{my version of a farmhouse table}

Dear Santi (current husband),

I have recently fallen for a new fella.  He’s massive, rugged, huge, sturdy, he will support me in all my crafty endeavors – which you currently groan about.  He doesnt mind a little spilled paint,  glitter , fabric thrown about, papers and tools everywhere.  He wont complain when i leave a giant mess on his huge top, he understands me – he knows that i am a messy girl.  We just get each other…

I could go on and on about my new love, i could tell you how much i love his big strong wood, but i wouldnt want to make you jealous (and i dont want to lose readers for being nasty!).

Anyways, i am sorry but you must move on so my new fella can move in

Sausha

Yup, that’s what i would say – and tonight if  i had to make the choice – i would definitely pick my new table!!!

My dad gave me a bunch of old weathered wood a few months back and it has been patiently waiting for me outside to build me a craft table – and i am so glad i finally got it done!!!

Last weekend, my husband had his army weekend – so i dragged the wood inside so the snow could melt (i did lay down some plastic and a few blankets so i didn’t ruin my wood floors…).  I knew i better get this done while he wasn’t home, because working in the entry way would bug him – and i would never want to bug him (wink, wink).

Look at all this good wood!!!  I so love old weathered wood – i could stare at it all day… :)

garage and farm table 009

My wood was nasty!  i found old leaves, feathers, tons of dryer lint (it was under my vent), bug cocoons, bug pooh, just a lot of nastiness.

garage and farm table 011

So, part of the wood that i got had these old jigs of some sort – i have no idea what they were used for, but they were perfect for the end parts of my table – it was sooooo meant to be :)

I started by taking the 8×8 timbers and cutting those – now keep in mind that this is not normally where i work.  These timbers are heavy and i didn’t want to be taking them in and out of the house.  I am lazy smart like that.  Work smart not hard, isn’t that what someone says??

garage and farm table 013

After those babies were cut, i attached my end pieces to the legs with some lug nuts.  Easy peasy

garage and farm table 017

After they were both done, i had to assemble my table in my craftroom.  So down the stairs they went to their new home.  And they are never leaving, because this table is like a 1000 pounds!!!

I just spaced the 2 ends to where i needed them and started nailing the top on.  I used a framing nailer because i didn’t want to screw them in, again im lazy smart like that.

garage and farm table 019

After i nailed the top on, i added a little skirt to the side to finish it off

garage and farm table 020

garage and farm table 042

After it was all done…

garage and farm table 039

There he is, i love him so!!!  I still need to figure out what i am going to do on the top.  I love the natural wood color – so for sure i am not going to paint it.  But i do need to something with the top – i will be really sad if my new BF gave me slivers and snagged my fabric or my fancy schmancy paint clothes (which i put on when i get home from work, painting or not!!).

SO, i may sand it down a little and put some sort of top coat on it or wax – i just don’t know yet??

garage and farm table 044

In this pic you cant really tell how big he is, since my room is bare there is nothing to really compare it too.  But that wasn’t the case not to long ago.  I am hoping to build some shelves this weekend – and then get all my crap back in my room.  Then i will show you guys some before, during and after pics of my craftroom :)

Until then…

garage and farm table 048

84 Responses to {my version of a farmhouse table}

1. **nicke... January 13, 2011 at 5:02 am #

oh! i am in LOVE with it too! i am amazed at your abilities!

2. Funky Junk Interiors January 13, 2011 at 5:06 am #

WHAT?!?

Just when I tell myself I have to get off the net for the night, you go and whip this up and taunt me. :)

I'm at a loss for witty words. I just WANT THAT. Amazing, girl, and I'm even more impressed you kinda made it up as you went along!

Now, please explain how to install a lug nut. Do you have to predrill the hole I presume? Oh yes I'm going to make this! :)

Donna

3. Robin January 13, 2011 at 5:06 am #

OH! MY! That's all my poor brain can think before it completely shuts down from the beauty that is your new farmhouse table. You are AMAZING and so is your table.

4. Kristi January 13, 2011 at 5:10 am #

Oooh, girl!! That is nice!

5. Tiffany January 13, 2011 at 5:19 am #

You are amazing! Your talents never cease! I SO love this Miss Sausha! It's MARVELOUS!! I'm in LOVE too!! Great JOB sista!

