{lazy girl’s guide to quick make-over AKA fab new little dresser}

Ok, i have to admit that this is a completely lazy – probably not the right way – super quick little dresser re-do.  But i would also have to admit that this is how i do most of my little re-do’s :)  And so far it’s worked for me!

**Disclaimer!  If this piece was to get a lot of use/wear and tear then i would have done a little sanding to rough up the last layer of paint and i would have put a top coat of poly**

One of the things that i was drawn to when i found this little dresser ($30 @ goodwill) was the shotty paint job and the many layers of paint that it already had.  You cant see in the pics, but there is brush marks all over – i LOVE that!  That is what, to me, add so much character, and even though i don’t think its that old, all those past layers of paint make it look like it has history.  Plus, it has casters and who can resist old squeaky casters?!

Ok, on to the re-do.  I didn’t sand at all, i didn’t even wipe it down (how lazy am i?!)

Before…it was white, but yellow white and it was very dirty.

dresser re-do 003

I took off all the old hardware, spray painted them white (Rustoleum flat white), i didn’t prime those either.

dresser re-do 004

I just used a 2 in brush to paint the whole thing – i used Valspar semi-gloss white.  I only painted one coat because it covered well – i got lucky that it was already white.

dresser re-do 010

You can see here the difference in the two whites

dresser re-do 006

After i got it all painted i decided that i wanted to all a little somthin-somthin to this cute little dresser – so i went with a little bird & branch stencil that i got a while ago (stencil from Stampin’ Up)

sofa 017

I didn’t want to get paint all over the stencil, and i didn’t want a “stenciled” look, so i just traced the outline of the stencil and then filled it in with an “oops” paint that i have had layin around.  Super easy, took me about 10 minutes.

sofa 018

For the little wing i just mixed the paint with with a little bit of white.  The pencil mark blended into the paint – just so you know…

sofa 020

After all that was done i tried to just use my normal 60 grit sand block to distress the cabinet but with so many layers of paint i had to get out the palm sander.  I love the distressing part the best – some people read books to relax – i bust out some sandpaper :)

I try to hit all the high marks on the furniture – some people say only to distress where it would normally get marked up with wear and tear, but for me, the more distressed the better.  I sand everywhere i can – i love how it brings out all the details in the furniture that otherwise would probably go unnoticed.

I know so many people are intimidated by taking sandpaper to your freshly painted piece, but if you don’t like it you can always repaint, right?

sofa 025

After…

dresser re-do 001

When i distressed all the edges, i also sanded the little birdy down so it didn’t look so freshly painted… the handles also got a little distressing

dresser re-do 008

Perfectly distressed edges – look at the cute little detailing around the drawers – love it!!!

dresser re-do 005

dresser re-do 009

Look at those castors and those little spindly legs – makes my heart go all a flutter :)

dresser re-do 011

dresser re-do 014

dresser re-do 003

Well that’s its, no pre-sanding, no pre-cleaning, no top coat, no paint stripping.  This is my easy (and yes a little lazy) way to give something old and dingy a new life :)

**This was from my monthly guest post over @ Remodelaholic a couple of weeks ago**

36 Responses to {lazy girl’s guide to quick make-over AKA fab new little dresser}

1. Gifts of Serendipity June 10, 2010 at 7:18 am #

A little birdy told me it was all spruced up and somewhere to go!
    Great job, it makes me look at an old dresser I have in the guest room in a whole different light.

Felicity

2. Trish @ A dream house for Trish June 10, 2010 at 7:52 am #

I love it!!! what a fabulous make over, now it looks like a treasured piece…Well done :0)

3. VINTAGE June 10, 2010 at 9:28 am #

This make over is wonderful. Sometimes it's so easy to get a unique for little money ;)

VINTAGE

4. Crystal June 10, 2010 at 10:42 am #

It looks great! I'm going to admit I wasn't sure about the bird……..I'm sorry now! The bird was a perfect touch!

5. Love Being a Nonny June 10, 2010 at 11:44 am #

The bird MAKES the dresser…oh my word…maybe my favorite re-do EVER!

6. Angela June 10, 2010 at 12:15 pm #

Girl, you have a talent! So gorgeous!

7. Amy June 10, 2010 at 1:04 pm #

Oh come on…. that is amazing. Love it, want one, and how is it you all find these fab dressers and such for so cheap! the good will and craigslist where i live are insane… In fact even garage sales around me are highway robbery. I saw an adorable little sewing table last weekend in a stinkin' yard sale… I was thinking I would pay maybe 10. 15 at the most…. THe lady was thinking 90…. she told me she would drop it to 70 for me… HA HA thanks. needless to say the cute little sewing table stayed on her front lawn…. : (

8. Mel P June 10, 2010 at 3:07 pm #

I love this dresser! The bird is pefection. I've been on the look out for ideas to refinish a dresser and this one is truly inspiring. Thanks for sharing!

