{how i glaze furniture}

bench and hall tree 013

I get so many questions about how i paint furniture and the tools that i use – so i am going to break it down into a couple of posts.

This post will be about how i glaze furniture – i guess you probably can gather that by the title, but, just in case you didn’t read the title (how dare you)

Besides distressing a piece of furniture, this is my most favorite thing to do to bring a little life to a piece.  I do this on a lot of furniture that i paint – because i LOVE the way it looks.  Plus its a style that i really like, but i don’t personally have anything in my house that is glazed – so this is my way to get my “fix” – see what i am saying, did i loose ya?!

So, i am totally jumping ahead, i should do a post 1st about the tools that is use, then how i paint, and then maybe the glazing.  But this is my blog, and i am very disorganized and these are the pictures that i have taken so far :)

I first start off with a freshly painted piece of furniture.  This is a cedar/blanket chest that i just finished.  I painted it with a $5 oops paint that i got –  i love this color – i use it a LOT.  Its a creamy blue/gray/green – LOVE IT!!  It makes me want to paint all my walls antique white and repaint all my furniture this color (hmmm, that’s an idea, that i have been secretly thinking about….)

Before paint…

christmas 2010 138

After paint and a little bit of distressing…

table 001

For this piece  i used Valspar (Lowes) translucent mixing glaze and walnut stain (you can use any color of stain, or even paint).  I mix mine about 3:1, you really don’t need too much stain – a little goes a long way.  But, you can add as much stain/paint as you want – it just depends how you want the final result to be.

I use glaze because it helps me to be able to work with it longer – if you just rubbed paint/stain on a piece of furniture, you wouldn’t have a lot of time to work with it before it dried, that’s what the glaze is for.  The glaze is completely clear – you wont see any if it on your furniture.  I know that i am not explaining that very good – sorry…

table 010

So i mix everything up in a little plastic cup, then i use a cheap paint brush to brush it on the furniture.  My husband is asian – so we have chopsticks.  Well, i found that chopsticks were the perfect mixing tool for a lot of things.  But, i was using all of our “good” chopsticks – so now when we get chinese take-out, i take as many of the freebie chopsticks as i can – don’t tell :)

table 017

I start by brushing the glaze all over one part of the furniture.  You don’t need to be careful – go crazy, paint like your in 3rd grade.  Make sure you get into all the little cracks and imperfections – those are what will make your furniture look good when its all done.

Beautiful isn’t it…?!

table 004

Then take your best linens and wipe that thing down….not really, just use an old t-shirt

table 008

You can take as much or as little off as you want too – just depends on the look that you are going after.  Make sure and leave glaze in the cracks – because it looks good…

How long before you leave it on before you wipe it off just depends.  It depends on the temperature in the space you are working on, how porous the furniture is and how much glaze you want to stay on.  You will just have to play around with it.  Its fun.

table 018

When i was done with the front there was a few spots that i thought needed a little more, so i just slapped some on and re-wiped.  You can even do multiple coats to build it up.

table 019

Its that easy…so try it with a piece of furniture that you already have – it will totally change the feeling of it.

When all was done…

bench and hall tree 004

bench and hall tree 010

See how the glaze settles in to all the little cracks and dings…perfection :)

bench and hall tree 015

bench and hall tree 028bench and hall tree 017

Oh, can i tell you how much i love my red ruffle pillow – i got it at Target – and it was recent so i am sure they still have them.  And i LOVE blue and red together – so cute.  I also love my books that i tore of the covers and then tied them with burlap ribbon – who needs to read books – just use them for cute little vignettes :)

bench and hall tree 022

So, this bench is for sale.  Don’t tell my husband that i priced it high, because i secretly really want to keep it.  Its perfect for the end of my bed.  Please don’t sell… please don’t sell…

Ok, go glaze something :)

Linking up to these fun parties – go and check out all the projects!