6. Minkee Baby Gifts January 13, 2011 at 5:20 am #

No WAY! I cut my pieces inside also! My hubby says "Why don't you do that outside?" "IT IS COLD!" I tell him.

Your table is beautiful, well done.

7. Tyla January 13, 2011 at 5:37 am #

Okay, I'm feeling really lazy right now. Just looking at this post made me tired. I am very impressed. I would have been overwhelmed, for sure. Great job on the table. And I love your front door, too! Thanks for sharing.

8. Sara {Sara's Closet} January 13, 2011 at 5:54 am #

Wow!!! that looks amazing! it is beyond beautiful…I think you shouldn't paint it either, it's beautiful the way it is!!

9. ♥Amber Filkins♥ January 13, 2011 at 6:09 am #

Oh my, I am in ♥♥♥ with your table too! It is SO FANTASTIC! And I'm super impressed that you made it yourself.

And I love your wood floors. Exactly what I want.

And I love that your joke about wood. ;)

10. Green Gracie Home January 13, 2011 at 10:54 am #

you are too talented and too funny! The table is drool worthy (I am drooling and my keyboard doesn't like it) and are all hubby's the same? Mine always loves the end results, but doesn't always appreciate the creative process. have fun crafting!

11. Shelley January 13, 2011 at 12:44 pm #

Ooooo… me likey!!! Now I want one! How fabulous to have all that space to do whatever you want on it. Lately I've been using my kitchen island. Both the island and my hubby are a little upset about that. I'm pretty sure it's still sporting some spray adhesive from a couple of months ago :D

12. Jess January 13, 2011 at 1:11 pm #

That is beautiful. You could get a piece of Plexi to put on top so that you can see the beautiful wood but no splinters or snags.

13. elisabeth (bovagoods) January 13, 2011 at 1:21 pm #

i LOVE this table! i had some really old timbers from a 100 year old building that i had my F-I-L make a huge picture frame out of. I wanted it to be very natural looking and not at all "polyurethaned". But it needed to be sealed to keep out moisture and protect it, etc. I was so afraid that whatever i would use would alter the color of the wood. i emailed miss mustard seed (love her) and she said to use one layer of "paste wax" and NOT to buff it after it dries. it totally worked. the frame looks great! i can tell that the wax filled in the little nooks and crannies, protecting the wood, but after it dried the color was exaclty the same as before. hope that helps! sorry so long! regards, elisabeth

14. Reba January 13, 2011 at 1:31 pm #

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful…but I was cringing thinking about doing that on those beautiful floors.

Reba

15. { The Painted Home } January 13, 2011 at 1:40 pm #

Get the heck outta' here! this is unbelievable!!! I L O V E this table!
    And what a perfect work room ~ your foyer, couldn't be more perfect. hubby has to go away more often!
    I love you blog too!
    thanks –
    denise

16. Biz January 13, 2011 at 1:41 pm #

What a beautiful table! I'm curious how much a nice piece of beveled glass would cost to place on top…seems like that would not only protect your fabric and crafts, but the beautiful table as well! I love it!
    Biz

17. Erica January 13, 2011 at 1:53 pm #

I LOVE your table!! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who builds things in her house…getting sawdust everywhere ;-) Can't wait to see your finished room!

18. Creative Ambitions January 13, 2011 at 2:33 pm #

GULP!! I LOVE this!! Let me pick my jaw up off the floor, now! It's a big hunk-u-chunk of rustic gorgeousness!! I agree with Donna… tutorial on lug nuts!!

Kendra

19. Cannwin January 13, 2011 at 2:40 pm #

Aren't Army Weekends the best!? My husband went IRR for about 2 years and by the time he went back I was nearly crazy for a weekend off. I'd never admit it to him, but I enjoy having days to just do what I want without worrying about him.

Now if only I could find some fantastic wood like that–I'd love some stools.

20. Orange it Lovely January 13, 2011 at 2:48 pm #

oh so Jealous! I love the table!!
    great job
    ~Tana

21. Courtney January 13, 2011 at 3:03 pm #

Wow. Just, Wow. That is awesome.

22. Claudia January 13, 2011 at 3:23 pm #

Hello,
    I am a new follower. I love farm tables. Yours is fabulous! I wish I could do this. Your blog is wonderful and inspiring.
    Thank you for sharing. I hope you don't mind if I add you to my inspirational blog roll.
    Claudia

23. Kari @ Ucreate January 13, 2011 at 4:00 pm #

Sausha,
    I can't believe you just whipped this up with some old wood your dad gave you!! You rock and I'll be sharing this with my readers!! THANKS!

