when I close the door to an actual room… Amazing job!

10. Christa @ Stories of a House March 4, 2011 at 9:32 pm #

Holy cow, girl! What amazing attention to detail. This certainly won't last long…

11. Alissa March 4, 2011 at 9:35 pm #

I think it is clever and fantastic. I love the pegboard for hanging tools and such and the baskets for hiding stuff. What a great project.

12. Artfulife March 4, 2011 at 9:50 pm #

It turned out great! I need one of those for my craft area.

13. ShicShoppe March 4, 2011 at 9:58 pm #

That's just what I need. LOVE it!

14. Joni March 4, 2011 at 10:04 pm #

Okay…I seriously LOVE this! Great job!

15. Erin Zacharda March 4, 2011 at 10:04 pm #

Oh my goodness, your projects are AMAZING! You really have an eye for great transformations :)
    I would LOVE it if you would share one of your BEFORE & AFTER projects over at my {first ever} linky party…pretty please?

Love you blog, by the way!
    ~Erin

16. Allison {A Glimpse Inside} March 4, 2011 at 10:29 pm #

Fabulous job! Love everything you did!

17. Sa-Sea Boutique March 4, 2011 at 11:14 pm #

this is absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. SHERI March 4, 2011 at 11:32 pm #

I absolutely LOVE your stuff!!!I wished I lived in Utah- I would totally buy this. I also wanted that round table you just did. You have such great prices and beautiful stuff. I almost don't want to follow because I get sad everytime I see something and I know I can't have it!

19. Love Being A Nonny March 5, 2011 at 12:27 am #

This is fabulous! I would LOVE one of these!!

20. Traci@ Beneath My Heart March 5, 2011 at 12:58 am #

I absolutely love this!!! So great and functional! And beautiful!
    I'm gonna link to this on my facebook page. :)
    Thanks for sharing.

21. the modern cottage March 5, 2011 at 1:22 am #

I think people would love it! I used our old cottage style tv amoire in my office and it is great storage.
    alison of themoderncottagecompany.blogspot.com

22. Susan @ homeroad.net March 5, 2011 at 2:21 am #

Sausha I think this is great! If I didn't have a craft room I would be loving this hutch. I'm sure people would agree. You did a wonderful job on the painting. I love the color!
    It is great!
    Susan

23. Anonymous March 5, 2011 at 3:03 am #

I wish that I was closer to you….would buy this in a second…..in fact…you got me thinking about an amoire that I have although mine is not a computer amoire so it would be a bit more challening to repurpose this way….go for it…I can't imagine that these would not sell…particularly with your touch! Andrea
    AndeM1@hotmail.com

24. The Girl Creative March 5, 2011 at 3:09 am #

You are amazing. This came out really beautiful. :) I'd use this in a heartbeat. xoxo

25. Holly Austin March 5, 2011 at 6:12 am #

I've seen this done before and I think it's a fabulous idea – so creative! And pretty too :)

26. Kim @ Second Time Furniture March 5, 2011 at 7:48 am #

Wow! However inappropriate, the word that comes to mind is totally "pimped out!" Awesome!

27. Rhonda March 5, 2011 at 1:14 pm #

This turned out fantastic! Makes me wish my old armoire was a computer one so I had all those little drawers! Great job…

28. Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions March 5, 2011 at 1:33 pm #

I actually have a computer armoire even bigger than this one, Sausha! Right now that whole computer section is empty because we got rid of our PC {we all use laptops now}, but I do use a second section for filing and bills, etc. I have been thinking of how I can use it when we downsize and as a craft area has been one idea. I might not have the room for a craft room or actual space and it will be good if I can close the doors on it. So, it might be something that would appeal to those in small spaces or who are downsizing.

29. Erin March 5, 2011 at 2:02 pm #

I just found your website, my mom sent me your url. I love what you have done, I especially liked the how to grey wood tutorial. Very cool! Thanks for your inspiration, I will definitely have to try some stuff that you have.
    Thanks!
    Erin

30. paige March 5, 2011 at 2:19 pm #

This is amazing! I have been looking high and low for a hutch to use in my craft room!!!! You did an outstanding job! Thanks for sharing!!!

31. angelfitch March 5, 2011 at 2:41 pm #

This is amazing! I have a match to this cabinet! I use it as a computer desk right now while I wait for my dh to buy me a laptop ;o) but I've been wanting to refinish it in exactly this way! I'm so glad to see this, bc it gives me the courage to jump in and do it, too! Thanks for posting!!! LOVE IT!!
    ~Terry

32. Sawdust and Paperscraps March 5, 2011 at 2:46 pm #

Awesome Sausha!

33. A Few Pennies March 5, 2011 at 3:34 pm #

Fabulous idea! Great job–I would love to have that.

34. bibbitybob March 5, 2011 at 3:53 pm #

What a fabulous idea, I love it! x

35. Rachel March 6, 2011 at 4:55 am #

You are right, a craft center is much more inviting than a computer hid away! So inviting!!!!
    I do have an art room, but I would still use this!!!!
    Glad I followed the Saturday Nite Special blog party on over here! Pop on by and say hi : http://cookscleansplayswithpaper.blogspot.com/

36. Sarah @ Sarahndipities March 7, 2011 at 6:40 pm #

So, so super cute!!! I would love for you to share this at my Make Something Monday Link Party!

-Sarah

37. Lauren @ YoungNester March 7, 2011 at 10:22 pm #

I absolutely LOVE this! I love that you replaced the back board with a pegboard; great idea!

38. Kristen @ ladybug-blessings.com March 9, 2011 at 4:09 am #

I LOVE this!! If I find a hutch cheap I am definitely going to do this!! If you have a chance please stop by handmade tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings http://www.ladybug-blessings.com

39. Anonymous March 9, 2011 at 7:02 pm #

Love it, too bad your too far but maybe you can ship them. Love me a craft storage…

40. Maggie @ SweetwaterBaby March 14, 2011 at 4:15 pm #

Wait…you MADE fabric baskets?? Yup…gonna need a tutorial on that one! :)

41. Marci Jolley March 25, 2011 at 4:31 pm #

Love love love this!!!That was such a great idea.

42. the nayz April 3, 2011 at 4:33 am #

If I didn't have a dedicated room, I would so use this.

And, do you have a problem with computer armoires?? We still have one only because we need to lock it so our son isn't on the computer 24:7. Although, I should update it-I've been wanting to for awhile now. I am sure that I wll find some inspiration looking on your blog.

43. Stephanie Tobler April 10, 2011 at 5:24 am #

I just found you and I love love love love love this!!! So cute and compact! I just have too much crafting stuff to fit into that one little drawer. But it's beautiful!

44. Edna June 17, 2011 at 7:32 am #

Just found you tonight and I'm smitten with your blog! I love this hutch, right up my alley too :-) I need one too!

45. Fran November 3, 2011 at 1:26 pm #

This would be good even if you have a craft room. I think I'm going to find one of these and turn it into a Cricut station. I'm going to put narrow shelves along the back to hold my cartridges and pegboard on the upper half of the doors. Thanks for giving me the inspiration.

46. Emilou February 8, 2012 at 9:37 am #

Morning, just found you thru pinterest. Love this idea as I am currently changing out my computer desk to a craft storage area. I am blessed to have a craft room and am still putting this furniture into the room.