house tour

Well, my closet project that was supposed to get finished up today is not quite done – its all ready for paint so i will hopefully finish it up this week and post it soon.  But, this is a guest post that i did over @ Remodelaholic a couple weeks ago – check it out :)

When Cassity asked me to part of her home tour I was so excited – my blog was so new at that time.  There is so much talent out there and this is truly an honor.

I am going to show you the “main” part of my house.  The entry, family room, dining room and the kitchen.  These rooms are nearly done but I definitely have some things that I want to change up – especially after looking at them through a camera :)

This is the outside of our house – we have been here barely 3 years now and cant wait until all of our bushes grow up!

santihome, hometour 280

When you walk in the front door I was lucky to get a pretty large entry way.  To the left of the entry are the kids rooms/bathroom and on the right is my husbands office.

I performed a little “surgery” on a dresser (you can read about that here) and put it up against the wall.  I really like how the space still feels open and not cluttered.  I decorated with some random things, pics of kids on curtain rod with one of my many wreaths, goodwill lamp re-do and an old chunk of carved wood.

santihome, hometour 201

Directly across the entry way is the stairway going to the basement.  This whole thing (entry way and stairwell) will be getting some board and batten treatment when we finish up the basement.  For now I have a huge old window hanging on the wall along with a $5 bench from goodwill that I recently made over.  Its a great place to store blankets for snuggling up on the couch :)

santihome, hometour 260

When you come in you can see the family room/dining room.  Glad you cant see the kitchen – usually dirty dishes in there :)

santihome, hometour 203

santihome, hometour 198

Here are some pics of the family room.  We purchased all new furniture when we moved in but I actually just made and covered the couches in the white slip covers a couple weeks ago (read about some of that here).  When we 1st moved in I was digging sage green, golds and browns.  I was so over that and decided to paint a more neutral, calm color just over a year ago.  So glad I did, it totally changed the look and feel of my house and the way that I decorate it as well.  One day I will post the before pics on my blog :)

For now I am loving the all white couches, I bought some fabric to cover the throw pillows but I think I am going to stay with the all white for the summer.  Maybe I will add some texture to those pillows – I am thinking ruffles?!?!  Another project for another day…

santihome, hometour 250

I also just recently refinished my coffee tables and used some of my old mason jars as flower vases.  This little project was so cheap and easy and I love the color that it brings into my otherwise very neutral room.  You can see more pics of that post here.

santihome, hometour 270

One challenge in this space is that built in desk.  At first I thought it would be a great space for the kids and their homework but really its just a junk collector.  I have future plans to add some shelving/open up some of the cabinets  to make it feel like a built in hutch.

santihome, hometour 216

Another challenge in this space is the corner fireplace.  Furniture placement is a little difficult and really only looks good when the couches are angled.  Also my house is pretty light and airy and the dark stacked stone seems to heavy. I recently added the barn wood planks to the back of the clock – I am liking it better but am still thinking of cutting it down to fit the clock?  Not sure yet…

santihome, hometour 208

The console table under the TV is a $40 goodwill purchase – you can see the before pic here.

santihome, hometour 246

Right next to the family room is the dining room.  I really wish this whole space was about 5 feet wider.  Its fine for normal every day use but seems cramped when we have people over – I think its because of the way that I have angled the couches.  But it works for now.

santihome, hometour 256

I did make room for an antique nightstand that I got from my grandma, you can read about that here.

santihome, hometour 258

I recently made the chair bows out of drop cloths.  I love how it softens the space up.  With so many windows there are a lot of harsh lines – I recently tried to hang drop cloth curtains but my husband was having it, sometimes I have to let him have his way :)

santihome, hometour 237

And you guessed it, right next to the dining room is the kitchen.  I love this kitchen!  I love the cream, bead board cabinets – they are so classic and will never go out of style.  The kitchen is a decent size and it works for us.  I have a huge walk-in pantry that is currently undergoing a little makeover – complete with a old chippy  door to replace that builder door – cant wait!

santihome, hometour 230

I installed the “faux” ceiling tiles a while ago for the backsplash and I love it.  I love the texture and think the style of them works perfect with our house.

jars 008

I had a little extra space so I bought this cute little shelf that holds some random things.  See that white pantry door?  Soon that will be gone :)

santihome, hometour 227

I love all things old and chippy, and when I came across this old wood tool box @ goodwill for about $5 I new I could do so many things with it.  Right now it sits on my island and is lined with candles.  I didn’t even have to paint it!

santihome, hometour 242

Here is a pic from the kitchen looking into the family room – I gotta see the TV while I am fixin some dinner :)

santihome, hometour 223

43 Responses to house tour

1. Blessed Mama June 21, 2010 at 4:42 am #

I can't wait to see the new, old pantry door! I like the barn wood as is. Love your home. Sooo comfy cozy!