24. Price Cream Parlor January 13, 2011 at 4:18 pm #

This is fantastic! I love that you just created that on your own! So glad I found your blog!

25. Anonymous January 13, 2011 at 4:20 pm #

OK, you're officially my fave blog. The farmhouse post did it for me. Has to be my new favorite table. You amaze me with your talent. Please keep the inspiration coming:) Misty

26. Emily January 13, 2011 at 4:20 pm #

WOW I'm impressed!

27. Lisa @ greylustergirl January 13, 2011 at 4:32 pm #

Um… WOW! This table is going to come to a lot of good use!

28. Kelly January 13, 2011 at 4:43 pm #

LOVE your table!!! So simple but so gorgeous!! I typically wait till my husband is out of town for messy projects as well, it's just so much easier that way…and helps keep the peace ;) Great Job!

29. Reenie January 13, 2011 at 4:46 pm #

WOW!!! Just WOW!!!

30. Mandi January 13, 2011 at 4:54 pm #

Beautiful. You and I have quite similar tastes in decor. I have many pictures bookmarked for my future projects. I just wanted to give a suggestion about the top to this table. Something I did with my last craft table. How about a floating glass or plexi top? You can see the wood through the clearness yet you won't snag anything, it is super easy to clean, and if you ever wanted to, you could slip little things between the wood and glass for decoaration. Like vintage valentine day cards, black and white pictures of your favorite vacataion, post cards, the sky is the limit. You could even put seasonal leaves or dried flowers in there. Or leave it plain. All you need is the glass or plexi cut to size and the rubber bumpers (yes, technical term) to put in the corners so the glass doesn't slip off. How high you want the glass determines how tall your rubber bumpers are.
    Good luck!!! No matter what you do with it, it is gorgeous!
    Mandi
    mandi@deputy.org

31. Jennifer January 13, 2011 at 4:58 pm #

New to your blog and found my way via Funky Junk interiors sharing on facebook. Just wanted to say that I love your table! Super chunky and fabulously rustic!!! Nice work and thanks for inspiring ;-)

32. Immi January 13, 2011 at 5:08 pm #

Really gorgeous!

33. Desiree Guy January 13, 2011 at 5:19 pm #

AMAZING!!! I love to see that I'm not the only one that does BIG projects "in" the house…but your house is much nicer!!!! & on your wood floors…lol I don't feel so bad now. But that table is AWESOME!!! I am now a follower:)

desiree~ http://CamelotArtCreations.blogspot.com/

34. Carriage House Antiques January 13, 2011 at 6:33 pm #

Now even the hubby MUST be impressed with that!!!What an awesome job!!!I would put it right in my dining room!!
    Natalie
    U

35. Vallimasoos January 13, 2011 at 7:53 pm #

I am in Love too!!

36. Allison January 13, 2011 at 8:32 pm #

Gorgeous!!! Okay, Sausha, you seem the right person to ask. I am taking down a swingset this spring and want to make a table like this. What kind of saw do I invest in??? What kind of saw do you find the most useful in your projects? Thanks!

37. Kristi~The Slipcover Girl January 13, 2011 at 8:37 pm #

heavens to betsy…i love it! and i love that you drug it inside to cut!

38. Starwood Country Creations January 14, 2011 at 12:13 am #

I just found you through Donna @ Funky Junks Facebook post … I'm seriously envious of the wood your Dad gave you as well as your amazing talent to "whip this up"

I'm officially jealous of your new BF

Jo

39. Christa @ Stories of a House January 14, 2011 at 12:24 am #

Okay, girlfriend. I know exactly what you need to do with this beauty. Emails will be flying. I agree, this wood should take the place of any other. It would mine, too :)

40. Susan January 14, 2011 at 1:14 am #

Wow!!! I love that table! You make it look so easy, your hall closet too. You must be very handy!
    Thanks for the great site!

Susan

myhomeroad.blogspot.com

41. Candi @ Sweet Designs Boutique January 14, 2011 at 1:42 am #

I would be in love too with a table like that. I need to drag out the old barn wood that I have – I think it could be 100 years old.