143 Responses to {how i glaze furniture}

1. Jen-CraftOManiac January 1, 2011 at 9:50 pm #

ADORE SIMPLY ADORE. I have a un-finished foot board bench… that i HAVE yet to paint and glaze.. can you be my BESTEST friend and come over and do it with me CHEESE! ;) Thanks for the 411 Jen

2. marty (A Stroll Thru Life) January 1, 2011 at 10:42 pm #

Super great tutorial. Love the chest, it turned out perfect. Hopefully you can keep it. Hugs, Marty

3. Carisa's Cakes January 1, 2011 at 11:02 pm #

Thank YOU! I have been wanting to find a credible source for glazing furniture for quite some time–and I trust your expertise- you're furniture and house are AMAZING! I do have ONE question— Have you ever tried to paint laminate? I just finished painting up a HUGE entertainment center/system and some of the paint is chipping and peeling– do you think glazing would help to prevent the peeling and chipping? I have painted other laminate things but this particular piece(s) is really frustrating me! Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated! I love your blog so much, I am a faithful follower!! :)

• shrimp June 22, 2012 at 5:46 pm #

You need a special type of paint for going over laminate, as you are essentially painting over plastic. Regular wood paint doesn’t cut it, I’ve tried. Try your local store and ask what they’d recommend.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} June 25, 2012 at 6:10 pm #

yes! the adhesion primer @ Sherwin Williams is what i use – its awesome stuff!!

• Justine November 3, 2012 at 5:55 am #

Do you paint the white after the priming or is the white in the primer? slightly confused

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} November 6, 2012 at 7:31 am #

im not sure what you mean about the white? The bench was painted a light blue/green 1st and then was glazed after that.

• Justine November 6, 2012 at 7:42 am #

ohhh, ok. On my computer it looks white! could be why i was confused! ha.

4. Coveting A Cottage January 2, 2011 at 12:21 am #

Thanks for the tutorial! By the way, I have the same throw as you. I love it!

5. InMyOwnStyle January 2, 2011 at 1:29 am #

Hi Sausha-

I love to glaze and in the past have used white paint mixed with the glaze. I am going to be redoing my guest room furniture and haven't yet picked a color. I think I will glaze with a stain this time. Thanks for telling us your technique.
    Your chest came out beautiful. Nice to find the perfect ooops color.
    My best- Diane

6. Christa @ Stories of a House January 2, 2011 at 2:58 pm #

Great tutorial and details, and I love that chest!

7. Kim @ Second Time Furniture January 3, 2011 at 6:08 am #

I have glazed OR stained quite a few pieces, but I never thought to add stain to the glaze! Thanks for the tutorial! The chopsticks part was really funny!

8. Lexie & Jeff January 3, 2011 at 4:54 pm #

Great tut! I clicked on over from Skip to My Lou-I love all your work and your decorating style-just beautiful!

9. Camilla Jones (CioCo Photography) January 3, 2011 at 7:23 pm #

Love this! thanks so much for sharing, I've actually been wondering this and you break it down so simply. coming over from a link party and am your newest follower! huzzah.

10. MoeWest January 3, 2011 at 8:08 pm #

Have you ever glazed a piece that was painted black? I want to bring out the details on a dining room buffet and china cabinet, but I'm not sure what would look good on black.

• Karen February 4, 2012 at 9:51 pm #

I would also like to know how to glaze over black. I have a desk that is black that has a lot of detail and would like to bring it out.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} February 7, 2012 at 10:50 pm #

I dont think a brown glaze would show up on black, you could either try a white glaze or Valspar makes lots of metallic type glazes that might look really good over black, or just try distressing the details to get them to stand out.

• Rebecca January 16, 2013 at 4:38 am #

I am going to do bedroom furniture I just bought. I will be keeping it no matter how it turns out. Can you tell what color to get at the store used on this piece. I love the color, but there are so many to choose from at the store. I am not great with color yet. Thank you

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} January 16, 2013 at 5:50 pm #

The paint for that one was a $5 oops/mistint paint that i bought so i have no idea the name of the color. It was just a really light blue/green/gray!

11. Jennifer @lifecraftsandwhatever January 3, 2011 at 10:10 pm #

I love this! You make it look so simple. I'm going to show your post to hubby when he gets home. I've decided I hate our coffee table and I'd love to do something like this. I'm new to blogging, I'd love if you'd make a visit to mine!

12. Isabel January 3, 2011 at 10:22 pm #

Hello!

I just gave you the Stylish Blog Award!

13. Jana January 4, 2011 at 3:08 am #

I have a china cabinet to make-over so I look forward to your other posts too. It's been in my family forever so it needs to turn out good.

14. Tabitha January 4, 2011 at 5:43 am #

Thanks so much for the great tutorial on glazing-I am really itching to try it now!!
    A bit off topic but I love the little jars that were on the cakestand in the post about you kid's bathroom redo. Could you share where you got them? I'm thinking they'd be perfect for holding odds and ends in my scrap room! And I do love glass jars! :) Thanks!

15. Lori @ Projects Plenty January 4, 2011 at 1:20 pm #

The chest turned out really nice! Thanks for the tutorial, too.

