{Entry way dresser – switcharoo}

Long time no see…sorry about that :)  I have a ton of projects in the works, some fun – some not so fun.  Mostly just a lot of cleaning and “dejunking” my house getting ready for some new house projects – ya!!!!

I did want to show you guys a little dresser that i worked on a couple of weeks ago.  I got it at goodwill for $40 a few months back and knew that she would be looking super cute all fixed up.  I didn’t plan on keeping the dresser – but when i brought it inside to take a picture to post for sale, my husband said that he liked the new one better.  I wasn’t too sure at first – but sometimes (and only sometimes) i let him have his way :)

The new dresser does provide more storage so i like that part (also it doesn’t have an open bottom like the old one – and open bottoms mean DUST – lots and lots of DUST).   We store kids craft things, candles, wreath hooks, light bulbs – all that kind of crap that needs a home somewhere – and my crap needs a cute home – right!?!  That’s what i’m sayin :)

Anyways, here is the before – not hand carved apparently (thanks dad, because i totally would have advertised it as hand carved when i went to sell it!) – but pretty unique and in good shape.

(not the best photo, sorry)

messy garage 051

And after…

dresser crib 010

Close up of her lovely little lady curves….

dresser crib 012

I love how the handles are made for the dresser – i’m so glad that it wasn’t missing any when i bought it :)

dresser crib 015

So if you guys remember my original post about my entry way and how i modified a dresser.  Which one do you guys like better?

Old dresser?

entryway.blog 018

New dresser?

dresser crib 010

– And the 411 on how i painted said dresser -

Paint – Valspar bright white (standard pre-mixed color)

Top of dresser – stained in black polyacrylic

I painted the dresser with my paint sprayer attached to my air compressor (can you imagine painting all those little details with a paint brush – no thank you)

Entire dresser was sanded with my 60 grit sandblock for some light distressing to bring out her curves :)

Ok, i will be back soon :)

35 Responses to {Entry way dresser – switcharoo}

1. Allison October 5, 2010 at 4:37 am #

Oh goodness… I love both of them! They are great! Fabulous job!

2. Jessica Brunette October 5, 2010 at 4:43 am #

Oh my gosh – beautiful! I just moved back to the States from Europe, and that kind of wood work would fetch a lot more than $40! Well done.

3. Teri October 5, 2010 at 5:40 am #

Both are beautiful! But, the new one gets my vote! Great job on the makeover!

4. bethy.d October 5, 2010 at 7:05 am #

I vote for the new one. Both are pretty but I'm loving the new one!

5. Miranda October 5, 2010 at 7:29 am #

I agree with your hubby. The old one was nice (and so creative!), but the new one is WOW! And anything that creates more storage and less dust will always get my vote :) Beautiful job.

6. Angel October 5, 2010 at 7:40 am #

Wow that's really hard to decide. They are both lovely. Maybe the 2nd one just because it's a change, and change keeps things fresh and new.

I'd love to know what finish you buy for your paint. Flat, satin or semi? That's the decision that always gets me in trouble.

7. URUGUAY LIFE - WHITE LIFE October 5, 2010 at 8:58 am #

The difference is terrific.I'm excited!

VINTAGE xx

8. The Other Me (is sane) October 5, 2010 at 10:09 am #

Love the new one, love the old one. Maybe you could use the old one as a bedside table? You've inspired me once again. Thank you.

9. carolyn October 5, 2010 at 11:28 am #

I like them both, but I really like the way the dark top of the new one works with your floor and more storage is always a bonus in my book.

10. Polly October 5, 2010 at 11:37 am #

I like them both, but the new one rocks!! Love all the drawers and the pretty detailing! It looks gorgeous since you worked your magic! Great find…great price!!!

11. Elaine October 5, 2010 at 11:51 am #

That's a really hard call. The new one is beautiful, but I love the legs on the old one. Great job as always!!!

12. Green Willow Pond October 5, 2010 at 1:14 pm #

I'm in love with the new one, although the old one is very pretty too! I'm a sucker for anything with carving, and lots of storage.

13. Elisabeth October 5, 2010 at 3:07 pm #

They're both pretty, but I like the old one. I like how it can have something displayed below it. Oh, and I meant to ask you, I'd love to buy one of your wooden boxes you made for your grandma's wedding if you want to sell any of them!