42. Shaunna January 14, 2011 at 2:48 am #

absolutely gorgeous!!! you know I love it! -shaunna :)

43. Laura January 14, 2011 at 2:55 am #

Oh my gosh. Gorgeous!

44. taidyeoriginal January 14, 2011 at 3:17 am #

this is amazing!! great job! ~tai @ taidye original

45. maleahbliss January 14, 2011 at 5:45 am #

I just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for a Stylish Blogger Award!! Come on over to accept! :)

LittleEme.blogspot.com

46. destiny January 14, 2011 at 1:42 pm #

JUST LOVE IT!!! So so so great Sausha!

47. Vintage French Hen January 14, 2011 at 2:00 pm #

BRAVO!!!! What a fantastic job you did, love it! Marcia

48. Inspire Me Heather January 14, 2011 at 2:58 pm #

ok I'm IMPRESSED! I linked it to my "dining room tables" project post too!!!

49. Pamela January 14, 2011 at 7:23 pm #

Thats awesome!

50. Heather @ The Black's Best January 14, 2011 at 11:24 pm #

I love this table and I think it will be even more gorgeous with the top finished up…sanding and linseed oil maybe? Go you for building it yourself!

51. Kristen @ Just Live Simply January 15, 2011 at 1:28 am #

That is my dream table!! Great job!
    Kristen

52. Lesley January 15, 2011 at 6:18 am #

I want it. Now. In my house. Now.

Holy crap I love it!

53. Josie Dean January 15, 2011 at 12:59 pm #

Just Beautiful! Wondering if you can put a glass top on it? Just a suggestion! That way you can still see you beautiful table!

54. Lori January 15, 2011 at 2:10 pm #

OMG This is great! Thanks for joining Get your craft on Thursday at Life As Lori!

I'm having a Valentine Party that will be up until 2-14-11. I would love for you to join me!
    Lori

55. Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking January 15, 2011 at 3:03 pm #

Oh my goodness this table is awesome! You are so talented to have made this yourself. SO IMPRESSED! I am new to your blog. I really like it!

56. I Play Outside The Box January 15, 2011 at 3:35 pm #

I found your blog through a linky party….so glad I did…that table ROCKS!!!! I'm so glad to see someone else who is gutsy enough to saw wood inside the house….I thought I was the only one who did that once. lol

57. barbara@hodge:podge January 15, 2011 at 4:06 pm #

OK, no fair, you know how to use scary power tools! I love what you made, amazing! Have fun crafting, hope hubby won't mind your new love :)

58. Jessica Hills January 15, 2011 at 7:29 pm #

I am in love with this table too!!

59. antiquechase January 15, 2011 at 8:04 pm #

Hi! I was "alerted" to your blog post because frankly, we both say "Easy Peasy"…

You want proof don't you? LOL

Okay!

I love the table but have to admit that I almost couldn't look at the computer screen in fear of seeing you damage your beautiful wood floors..

Love LOVE the table… I now have table envy!!

60. Amanda January 15, 2011 at 11:04 pm #

I LOVE it!!!

61. ...............Michele @ Portlandia Vintage January 16, 2011 at 12:26 am #

I am more in awe you made the table than the table itself! You must be a force of nature!

62. Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence January 16, 2011 at 3:26 am #

OM goodness, absolutely fabulous–speechless :0 that is my mouth wide open!

63. Pamma January 16, 2011 at 1:45 pm #

Wow…this thing is huge and beautiful! You are the man, I mean WOMAN!
    Great job.

64. Denise January 17, 2011 at 1:43 am #

Oh my gosh! You are fearless!!! And inspiring. Your table is FABULOUS!!!! If you have time, I would love for you to link this post (or any of your other ones) to my blog party at http://firstadream.blogspot.com/

65. Lindy January 17, 2011 at 7:53 pm #

I can so see why you're in love ….me too. You just inspired me to go retrieve some wood I've just become interested in from a reno !!!!

66. Carisa January 18, 2011 at 4:03 am #

I wish I had a trace of the abilities that you do!!! How do you accomplish something like that without your husband???? WOW. Love it!

