{laundry room updates}

After i posted about my laundry room here, i was looking at the pics and decided that it all looked good except for that metal clothes rod.  The rest of the room all flows together and that metal stuck out like a big fat sore thumb :)

See!

laundryroom 2 001laundryroom 063

So, i decided to fix that little problem and all i spent was $20 for the rod – i love it when i already have stuff laying around that i can finally use :)

I had some wood shelf brackets, drilled a big round hole for the rod.  I had to add a 2×4 behind the bracket to make it stick out a little further so the rod wouldn’t be recessed – otherwise i wouldn’t have been able to hang hangers, not good when your trying to get some laundry done…

laundryroom 2 003

I gave it all a coat of black paint and now it looks soooooo much better.  Way more custom looking and such a simple easy project.

laundryroom 2 026

laundryroom 2 040

And since i took these pics it has occurred to me that i didn’t distress the new rod/brackets – what’s wrong with me!  I will need to get on that :)

Another little update that i did was add some vinyl to the built – in.  Its my sons job to sort clothes, so now he doesn’t have any more excuses to throw everything in one basket!

The vinyl was cut on the cricut.  I am not loving the font, i think i might re-do it in something else.  Another project for another day…

laundryroom 2 012

I have one last final update for the space (for now anyways), i mentioned in my 1st post about m laundry room that i wasn’t diggin the color, well i have a new color in mind and will be painting it in a couple of weeks – so another update will be coming soon :)

laundryroom 2 023

laundryroom 2 032

By the way, i will be linking up this project to CSI, go check out all the other projects that were made using supplies from the hardware store.  I will also be linking up my framed mirror tutorial.

Visit thecsiproject.com

48 Responses to {laundry room updates}

1. Decorchick! June 3, 2010 at 4:14 am #

Wow, I just love your laundry room!! The new brackets look so good!!

2. Heather June 3, 2010 at 4:25 am #

That room is lovely! I may have to copy the hanging rod idea. That's just terrific, and I love the sorting bins underneath. :) Great job.

3. Shaunna June 3, 2010 at 4:33 am #

So pretty! I am VERY jealous of this room! It might make me want to do laundry. :) shaunna

4. Aja lee's Sweet Life June 3, 2010 at 6:18 am #

Hi! I just wanted to let you know I
    passed on a blog award to you today!
    check it out on my blog- http://ajaleesweetlife.blogspot.com/

5. Crystal June 3, 2010 at 10:25 am #

It does look better doesn't it??? Great idea!

6. Meredith June 3, 2010 at 11:51 am #

That is really cool. Great photos

7. Orange it Lovely June 3, 2010 at 1:35 pm #

out of all the laundry room redos out here, this is my favorite – hands down!
    I love it!
    ~Tana

8. ★All Thingz Related★ June 3, 2010 at 1:46 pm #

I want a laundry room like that…it's beautiful!
    {Rebekah}

9. Katie June 3, 2010 at 5:45 pm #

Wow – it looks sooo much better! Isn't it funny how we notice things in pictures that we wouldn't have seen in real life!?!

10. Sandra June 3, 2010 at 10:16 pm #

Oh yeah, it looks so much better now. I didn't think it needed to be improved until I saw the after shot and how good it looked with the black rod and corbels. Super.

11. La Maison Reid June 4, 2010 at 12:21 am #

Wow….doing laundry will be a pleasure in your new room! Enjoy!

Nancy

12. SeriouslyAHomemaker June 4, 2010 at 4:21 am #

OH MY GOSH! You are unreal! I love it!

HOw do you have time to say, "we aren't loving the paint color, so we are going to paint it again"…

who has time for details like that??

love the baskets under the machines. I would need 5, though.

darks
    lights
    whites
    reds
    towels/linens

thats how we roll

angie

• Cindy Cox June 10, 2012 at 1:36 pm #

angie,
      you could use squared baskets and put dividers in two of your baskets. The whites and towels/linens could be split in one basket with two sections and your darks with the reds separated into a second section of same basket. Simple solution…

13. The Autocrat: Haley June 4, 2010 at 4:45 am #

Wow! The black rod makes it look so much better (not that it was terrible before!) However, I am oh so totally jealous of your laundry room!!

14. Heather June 4, 2010 at 12:56 pm #

LOVE IT! I think everyone should have a chandelier in their laundry room. So fab!

15. Suzanne June 4, 2010 at 7:39 pm #

I just love your laundry room! And you're right, it is more custom looking with the new rod. Well done!

16. Elaine June 4, 2010 at 7:45 pm #

I don't know how you possibly manage to do all these great projects. I want to live at your house!! Pretty please? Great job once again, I love it.

17. Mandy June 5, 2010 at 2:07 am #

I absolutely LOVE it!
    Simple (and cheap, awesome!!)…it looks like something out of a magazine!

I also love the sorting baskets…I'm thinking of how can I make that happen in my laundry room!

Great job!

18. MIchelle June 5, 2010 at 9:16 pm #

I love your idea! Where did you find that shelf thing that your washer and dryer sit on.
    mandrjack@gmail.com

19. gail@myrepurposedlife.net June 5, 2010 at 10:45 pm #

I love your laundry room! I only wish I had someplace near as nice to do my laundry!
    lucky you!
    gail

20. Kim June 5, 2010 at 11:38 pm #

More applause to you. :)

21. Funky Junk Interiors June 6, 2010 at 6:25 am #

Awesome rod update! At first I thought the old one looked just great, but then wow… you're right, the black wooden brackets etc are amazing!