16. Jenn January 4, 2011 at 4:57 pm #

Oh so cute! This is a great tutorial. I worked with wax a little this last summer and had a similar result. But, I've always been completely mystified by glaze. Thanks for explaining! :)

17. Jennifer~My Vintage Bliss January 4, 2011 at 8:59 pm #

I love it~ I was looking for some ideas on what to do with the bench in my entry way. I think this would be perfect.Thanks for the tutorial!

18. asp January 5, 2011 at 2:42 am #

Omg!! That was awesome!! Thanks so much for the tutorial. I've been hesitant in the past, but now I think that I might do it. Do you think that I could do it on my kitchen cabinets?? I painted them about 2 years ago and I am in the mood for change.

19. Mrs T January 5, 2011 at 4:15 am #

that is such a cute little blanket chest! it would look good in my living room as a coffee table :)

would you mind sharing the paint code so we can all have it? pretty please! :)

20. Chris January 5, 2011 at 4:21 am #

I wish i could find oops paint like that! Thanks for the tips with glazing…now to find the right piece to begin with.

21. Colleen @ MuralMaker&More January 5, 2011 at 5:24 am #

Chopsticks, huh? I can honestly say I've never used chopsticks for any painting project, but now I have a great reason for more Chinese food (my fav!).
    thanks for all the great tips. You make it look super easy.

Would love you to stop by this weekend and link up to Passion for Paint!

22. Becca January 5, 2011 at 11:23 pm #

Thanks for this amazing tute! I will be featuring it on BCD on Jan. 18th!

23. Terry January 6, 2011 at 2:23 pm #

You have quite a sense of humor there and it was a fun post. I have been painting furniture for years and years but I have never mixed glaze with stain. Brilliant idea that I will be trying out next time. Thanks for the post. Love your blog. Terry

24. Galexi Cupcakes January 6, 2011 at 6:43 pm #

I'm a new follower. Love your blog. I jumped over from Tip Junkie. Best, Jackie

25. Cassie @ Primitive & Proper January 6, 2011 at 9:06 pm #

sausha, that looks fantabulous! and i am so with you- hoarding paint sticks, chopsticks, toothpicks- whatever i can use for projects! :) thanks for joining my party!

26. Sandy January 7, 2011 at 11:44 pm #

thank you for this information.. I've painted many of my furniture pieces white and now for the glaze/stain… also my kitchen cabinets are waiting for me to get to them..(their painted white also)..I tend to do things in stages..haha
    Very helpful post!
    Sandy

27. Restoration House January 8, 2011 at 4:26 am #

Great job! Love the idea with mixing glaze and stain! Thanks for sharing.
    Kim:)

28. Korrie@RedHenHome January 8, 2011 at 4:43 am #

I did *not* know you could mix glaze with stain! And I glaze stuff on a regular basis! Thanks for the great tip, and the chest looks fabulous!

29. Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com January 9, 2011 at 8:07 am #

Wow – you are so talented!! I am going to feature this in a DIY feature post later this weekend. Thanks for linking up!!!

xox
    Jen

30. Denise January 9, 2011 at 5:08 pm #

I swooned all the way through your post. I love your oops paint. You are right – it is fabulous! You tutorial was wonderful. I love to glaze, but still got a couple of ideas I plan to try next time.

If you have time, I would love for you to link this post to my blog party at http://firstadream.blogspot.com/

31. Carolyn@ Sweet Chaos January 11, 2011 at 12:59 pm #

I haven't painted a piece of furniture in quite a long time, and I'm excited to get back to it. Thanks for the inspiring post! The bench looks fabulous. I have that same throw blanket :)

32. The Frosted Gardner January 11, 2011 at 2:53 pm #

Wonderful tutorial. And a beautiful piece. And it could be used in so many fun places. Glad I stopped by! :)

33. Bonnie January 12, 2011 at 4:10 pm #

wonderful tutorial! We are restoring an old log home and I want painted/glazed cabinets in the kitchen since the house is too much wood! Thanks for the great pics, directions, etc. Wonderful help since we are DIY'ers

34. Denise January 16, 2011 at 2:25 pm #

I'm back again. This time to tell you I have featured this wonderful tutorial on my latest post -
    Your blog is wonderful, with so many fabulous posts. I would love for you to come over anytime and join my latest link party!!!

35. squishsmom January 22, 2011 at 5:22 pm #

THANKS so much for sharing your formula. I'm working on applying it to a freestanding cupboard my hubby made me. It took the "new" right off it ;D IT LOOKS AWESOME!