67. The DIY Show Off January 18, 2011 at 2:28 pm #

Wow! It's gorgeous! I LOVE it too! Just my style. You did a fantastic job! Can't wait to see more! ;)

Roeshel

68. Beth@The Stories of A2Z January 19, 2011 at 12:42 am #

What is so funny is that when I first saw it I thought, "Oh Donna would LOVE this table." And then I see she was number 2 to comment. I mean, really, what girl wouldn't want this table, but it has a raw, earthy, funky junk quality about it. Your carpentry skills are inspiring girlfriend! (And your naughty letter was perfect! Loved it. ;) Can't wait to see the room all gussied up and complete!

69. Loving This Mom Stuff January 19, 2011 at 3:26 pm #

I am AMAZED! Love this table. Nice work!!

Liz

70. Jaymee January 21, 2011 at 1:30 am #

Yep, I'm in love too!! I'm trying to figure out where I could find some barn wood!! I want to make one, thanks for the great inspiration!!!
    ~J

71. The Farm-Marm January 21, 2011 at 2:15 am #

OMGosh! I have found you! my long lost fraternal twin! hee hee! I found your site a couple of weeks ago and am loving LOVING it! This post cracked me up. Not just for the letter, but the pictures! my hubster laments over my many projects that usually only get half finished (ok a few make it to 90 %, but VERY few make it to 99% or more!) I love the picture of the wood just brought in..did I mention you are my twin? i do the exact same thing! i haven't found such awesome posts yet, but, i am looking! i have two old zinc table tops out in the garage just calling me for rehab…and a dining table that needs some new paint..AND GLAZE! there's a pile of old windows outside that i need some project for before the termites find them….and a couple of doors….hmmmm i guess i have some work to do! now where's my nailgun……

72. Snappy Di January 21, 2011 at 7:34 pm #

This table is PERFECT and my husband would absolutely hate it, so bring it on!!

Di

73. Ashley @ The Hillside Home January 22, 2011 at 8:29 pm #

In love with this table! Featured it this morning on my blog! thehillsidehome.blogspot.com

74. Anonymous February 27, 2011 at 6:03 am #

i'm still wrapping my ahead around the ginormity of that table!

75. Funky Junk Interiors May 1, 2011 at 6:56 pm #

My favorite table here got a feature on FJI Facebook for SNS 79 this weekend. :)

Still enjoying it as much as the day you put it up?

Donna

76. Bambi Pro May 1, 2011 at 7:26 pm #

WOW ~ great job. I too am in love and it doesn't even belong to me. Can't wait to see the room when done.

77. KarenSue May 1, 2011 at 8:28 pm #

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!! I will never look at a pile of wood the same way.. If you can I can!
    Great job!! You win the prize!!!1

78. Jacqueline May 2, 2011 at 6:51 pm #

I'm in love….you did an amazing job I think you should just put some wax on it. I have piles of weathered wood sitting outside….I would love to make a kitchen table. Thanks for sharing this creation!

79. plumbing June 19, 2011 at 8:49 am #

Great post. That's a lot of work but I guess the result is very satisfying.

80. Natacha November 1, 2011 at 3:46 pm #

CaN I JUST SAY THANK YOU! I It is so nice to see other creatives work in the same manner as I do. I love how you have the raw wood just in your living room and dust and what ever all over the place. Not really concerned about your wood flooring…. The most important part is that you are deep in the creative process creating MASTERPIECES!!! My Husband always freaks out when he sees me starting a project :) I spray painted yesterday and he saw the final product hanging in the kitchen and then asked "please tell me you did not spray in here!" LOL Of course I didn't! I did it in the living room!

81. Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke December 4, 2012 at 7:08 pm #

Wow, i can’t believe you did all that yourself!!! I am such a wimp and defer to my husband for tough jobs, I need to put on my big girl panties! I just hopped over from Shelley’s blog (house of smiths) and have about 10 tabs of your site opened up on my laptop right now–LOVE so much! the EAT sign (trying to plan out on top of my cabinets), the planking, this taable, your distressing techniques, etc. I am looking at planking a room, and getting tips, but now you’ve got me wanting to make a bunch of other projects! A farm table has been in the works for a while now…

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} December 6, 2012 at 10:52 am #

thanks so much!! Good luck on all your projects – once you start, you cant stop!

82. Lisa M December 30, 2012 at 5:50 pm #

So jealous!! love your craft room,you have inspired me! so funny to see the saw dust. I create things where they will live and my neighbor always says,” your husband LETS you do that!!” Ha hysterical!