{slip-cover love}

I have had a serious love for white slip-covers for some time now…why i didn’t buy couches that were already slip covered 3 years ago when i bought these?  don’t know…

But about a year 1/2 after we bought the couches the back cushions were starting to separate from the couch – these couches were not cheap.  Also about that same time i changed the paint colors in my family room/kitchen.  The couches still matched ok but they were crying out “cover me Sausha, cover me!!!”

So i bought the fabric a year 1/2 ago and it sat there – all this time…  At first i was super pumped and ready to go, then i got intimidated – then i got busy with other stuff.

So in January my brother started the sofa for me (he used to re-upholster furniture), then he got busy and wasn’t able to finish it before my husband came home, which was my goal since he left for Iraq last year.

I had a 3 day weekend this past week and decided that i NEED THEM DONE!!!  I started on Friday morning – worked for about 8 hours, started again on Saturday – worked for about 9 hours and now they are officially 95% DONE!!!!

Yeah for me :)  They were not as hard as i thought that they were going to be – i was super disappointed that i couldn’t do the piping/cording because my sewing machine just couldn’t handle all the layers of fabric.  But they turned out good, i am really impressed with my mad sewing skills!  I am a self taught sewer, didn’t follow a pattern, just measured, chalked out and then sewed.  No exact measurements for me though – everything was a pretty rough guess, but it all turned out good.  And i like that the covers are pretty tight – a lot of homemade covers i see are loose.

slipcover 005

I will post the before pics of the sofa soon along with the rest of the room but i was so excited that i wanted to show you guys!  Plus i have been a very bad blogger and needed to get something posted :)

You can see that i haven’t finished the decorative pillows yet – i went and got more fabric today and will finish those up next week.

slipcover 006

sofa 006

I still need to hem the bottom up and i may have a little trick to make the piping work.

There are definitely things that i would have done different and wish i would have done a few extra little things – but i had a deadline and i wasn’t sure exactly how long they were going to take.

Also just so you know, i removed the original pillows that were attached to the couch and bought big comfy 30in x 30in pillows instead.

Anyways, i still need to finish my chair and i will do a tutorial on that one – sorry but no tutorial until then, i didn’t think i had time to take pics when i did these .  But i will show you both of the couches and the room soon :)

21 Responses to {slip-cover love}

1. Anissa May 19, 2010 at 5:30 am #

Amazing accomplishment! I'm a self taught sewer myself, only been doing it about 6 months now. I definitely wouldn't be brave enough to attempt something like slipcovers. Congrats! They look fantastic!

2. Michelle May 19, 2010 at 6:36 am #

You made that? You are now a professional sewer. That is amazing! White couches would only be white for one day in my house!!!!! My kids think the couches are their trampoline!

3. bullie_mama May 19, 2010 at 7:20 am #

I can't believe you made those – they look like they're from Pottery Barn! Good Job! Definitely inspiring me to learn to sew even more. I've been wanting to get a sewing machine and learn, but have been too chicken. Your living room looks gorgeous!
    -Sara.

4. Dixie Sargent Redmond May 19, 2010 at 9:58 am #

That looks great!

5. Crystal May 19, 2010 at 10:27 am #

They look great! You did an awesome job!!!

6. Shaunna May 19, 2010 at 12:01 pm #

These are fabulous!!! I actually just had some made for our sofa and chair and a half, but…I had them made. :) Great accomplishment!!

7. Vanessa May 19, 2010 at 12:03 pm #

They really do look amazing! What kind of fabric did you use?

8. Fran May 19, 2010 at 1:48 pm #

Your slipcovers look great! I would love to sew my own but it scares me to start such a big project like this.

Just curious, but was your sofa from Rowe?

Fran

9. elise May 19, 2010 at 1:58 pm #

they look awesome! way to go!
    that would be me, just kinda winging it— but i doubt mine would have turned out so well:O)

10. Amanda @ Serenity Now May 19, 2010 at 5:40 pm #

I like the "tight" look too! :) You did a great job!

11. Andrea - Faded Plains May 19, 2010 at 9:56 pm #

Your slipcovers look amazing…you did a wondeful job..and I like the fabric you chose for your decorative pillows too.

12. The Boston Lady May 19, 2010 at 10:11 pm #

You did a fantastic job!. A friend helped me reupholster a chair last fall (its on my blog) and it was one of the most time consuming, yet rewarding projects I have done. Good for you, it looks great!

13. Elaine May 19, 2010 at 10:42 pm #

Beautiful, as always! I love the white, wish I could pull it off.

14. Lauren May 19, 2010 at 11:19 pm #

amazing job!

15. ~ Regan May 20, 2010 at 2:07 am #

Very good, Sausha! You are very talented! I wish I had some slipcovers, but unlike you, I haven't gotten over my fear of making them (all by myself)!

16. Clarissa B. May 20, 2010 at 3:33 am #

i am in love love love with your blog!!!!

17. Anne and Whitney: Up, Down and All Around May 20, 2010 at 6:31 pm #

how did you figure out what kind of fabric to use? I LOVE the white couches!!! do you have kids??? I would love to do white slip covers but would probably end up washing them ALL of the time (if i could even figure out how to make the slip covers… how did you know how to sew zippers?
    you are awesome! i LOVE your blog!

18. Kim May 20, 2010 at 7:05 pm #

You did a wonderful job. Yes, they do take a long time…

19. Margo May 23, 2010 at 10:18 pm #

Great job!! I am lovin the white slip covers.. We are going to be redoing our living room and I can see the white slip covers in my near future… :O) Thought I would let you know that I gave you and award… Come on over and check it out.. :O)

20. Pink and Polka Dot May 27, 2010 at 5:56 pm #

Amazing job! I'll be linking you tomorrow!

21. Eileen July 13, 2010 at 2:21 pm #

They look amazing. You must be smiling all day with them. I love the look of the fabric, so smooth and comfy . And It was a great idea to get the new big pillows for the bag. Awesome. My compliments to you!