36. billiemonster January 27, 2011 at 3:35 am #

OODLES and oodles of thanks for this post! I have been wondering for so long how to do this and now I know! I'm sooo excited to give your techniques a try. :O)

~ http://www.billiemonster.com ~

37. {Carli} January 27, 2011 at 5:27 pm #

I am new to your blog, you are so talented!

38. Charly Ann January 29, 2011 at 5:50 pm #

you have inspired me! just wanted to let you know. Thanks!

39. Amanda February 2, 2011 at 1:36 pm #

I've included this how-to in a round up on Craft Gossip today
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/9-great-how-tos-for-your-home/ Thanks for sharing it! :)

If you would like a "featured by" button, you can grab one here!

40. Teri February 16, 2011 at 1:07 am #

This chest is beautiful. Did you paint the chest red first? It looks like little bits of red peeking out from under the blue. It gives it a nice effect.

41. Robin W. February 20, 2011 at 6:09 am #

Hello — Thank you so much for this wonderful tutorial! I have bedroom furniture that is a similar finish to your chest. I have questions on 2 issues — Did you sand the piece before applying the first coat of paint, and, if so, do I need to use an electric sander? Second — As with one of your other readers, I want to pain this furniture black but have a brown stain distressed look showing through. Can I use this method?

I would greatly appreciate your advice on making my new bedroom look great!

Robin

42. Shannon February 23, 2011 at 3:13 am #

Love this post – I didn't know you could mix stain into glaze!!! What a nicer finish than trying to find a paint in the right colour!

43. Kelly February 23, 2011 at 3:37 am #

Ok, so there was no sanding? I always thought people sand the edges like on the corners of drawers to create that look. No? Do you sand beforehand or just get started. Thanks for the help. I'm a new follower!

44. Anneke March 3, 2011 at 9:02 pm #

Is this how you would make a black glaze??? Like on the little round side table you just did? I remember the first time I painted and glazed these beautiful creamy white nightstand/dressers with a mocha glaze. My 5 year old just about freaked out like I was ruining them. Being my little supporter, instead of saying, "Wow….that looks ugly mom" (before wiping them down), she said, "Weeeeeell…..I'm not so sure about that….." :-) Love that kid!

45. Anneke March 3, 2011 at 9:05 pm #

Sorry…forgot to ask, can you mix the glaze with Minwax polyshades, and do you use oil based, water based, or both?

Thank you!!! Your work is inspiring! :-)

46. My Little Lady Designs March 4, 2011 at 2:47 am #

Great tutorial! Do you use a primer before you paint the furniture?
    Thanks,
    Cara

47. semuflax April 18, 2011 at 2:48 am #

Plain and simple! I like your work!

generic nolvadex

48. Tals April 28, 2011 at 5:49 pm #

thank you for sharing!

49. Heidi @ Honeybear Lane May 26, 2011 at 11:49 pm #

Okay so I'm about to glaze my first piece of furniture and I have a couple questions: what color stain would you use if you wanted a piece of furniture to look aged and antique? And if I use a wood stain could I use one that's a polyetherene and a stain in one? Do you do the poly after every piece you paint? Thanks!!

50. Katie July 22, 2011 at 11:12 am #

Your post is one of the best tutorial and I like your idea that mixing glaze with stain and still I never listen this kind information.Hopefully you will done well.Thanks

——–
    Girls bedroom furniture

51. sell your home quickly August 22, 2011 at 7:49 am #

Very nice, thanks for the information.
    sell your home quickly

52. RHurst October 13, 2011 at 7:51 pm #

Great tutorial! I love how the chest turned out! I think that kind of look would be a great final touch on my kitchen cabinets.

53. Shannon@vintagerestyled October 19, 2011 at 7:23 pm #

It's been a while since I glazed anything, but I paln to now! What do you finish it with. or is the glaze protective?

54. How to start a painting business October 24, 2011 at 4:13 pm #

Adorable. Lovely and fantastic designs. Thanks for sharing.

55. HorseRacing1 November 28, 2011 at 9:54 am #

You have nice collections of living room furniture.I found it most fashionable.

Regards
    Furniture store BC

56. dining furniture perth December 22, 2011 at 6:53 am #

hey.., it looks very pretty after putting some decoration thing on it.
    this is very good. but do you ave only single or any more..
    if you have some other then please show me.