2. De Javu Crafts June 21, 2010 at 5:27 am #

WOW, i am LOVeing all your ideas, im miss cheap myself, so i love a good find at the thrift store. Thanks for sharing. I LOVE IT!

3. ♥Amber Filkins♥ June 21, 2010 at 6:11 am #

Okay, I absolutely LOVE your home. I've seen some of your other projects, like your laundry room, and I think the bathroom, and have always loved them. But seeing these rooms too!?? Totally love it all. I would love to see more of the kitchen details. Everything looks so fabulous, can't wait to see the pantry and new door!

Also, I love the clock, but I could also see it with the wood cut down to size. I think either would be lovely. Would your husband freak if you painted the fireplace white?? Ours is HUGE stones, of all colors of course, and it was so dark & heavy. So a few years ago, we painted it the same colors as the rest of the room. I love it so much better. Just wish it was white now. :)

4. Sandra June 21, 2010 at 6:21 am #

I'm so jealous that so much of your home is finished. And you get to enjoy living in it!!! It is beautiful. Love the kitchen and everything else.

5. Rachelle June 21, 2010 at 2:28 pm #

Love your house… wanna let me move in? :)

6. Sarah @ TheUglyDucklingHouse June 21, 2010 at 2:54 pm #

Ditto to Sandra's commnet. I am jealous so much of your home is complete. We're in the middle of installing our floors. I can't wait until I get to do some more decorative work instead of demolishing and installing!

7. Momma to Bug n' Bear June 21, 2010 at 3:06 pm #

You have such a beautiful home! I love the calm and breezy feeling that it gives. There is so much light too. The old accessories mixed with new, granite and such is a great combination. I am so glad you shared it with us.

-Desiree

8. Sarah @ TheUglyDucklingHouse June 21, 2010 at 3:48 pm #

Did you do the paint color on your kitchen cabinets? I am looking for the right kind of cream/off-white for my own. Oh, and click here to see my aforementioned flooring installation chaos. Love all the work you've done so far!

9. Anonymous June 21, 2010 at 4:16 pm #

What is the name of the paint color?

10. Emily @ Finding My Aloha June 21, 2010 at 6:20 pm #

Love the kitchen! What a great backsplash! Thanks for the peek :)

11. Beck June 21, 2010 at 9:15 pm #

SO beautiful! I LOVE the look of your home!

12. Pamela June 22, 2010 at 2:25 am #

LOVE LOVE your home! It is beautiful! What are the bows on your chairs mad from?? Were they easy to make? I want to add some to ours chairs in the dinning room.

13. Anonymous June 22, 2010 at 4:41 am #

do you have the paint color in your family room? love it!

14. Popcorn Served Daily June 22, 2010 at 6:59 am #

Very pretty. Thanks for opening the door and letting me in!

15. Ashley June 22, 2010 at 7:54 pm #

OMG you home is beautiful!!!!! I hope you don't mind me following, from a fellow blogger ;)
    -Ashley-

16. MamaMonki June 23, 2010 at 1:17 am #

Your home is beautiful. Your blog always inspires me.

I've recently started following you and I have a bloggy award for you over at my blog. Stop by and pick it up when you get a chance.

Thanks for sharing your creativity with us.

17. Sausha @ {show and tell} June 23, 2010 at 4:28 am #

The paint color in that entire space is Mountain Haze by BEHR #400E-3.

Sometimes its greenish, sometimes bluish and sometimes grayish – LOVE IT. Its a good neutral – but still with a little color :)

18. Terrell June 23, 2010 at 5:23 pm #

Your home is simply beautiful! I love every pic and you're great at decorating!! Great job!
    ~Terrell @ FrouFrouDecor~

19. Anonymous June 25, 2010 at 5:52 am #

Beautiful home and great projects! Where did you get the C-shaped handles for your picture frames in your entry way? They are so cute and I've been looking for something like that too. Great work – Kristen

20. Anonymous June 25, 2010 at 4:08 pm #

Wow. What a beautiful home. I'm full of ideas now! Thanks for sharing the paint color, but I have another request. :) Where did you get that great rug that's under your table? Thanks for the tour!

Taylor

21. Gabby June 28, 2010 at 4:47 pm #

Your house is absolutely amazing!!! I LOVE everything ab it!!! ESP the floors!!!!

22. Jill July 1, 2010 at 5:34 pm #

I love this tour of your house. I'm amazed at how you've managed to take a very modernly built home and add all those old chippy pieces and made it look like they're supposed to be there! Wow. I bow down to your decorating skills! Mad. Skillz. :)

23. Bobette July 2, 2010 at 4:45 am #

Ditto to all of the comments so far. I would love the answers to the questions about the rug and c-shape hangers in your entryway. You have a beautiful home!

24. Shannon Rodriguez July 7, 2010 at 2:30 pm #

I want to know if you made the little plaques hanging in the kitchen that say love, believe…do you have a tutorial for those?
    Love the house and the white slipcovers.