9. Terrell June 10, 2010 at 3:22 pm #

Oh my goodness – it's simply adorable! Great job!!
    Terrell

10. Carrie June 10, 2010 at 3:26 pm #

Wow! I love what you've done here. This has to be one of my fave redo's EVER!! When I first saw the pic of the birdie stencil I thought, "hmmm… not too sure about that". But WOW! The birdie was meant for that dresser. You had a vision and it totally worked out! Love that!

11. bullie_mama June 10, 2010 at 3:32 pm #

I'm glad to know I'm not the only lazy one when it comes to repainting something old! HA! It turned out really cute!

12. Jeralee June 10, 2010 at 3:50 pm #

I LOVE IT! Thanks for the inspiration today.

13. The Autocrat: Haley June 10, 2010 at 4:48 pm #

Love it!!! Fabulous job!!

14. Tricia June 10, 2010 at 5:08 pm #

We have the same style of painting-very little prep work..who has time! You sure know how to rock the distressed look…I luv to sand too….more rustic the better!

15. 1 Funky Woman June 10, 2010 at 5:12 pm #

Oh I love the bird on it! What a great find for $30.00. I would have nabbed it too! I see a little of your wall paint in the background. Could you tell me what it is?

16. Katie June 10, 2010 at 5:28 pm #

Love it! Especially with the cute little birdy!

17. Kim @ Starshine Chic June 10, 2010 at 6:02 pm #

It's just so darn cute!!!! And I loves me an easy redo. I'm all over that. Your little dresser turned out fabulicious!!!

18. Marie@PoutyPinkPrincess June 10, 2010 at 7:02 pm #

That turned out soo cute! I love the bird and ALL the distressing!!

19. cushycottage June 10, 2010 at 11:39 pm #

i love what you did to the dresser. cute birdie. i'm never lucky to find treasures in goodwill. gotta keep looking!

20. Sherry @ No Minimalist Here June 11, 2010 at 1:37 am #

The dresser is so adorable! I love that you painted on the little bird. I just saw your home tour on Remodelaholic and all I can say is …Fabulous!
    Hugs,
    Sherry

21. Allison June 11, 2010 at 4:56 am #

That turned out so great! Looks fabulous!

22. Jenny June 11, 2010 at 6:23 am #

Love it! You make it all look so easy so I WILL give it a go! Thanks.

23. Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com June 12, 2010 at 12:38 am #

OMG — could your house be any cuter? I want to move in. Darling project!

XOXO
    Jen

24. Diane at Perfectly Imperfect Life June 12, 2010 at 6:10 am #

I REALLY love that! The birdy gives it the perfect touch.

25. jodi @ back40life June 13, 2010 at 9:02 pm #

I am totally smitten – you did such a fab job! L O V E it!! great job!

26. Rose June 13, 2010 at 10:35 pm #

Gotta love the lazy man's way out! You did great!
    Rose

27. To The Moon and Back June 14, 2010 at 12:59 pm #

Wow! Absolutely gorgeous!

28. Gina June 14, 2010 at 5:42 pm #

I LOVE IT! LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

29. Pamela Rosenberg June 16, 2010 at 7:05 pm #

How pretty is that? Thanks for the distressing details. I work with painted furniture quite a bit but I have gone for a more contemporary look. I really like this and I adore the bird and that you painted him in a grey for an almost monochromatic look. Nicely done.
    Pam

30. Saving Grace July 2, 2010 at 3:05 am #

So sweet! Love it! Great job!

31. jayayceeblog July 3, 2010 at 12:51 pm #

So so beautiful. Love the piece itself, those legs! But your finishing touches with the bird and branch and all the sanding … perfection!

32. Faith, Trust, and a Little Pixie Dust August 5, 2010 at 4:40 am #

Wow, love this project & love your blog! So glad I stopped by!

Warmly, Michelle

33. Jessica June 24, 2012 at 9:23 pm #

I have a really old dresser like this – great details…on wooden wheels!! I love it, but now I’m thinking of painting it all because of your beautiful projects!! Thank you!

34. Meegan May 10, 2013 at 10:28 am #

I just love this little dresser! I am excited to be sharing it as one of My Friday Fave Pins later today on my blog :)
    Thanks for the inspiration!

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} May 20, 2013 at 12:38 pm #

thank you!!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. My Friday Fave Pins — MeeganMakes - May 10, 2013

[...] Don’t you just love this simple and sweet “birdie” dresser?  There is a step by step Tutorial on how to make your own.  Super simple and looks adorable. Sweet Pickins [...]