57. Fletcher Hardison January 19, 2012 at 3:47 pm #

This is a great resource. I'm linking to it in a blog post i'm currently working on about why unfinished furniture is the best for working with your style.
    Thanks,
    Fletcher Hardison
    Durham Bookcases

58. Elise January 19, 2012 at 9:41 pm #

Thanks so much for this info. I have been Googling this all day and this was the best info by far. I am buying new stock cabinets from HD and want to glaze them so they look like the Thomasville ones that cost 10k!! I work there so I have been asking around but get differing opinions. The color is Harvest-a raised panel style by American Classics-and I am ordering darker crown and light rail from American Woodmark since stock company doesn't make a light rail. I want to glaze them so the dark color gets just on the raised or recessed edges. I found a paint color that matches the moulding…can I mix a water-based paint with the glazing? The cabinets are maple stained doors…not painted. Thank you so much for this post..very informative.

59. Tara February 3, 2012 at 11:47 am #

After you wipe off the glaze do you wax it? Or is it finished after the glaze?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} February 7, 2012 at 10:55 pm #

I finish with a water based poly – i dont use wax too much – too time consuming!!

60. Malane March 8, 2012 at 10:58 pm #

Love your tutorials! Quick question… Do you mix 3 parts glaze to 1 part stain or vice versa? I just re-finished a shelf that I painted in antique white and glazed with 3 parts stain/1 part glaze & did not come out with a beautiful effect as shown above. Looks more like weathered/barn wood. Any advice?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 19, 2012 at 7:43 pm #

its 3 parts of glaze to one part of stain

61. Angee March 9, 2012 at 2:47 pm #

What color did you paint the chest? I did not see the name – just that it was a $5.00 oops paint. I want to paint my bedroom furniture and glaze over it. Maybe that color would work? I was thinking cream but I love your chest. it kinda looks like a dirty cream. yes?? Thank you in advance for the reply.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 17, 2012 at 1:45 pm #

because it was just a mistinted paint, i dont know the color, it was blacked out. And no it wasnt a cream, it was a really light blue/green and then when the glaze was added, it gave it more of a green cast.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 17, 2012 at 1:45 pm #

also, i spray all my pieces, rolling/brushing would take forever!! And i just use latex products

• Kristi September 13, 2013 at 11:43 am #

You added stain to the glaze, do you use water based stains?

• Kristi September 13, 2013 at 11:49 am #

Sorry, I found the answer in other posts! Thanks for your wonderful blog though!!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} September 22, 2013 at 10:30 am #

nope – the oil based stains mix fine with the glaze

62. Angee March 9, 2012 at 3:09 pm #

Also, do you recommend spraying the paint base with an airless sprayer or rolling it on. Which would be better for durability. And also again, what was the name of the color and is it oil base or latex. Thank you!!!

63. Deb Taber April 8, 2012 at 10:10 am #

turned out beautifully! I did this to two pieces I recently repainted and distressed, because of your tutorial and love the final results.

64. River Mama April 28, 2012 at 10:36 am #

Sausha,

I purchased the same glaze you show and planned to mix the same stain (my favorite), but when the paint lady at Lowe’s saw it she had a tiny hissy fit. Apparently it is sacrilege to mix oil based stain with the glaze. You didn’t have any problems with the finish (bubbling, separation, etc.) did you? Love the chest, by the by.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} May 1, 2012 at 8:48 am #

haha!! nope,no problems, just make sure to keep it stirred and you will be just fine :)

65. Kathy Strader May 17, 2012 at 7:55 am #

Just stumbled across your blog today. Love it! Thank you for these instructions, they are great!

66. cindy June 13, 2012 at 8:37 pm #

AFter following your instructions, Just finished painting a buffet and ready to glaze. I can tell it’s going to be beautiful. The color is a creamy light yellow and will use a black glaze. What do I need to use to seal it all so that its smooth and nothing still stick or stain it?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} June 25, 2012 at 6:18 pm #

assuming you used latex paint, just use any water based poly and that will be it! I love the Wood Classics brand water based poly found @ Sherwin Williams – its really good stuff!

67. Amy June 24, 2012 at 6:50 am #

This is a great tutorial for someone who has never glazed before. Going to try this today with a crappy bed side cabinet I found on the side of the road. May post my before/after if I like the result.