25. luvmy5boyscora July 7, 2010 at 5:53 pm #

Okay, so I have been blog-stalking for awhile. Your home is b.e.a.u.t.i.f.u.l and I love all of your ideas you come up with. I am IN LOVE with your coffee table and end table that are white with the dark tops. I have a couple of coffee tables very similar I have been wanting to paint, but just don't know where to start. Any chance you would do a tutorial on those pieces…in all your spare time? :)

If you don't have time for a tutorial on those, I would at least love to know the color of your white paint you use for so many of your pieces (like your entry way table and coffee table.) Do you use the same white paint/sheen for everything? I have been looking for a good white…and there are so many to pick from, but I love how your whites turn out.

Okay, Sorry so long. I guess I should have just emailed you! I love it that you are so willing to share how you do things. Lots of blogs just have the before and afters, but not how they got there. You are so nice to guide us step-by-step. Thanks! :)

26. luvmy5boyscora July 7, 2010 at 5:59 pm #

Oops, I posted the same comment twice! luv it when that happens!

27. Tru@TRU TALES FEATS July 15, 2010 at 12:05 am #

Very lovely. I'm interested in the clock. How did you do it, is the clock without any other background?

28. down2earthsmiles August 2, 2010 at 5:17 am #

Hi there! I just love your blog and find your creativity so inspiring! Just curious, what is the colour of the wall in the main part of your house? It's so refreshing! I'll be moving soon and would love to use that colour or a similar one. Thanks in advance!

29. tasha August 10, 2010 at 6:44 pm #

Your house is amazing!!!! I love your blog and it is so inspirational as I am decorating my first home! I too want to know where you got the c shaped hooks that the pics in the entry way are hanging from? Thanks for sharing! johnandtasha@gmail.com

30. Meg August 31, 2010 at 3:16 am #

Stumbled across your blog tonight. Love your house – can you tell me the paint color in kitchen and den? Thanks!
    Meg
    mdanekas@gmail.com

31. Lindsey September 12, 2010 at 10:12 pm #

I love what you have done with your kitchen area. It is so fresh and clean feeling. Its beautiful. I have the same question as others, can you tell me the name of the paint color and brand you used? I would love to try it in my kitchen. Thanks! Lindsey

32. Lindsey September 12, 2010 at 10:13 pm #

woops, the paint question above is from me. My email is robbyandlindsey@msn.com

Thanks.

33. Ashley @ The Hillside Home September 24, 2010 at 3:24 pm #

Just found your blog and instantly became a follower! I am IN LOOOOOVE with your home. Absolutely gorgeous. I love the use of old windows and wreaths… and all of your made-over furniture is gorgeous. Can't wait to look around more! :)

34. Skye December 28, 2010 at 2:41 am #

omg your home is BEAUTIFUL!

35. Life's Sweeter with Chocolate January 9, 2011 at 2:58 am #

You have a BEAUTIFUL home! I am so loving all the white. We have the warm tones right now and I am just itching to go light and airy! We have the same backsplash in bronze! I love it!

36. chona January 12, 2011 at 2:39 am #

Your home is beautiful! I love your floors – are they wood, laminate or those ceramic tiles that look like wood?

37. Anonymous June 12, 2011 at 1:28 pm #

You have such a great since of style.I have been following your blog for a while and love your ideas. I especially like the blog with the pic of your husband wearing the hat on the scooter. So funny. Please keep posting and I absolutely love your tutorials. Keep posting those too. Thanks

tmeeks-Attalla al.

38. Nicole October 2, 2011 at 8:10 pm #

So I found you from StyleBerry's blog when she posted a link on FB…. love your projects and have two questions. IT seems you have a tray under your washing machine, where did you get that? Our machine is upstairs, and your photos of your laundry room have me thinking we need one to avoid disaster… ALSO, love the rug you have under the dinning room table. Where did you find that? We have a formal dinning area, but use it for everyday meals, that would work perfect for us. Thanks for sharing so much!

39. Greta October 5, 2011 at 11:04 pm #

I love your home, I love your style, and I love what you create with paint. Thanks for sharing your gift. :)

40. mlong December 6, 2011 at 10:34 pm #

Gosh, I wish I could pull my style together like you have. What a beautiful house. I love that clock, did you make it or buy it? If you could fit your style into a mold, what would you label it?
    Thanks!

41. angelo h January 12, 2012 at 7:16 am #

This is the good blog with good images and good details. Please keep on posting the more stuff. I will like to hear more from you. Thanks for the tour up.

Philippine properties

42. Tammy February 25, 2013 at 6:56 pm #

Your blog is lovely and I adore how you’ve decorated it.

I LOVE the dining table and chairs, especially the bench seat. Do you recall where you purchased it from?? I think it would look great in our new house, as well as comfortably seat our family of five and guests.

Thank you for sharing!!