{flowers in old mason jars}

I have been trying to collect old mason jars for a while now – i can think of a ton of things to do with them – too many in fact!  So why i am just barely getting around to using them now?  Who knows!  But i have had this idea in the back of my little head for a while now and now that i refinished my coffee table (will be posting that soon) i thought it is as good as time as any to put them to use :)  And i love when an idea turns out just as i had imagined.

These are three of the blue mason jars that i have been able to find.  Two of them came from goodwill for .50 each and the middle one i just got a couple of days ago from a house that my dad and brother were cleaning out – they clean/gut out houses that have been foreclosed on, i get so much good junk, don’t be jealous :)

santihome, hometour 146

Close up of my little blue beauty… :)

santihome, hometour 145

Here is a larger collection of normal old mason jars.  I cant get enough of these – they are my new love :)  A few of them have the original old zinc lids – very cool.

santihome, hometour 119

I bought three  blue trays from Home Again (a consignment shop here in Utah) a couple of years ago and use them at different spots in my house.  This is the perfect little resting place for my bottles along with a $10 bunch of flowers from Costco.  I am seriously loving it and am loving the little bit of color that it brings in to my otherwise very neutral house.  And for $10 worth of flowers of every couple of weeks it will be easy to keep up – i would pick flowers from my VERY LUSH, flower filled back yard but that’s another story/project for another day :)

santihome, hometour 273

santihome, hometour 149

santihome, hometour 277

I didn’t dye the water just so you know, the flower must have done that…

santihome, hometour 270

santihome, hometour 268

I will be linking up to these fun parties

**And i know that i promised to show you a couple of updates to the laundry room, but i kind of forgot!  I will get to that in just a couple of days**

30 Responses to {flowers in old mason jars}

1. Lily June 1, 2010 at 4:53 am #

I love flowers in an old mason jar. It makes me think of Grandma's house for some reason…and it always makes me smile.

The pink-water flowers look like Queen Anne's lace, which is usually white. I suspect the flowers themselves were dyed by putting them in dyed water (before you got them), so that they could soak up the color, and now the reverse is happening.

BTW, I LOVE your blog. :)

2. Pamela June 1, 2010 at 5:57 am #

So pretty. I am wanting to find a mason jar soap dispenser but they all cost too much for my taste right now.

3. Kristine at The Painted Hive June 1, 2010 at 7:26 am #

Really pretty Sausha. I just passed-up some mason jars on the weekend casue I wasn't sure what to do with them. I regret it already!
    Kristine

4. Beth@The Stories of A to Z June 1, 2010 at 9:41 am #

Gorgeous! I love your old mason jars and they make perfect vases for your Costco flowers.

5. Crystal June 1, 2010 at 11:15 am #

Flowers are beautiful and the mason jars are great!

6. Polly June 1, 2010 at 12:02 pm #

I'm into old jars lately too! It's amazing how easy they are to find! I'm looking forward to our first summer party so I can line the walk with sand and candle filled blue jars!!

Your photos are very pretty!

Polly

7. trish June 1, 2010 at 12:58 pm #

Oh my. How can we not be jealous … smile! :o) I love your little blue box as well. :o)
    Please feel free to drop by today for my give a way.
    Sincerely ~ Tricia

8. Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys June 1, 2010 at 1:28 pm #

Very cute, Sausha! Check out one of the ways I used my mason jars. I'll be using them for something else later this week (hopefully). I'll email you when I post it.

9. Rachel June 1, 2010 at 2:23 pm #

You got some smokin' deals there. At antique stores the blue mason jars range from eight to ten dollars! Way to go.

10. shara June 1, 2010 at 3:01 pm #

beautiful.. i just wanted to let you know that we/i/my husband and i borrowed your idea for the laundry room/washer/dryer stand. i had to alter mine a little as i was restricted with height but they turned out awesome and i just wanted to say thank you for the awesome idea… i love it. oh, yeah and your blog, house and ideas ROCK! hope you are enjoying sometime with your honey too! happy tuesday~

11. Chris June 1, 2010 at 4:27 pm #

So simple and pretty. Thanks for sharing such a fun idea. Now I just need to get my hands on some blue mason jars!

12. Sally Lee by the Sea June 1, 2010 at 4:34 pm #

These are so charming and lovely…your pictures are fabulous.

Just found you through Coastal Charm linky party – so happy I did :O)

Have a great week.

Marie @ Sally Lee by the Sea
    "Celebrating the Coastal Lifestyle"

13. Jill June 1, 2010 at 4:50 pm #

Oh my gosh, gorgeous! I love using old mason jars for everything (like a toothbrush holder). :)

14. The Autocrat: Haley June 1, 2010 at 9:34 pm #

Looks fabulous! Love the way you added the colored water! Great ideas!

15. Anissa June 1, 2010 at 9:44 pm #

Just letting you know that I WILL be copying this multiple mason jar on a tray idea for staging my house (soon to be on the market). It's PERFECT for the center of my island in the kitchen. LOVE IT! Thanks!

16. Heather June 2, 2010 at 1:56 pm #

Looks beautiful, I love the grouping on the tray especially!

Visiting from Reinvented

17. Emily {Frilly Details} June 4, 2010 at 4:29 am #

What a beautiful arrangement of flowers! I love all your cute jars. Fabulous!

18. Londen @ Sixty-Fifth Avenue June 4, 2010 at 6:08 pm #

this is so pretty!! love the tray too!
    londen

19. Rachelle June 5, 2010 at 3:05 am #

That looks aweeeesome! Come to Michigan and we can spend a day searching for old jars, I love them too!

20. Amy Bowman June 5, 2010 at 8:04 pm #

just wanted to let you know I featured this post today. thanks again for linking up to "AP tuesdays!"

21. Crafty Mom June 5, 2010 at 10:21 pm #

Love THIS! It's simple and gorgeous! Love it! Thanks for sharing!

22. gail@myrepurposedlife.net June 5, 2010 at 10:44 pm #

I love mason jars and I love flowers! so, of course I love the combination!
    great job
    gail

23. Sandy@Life Began In A Garden June 6, 2010 at 1:44 am #

Your posies are beeyootiful!

24. Green Willow Pond June 6, 2010 at 9:27 pm #

Very pretty way to display your flowers. I love the pink water…in fact I think I will dye some on purpose when my peonies bloom and try it!

25. Krista@thegatheringplacedesign June 7, 2010 at 1:34 pm #

I love this! I did something similar with my Grandpa's old tool box. But I don't have old jars…I want some! :)

26. Heather's Haven June 8, 2010 at 6:23 pm #

I was thinking, I never thought about throwing some dye in the clear vases with a color matching the flower, ingenius!
    Than, I read you didn't even plan it. I love when things work out like that.
    I love mason jars as well adn will be using your idea for my next get together.
    Thank you!

27. Jessica Hills June 10, 2010 at 3:26 am #

I love this! So simple and pretty!

28. Diane June 10, 2010 at 5:09 am #

wonderful design with the jars, some of the flowers were most likely dipped to change the color and that is what has tinted the water, it is why I prefer spraying color instead of dipping when I do arrangements for my shop.

29. Stacy@{share and remember} June 14, 2010 at 12:23 pm #

Love the tray with the jars! I have some jars I need to get out & use again.

30. So Many Obsessions ~ Amanda December 13, 2011 at 9:18 pm #

Life with toddlers…I've forgotten what it's like to have fresh flowers sitting out anywhere besides the breakfast bar. *sigh* how pretty!