68. Robin July 6, 2012 at 3:30 pm #

I am going to use your tutorial next time! I just did a distressed furniture attempt but my stain became sticky and now my nightstand isn’t drying. Any advice?! I used deglosser, primed, painted, sanded for distressed areas and then applied my minwax stain. I wiped off as much as I could but it’s been drying for hours and is still tacky! I’m discouraged!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} July 12, 2012 at 7:58 pm #

hmmm, i havent had that problem before! you could take a rag with mineral spirits on it and wipe over it, that should remove any excess stain that isnt drying

69. Natalie July 19, 2012 at 8:57 am #

I have been SEARCHING for a tutorial of how to do this!! I didnt even know it was called glazing so it was hard to find something you don’t know what it’s called! So thank you, this
    Is perfect!!! I was JUST about to go use just plain stain, I didn’t know about the glaze. So thanks!!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} July 19, 2012 at 6:46 pm #

i also just use plain old stain sometimes too!!

70. Tina July 21, 2012 at 6:59 pm #

Hi
    We are going to try on a pine dresser we have brought. Do you use a semi gloss, full gloss or flat paint?

Thanks

71. Phyllis August 1, 2012 at 7:35 am #

Thanks for the great tutorial…….am going to try it today!!!!

In the meantime, what is that beautiful gray/green/creamy blue color you used? Is it already mixed or did you mix it?

thanks for your reply,

Phyllis

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} August 2, 2012 at 8:50 pm #

that was just an oops paint (mistinted) and sold for cheap, so i dont know the name of it – they blacked out the formula. sorry!!

72. Sue August 24, 2012 at 9:33 am #

You make me happy! Wish you were a friend you seem so delightful! Thanks for the great info!

73. Sara August 29, 2012 at 10:41 am #

Apparently oil based glaze is unavailable in Canada and has been disallowed by government regulation – like most oil based products. I am trying very hard to learn what to substitute it with and am getting nowhere. I have my chest of drawers disassembled, sanded, primed and painted in the garage waiting to be distressed and glazed but…. PLEASE HELP?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} September 6, 2012 at 2:18 pm #

Is minwax stain available? You can just use in place of glaze

74. Morgan September 1, 2012 at 6:41 pm #

Hi there! Did you strip or sand this piece before you painted it?

75. Morgan September 1, 2012 at 6:42 pm #

Hi there! Did you sand or strip this piece before you painted it?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} September 6, 2012 at 2:16 pm #

just a light sand so the paint would stick

76. Erin September 15, 2012 at 2:38 pm #

Question. Did you mix oil based stain and latex glaze? That is what I believe based on the products pictured but I am curious since latex and oil don’t really mix. I’ve sanded and painted my tables but am not sure about the oil/latex combo.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} October 2, 2012 at 8:30 pm #

yes it will work, you just need to keep it stirred otherwise it may start to separate (some stains dont separate at all and some do in my experience)

77. mary September 22, 2012 at 2:29 pm #

Hi – just came upon your site. I just painted an armoire a beautiful creamy white in a satin finish. Can you mix an oil base stain into the Valspar glaze? Isn’t the glaze a water base product? Is it ok to mix the two?

Thanks for your help
    Mary

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} October 2, 2012 at 8:28 pm #

you can, but you just need to stir it often to keep it from seperating

78. Lorrie September 23, 2012 at 6:13 pm #

Hi Sasha-I have been using ASCP on a few piece of furniture however I am not happy with the results I am getting with waxing. Is it possible to use your glazing technique over chalk paint instead of waxing? Thanks so much and love your blog.
    Lorrie – MN

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} October 2, 2012 at 8:01 pm #

The chalk paint is to porous for the glazing technique, it will just suck it up and it wont go on even and it will be hard to even it out. Its best to use regular latex paint if you want to glaze.

79. Dawn September 24, 2012 at 4:51 am #

I agree with all the other posters – what great information you’ve posted! I read several of your articles while researching for my own project. Despite my research I tackled my project somewhat hastily and had a few problems :-) I picked up a dresser on Craigslist that was painted bright orange. Looked to be the first coat over spraypainted white or primer. Rather than priming, I picked up a behr paint and primer in one and painted it a pretty green-blue. All seemed well and I let it dry. On to the antiquing…on the advice of the Home Depot rep I picked up a designer antiquing glaze to use. I feel I let the paint dry thoroughly, but after applying the glaze when I went to rub it off it pulled up the paint. Uh oh! Had I painted over an oil based paint? That was the only thing I could think. I went ahead and pulled off what I’d applied so far (it might have been a cool look, but I decided not to run with it, repainted, and let that part dry again). Then I reached for my oil based stain and used that straight. I had to work fast and it came out a little rough, but pretty much the look I was going for. But now what? It seems to not be drying (we have pretty high hummidity). It’s dry the the touch, but I noticed the other day doing a little spit polish it seemed to wipe up a little. Will it dry? And assuming one day it does should I seal it? I am thinking I doomed myself to only using polyeurethane (not priming it properly)- and I’m not happy about the prospect of using it, or the ultimate results. Thanks again for the great blog! I don’t think I would have attempted my project or kept working with it without the howto articles.