14. Camilla October 5, 2010 at 3:42 pm #

Honestly, even though the details on the new one are gorgeous, I love the old one. But I'm a sucker for simplicity, so that might be why. I concur with another comment in what kind of finish you use for your paint.

15. Tanya October 5, 2010 at 4:29 pm #

I think your hubby made a good call! Lovin' the new look.

16. Anonymous October 5, 2010 at 6:17 pm #

Love the new one! Less dusting is always better! Oh how I've missed you. Don't be such a stranger! :)

17. Kim October 5, 2010 at 6:30 pm #

I'd vote for the old one because I like airiness. Believe me, I understand the dust bunny problem. I'd probably let the final vote rest with the overall feel of the room.

18. Jenn October 5, 2010 at 7:37 pm #

I like them both! I would love to take one off your hands. ;)

19. Anonymous October 5, 2010 at 7:38 pm #

The new one took my breath away! I do love the chunky legs of the old one though.

20. Practically Spent October 5, 2010 at 9:16 pm #

Just plain awesome!

21. Lucy Designs October 6, 2010 at 1:41 am #

I love them both, great vision! I would say go for the new one for a while!

22. Blooming Homestead October 6, 2010 at 2:32 am #

So beautiful. I want that new one, really amazing! Its gorgeous!

23. Katie October 6, 2010 at 3:44 am #

WOW, it turned out beautiful!!! Loving the dark top. And I do love the old one too. Is it for sale? :)

24. Faith October 6, 2010 at 5:05 am #

I don't know the story of the old one, but I like the new one much better. I feel like you should chop the chunky legs off the old one & turn it into a bench (maybe at the end of a bed or something).

25. Anonymous October 6, 2010 at 3:57 pm #

I like the old one. I think it has better flow, not as heavy..But thats just me.. Angie

26. Emily @ LaForce Be With You October 6, 2010 at 4:22 pm #

They are both wonderful!! I do like the newest one best for your entryway.

27. Kelsey Peterson October 6, 2010 at 6:09 pm #

haha I thought I was going to be the only one offering to take whichever one you don't want off your hands.
    So if I say the new one do I get the old one? haha
    No really gorgeous and both have good pros and cons. I like the airyness of the old one. The new one seems too bold for an entryway.

28. Anonymous October 6, 2010 at 8:28 pm #

Hey there, the new one has a more classy {rich} look…but I think it needs a granite remnant top, you can get them from $1-$30.

29. Kelly October 7, 2010 at 4:26 am #

I love the old dresser much better.. I still would like to know how you did the old dresser.. please do tell! :)

30. Mrs. Brittany October 9, 2010 at 5:22 am #

Hey…
    First, let me just say you are one of (if not) MY FAVORITE crafty blog out there! :) We have very similar tastes! :) I love it! about your dresser! I've been working on finding a cheap dresser to re-do …for the past 5 or 6 weeks. Its been killing me! I can't find one. I've been really picky…it must be off the ground, and have curvy lines to it. I'm open to re-purposing too…like turning a buffet table into a dresser….ect. :) Anyway. I love all your creations, so its no surprise that I love this dresser! I really like the contrast of the b/w. especially around the hardware! Where did you find this dresser?…I've been on Craigslist, freecycle,com, goodwill, and salvation army. I'm in California. …any helpful hints?
    Thanks & God bless!
    -Brittany

31. the VG huis October 9, 2010 at 2:46 pm #

HI, gorgeous job once again! ..but I still do love the simplicity of the old one best : ) cheers, Stacey

32. Renae October 11, 2010 at 11:43 am #

I'm with your hubby! The new one is killer!

Glad to see you back and glad I checked today!

33. Beth M October 13, 2010 at 5:24 pm #

They're both great but I did like the first version with the open bottom. However I love the first version at the foot of the bed so this is the perfect replacement.

34. Mindy January 14, 2011 at 11:57 pm #

Your house is AMAZING and so very beautiful. I can't even tell you…wow.

35. Anonymous October 23, 2011 at 4:39 pm #

I LOVE your blog and your ideas are awesome, thank you for posting! So inspiring!! Rebekah