Can't wait to see what colour you choose for the walls. :)

Thanks for linking up to SNS!
    Donna

22. moreygirl June 7, 2010 at 12:36 pm #

love the shelf/stand under the washer dryer! I want that! So much better than the bins that they want you to buy. Great blog!

23. Sarah June 7, 2010 at 6:57 pm #

I was wondering the same thing. Did you build the shelf under the washer and dryer?

24. Emily @ Finding My Aloha June 19, 2010 at 8:47 am #

I heart this! I will be putting this on the "honey-do" list :)

25. One Thrifty Chick July 1, 2010 at 10:27 pm #

I just found your blog today, and I am in LOVE!! I love the laundry room, and noticed we have the same washer and dryer. I have a couple questions for you:

#1, do you have draining issues on the washer?

We have been wanting to build the box under ours, but we are constantly having to clean the drain, which is such a mess sometimes.

#2, where did you get the pan that is under the washer in your photo?

Thanks for sharing all of your ideas!!

26. Ellie July 18, 2010 at 12:50 am #

I love your laundry room! Coming from someone who has an old set in a scary dark corner of her buggy, dank basement, your laundry room looks like a 5 star hotel! :)

27. Classy Clutter August 26, 2010 at 4:50 pm #

I just featured your laundry room today! I LOOOVE IT!

28. Destiny August 29, 2010 at 2:28 am #

LOVE the Rod idea!!! That is just PERFECT!! Thank you so much for sharing!! Love you blog diggity! How did I not find you sooner!

29. Maddie! January 23, 2011 at 1:35 pm #

Oh my goodness, I am in LOVE with your laundry room!! When I finally have the time to re-do mine, I might have to borrow your idea for the clothes rack! great job!!

30. Jennifer H. January 27, 2011 at 9:02 am #

I love this Laundry Room!! I have been looking at blogs for months for laundry room inspiration ideas and I like yours best!
    Came here via Ana White.
    P.S. I'd throw some dark paint on that ladder to match the room!

31. Leah January 28, 2011 at 3:06 pm #

Some distressed dark paint you mean!

Beautiful room. It has inspired some ideas for my own room. thanks!

~came from Ana White as well~

32. Lari March 26, 2012 at 2:22 pm #

Love, love, love your laundry room! Mine is tiny…the width of my washer and dryer and has a little sink in it too…I think you just solved my sorting problem! Right now the door stays open all the time but w/ a pedestal like that I could ditch my hamper and close the door.

33. Dave April 17, 2012 at 12:16 pm #

This is an amazing laundry room. I’d want to do something like this as well, but I find my washer likes to walk around the room! Did you ever experience this before and did it help by putting it on a pedistal?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} April 24, 2012 at 11:08 am #

there are little feet on the bottom of the washer, just use those to level it out and you should be fine. Mine doesnt move at all – before & after!!

34. Holly May 7, 2012 at 7:04 am #

This is just beautiful. I never would have thought of putting the washer and dryer on top of the laundry baskets. Genius.

35. Amanda June 4, 2012 at 6:49 pm #

Ok so I am GOING to do this, but first I have a few questions.

1. How did you decide how high to put the rod….How high should it be?

2. Did you also distress the cabinets?

3. Is distressing hard? Never done it, have not a clue! lol

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} June 25, 2012 at 6:28 pm #

i didnt put up my rod, it was just there from the builder, the only that i did was change it out to a wooden one. And the cabinets were distressed from the factory, i didnt paint those. But all you would have to do to get the look is just use a sanding black and hit just the edges.

36. Peter June 26, 2012 at 7:53 pm #

Is it possible to build 2 rows for storage. Would you just add another platform, or would the legs need to be one continuous piece?
    Thanks

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} June 26, 2012 at 8:53 pm #

ya, i would just add another platform, but dont make it too high that you cant reach the controls!!

37. Cindy July 10, 2012 at 11:33 am #

I’m curious about the span of the project. I know my front load washer is ridiculously heavy– are you having any problems with the platform bowing in the middle? Are there some hidden supports to prevent this?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} July 12, 2012 at 7:53 pm #

no, no hidden supports besides the 2×4 or 2×6’s (cant remember now!!) running across underneath – just like the plans show. And nope, it doesnt bow or wiggle at all!! Its very sturdy and doesnt budge even the tiniest bit!

38. Tiffany January 13, 2013 at 1:29 pm #

My mother in law has a cricut and will cut the letters for us to attach to the W/D riser. Is there anything special you did to attach the letters?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} January 16, 2013 at 5:57 pm #

We just used vinyl to cut the letters (with the cricut) the vinyl is sticky on one side so they will just adhere right to your wood :)

39. Sharron March 2, 2013 at 8:38 am #

Where do you store your laundry detergents, softeners etc?

• Sausha @ {Sweet Pickins} March 12, 2013 at 2:02 pm #

i pour them into the old milk bottles and then use them from there and those just sit right out on the cabinet, but if they all dont fit in my milk jars i just store them in the cabinets until i can pour the rest out into the milk bottles

40. Grace August 4, 2013 at 11:38 am #

If you’re searching for any compact tables you should consider a nest of tables, I got myself an acrylic set from ikea and they are definitely handy

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Spring Cleaning: Organize Your Laundry Room - Hello Little One Blog - March 8, 2012

[…] the space under your washer and dryer as a basket storage and sorting […]