80. Andria Hiselman September 28, 2012 at 7:02 am #

Hi, Love your site.
    I’m doing all my doors inside my home in this technique. What is the base coat. Is it eggshell, flat ??

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} October 2, 2012 at 7:48 pm #

for doors i would use a semi gloss, it will be the easiest to clean

81. Andria Hiselman September 28, 2012 at 7:04 am #

Is that paint a flat or eggshell on your Oops paint?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} October 2, 2012 at 7:47 pm #

i dont remember exactly, but i never use anything less than a satin

82. Karen K October 1, 2012 at 8:56 am #

I saw this tutorial on Yellow Cape Cod’s blog. Love this glaze technique and want to try it on a large armoire rather than using dark wax. I’m using chalk paint.
    1) do I have to sand in between coats of paint?
    2) will the powder in chalk paint affect the way the stain/glaze goes on and wipes off?
    I can’t wait to try this. It looks beautiful on your hope chest.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} October 2, 2012 at 7:44 pm #

No, you dont have to sand between coats of paint, but for the smoothest finish possible you will need to. Glazing is not the best with chalk paint, its to flat and will absorb too much of the glaze. Glazing is best when done over at least a satin finish.

83. Megan October 3, 2012 at 4:04 pm #

I love this! How do you think this would work on veneered furniture? I have a super ugly dresser that could use some sprucing, but it is covered in veneer.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} October 9, 2012 at 4:49 pm #

you would for sure need to paint it 1st otherwise the glaze probably wont stick. I would prime it 1st with an adhesion primer, paint it and then glaze it :)

84. Theresa A October 8, 2012 at 8:25 pm #

Ok, I finally broke down and went to buy some glaze, after reading your post! lol I have been doing without it, but I can’t wait to get using it – Your pieces look awesome!! Thank you for sharing!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} October 9, 2012 at 4:43 pm #

thank you, happy glazing!!

85. Sonja October 22, 2012 at 1:46 pm #

Sorry – please on more time for the not-that-smart people ;-) Acutally, I´m from Germany and O do have some problems with the things you use and their names… So: I start with sanding the dresser, than i paint with a color I like? Water-based acrylic latex? Same as I would use for painting walls? Satin, you said? White, I like white.

Is it correct, after painting and drying and sanding I start with the glazing, mixing 3 parts of mixing glaze with 1 part stain? I can use dark stain, e.g. ebony? Then I use the shirt for rubbing off until it looks nice?

Sorry again for asking that much but I´ve been to all kind of stores, getting the wrong answers, sometimes only asking faces…… Seems like they don´t really know what their selling and/or how to use it. Your work simply looks perfect and wonderful!!!

Thank you!!! Great. Just great.

86. Sharon Mole October 29, 2012 at 10:43 am #

I have a shabby chic table that needs help, it looks yellow instead of creme and goldest, the table is also shinning looking, what I want is to look like it is off white{creme} distressing looking with some wood coming throw, I have never done anything like this before, do you have ideas, hope you understand what I.m talking about, not sure if I’m clear about what I want. Thank you for listening to my problem

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} November 6, 2012 at 7:37 am #

just give the table a light sand, paint it the color that you want and then use a sanding block to sand down the areas that you want the original wood color to come through :)

87. Tricia December 2, 2012 at 6:54 pm #

I love your work! And I have that same throw so I need that red pillow now. My sister and I have always loved to paint our own furniture but now we are starting to sell some of our refinished & repurposed projects. I come to your site for tips & inspiration. Just painted a beautiful dresser a cream color that I love so I am going to try this glazing technique on it. Thanks for sharing your tips.

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} December 6, 2012 at 10:53 am #

Thanks so, so much!!
      i got that pillow from target, but it was a couple years ago though.

88. Barbara January 30, 2013 at 8:48 am #

Thanks! You explained this very well! Especially the chop stick part! Ha! i’ve always used dark wax, but I’m going to give this a try, one day!
    Keep up the great work,
    Barbara

89. Renae February 13, 2013 at 7:38 am #

Thank you for making this so easy, I am not a perfection with anything and your tutorial simplified it for me. I love how you wing it.. lol I think we could be related! Most of my life is winged, my projects especially. Thanks again.

