{my craproom – i mean craftroom}

Im lucky enough to have my own craft space (well, i actually have several of my own spaces in this house – my husband doesnt appreciate that very much…more on that later).  But this room WAS a huge mess.  I admit that i am a messy crafter, but really i didnt have time to use this room and it never was really “done” so it just became a space to neatly store chuck all my crap.

Before my husband left to Iraq we got the room finished (well, most of the way) and i painted the walls a creamy yellow.  I have no idea what i was thinking with the yellow – so after he left to Iraq, i painted it a light blue – its easier to re-do things when i dont have to explain the “why’s” about re-painting a room that was just painted ;)

So, i bought a $30 good will dresser, painted it white and then built a giant hutch to set on the dresser – a space big enough to hold all of my crap.

1st set 005

It worked for a while but when Santi came home from Iraq we finished out the basement floors and i decided i wanted to build my farmhouse table table and go with different shelving that didnt take up so much room.  So the hutch was sold.

But before i cleaned it out – my room looked like this most of the time :)

craftroom before 004

craftroom before 006

Can anyone possibly work in a space like this?!?  And how cute is that table?!  i love it but dont have anywhere for it so its getting a new coat of paint and going up for sale.

craftroom before 009

So, while we were putting in our new flooring i stashed all of my crap in our future home theatre room.  This is a big room – and i took this pic when i had already started moving crap out.  Its a mess…a big fat mess…

craftroom jan 002

So now i have a cleaned out craft room, with my new table that i posted about here.  I built my shelves last weekend and was hoping to finish painting them this week – but i have had a horrible stomach bug and have not been doing anything – which is very hard because i am not a “lay around” kinda girl.

My weekend plan is to get this room done!!  I cant wait to have my room back and spend some time with my new boyfriend table.

23 Responses to {my craproom – i mean craftroom}

1. Amber January 21, 2011 at 3:41 am #

I love the small table! I also love the windows propped up on the wall. I am insearch for at least one for my bedroom re-do… These would be perfect :)

2. Kristi January 21, 2011 at 3:51 am #

Wow, that hutch was amazing! My craft studio looks just like your theater room does now. I'm just beginning to brainstorm on what I want to do to make it more functional. My one huge wish is to have a wall of cubbies. I was planning to get them from IKEA, but you're so inspiring, I might just have to plan to build them myself.

Can't wait to see what you do with that room!

3. AntiqueChase January 21, 2011 at 3:55 am #

Oh my.. you just made me feel sooo much better about how my craproom looks…. Supposed to be my scraproom, but is more of a craproom…. HAHA…

Love the desk… wish I didn't already have 2 that I need to sell, LOL

4. Emily January 21, 2011 at 4:10 am #

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a craproom, except mine is my laundry room. I throw everything in there. It's always a total mess.
    Sorry to hear you've had the stomach flu, that is the worst.
    Can't wait to see what you do with the room when you feel better:)

5. The Coolest Thing January 21, 2011 at 5:06 am #

Awesome title…! Love your blog.

6. My Primitive Creations by Tonya January 21, 2011 at 5:41 am #

I think everyone has a Crap room… I make my living creating and I clean it up and within an hour it is a total craproom again…so don't feel alone…

Blessings
    Tonya

7. Christa @ Stories of a House January 21, 2011 at 11:45 am #

You're so funny. I think I may have to turn you in to the hoarders show. An intervention is long overdue! You already know my garage is the same way so who am I to talk? I'm always amazed at how you can build stuff. I'm looking forward to the big reveal!

8. mother of three fellas January 21, 2011 at 11:59 am #

Yep…I would be a little stressed too! I cant wait to see what you do with it! I love the table too.

9. Nichole@BarillaFab4.blogspot.com January 21, 2011 at 1:17 pm #

OK, so I am still jealous of your room…even crazy messy and disorganized so I cannot wait to see your fancy organized space ;)

10. kodie January 21, 2011 at 1:34 pm #

ohhhh, feeling soooo much better about my chronic disorganization in my crap room! thanks for sharing!!

11. Tanya January 21, 2011 at 3:53 pm #

I've got a 'craproom' too…unfortunately also my craft room.

I never thought of *building* my own hutch! Brilliant!

12. halfadozenroses January 21, 2011 at 6:03 pm #

I have to show my husband this! He thinks I'm a pig because my craft room is always a mess. I tell him I don't have time to clean it… I'm to busy coming up with new ideas & it's just gonna look like that again. I LOVE your table :)

13. Erin January 21, 2011 at 8:23 pm #

I can't believe you MADE that hutch!!! It is gorgeous!

My craft room looks alot like this. I mean, stuff everywhere…but mine doesn't even have the cuteness factor going for it. LOL

14. Destiny January 21, 2011 at 8:54 pm #

Can I go shopping in you craproom??? lol! You are more than welcomed shop in mine as well! xoxo Destiny

15. Erin January 21, 2011 at 10:55 pm #

What a fun room to decorate. I love the hutch! Can't wait to see the finished product!

16. Traci January 22, 2011 at 1:37 am #

I really like the blue of your craft room. I have converted my living room into my craft area which I have decided to call "my studio".
    Thanks for sharing.
    Traci

17. Suzanne January 22, 2011 at 5:02 pm #

That's going to turn out beautiful. It's always nice to have a room for your crap, I mean craft stuff.

Mine is in the basement. :( For now…

18. Claudia January 23, 2011 at 1:40 pm #

Hello,

I am a new follower. I love your hutch and the wallpaper behind the shelves are gorgeous. Can't wait to see your craft room done.
    I have added you to my inspirational blog roll. I hope you don't mind.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Claudia

19. Jan July 13, 2011 at 5:26 pm #

I would love to know how you built the hutch for the dresser. This is an awesome piece.

Thank you so much. Jan

20. Sherri Lee January 9, 2012 at 2:29 pm #

This is what my "sewing" room looks like…right down to the 3 old windows propped against the wall! I just explain that crafty people are always crafting and have no time to clean the crafty space! LOL. Love your site and will def. be back!

21. Sherri Lee January 9, 2012 at 2:29 pm #

22. Bev January 30, 2013 at 8:09 pm #

Love your crap room….mine is at the moment, my bedroom, and it is quite crowded. I am gradually getting organized. Luckily my brother is remodeling his house (which is where I live) so it fits in fine and I can extend the space by using the dining room. FOr 5 months, that was his ‘workshop’. full with jig saws, a miter saw, drills, etc. He moved them all upstairs awhile back and right now my very first painted piece is sitting out there. Now to get my room done so that piece can come back in for me to admire!

I have no doubt I will be back to your site often! Love it!!
    Bev at diygranny.blogspot.com

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} February 1, 2013 at 5:27 pm #

thank you!! Good luck with your room! Sounds like too much fun living in a construction zone ;)