90. Kaaren April 1, 2013 at 11:16 am #

Thanks. Two quick questions. 1. Did you use eggshell, flat, satin or gloss paint? I’m asking because i just did a chest with chalk paint and the glaze didn’t move well. Thought maybe it needed more of a smooth surface. 2. Was you stain a water base? I’m asking because the glaze is water base (I assume) and i would think u need a water base stain but maybe not. Thanks. Kaaren

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} April 17, 2013 at 8:06 am #

i normally use at least a satin paint, that way its smooth enough so that the glaze will go on without being so porous that it sucks up all the glaze making it hard to get even. My stain was an oil based, but it did mix ok with water based glaze – i guess there are certain emollients in there to make it work.

91. Rachael May 23, 2013 at 9:03 am #

If I used Annie Sloan chalk paint on an old hutch, could I glaze it with this technique or is the Annie Sloan Wax required so the paint won’t mess up?

92. dressers June 9, 2013 at 4:06 am #

Your style is really unique compared to other folks I’ve read stuff from. Thank you for posting when you have the opportunity, Guess I’ll just book mark this blog.

93. TS June 17, 2013 at 5:55 am #

Just wanted to say thanks for clarifying that you sanded it AFTER painting it to let the wood show through a bit. I’ve always done the same when working with stain but I’m going to attempt glaze today. Most tutorials online don’t seem to sand after painting.

94. Carolyn June 19, 2013 at 12:34 pm #

I am starting with an oak hutch cabinet it doesn’t have polyurethane on it. Do I still need to sand before applying a coat of paint.

Thank you for the help. I will look for your response. Also after reading your blog, I will use your method of latex paint, sand areas to expose the wood and then glaze/stain or glaze/paint.

I am going to try to get some basic creamy blue/gray color and either use the glaze with brown paint or stain.

What is your opinion?

95. Priscilla Kier July 12, 2013 at 12:12 pm #

I am about to paint my bedroom furniture and each piece has a strip of detailing that looks like leaves carved into the wood. I am curious if it is possible to only use glaze on the strip of detail rather than the entire piece of furniture, or if that would look odd?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} July 18, 2013 at 8:45 am #

no, i have done that a few times, we didnt necessarily want the glazed look all over, but we wanted those details to stand out even more, so glaze was just applied to those areas :)

96. Tresa July 14, 2013 at 2:15 pm #

Curious………….do you find that the poly causes cream colored paint to yellow? Or does the glaze/stain help this from happening?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} September 22, 2013 at 11:01 am #

i havent had any yellowing – make sure to get water based poly and not oil, the oil will yellow over time

97. Mindie July 30, 2013 at 2:28 pm #

After your glazing and its all dry, do you put a clear coat on of any sort or a rub on wax? Or does the glaze provide enough sheen. I always see people stating their pieces are glazed and waxed. I love your tutorial by the way and your project turned out great!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} September 22, 2013 at 10:56 am #

Yes, i almost always put some sort of top coat after a piece has been glazed – either a poly or wax

98. Kelly August 7, 2013 at 4:21 pm #

I don’t know if you already answered this, but what is the exact color or creamy/blue/grey/green? I’d love to buy it, but I need a bit more exact name on the color info. Thanks! This is beautiful!!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} September 22, 2013 at 10:50 am #

This was a mistint – i dont have the color – sorry!

99. Jessica August 27, 2013 at 6:17 am #

After you painted your base colors did you do any sanding to the edges before applying the glaze/stain mixture??

Thanks!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} September 22, 2013 at 10:40 am #

yes, all the edges were sanded to expose the natural wood

100. Val's new to this... August 31, 2013 at 5:40 pm #

Hi! Great tut…wondering if you have one on how you distressed the corners, or is it just the stain giving it that look? HELP!! Love it, but feel like I am missing something!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} September 22, 2013 at 10:37 am #

I just sanded to show the natural wood and thats what you are seeing

101. jenny September 27, 2013 at 2:49 am #

I thought you did a great job explaining the technique.I’m gonna give it a try.Thanks

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Q&A: How can I combine a dining table and bookcase into one piece of furniture? - Dining Table and Chairs - March 24, 2012

[...] {how i glaze furniture} [...]

2. Armoire Refurb | Glazing Furniture - April 19, 2012

[...] condition.)  After priming, painting and distressing, I used a glaze finishing technique I learned HERE from Sausha at Sweet Pickins.  Check it [...]